Mike Holmgren says it would be a “big surprise” for him to return to coaching

Mike Holmgren AP

Former Cleveland Browns president Mike Holmgren has moved back to the Seattle area after his three-year run as the right-hand man to former owner Randy Lerner. Holmgren was let go as team president after Jimmy Haslam bought the team from Lerner last year.

Holmgren joined the Dave “Softy” Mahler show on Sports Radio KJR in Seattle Thursday to discuss his tenure with the Browns and if he has any future plans for returning to the NFL.

“It would be a big surprise to be honest,” Holmgren said.

Holmgren didn’t completely rule out the possibility of returning because he still has the itch to coach. He said having to watch games from the owner’s box for Browns games and not be able to affect the outcome of games was a difficult thing for him to handle. He doesn’t know if that itch to coach will ever leave, but he feels pretty comfortable with him situation at the moment.

“I don’t know if that ever just flat leaves you. I really don’t,” Holmgren said. “…Right now, I’m feeling pretty good about stuff. Now what happens is after about a month, a month-and-a-half, Kathy doesn’t want me around the house. Then you go, OK, where do I go? I could walk down the street to the barber shop and hang out there. That I’m sure is coming down the horn. We’ll just have to see. Take it one day at a time.”

Holmgren said he understood being let go by Haslam but he believes they build a solid base for new general manager Michael Lombardi and head coach Rob Chudzinski to build on.

“The hard part was I think we had built a pretty good foundation,” Holmgren said. “We didn’t produce on the field like I would like, but I think moving forward, keep an eye on them. I think they’re going to be fine.”

Permalink 19 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Cleveland Browns, Home, Rumor Mill
19 Responses to “Mike Holmgren says it would be a “big surprise” for him to return to coaching”
  1. scothawk says: Feb 1, 2013 3:37 AM

Gee, I guess you will jsut have to start spending those millions you hoovered up.

2. Gravy says: Feb 1, 2013 5:37 AM

Mr. Ego.

3. nokoolaidcowboy says: Feb 1, 2013 6:08 AM

Somewhere in Texas, Jason Garrett’s job just got a little less secure.

4. jrock3x8 says: Feb 1, 2013 6:25 AM

expecting a headline tomorrow that says that he took a college head coaching job because he was “dying to get back in”.

It seems like the words out of Holmgren’s mouth change daily.

5. joeyfalco says: Feb 1, 2013 6:45 AM

You and Heckert seemed to be on the right track, but why Brandon Weeden? WHHHHHYYYYYYYY???

6. hekofit says: Feb 1, 2013 7:16 AM

For all the bitching in the Cleveland media, Holmgren was brought in to stop the chaos and knee jerk moves, build a foundation for the team’s long term success.
    Considering how messed up the Browns were, he put together the foundation that will bring the Browns to the level of competitive NFL football.

7. skon300 says: Feb 1, 2013 7:42 AM

Prediction : He will be head coach of the Jets after Rex gets tbe boot

8. Shinnbone says: Feb 1, 2013 7:54 AM

Really coach? You seem to be the only guy who keeps putting his name out there? Just go play golf or for a walk in the neighborhood. I’m glad you helped the Packers win a Super Bowl but move on coach, you’re done. I’m starting to see where Favre learned about all his drama…I’m gonna retire no I’m not.
    I’m gonna coach…no I’m not. Hmmmm

9. Beezo-Doo-doo-Zippity-Bop-bop-bop says: Feb 1, 2013 8:15 AM

Maybe the Hawks will bring him back after they sour on the clown they have now.

10. umainebearman says: Feb 1, 2013 8:40 AM

How would it be a surprise? You don’t just wake up and find out “Oh my god! I’m a coach!!!!”.

11. packattack1967 says: Feb 1, 2013 9:01 AM

Has any guy been fired from more front office jobs? Decent coach, nothing more. And not a very good man in my opinion.

12. jjackwagon says: Feb 1, 2013 9:08 AM

Yes. When no teams show any interest in you , it’s always a “big surprise”.

13. fumblenuts says: Feb 1, 2013 9:44 AM

Maybe you could take up fishing with former GM Tim Ruskell…………

14. dws123 says: Feb 1, 2013 10:19 AM

I love how he went to Seattle media to discuss his tenure in CLEVELAND. At least he’s been consistent over the last 3 years; this guy never gave anyone in Cleveland the time of day for anything. Good riddance.

15. dprouse says: Feb 1, 2013 11:04 AM

You never know, of course, but I’m not sure that Holmgren will ever get “the call” again. After all, Brian Billick had a pretty good run in Baltimore, and his phone has been awfully quiet despite his clear desire to have an NFL head coaching gig again. With the exception of Andy Reid, the recent trend seems to be towards new faces as opposed to recycled head coaches.

16. mazblast says: Feb 1, 2013 11:07 AM

dws123 says: Feb 1, 2013 10:19 AM

——————————–
    He lives in Seattle and was talking to a Seattle radio station. We don’t know who initiated the contact. Do you know with absolute certainty that any Cleveland media outlet even attempted to talk to him?

17. s1138 says: Feb 1, 2013 11:15 AM

Mike Holmgren might be able to turn a team around, like he has done. But it just takes hime 6-7 years to build a winner. Who really wants to wait that long?

18. hawkfan50 says: Feb 1, 2013 2:34 PM

Welcome back home to Seattle coach ! You and Kathy will always be well loved by Hawk fans ..

And for someone to say he’s “not a very good man” , you have to be kidding ! He and his wife have been helping charities , visiting hospitals … they’re the best neighbors and fellow community members you could hope to have .

Glad to have you back in Seattle Mike and Kathy . Welcome home .

19. brownspower says: Feb 3, 2013 10:12 AM

“Holmgren didn’t completely rule out the possibility of returning because he still has the itch to coach.”

That is to say, I’m still willing to take the millions if there’s any teams out there that haven’t caught my act lately. :-(