London Fletcher wants NFLPA to “stop the madness” and OK HGH testing

Wild Card Playoffs - Seattle Seahawks v Washington Redskins Getty Images

During Super Bowl week, there was a report from Albert Breer of NFL.com that the NFLPA was hoping to use negotiations over testing for human growth hormone as a way to address the union’s dissatisfaction with NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell’s power to discipline players.

It’s the latest in a series of feints and maneuvers that have kept the league free of a test for some banned substances. One member of the union wants the leadership to start moving more quickly toward HGH testing. Redskins linebacker London Fletcher didn’t hold much back when it came to his feeling that the NFLPA needs to get serious about an agreement regarding testing sooner rather than later.

“I’ve got a message for my union: Stop the posturing and get the HGH testing done. It’s time to get it done. You know, I think it’s more prevalent in our league than you would think. There’s probably more than 10 percent of guys taking HGH. And we have to get it out,” Fletcher said, via Dan Steinberg of the Washington Post. “As a player who’s [been in the league] for 15 years and has done it the right way, I want a good, clean game. I want a level playing surface. I don’t want to have all this posturing and ‘Oh, well, can we trust the credibility of this guy, this test?’ and all that. Stop the madness and let’s get the test done.’

Congress told the NFLPA that they could call players to testify if the league and union are unable to come to an agreement on testing. Major League Baseball has implemented HGH tests for the first time as part of their drug policy this season, something that would seem to present at least a framework for how the sides can move forward on a deal of their own.

Permalink 26 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Rumor Mill, Top Stories, Washington Redskins
26 Responses to “London Fletcher wants NFLPA to “stop the madness” and OK HGH testing”
  1. sbmcintosh36 says: Feb 3, 2013 3:33 PM

London I’d admire your tenacity to right the wrongs unfortunately this stuff will be easily masked just like any other drug and only the dumb ones will be caught…

2. rg3andthensome says: Feb 3, 2013 3:35 PM

Whatever he says about football is right…I always have to agree and give a THUMBS UP. IRON MAN…

3. finsrule2222 says: Feb 3, 2013 3:36 PM

“more than 10 percent” try more like 40-50 percent

4. jakec4 says: Feb 3, 2013 3:37 PM

So he’s saying 10% of the Redskins are taking HGH?

5. greghandle says: Feb 3, 2013 4:00 PM

It is feint, not faint. Unless you believe their method of negotiation is to pass out.

6. kingpel says: Feb 3, 2013 4:06 PM

Coming from a man who has never received the recognition he truly deserves because of all the “elite” athletes of the NFL using HGH. It is about time that someone speaks out.

Class act.

7. rickc402 says: Feb 3, 2013 4:13 PM

Please excuse Jackc4, reading comprehension was not taught at his school.

8. themackstrong says: Feb 3, 2013 4:20 PM

London Fletcher blowing the whistle on his teammates. Ouch!

9. karlpilkington says: Feb 3, 2013 4:22 PM

Jakec4. I guess you didnt do very good in reading comprehension in grade school. Did you?

10. tannethrill says: Feb 3, 2013 4:24 PM

A union only works when everyone is on the same page. Reporters from each city should get every player on record that they want full testing and while we’re at it they should take steps to be ahead of the process as well. Figure out how to guard against the next wave.

11. gonavybeatarmy says: Feb 3, 2013 4:25 PM

London Fletcher is an exceptional player and good man.

12. randy001 says: Feb 3, 2013 4:31 PM

HGH isn’t good for anybody and it does tilt the game. Just set up tests and parameters and get testing in…oh wait, you say there’s a union involved?

Forget it then.

13. spearsnva says: Feb 3, 2013 4:34 PM

The bad news is that NFLPA does ntohing but posture and BS. Nothing for their players.

But Mr. Fletcher you sir are spot on. To bad your union sucks!

14. jakec4 says: Feb 3, 2013 4:38 PM

I can read just fine. How does Fletcher know what is going on outside of his own locker room? If he’s going to say something like more than %10 of guys are taking HGH then some of them must be Redskins. Where else would he get this number from? Are his buddies from other teams calling him and telling him about how they are taking HGH? I doubt it. He sees it going on right in front of him, hence Redskins players.

15. httr73 says: Feb 3, 2013 4:38 PM

Would love to see a London Fletcher or Jeff Saturday running the NFLPA. Would be a much better advocate for the players.

16. daknight93 says: Feb 3, 2013 4:41 PM

He is 100% right…I’m tired of the fighting between the NFL and the Union..get it done so we can move forward.

17. thereisalwaysnextyear says: Feb 3, 2013 4:44 PM

I’m a huge London Fletcher fan, but DUH! It’s a shame it takes someone like Fletcher speaking out to maybe just maybe get the NFLPA going. It’s like the rookie salary cap situation. It’s actually beneficial to their current membership. NFLPA was against rookie cap until they realized college kids didn’t belong to the NFLPA and current players do. The best thing the NFLPA can do for their average member is to unsure they aren’t getting beaten out or hurt by the 10% using HGH. No brainer. Not even close.

18. thejuddstir says: Feb 3, 2013 4:49 PM

Sounds like London was taking a shot at Seahawks and in particular Richard Sherman. It’s a shame that any player thinks it’s ok to cheat in order to win.

19. jcrileyesq says: Feb 3, 2013 5:02 PM

London -the nflpa is b.s. on hgh testing because they are hoping they can get some power back regarding fines the nfl is handing out to your fellow union members

20. rickc402 says: Feb 3, 2013 5:20 PM

Seeing how Flecter has played 14 years and on three other teams, not to meantion he is part of the “brotherhood of NFL players” stop trying to make something out of nothing your logic is that of a poor mans lawyer.

21. icewalker946 says: Feb 3, 2013 5:30 PM

It’s math not reading.

If I remember, if the NFL is being cited for 10% and the Redskins are part of the NFL then the Redskins are also cited at 10%.

I don’t know what it’s called. I’ve been out of school for over half my life (I’m 40 now).

Someone help me!

22. azjohnny says: Feb 3, 2013 5:57 PM

It’s time to drug test Fletcher!

23. orivar says: Feb 3, 2013 6:11 PM

Am I the only one that is annoyed everytime I see Congress doing what they shouldn’t be?

Forget the HGH, where’s the outrage on them trying to get involved in this and not priorities on you know..important things.

24. rickc402 says: Feb 3, 2013 9:32 PM

So ice walker some teams would not have more violators than others, ie Seahawks vs. the 49ers. You have been out of school for awhile and it shows, without the test it’s only a guess on Flectchers part. Inferring that 10% of the Redskins are using HGH is a stretch at best.

25. jwreck says: Feb 5, 2013 2:49 PM

icewalker946 says:
    Feb 3, 2013 5:30 PM
    It’s math not reading.

Someone help me!
    ________
    It’s not a bad point, but you assume even distribution.

Let’s say .5% of all NCAA athletes attend Ohio State. How many NCAA athletes attending Purdue attend Ohio State, .5%? No, 0%.

I’m not saying the Redskins are any less suspect than any other team (though their defensive backfield might suggest otherwise) but to say that 10 percent of NFL players use HGH is not necessarily the same as saying 10% of Redskins players use HGH.

26. jwreck says: Feb 5, 2013 3:41 PM

jakec4 says: Feb 3, 2013 4:38 PM

______________
    I believe that you read just fine. It’s the thinking I’m worried about. I’ve never set foot in an NFL locker room, but I would also guesstimate the number of NFL players using HGH at around 10%. By your logic, that means 10% of all the people in the world who don’t play professional football are using HGH. Dubious at best.