Bill Parcells says New England is spoiled by the Patriots

ny_g_parcells1_576 Getty Images

Former Patriots coach Bill Parcells thinks the folks in New England should think about how lucky they are to have a team so good.

Asked by Dan Shaughnessy of the Boston Globe about criticism that the Patriots have become a finesse team, Parcells answered with an emphatic, “No!”

“Who says that? They ran the ball good this year,” Parcells said. “I don’t know what happened in the playoffs, but here’s what I say to you guys in New England: You guys are spoiled. Really, you are. You’ve got to remember how the other half lives. You forgot. I was there for it, so I know. Just remember, you could be like some of these other franchises that you see. You got a couple of ’em in your division.’’

Parcells didn’t leave New England under good terms, but he says he has buried the hatchet with Patriots owner Bob Kraft and wishes the team well.

“That’s over with,’’ said Parcells. “It’s been over for a long time. We’re both at the age where we don’t have time for these things. There are a lot of things that I would do differently. I was very sad to leave New England. I put a lot of blood in that team. That was a Super Bowl team and we were young. Come on. We had a pretty good club there. We had a good group of players.’’

Parcells also said he had dinner with Patriots coach Bill Belichick on Tuesday, and that he has no doubt that Belichick is going to keep winning in New England.

“He’s obviously disappointed in this year, but not despondent,” said Parcells. “He’s determined, like he always is. They have a good team. They’re going to be good for a while longer, I can tell you that.’’

An NFL team that’s been good for more than a decade, and is set up to be good for a while longer, is something everyone in New England should appreciate.

Permalink 110 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: New England Patriots, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
110 Responses to “Bill Parcells says New England is spoiled by the Patriots”
  1. jets13 says: Feb 2, 2013 12:08 PM

Trust me, as a Jets fan from Mass he is 100% right.

If I had a dollar for every time I’ve heard: “I dont even think I’m going to watch the game this year”……..I’d be at the game.

2. downslide33 says: Feb 2, 2013 12:10 PM

Parcells is 1000% correct. We have had it great here as Pats fans for almost 20 yrs. Bledsoe and Brady . Most franchises would kill to have had either of those qbs, never mind both of them.

New England has a great qb, great coach, great owner. It doesnt get much better than that.

3. packerblitz says: Feb 2, 2013 12:12 PM

SPOILED? CAN’T BE THAT GOOD. THEY DIDN’T EVEN MAKE THE SUPER BOWL THIS YEAR.

4. lks311 says: Feb 2, 2013 12:12 PM

The fan base of the Detroit Lions will gladly trade for your “finesse” team and you can rebuild their hot mess into any more manly form you’d like.

5. kattykathy says: Feb 2, 2013 12:12 PM

I agree Bill. They are spoiled. But you forgot to add that they are VERY, VERY obnoxious, and mouthy also.

Not to forget to add that the “fans” only became “fans” about a decade ago.

6. spoilerfutbol says: Feb 2, 2013 12:12 PM

100% right Parcells!

“They spoiled my dreams” Marshall Faulk

7. drewsylvania says: Feb 2, 2013 12:13 PM

Might be the most accurate thing the Tuna has ever said. Our fan base needs to realize this soon, otherwise we’re going to have another Red Sox on our hands.

8. yankeemofo says: Feb 2, 2013 12:14 PM

Haha…Bill “let’s run a draw play up the middle 3 times from 1st and goal” Parcells!

9. mazblast says: Feb 2, 2013 12:14 PM

It also doesn’t hurt that the commissioner and your owner are such pals.

10. thesmartest1 says: Feb 2, 2013 12:16 PM

Come on Bill it’s nice you’ve become mellow in your older years. That the D is Cleveland Belichick bad for years since taping screams loudly this team will suck when Brady goes and Belichick will crumble. It’s why you have to be nice to people on the way up- You’re going to pass them all on the way down. New England was spoiled with Brady, some good coaches and some tape. That’s been over for years. Only Brady remains.

11. randy8123 says: Feb 2, 2013 12:18 PM

12. jamaltimore says: Feb 2, 2013 12:18 PM

Flacco owns you. Had it not been for drops by clayton and evans I don’t think Joe would lose in NE.

13. randy8123 says: Feb 2, 2013 12:18 PM

As a Pats fan I could not agree more. The fan base here has become the worst – acting like the playoffs and a Super Bowl appearance is a birthright. IMO best owner, coach and QB in the NFL for the last ten plus years and the suits and pink hats think they deserve it just for putting the game on. I know it can’t last, and one more ring would be icing, but this has been an amazing run, and people up here still whine. Just be a fan.

14. deathonwings410 says: Feb 2, 2013 12:21 PM

Luck the Patriots play in the cup cake division that is the afc east. They can pretty much mark down 5-6 wins per year.

15. nzayir says: Feb 2, 2013 12:21 PM

Patriots fans have completely lost perspective. They are way to hard on the team and never stop to smell the roses at all.

Once Brady and Belichick leave the Patriots will be like every other team. They’ll have good seasons every now and then but mostly they will be an average to below average team.

Every year the Patriots have given this fan a reason to believe I’ve watched what will go down as the greatest era in Patriots football history in it’s entirety. I’ve witnessed three Super Bowl Championships five Super Bowl appearances and seven AFC Championship game appearances.

At this point I just love watching the Patriots play football. Would I like to see another Super Bowl title? Of course. But only one team wins every year and just knowing that my team has as good of a chance as anybody else is something that I appreciate greatly.

16. fearthehoody says: Feb 2, 2013 12:21 PM

True that! As a Pat fan in SoCal, if they barely beat say the Bills, in an unimpressive win, I complain to friends and coworkers the next day! Plus something like a 10-6 season would seem like a terrible year to Pats fans aswell

17. supesfan34 says: Feb 2, 2013 12:22 PM

He’s right.

18. packhawk04 says: Feb 2, 2013 12:22 PM

Im not a pats fan but i agree. Im a packer fan, and after having favre and now rodgers, a lot of packer fans dont remember the 70s and 80s, and a lot of them werent fans until the mid 90s. Since 1992, the packers have averaged 11 wins per season, had 2 super bowl wins. The patriots have been even better since 2000. The haters of these teams, and there are plenty, would give their left and right nuts in a minute for their teams to have the same success.

19. wwwmattcom says: Feb 2, 2013 12:24 PM

People who antagonize ruin sports. Some fans, players oh hey this article. I dont credit fans for a teams success so I wont blame them for being victims of success. Like yankee fans. I will blame the media.

20. billsfan1 says: Feb 2, 2013 12:26 PM

considering how you and the Jets were the laughing stock of the division in the 90’s when the Bills ran roughshod over everybody and Miami was good too. Not that you guys didnt have good seasons but from 88 to 99 the Bills were (for the most part the class of the division).
    SO i grew up thinking success has lasted forever, and my 15 year old son grew up thinking success avoids Buffalo. It can change quick and be painful.

enjoy it because in 6 years when BB and TB are gone and if perhaps you are really struggling, these missed Super Bowls wont seem so bad.

It hurts that Buffalo lost 4 in a row and was one play away from 6 AFC championships in a row but id take those over the crap im dealing with now..

21. geofferystevens says: Feb 2, 2013 12:29 PM

Life long Lions fan… We would love just one of those seasons.

22. justintuckrule says: Feb 2, 2013 12:32 PM

Their like Yankee fans who want to blow up the roster if they don’t win a championship every year. Hello…you’ve been to the playoffs a million years in a row and too many sbs to count. Would you rather be the browns whose season is over by November every year?

23. punkthepack says: Feb 2, 2013 12:32 PM

Packer fans are FAR more annoying.

24. ialwayswantedtobeabanker says: Feb 2, 2013 12:34 PM

Not speaking for all concerned, but Parcells is absolutely right.

Similarly, my Steeler brothers and sisters are spoiled too. I can’t tell you how many people who supposedly bleed Black and Gold wanted Ike Taylor’s head on a platter after the Tebow to Demaryius throw. They lose all perspective of reality.

This point could be elaborated on forever, but Parcells is right on. This isn’t yesterday’s NFL. 32 teams, salary cap, free agency (UFA and RFA)`

25. ravenator says: Feb 2, 2013 12:37 PM

They’re also cheaters. Did you mention that Bill?

26. letemplay says: Feb 2, 2013 12:37 PM

Yes they are spoiled but not all of them. There are some good Pats fans and some good Sox fans out there. These guys have been living and dying with the teams for a very long time. They are not spoiled because they know what it is like when you’re not considered a perennial contender.

There are also a lot of Pats and Sox fans that just showed up about a decade ago. These guys root for who is currently winning. They also have steelers, lakers, and heat jerseys in their closet. They are the proverbial “pink hat” crew and they are spoiled because they don’t understand losing. They don’t get that losing with your team can bond you to a team just as much as winning can. They jump ship before that lesson sinks in.

27. meattornado says: Feb 2, 2013 12:38 PM

Bill Parcells, the next Batman villain?

28. harrisonhits2 says: Feb 2, 2013 12:38 PM

“thesmartest1 says:
    Feb 2, 2013 12:16 PM
    That the D is Cleveland Belichick bad for years since taping”

So you’re claiming that since they stopped taping defensive signals that didn’t help the Pats defense in any way, that the Pats D is not good anymore because they’re not taping.

Lolercoaster another rocket scientist form the tin foil hat and propellor beanie club.

29. nepo784 says: Feb 2, 2013 12:38 PM

NE has become an amature fan base. The stadium experience is that equal to being at a movie theatre. Spoiled bunch of clowns, resembles nothing close to the old Foxboro Stadium. In due time they’ll see how the other half lives

30. navyteach says: Feb 2, 2013 12:38 PM

As a life-long Patriots fan, I remember how the Patriots were as a kid. The ’86 team was a nice ride but we knew that the Patriots weren’t a match for the Bears. Beating Marino’s Dolphins was our Super Bowl that year. There were a lot more years of ineptitude than competitiveness until the Kraft family and Parcells came along. Can we ever forget the Rod Rust or Dick McPherson years?

I realize that the NFL is cyclical, the Patriots won’t be a top 5 team every year forever. I enjoy each year because I will never forget what it was like when they were a consistant cellar-dwellar.

31. bigbenownsthenfl says: Feb 2, 2013 12:38 PM

Ya same with Steelers and our fans. We believe It’s our birth right!

32. youcantmakemepickausername says: Feb 2, 2013 12:41 PM

I would imagine it’s not just Patriots, but pretty much New England/Boston fans in general being a bit spoiled.

I mean, the Patriots would undoubtedly win “Team of the Decade” for the 2000’s and every year they’re considered one of the favorites to make or win the Super Bowl, yet they have the longest title “drought” (a whopping 8 seasons) of any of Boston’s four professional teams.

So, yeah, add this Philly fan to the list of fan bases that would trade places pretty quick.

33. CKL says: Feb 2, 2013 12:45 PM

The Pats are the most successful team with the WORST “homefield advantage” in the NFL. I mean you could hear a pin drop in that place most of the time. It’s so frustrating as a fan who has to watch on tv to see other stadiums, even outdoor ones like Gillette whose fans really bring the noise. I thought it was just tv maybe but people who’ve gone confirm that it’s the people too. Some is the acoustics of the stadium, but some is the people there. I mean they had a hard time selling out their playoff game against Balt after 09. During a game in 05, they cheered louder for underwear models than for their team which had just won their third SB in 4 years. By the end of this Balt game, the Balt fans were louder than the Pats fans. At SB 39, the Eagles fans made the neutral site sound like a Philly home game. Give me a break. Sure we all critique stuff the team does and there’s nothing wrong with that. I even get fans who boo though I wouldn’t. But in the long view, it’s wonderful to have an owner like BK and a HC like BB. Players come and go, but they make it tick.

Also, I knew BB & BP were on speaking terms now. I’ve even seen them talking at the Combine. But I didn’t know they were on good enough terms to have dinner together. They probably didn’t talk that much when BB worked for BP. :D

34. tsasotv says: Feb 2, 2013 12:45 PM

I grew up watching the Patriots, and for a long time they were one of the have-nots. No one wanted to play for them, new coach every other year, our top can’t miss draft picks never panned out… until Kraft bought the team and brought in Parcells. There have been a lot of Happy Mondays since, and believe me, we’re grateful for it.

35. thisonesforpat says: Feb 2, 2013 12:48 PM

And cheaters, too.

36. 4evrnyt says: Feb 2, 2013 12:57 PM

Belichick and Brady will both retire at the same time and that’s coming in the next 3 years so enjoy it while it lasts because when they’re gone that team is done.

37. riverhorsey says: Feb 2, 2013 1:00 PM

Parcells has taken his team to the playoffs with the NY Giants, NE, NY Jets, Dallas and pulled a worst to first in Miami.

I think the guy has some cred.

38. Raddion says: Feb 2, 2013 1:04 PM

Not to forget to add that the “fans” only became “fans” about a decade ago.

————————————————

That’s not true for all Pats fans. Some of us were going to Sullivan Stadium loyally for years before the logo even changed to the strange Elvis thingie. Aluminum benches, Billy Sullivan, Steve Grogan, Tony Eason, Raymond Berry, Squishing the Fish in the Orange Bowl, Da Bears, Rod Rust (won 1 game in his only year as coach), Dick MacPherson, Victor Kiam, Lisa Olsen, James Orthwein, the near-move to St. Louis, drafting Drew Bledsoe, Bob Kraft, Parcells, Pete Carroll, Bill Belichick…

Yep, there are Patriot fans that lived through all of that – still got all the old newspapers to prove it – and sure, those fans might be a *little* spoiled by the team’s successes since Kraft took over. But how could longtime fans ever forget the unusual, wandering, and ultimately electrifying path that this original AFL team has taken through NFL history? I really don’t care about the camera thing anymore. I was disappointed with them all that year for disregarding an obviously important memo from the League, but they paid the price dearly and I do think they deserved to lose the Super Bowl and the “perfect” season, which they eventually did. This past season was a great one but I think that in the end it wasn’t Talib’s hamstring, it wasn’t anybody choking or whatever that did them in. It was that ding-dong Gronk, getting another serious injury at crunch time that stopped Mr. William Belichick from hoisting that SB trophy one more time. Next year!!!!

39. steelbreeze676 says: Feb 2, 2013 1:06 PM

It really doesn’t seem that long ago that I didn’t really think my team could ever be a premiere team. I mean, the idea just seemed ridiculous to me. But I still loved my team, watched every single game. The highlight was watching them get humiliated by the Bears in the Super Bowl once. I thought that might be the best it would ever be in my lifetime.

Years later I’m insanely grateful that my team has turned into something really special. I don’t identify with the arrogant and obnoxious fans, they actually represent everything I hate about sports. And I d0n’t consider them real Patriots fans anyway. The real fans are the ones that were there watching Steve Grogan… if you haven’t gone through some severe suffering as a Patriots fan, then my guess is you aren’t a Patriots fan.

There will come a time where the team will be in decline, and these days where we have been riding high will be a distant memory. The fair weather fans will be long gone, or waiting out football until they are good again… but I’ll still be there.

I love Bill Parcells and I hate him too… I hate that he knew he was leaving us before finishing the job, went to a division team (not really yet a rival) and took half the players with him. But I’d be nuts to not recognize that when he went to the Patriots that was the beginning of a long turnaround. I still remember when it was announced and I was thinking to myself “why would a premiere coach like Bill Parcells go to a B team like the Patriots?”

I love my team. I’m lucky and I know it. And when I’m not lucky… I’ll still love my team.

40. truthfactory says: Feb 2, 2013 1:07 PM

0 super bowls in the last 8 years??… There are plenty of teams who share in that “success”.

41. tjgoodfella says: Feb 2, 2013 1:10 PM

When Tom Brady retires Bill Belicheat won’t look like such a genius. Maybe he will be able to get his old job back in Cleveland once NE starts losing again. Without hitting the lottery on Tom Brady, the last 10 years would have been much different.

42. scalfor3 says: Feb 2, 2013 1:10 PM

I’m a diehard Pats, Celts and B’s fan (baseball only exists to pass the time until training camp in my mind), but a majority of New England fans suck. We’ve been spoiled rotten and the fans have no perspective any more. I do think some of it is the influence of the Boston sports media, which has certainly earned its nefarious reputation. Felger and Borges in particular are horrendous; you’d think the Pats were a 4-12 every year listening to those two.

43. puntonfirstdown says: Feb 2, 2013 1:16 PM

Success breeds complacency, and not just in sports. I feel sorry for fans of too many teams to count who have lived long lives and never experience a championship. My team has won six NFL titles in my lifetime. But it takes a person a long time to come to the place where he can accept that in every year, there are 31 losers. Your team can’t win a championship every year, so savor it when they do and adopt a “next year!” philosophy until training camp comes around. And with a little luck, one of your team’s main rivals could be 0-4 in the Super Bowl.

44. joetoronto says: Feb 2, 2013 1:19 PM

He’s right on the money, Pats fans have been spoiled for some time now.

Things are going to change soon and then we’ll see who the real Pats fans are.

45. dyhrdpatsfan says: Feb 2, 2013 1:19 PM

The man is the reason Im a patriot fan today… Couldn’t have said it better!!..

46. vegasbearfan says: Feb 2, 2013 1:19 PM

Keep dreamin Patriot fans- you in decline now. In two or three years ,Kraft will start the rebuilding process.

47. raiderlyfe510 says: Feb 2, 2013 1:21 PM

I think those fans are more concerned with when Red Sox pitchers and catchers are reporting to spring training than the Patriots and that AFC championship game loss

48. steelcurtainn says: Feb 2, 2013 1:21 PM

Whats there to be spoiled about they haven’t won a superbowl in 10 years. Bill Parcells is the one thats spoiled.

49. j0esixpack says: Feb 2, 2013 1:21 PM

There’s plenty of us who literally froze our asses off on the aluminum bleachers of Sullivan Stadium cheering on 1-15 and 2-14 teams who know how good we have it.

Kraft, Parcells and Bledsoe were the ones who turned things around.

Pete Carrol and Bobby Greer nearly botched it up but Belichick and Brady then brought the team to the promised land of 3 Super Bowls and the best winning record in the NFL for a decade and counting.

The youngins might not remember the lean times but all of the veteran fans know how good we have it.

50. marcuswelby1 says: Feb 2, 2013 1:25 PM

packerblitz says:
    Feb 2, 2013 12:12 PM
    SPOILED? CAN’T BE THAT GOOD. THEY DIDN’T EVEN MAKE THE SUPER BOWL THIS YEAR.

————————————————————-

Didn’t have to work the drive thru window today?

51. dlk47823 says: Feb 2, 2013 1:25 PM

Idiot Bills fan= Parcells took the Jets to the AFC Championship in the nineties, they were not at the bottom of the division. Testaverde led the league in passing and the Jets went 12-4 as the # 2 seed before losing the AFC Championship to Elway in Denver.

52. flash1283 says: Feb 2, 2013 1:26 PM

tjgoodfella says:
    Feb 2, 2013 1:10 PM

Ah yes!! Another hater myth. “The patriots sucked prior to 2001″
    Granted they have had there most success since 2001 but if you morons would do your homework you would find that the Patriots have the BEST record in the NFL since 1993 and have played in the most SB since that time. The owners have a lot to do with that. So yes when Brady is gone they may have a down season or two but that won’t be for long.

53. 1972wasalongtimeago says: Feb 2, 2013 1:29 PM

Notice the reference to the Dog Crap teams in the AFC East? He should know since he was the architect of one of them.

54. ravioles says: Feb 2, 2013 1:30 PM

Just a weak fan base. There is a reason why ravens fans were able to take over their stadium during the arc championship.

55. thebigtebowski says: Feb 2, 2013 1:40 PM

The vast majority of NE and Boston fans are delusional, obnoxious and know very little about sports. The sense of entitlement they possess is disgusting. It’s a shame so much winning across all sports has been wasted on such a terrible fan base.

56. tombradyishotgarbage says: Feb 2, 2013 1:45 PM

Spoiled AND Racist!! Thumbs down if the truth hurts.

57. radrntn says: Feb 2, 2013 1:48 PM

life without tom brady will be different…although he still has another 2 to 3 good years, so tell me this in 5 years….is anybody willing to bet billichick retires when brady does?

58. hardeestymichael8 says: Feb 2, 2013 1:55 PM

Once apon a time I can remember when WE Cowboys fans were spoiled!!Enjoy your team’s success as long as you can, New England fans-for there will come a time when NOW will become ” the good ‘ole days”. (!)

59. guvsta says: Feb 2, 2013 1:59 PM

1972wasalongtimeago- you stole my line lol. Exactly what I was thinking.

60. whatjusthapped says: Feb 2, 2013 2:00 PM

They are spoiled, they can cheat and when they get caught, the NFL destroys all the tapes.

Now name another franchise that would get treated with kid gloves like the Patriots?

While you’re at it, name me another franchise that hasn’t won a Superbowl since they got caught cheating?

61. hehateme2 says: Feb 2, 2013 2:04 PM

And Miami is still digging out of the mess Fat Tuna put them in.

The Dolphins owned the pats/division for decades but you know…. times change. For him not to admitthat the pats are soft is just dumb!

62. Henry says: Feb 2, 2013 2:05 PM

“Packer fans are FAR more annoying….”

And Steelers fans are even worse!
    “6 rings” Oy, I am sooooooo sick of hearing that!
    H.

63. patriotinvasion says: Feb 2, 2013 2:08 PM

Been saying this for years. In a league where teams alternate between 6-10 and 10-6 every year, the Pats’ run of success has been insane. But, it’s so bad here (spawned by 2007) that if we don’t win by 20+, the media talks about the game like it was a loss. So ridiculous.

64. harrisbarton says: Feb 2, 2013 2:10 PM

Who knows? With time the Patriots might match the 49ers sixteen consecutive years of ten wins or more. Like those Niners the Pats have been greatly aided by being in a weak division. But somehow methinks that Patriots streak is in its sunset years. Once Brady’s skills go downhill, and they will, it will be like falling off a cliff.

65. jjmurphy1127d says: Feb 2, 2013 2:18 PM

I am a long time season ticket holder of the Pats and Parcells is absolutely correct. I remember how bad we were as a team playing in that glorified high school stadium.

It’s been a great ride for the past 12 years. With health and some luck, we likely have 2-4 years left with BB and Brady together. Hopefully they can win one more time. If not, they still will go down as one of the best dynasties of all time and likely the best of the salary cap era to date. Pats are one of youngest teams in league, but TB is getting up there. Only 5 players from 18-1 2007 team are still with team (Brady, Welker, Mankins, Wilfork, and Gostowski).

BTW – GL to the Tuna – hope to see him make the HOF later today. He, Kraft and Bledsoe helped save football in NE as we know it and layed the foundation for the early years of our run.

66. bullcharger says: Feb 2, 2013 2:19 PM

I have been a Partriots fan since the 70s along with my brother. It used to be so awful. We aren’t from Mass but I did live in Boston for a few years. I can say that New England sports fans are very spoiled. The fans at the stadium are so used to Brady winning games at home that they boo if they don’t have the lead. It’s crazy. I am also a long Toronto Maple Leafs (Laughs) fan and in 1967 when they won their last Stanley Cup everyone wen’t to bed early and didn’t even really watch the ceremony… ho hum… another cup, just like most other years. Then poof! 45 years went by. People should be more appreciative of what they have here because it likely won’t happen again for that team in this lifetime. With Kraft still there they will win some games, but it probably can never be like this again. Cheer hard for the next few years and watch every game.

67. pftbillsfan says: Feb 2, 2013 2:20 PM

Dude what did the Bills ever do to you Tuna. By the way what a stupid ass nickname.

68. ytownjoe says: Feb 2, 2013 2:22 PM

Just imagine what it’s like being a Browns fan. Few people today were alive when the Browns were a dynasty under Paul Brown.
    But he was fired by Art Modell.
    Today they are voting on whether Model gets in the Hall of Fame.
    My message to Pats fans – enjoy winning while it lasts.

69. bullcharger says: Feb 2, 2013 2:26 PM

harrisbarton says:Feb 2, 2013 2:10 PM

————————

The divison might be weak (Patriots are.797 against the division since 2001), but the Patriots have an very good winning record against teams outside of their division in the AFC in that same stretch (.686) and an even better winning record against teams in the NFC in that stretch (.813). It’s not just inflated records from their own division.

70. flash1283 says: Feb 2, 2013 2:26 PM

thebigtebowski says:
    Feb 2, 2013 1:40 PM

—-
    Get over it!! I’m so sick of you Jobbers trying to criticize an entire region based based on the interaction you have with a handful of people on the Internet

71. lflib69 says: Feb 2, 2013 2:28 PM

tombradyishotgarbage says:Feb 2, 2013 1:45 PM

Spoiled AND Racist!! Thumbs down if the truth hurts.

Please explain…Racist? Jealous much?

72. deadeye says: Feb 2, 2013 2:29 PM

New England sucks. Ten division championships, five conference championships, and three Super Bowl titles, they really need to go back to the drawing board and figure out what’s wrong.

73. lflib69 says: Feb 2, 2013 2:32 PM

All these people out there hate on (because they are envious) the Patriots yet they put the mouse on the article and click on the left button….just can’t stay away from the Patriots articles….it’s like they have nothing but the Patriots on their minds when hovering the sporting sites…SMH

74. normaneinstein7 says: Feb 2, 2013 2:34 PM

He’s right. Patriot fans have had it good. Maybe the Patriots will still be good after Brady and Belichick are gone, but maybe not. As a Redskins fan, I remember having it great during the 80’s and very early 90’s. I was spoiled. I never thought my team would hit the lows it did after Gibbs first retirement. I just hope that my team is finally hitting a new era to where they are consistently competitive again like they were in the past.

During the 90’s, I’m sure Cowboy fans didn’t think they would ever go through long droughts of postseason football.

I’m not saying the Patriots will ever hit the skid that the Redskins and Cowboys did after their dynasties, but it wouldn’t surprise me. That said, there is hope that the Pats can avoid it. The Packers avoided QB hell after Favre was gone and have Aaron Rodgers. The Colts seem to have avoided QB hell also by landing Luck after Peyton. Pat fans can hope that their situation pans out like the Packers and Colts, because franchise QBs don’t grow on trees. It can take a team a decade or two before they find an elite QB again.

75. skipvanmeter says: Feb 2, 2013 2:37 PM

Sure they are a finesse team. Smurf wide receivers. RB’s rely on misdirection and a hurried up offense to get anywhere. Got some tough linebackers but they can’t cover any decent tight end.

76. themagicfanguy says: Feb 2, 2013 2:45 PM

What a coincidence I never see this many jealous haters unless its an article about NE, GB, NYG, or PIT… You can tell most of these trolls are fans of crappy teams who can’t compare to the bread winner franchises of the NFL. Get over it losers, you’re just not relevant.

77. tothefellowshipofthemiserable says: Feb 2, 2013 2:46 PM

At Gillette stadium, look at those empty red seats (indoor luxury box suites) No wonder it’s the most quite place in the NFL. Very spoiled!

78. dolphins512 says: Feb 2, 2013 2:49 PM

I would have to agree with Parcell’s…..that some Pats fans have grown spoiled by the performance of this team the last 12 years or so…….but I hope they have enjoyed every minute of it.

I’m old enough to remember my Phins in the 70’s, some really good team (including a Superbowl loss) in the 80’s and some epic battles between Jim Kelly and Dan Marino into the 90’s. The Pats has a couple of good teams through those years, but not many. People also forget that the Colts were in the AFC East back then.

I think the problem today, is that so many young fans don’t remember the lean years since the Pats have been so good for such a long stretch of time. This will one day come to an end, but for now….enjoy it while it lasts.

Also, as far as arrogant and rude fans…..there are a lot out there for all teams. Social media and websites like this one make that possible. You can say anything you want with not reprecussions for your comments. I don’t think that is going to change anytime soon.

79. patssteelersorgiants says: Feb 2, 2013 2:56 PM

Tuna is right but most of those fans are corporate suits who don’t know football. They get the same way over all the Boston teams. They’ll go back to tennis after a losing season.

80. ravensdominate says: Feb 2, 2013 3:02 PM

Not so spoiled this season :)

81. rajbais says: Feb 2, 2013 3:33 PM

And money spoiled you when you left New England and Miami!!!

82. worldwidebleater says: Feb 2, 2013 3:39 PM

I’m not a fan of the Patriots, and I care even less for their fans. But, I have never read such a string of comments before. What a bunch of mouth-breathing dopes.
    I’m not sure if it’s Pats haters or Ravens fans, but what they lack in intelligence, they make up for with an 8th grade education. Half of the commenters are blind to the Patriots success, and the other half can’t compose a sentence.
    “It is better to be silent and thought a fool, than to open one’s mouth (or keyboard) and remove all doubt.” – Mark Twain

…and Boom goes the dynamite.

83. matiberio says: Feb 2, 2013 3:45 PM

Spoiled? Fair weather fan? Hell, I remember when they didn’t even have a stadium. Played in Boston Universities stadium. Lean times…

84. raiders757 says: Feb 2, 2013 4:04 PM

kattykathy says: Feb 2, 2013 12:12 PM

Not to forget to add that the “fans” only became “fans” about a decade ago.
    ———————————————————–

Well said. Well said indeed.

That said, there are some great REAL Patriot fans that I know, who represent their fan base so much better than the young bandwagon punks they’ve gained over the past decade. REAL Patriot fans are a classy bunch who you would love to hang out with and buy a beer. The obnoxious bunch we have representing them today are spoiled and pathetic at best.

85. patriotinvasion says: Feb 2, 2013 4:09 PM

There’s nothing wrong with the structure of Gillette Stadium. It’s quiet for one reason – the fans have seen so many wins that they just expect it to happen and don’t feel like they have to will it to happen with noise like other fan bases do.

Plus, after seeing so much success, there are diminishing returns. The more and more you see success, the less and less exciting (and noise inducing) is becomes.

It’s Super Bowl or bust every year, and I wouldn’t want it any other way.

86. raiders757 says: Feb 2, 2013 4:17 PM

themagicfanguy says: Feb 2, 2013 2:45 PM

————————————————————–

This post is exactly the kind of arrogant garbage bandwagon fan I’ talking about. Want to know why the Patriots are so hated, just read the quote above. People aren’t jealous at all. It’s not hard to hate a team when their fan base fills up with a bunch buttholes like this guy.

87. portnoychunk says: Feb 2, 2013 4:25 PM

Fans of other teams are pretty funny. They ruthlessly antagonize Patriots fans over Spygate, the Tuck Rule, Brady being a “prima-Donna”, belittle and minimize the teams accomplishments and criticize Pats fans for being bandwagon fans and enjoying the Patriots success. They then turn around in the next breath and call Patriot fans spoiled for not appreciating the Patriots accomplishments. LOL – which one is it?

Also – ANY team that has an extended run of success is going to have “bandwagon” fans. I loved the Patriots growing up – even when they were 2-14 and 1-15….but I was also a fan of Joe Montana…because he won. People like winners, in case fans hadn’t noticed. Why shell out hundreds of dollars to go see what you know is going to be an inferior product? That doesn’t mean you’re a great fan if you go watch a terrible team which is just going to make you miserable – it means you’re foolish.

88. raiders757 says: Feb 2, 2013 4:31 PM

whatjusthapped says: Feb 2, 2013 2:00 PM

—————————————————-

The Denver Broncos.

89. darkneptune73 says: Feb 2, 2013 4:37 PM

For a long time, the Patriots have held down the Jets, Dolphins, and Bills. Once Bellihick and Brady retires, all three teams will breathe a collective sigh of relief.

90. denverwally says: Feb 2, 2013 5:14 PM

Worst fans in the league? Thats an easy one, its the Steelers… followed closely by Packers fans. They act like their teams are the only ones who never filmed another teams signals – not true, they all have. Act like the only reason they don’t win it every year is injuries, as if no other team deals with injuries. Act like their players are squeeky clean while every other team harbors murders and rapists (Ben the rapist sound familiar?).
    Yep, Steeler fans – self deluded idiots.

91. Organic-boy says: Feb 2, 2013 5:24 PM

The New England Patriots:

The Official Bitch of the NY Giants..

92. ponder7vikings says: Feb 2, 2013 5:47 PM

Thank you..

when Brady is gone get ready to suck.

93. gimmeabruschi says: Feb 2, 2013 6:03 PM

The NY Giants:

But for a fluke catch, Asante Samuel’s dropped interception and Wes Welkers Butterfingers, would be an embarrassing joke with Eli and Coughlin run out of town.

Truth is such a cleansing thing.

94. xcerebus1 says: Feb 2, 2013 6:06 PM

Dan Shaughnessy is still alive?

95. noring4youstill says: Feb 2, 2013 6:11 PM

They’re like LSU fans down here. Every game they want to fire Les Miles.

96. cmgww says: Feb 2, 2013 6:41 PM

We are NOT spoiled at all!!!

Regards,

Colts fans that bailed when Manning was released.

Yes a lot of Pats fans are spoiled.
    It’s the same here in Indy…to a lesser degree. Few remember the pre-Manning era, when the Dome was half full and tickets were $10. The 1-15 years, Jeff George, finally some decency with Jim Harbaugh.

But a majority of fans think the Colts started with Manning. I can tell you how sick I felt going to games and seeing people wearing Manning BRONCOS jerseys. Thankfully, Luck and company got us right back on track, and the future looks bright. But there are still some bitter Manning fans here, but I am fine with them jumping ship.

97. guinsrule says: Feb 2, 2013 6:43 PM

It helps that the Patriots are in a division with the Jets, Bills and Dolphins.

98. jr4real says: Feb 2, 2013 6:50 PM

Pats wouldnt win 3rd place in AFC North

99. MichaelEdits says: Feb 2, 2013 7:14 PM

Mark this historic date on your calendar. It’s the only time I’ve ever agreed with Bill Parcells.

Now that he’s in the Hall of Fame, isn’t it time for him to come out of retirement and wreck yet another franchise? Just like that groundhog seeing his shadow or whatever it is.

100. TheWizard says: Feb 2, 2013 7:18 PM

The New England Patriots:
    The Official Bitch of the NY Giants.

….when they make the playoffs.

Ravens own the Pats right now, that’s a fact.

The good news – as long as Bill is around, the Pats will be in the hunt. Great to watch.

You people that think it’s a Brady thing must have missed the Matt Cassel year.

101. hushbrother says: Feb 2, 2013 7:31 PM

There’s not a Pats fan on earth who isn’t appreciative of what the team has accomplished since 2001. Most of us are old enough to remember what a truly sad sack team they were back in the day, when the thought that they could ever win a Super Bowl was outlandish. Their current run is every NFL fan’s wet dream and we know it. And we’re grateful! Honest! And of course we all know it will eventually end, when Brady is no longer Brady and Belichick steps down. How fans react after that – whether they support the team as rabidly as they do now – will be a better gauge of how spoiled Patriots fans really are.

So in regards to Parcells’ comments, to quote the Tuna, this conversation is going nowhere, okay?

102. cmdrsmooth says: Feb 2, 2013 8:16 PM

Exactly Bill. Spoiled team, surprised Belichick hasn’t walked out on those unappreciative fans. Oh wait, he can’t, he can’t win without Brady.

103. Deb says: Feb 2, 2013 9:58 PM

Preach it, Brother!! Some fans in Pittsburgh could stand to hear the same sermon.

104. db105 says: Feb 3, 2013 6:56 AM

truthfactory says:
    Feb 2, 2013 1:07 PM
    ———————————————————————————–
    Let’s put things in proper perspective. There’s 32 teams in a league with a salary cap and there’s only one champion per year. That means a team is only suppose to win a Super Bowl only once every 32 years and make an appearance in a Super Bowl once every 16 years. Not hard to figure out.

105. patsfan13 says: Feb 3, 2013 7:36 AM

I find it very tiring about all the comments about the division that the Patriots play in. Is it the Patriots fault that the other teams in the AFC East aren’t run as well as the Patriots? Are the haters saying that the Patriots have managed to infiltrate the front offices of the other three teams, and caused them to make bad personnel moves etc. I’ve been a fan since the AFL began, and the Patriots didn’t really have a home field until that ugly Shaeffer stadium, and realize that all goes in cycles. They were horrible for decades, and people laughed at them. Now that they are successful, people are jealous.

106. dirtybird28 says: Feb 3, 2013 11:18 AM

As a lifelong NH resident and Cowboys fan, yes, they are.

107. lombardisshineinfoxborough says: Feb 4, 2013 10:42 AM

The whole premise of this article is just ridiculous. Anybody who thinks that the fan base of a team that has had the run the Pats have been on wouldn’t be somewhat spoiled is delusional. Any team’s fans would be! That said, as a Pats fan I appreciate all of it. Every win, every playoff game, etc.

108. hamiltos777 says: Feb 4, 2013 10:58 AM

39-Year-old lifelong Patriots fan…and Parcells is 100% correct. Most of us up here know it, too. Don’t listen to the yahoos.

109. brazzz01 says: Feb 4, 2013 1:04 PM

Parcells is telling the truth.

Although you could say this about every team and every fanbase that has enjoyed a long run of success .

110. bikelikemike says: Feb 6, 2013 5:53 AM

jamaltimore says: Feb 2, 2013 12:18 PM
    ——————————————————–
    Wow. Revisionist history much? You jerks who say; “IF this” and “IF that” are excuse-laden losers. It’s MUCH more accurate to say that Sterling Moore owned the Ravens last year. He played for the Patriots. So the Pats OWNED the Ravens last year. No IFS!! But according to your ‘logic’ (not that you have an ounce of it), IF the refs hadn’t made a few horrid calls (or non-calls), and IF the game weren’t in Baltimore early in the season- which was like YOUR Super Bowl after losing in such a way last year that your candy-as$ players were even CRYING… and your home-field fans were driving you like crazy.. and given these and other undeniable MAJOR disadvantages the Pats STILL only lost by a friggin point!! At your place!! And at the last second!! So if that’s being “owned” you’re obviously a dishonest clown-boy.
    And in the AFCCG, without our best weapon, Gronk, and Chandler Jones (our only real pass rusher in the scheme needed to play a Ravens type team) being seriously hobbled with a bad ankle.. we were in control until Aqib Talib was hurt. He had turned our secondary around completely when we’d acquired him; going from a pile of crap to being damned good. The whole team knew instantly that when he went down it was likely over. We have NO great safeties OR cornerbacks, only a couple okay ones. But anyway.. having Gronk, Edelman, Talib and Ridley OUT of the game, and Jones unable to perform, and all this obviously causing the Pats to fold up in the 2nd half.. if you call that situation being “owned”… there’s something wrong up inside your head. That is the FACT. If you had an ounce of honesty you’d admit that next time the Pats and Ravens meet the Ravens will be VERY concerned that they will have as tough a game as they’ll ever have again. There is no “owning” going on here. That is as$hole talk. That is taunting by a juvenile punk talk. Championships are 9 times out of 10- won by the team that is healthier at the end of the season. I’d bet you a grand IF the Pats are just as healthy as the Ravens- when they meet next, the Pats will absolutely CRUSH them.
    BTW, every sports show has been analyzing Flacco; where he ranks, this week. And EVERYONE has him about 12th. He’s still a joke. EVERYONE… STILL has Brady, Rodgers, Peyton, Brees, Ben, Eli, Luck, Kaepernick, RG3 and Wilson all ahead of him, and about five others even with him. Sorry, but that’s the truth.