Ed Reed rips media, says he’s unlikely to land in New England

Baltimore Ravens free safety Ed Reed (20) warms up during the NFL's Super Bowl XLVII  football practice in New Orleans, Louisiana Reuters

Ravens safety Ed Reed is aware of the stories linking him to the Patriots, and he’s not happy about them.

Reed said his quotes about being able to see himself in a Patriots uniform have been taken out of context by reporters who are looking to create stories during Super Bowl week.

“The bad part about this is that you all ask the question, but don’t write down everything that someone says,” Reed told reporters on Thursday. “People only get a part of what the comment was. I don’t have to say much about that. My heart is in Baltimore. The question is, ‘Would I play for Bill Belicheck?’ Yes. What football player wouldn’t play for Coach Belicheck? Will I be in New England? Most likely not. It’s just terrible that people get half of the story.”

Reed will become a free agent in March, and the Patriots may be among several teams that will offer him a contract. But Reed thinks talk of his landing in New England is just talk.

Permalink 50 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Baltimore Ravens, New England Patriots, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
50 Responses to “Ed Reed rips media, says he’s unlikely to land in New England”
  1. sb44champs says: Feb 1, 2013 8:45 AM

Why don’t you stay on down in New Orleans, we need a good safety for our new DC/scheme..

2. it's all bs says: Feb 1, 2013 8:45 AM

Hey Ed…how long u been in the NFL???

Seriously and u are just now figuring this out???

3. dtr3e says: Feb 1, 2013 8:46 AM

He’s right, cuz he’s going back to play for Rex Ryan next season.

4. hooks024 says: Feb 1, 2013 8:46 AM

who wouldn’t want to play for belichick? anyone who employs Tom Condon as their agent!

5. ravanator says: Feb 1, 2013 8:48 AM

Reed is a great player and I hope he goes to the Patriots so he can have the chance to win the Superbowl next year, we all know he is not going to win it this year! Hugs and Kisses!

6. wikidpissah says: Feb 1, 2013 8:49 AM

================================

Perfect!

7. ridingwithnohandlebars says: Feb 1, 2013 8:49 AM

Welcome to Super Bowl week Ed, where every news source tries its best to come up with the juiciest story.

Of course they are going to leave out the part where you say “If it was up to me, I would be right in Baltimore.” because that is a boring story.

8. dspyank2k11 says: Feb 1, 2013 8:53 AM

Ed, as a Bills fan, I must applaud your statement.

New England has enough playmakers as it is.

9. urfinished says: Feb 1, 2013 8:54 AM

Every now and then you side with the player on these type of quotes…this is one of those times.

10. joetoronto says: Feb 1, 2013 8:54 AM

This Super Bowl is way too political and I’m afraid it’s only going to get worse.

11. longhairdontcare66 says: Feb 1, 2013 9:02 AM

He could be a Packer

12. steelers2223 says: Feb 1, 2013 9:06 AM

Not the sharpest crayon in the box, but a great player.

13. dbones750 says: Feb 1, 2013 9:06 AM

ed reed is a football god

14. ravenator says: Feb 1, 2013 9:11 AM

Obviously he’s not going to New England. Baltimore owns that team.

15. stlunatik says: Feb 1, 2013 9:12 AM

STL has a contract already typed up Mr Reed.

16. thechronicjoker says: Feb 1, 2013 9:13 AM

It could be worse, instead of the Patriots it could be the Jets

17. Patskrieg dot com says: Feb 1, 2013 9:15 AM

I guess if I was getting ready to play the biggest game of my life and everyone was already talking about the offseason I’d be mad too.

18. rufustfireflyjr says: Feb 1, 2013 9:19 AM

Read this as “yeah, I said it, but I didn’t mean it/I didn’t realize how much it would tick people off/didn’t think anybody was paying attention/didn’t think anybody would believe me, so I’ll blame the media. Dude, it’s tired.

19. j0esixpack says: Feb 1, 2013 9:26 AM

Reed’s anger is understandable.

He was asked a question during Super Bowl week and he answered honestly.

All of a sudden some make it seem like he’s looking for a new job before he even plays in the Super Bowl. that’s insulting to him and his entire team.

If anyone thinks Reed is focused on anything other than Sunday’s game, they don’t know Ed Reed.

20. spartan822 says: Feb 1, 2013 9:27 AM

So you’re telling me the media isn’t always truthful? Shocking.

21. EJ says: Feb 1, 2013 9:31 AM

I think Reed is just speaking up about this now to make sure that he still has interest from teams come next season when he hits Free Agency. He is getting up there in age and will probably only receive one more decent 2-3yr contract. I can see him playing until he is 40, but NFL teams will probably only go with him until 37-38 years old. I am sure if the Ravens don’t give him the chance to retire in Baltimore, someone will. I can see him in New York, New England, Miami, Denver or New Orleans. He still has enough in him to draw some good attention.

22. gator2006 says: Feb 1, 2013 9:34 AM

Preach. I wish this Super Bowl was about future HOFer Reed getting his first championship, but instead it’s all about Ray Ray. Love Reed, even as a Gator.

23. shrimpboots says: Feb 1, 2013 9:38 AM

Next year, Ed Reed will be a Saint, playing in Rob Ryan’s 3-4 defense.

24. glazerh8er says: Feb 1, 2013 9:43 AM

Ed Reed is a HOF’er. This is a non-story, kind of a dumb decision to take the bait on that comment, but he is in a position to say just about anything he wants. On a side note, I love seeing players with grey hair play at a high level, when Joey Galloway was with the Bucs he had grey hair and was around the same age and jogging by people. Super entertaining.

25. Steeler's Will-enator says: Feb 1, 2013 9:51 AM

I wish he’d stay with the Ravens, but business is business. Even if he plays a couple years elsewhere I’m sure he’ll still get the one day contract offer to retire as a Raven when he’s ready to hang it up, and it won’t cheapen it one bit.

26. noquickreactionshere says: Feb 1, 2013 9:53 AM

Reed will end up one of three places next year.. I’ll put odds on it.

Retired 50%
    Ravens35%
    Colts 15%

Nobody is linking him to a Colts team that needs a safety and is coached by his long time friend… former DC… and the coach who recruited him to play at Miami?

He is hanging it up (He talks about that every year) playing for the Ravens or playing for the Colts.

27. mrtrappedinmymindsr says: Feb 1, 2013 9:59 AM

Washington?

28. ravenscaps48 says: Feb 1, 2013 10:05 AM

Does anybody else think that Ed Reed kinda looks like Frederick Douglas?

29. tcostant says: Feb 1, 2013 10:08 AM

How dare the media report what I say!

30. johnclaytonsponytail says: Feb 1, 2013 10:15 AM

He has a Better chance of playin back home in Nola than in New England. We need a safety and they already have a FS.

31. 69finfan says: Feb 1, 2013 10:19 AM

You all know that he was on TV when he was asked this question the other day and what was reported is what he said on TV. He came across as salavating at the opportunity to play for BB and the Patriots. Stephen A. Smith was flabbergasted at his comments.

32. beargonephishing says: Feb 1, 2013 10:21 AM

What he’s doing here is backtracking because his agent told him that teams won’t bid him up if they think he’s going to New England. If he doesn’t stay in Baltimore, he’ll go to whoever pays him the most.

And as a longtime Ravens fan, I hope Ed Reed gets a lot of money next year… but not for the Ravens. He’s been a phenomenal player and still has enough smarts to put fear into opposing QBs, but with the salary cap you can’t afford to overpay because of sentiment. It sucks, but it’s reality. Overpaying on Reed would mean that we’d probably be unable to sign other impact players (like Kruger) or be forced to cut bigger salaries (Boldin/J. Jones).

33. acanniv says: Feb 1, 2013 10:32 AM

Ed? Hi, John Elway here….

34. patriotinvasion says: Feb 1, 2013 10:36 AM

So you’re sayin’ there’s a chance!

35. howiefeltersnatch says: Feb 1, 2013 10:37 AM

Please get this guy out of my division already

36. faninvirginia says: Feb 1, 2013 10:38 AM

Interesting thing is Reed doesnt use an agent. I think i heard one of just 2 guys in NFL. He will try to fit in Balto if he can

Trust in Ozzie

If there just isnt cap room (and i would take Kruger and Ellerbe in exchange for him) then i wonder how Smith would do there?

37. ravenmuscle says: Feb 1, 2013 11:15 AM

I love Ed Reed.

38. swampdawg80 says: Feb 1, 2013 11:17 AM

Hope the Saints sign him. He will be much needed and it would be cool to play in his home state.

39. vincentbojackson says: Feb 1, 2013 11:51 AM

Someone in the Ravens organization obviously had an adult conversation with Ed about his focus.

How can “I can definitely see playing for Pats” be misinterpreted?

40. ahostiletakeover says: Feb 1, 2013 12:07 PM

I think Chuck Pagano and his Colts will be the dark horse in the free agency of Ed Reed, no one seems to remember that Pagano is the one who helped recruit Reed to the U, those two have a long history and friendship. I’m a Ravens fan and I hope the Ravens can work out a deal with Reed but it looks pretty doubtful at this moment.

41. ravensdominate says: Feb 1, 2013 12:27 PM

The media is relentlessly attacking Baltimore. It’s a joke. Baltimore loves our players especially Ray Ray and that’s all that matters. All you haters and media scum bags do not.

42. bobonmycob says: Feb 1, 2013 12:28 PM

faninvirginia says:Feb 1, 2013 10:38 AM

Trust in Ozzie

LOL… as I have said before… if thats what helps you sleep at night

43. jimranes says: Feb 1, 2013 12:55 PM

The Patriots and Ed Reed would be an amazing pairing. Ed Reed is one of the best safeties in the NFL, if not the best. The Patriots secondary was subpar at best. Ed Reed like Tom Brady is a game changer. As a Pats fan, I would love to see Ed Reed in a Patriots uniform next season!

44. dlk47823 says: Feb 1, 2013 1:11 PM

Can’t go to New Orleans….Unless Bress gives up half his contract

45. 13car says: Feb 1, 2013 1:45 PM

Isn’t this site a prime example on someone who misreported his words? I believe two days ago there was a headline Ed Reed could “definitely” see himself as a Patriot

46. ajgreenshands says: Feb 1, 2013 3:20 PM

Who is Ed Ree?

47. johnclaytonsponytail says: Feb 1, 2013 4:22 PM

Dlk47823, were going to pay Harper 7 mill this year. I would gladly give Reed that to come here and play. And Loomis is a genius with the cap. He’ll give Brees a 10 mill signing bonus to free up cap room.

48. cardiffgiant11 says: Feb 1, 2013 11:05 PM

Smart move by Reed to not give the media more ammo for a story before the game is played. Regardless of if he ends up resigning in Baltimore or not, he’s already subscribing to the same “business first” attitude that Belichick and the Patriots epitomize so I definitely can see how they may be a fit.

Would love to see him in a Pats uniform, but won’t be surprised if it doesn’t happen.

49. CKL says: Feb 2, 2013 2:53 AM

BTW, it’s spelled “Belichick” not Belichek”.

50. gimmeabruschi says: Feb 7, 2013 10:20 AM

Translation: My Ravens teammates gave me a hard time about the comments so now I’m backpedaling.