Lions waste no time in parting ways with Titus Young

Titus Young Pic Getty Images

Citing a team source, Tim Twentyman of DetroitLions.com reports that the Lions have waived wide receiver Titus Young.

The move is not the least bit surprising.

After falling out of favor due to “behavior and attitude” issues during the season — the final straw being Young’s intentional refusal to line up in the correct spot on Thanksgiving against the Packers — the 23-year-old wide receiver practically begged out of Detroit. In late January, Young took to Twitter to blast the Lions’ organization, essentially declare himself a future Hall of Famer, and threaten retirement if the offense didn’t get him the football more often.

Young is young and brimming with talent, and he’ll now be subject to the NFL’s waivers process. It will be interesting to see if a team claims him. Young’s 2013 base salary is scheduled to be $555,000.

His contract, which lasts through 2014, also includes an offseason workout bonus of $50,000 and a training-camp reporting bonus of $184,666.

So to take a flier on Young, the “risk” would be minimal.

Permalink 109 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Detroit Lions, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
109 Responses to “Lions waste no time in parting ways with Titus Young”
  1. goldrush36 says: Feb 4, 2013 3:54 PM

Pick him up Harbaugh… maybe you can get him to be a team player.. we need a tall speed guy and Moss needs to go

2. WatchThis says: Feb 4, 2013 3:54 PM

Well, except all the time they wasted the past couple months, but…

3. bigshirk says: Feb 4, 2013 3:55 PM

Good I hope no team signs this scrub. Another wasted talent.

4. hurrayforyogapants says: Feb 4, 2013 3:55 PM

Welcome to Minnesota, Titus. We did it with Randy Moss, we can do it with you, too!

5. smartanis says: Feb 4, 2013 3:56 PM

Meanwhile in Cincinnati…

6. buddysguys says: Feb 4, 2013 3:58 PM

#HOF

Hall of Failure

7. keiteay says: Feb 4, 2013 3:58 PM

You reap what you sow.

8. vikesfansteve says: Feb 4, 2013 3:59 PM

I wonder if the Vikings will take a look?

9. bahoto34 says: Feb 4, 2013 4:01 PM

What took them so long?

10. beedubyatoo says: Feb 4, 2013 4:03 PM

vikesfansteve says:Feb 4, 2013 3:59 PM

I wonder if the Vikings will take a look?
    ———————–
    Packer fan here.

I hope so.

11. hrmlss says: Feb 4, 2013 4:03 PM

I am shocked, shocked, I tell you.

12. Ponder This says: Feb 4, 2013 4:04 PM

Young is young and brimming with talent
    _____

That’s redundant.

13. raiderbeliever says: Feb 4, 2013 4:04 PM

Yes. Megatron should’ve humbled himself and moved over to #2 WR for Titus Young.

14. 2jaylee says: Feb 4, 2013 4:04 PM

No surprise, if you dare them to cut you then they probably will.

15. jwcarlson says: Feb 4, 2013 4:04 PM

The Jets have their “stuff” together, this guy would thrive in a strong locker room like the Jets’ locker room.

J-E-T-S JETS JETS JETS!

16. Ponder This says: Feb 4, 2013 4:05 PM

@vikesfansteve -

I’d like to slap your face.

17. notor23 says: Feb 4, 2013 4:06 PM

The Bears could use him..

18. tinbender2000 says: Feb 4, 2013 4:06 PM

What took so long, the Superbowl ended last night.

19. wrenches2pipes says: Feb 4, 2013 4:08 PM

Pat’s can use him.

20. charger88 says: Feb 4, 2013 4:09 PM

This guy is a CANCER. 90:10 over/under that no team touches him.

21. thegreatgabbert says: Feb 4, 2013 4:09 PM

Titus Nolongerwithus.

22. kpow55 says: Feb 4, 2013 4:09 PM

sign him to a practice squad…. force him to have a little humility.

23. hyzers says: Feb 4, 2013 4:11 PM

He looked pretty good against Richard Sherman. Just sayin’.

24. dbones750 says: Feb 4, 2013 4:11 PM

“I ain’t selfish, but if I don’t get the ball, I quit.”

Bye Titus. I hope no one signs you ever again. You won’t be missed and I’m not even a Lions fan.

25. noeffinway says: Feb 4, 2013 4:11 PM

Somebody will claim him…..and I hope it’s a team he does not want to play for! This guy is a mess.

26. canadianvikingfaniii says: Feb 4, 2013 4:11 PM

The Vikinga won’t even sniff him. With the Percy Harvin issues do you really think they want a kid even worse? Viking fan Steve, I notice a reoccurring theme with your posts.

27. jmacphee9 says: Feb 4, 2013 4:12 PM

goldrush36 says:
    Feb 4, 2013 3:54 PM

its not worth it, no one should ever want a player that purposely lines up in the wrong spot to get himself the ball more. its not needed in the nfl or any level of football.

28. Max says: Feb 4, 2013 4:12 PM

Man I hope no teams signs him.

29. winninitall says: Feb 4, 2013 4:13 PM

Very hard decision for any team in adding this character. Kid has a ton of talent that comes at an affordable rate. I would love to see him as a Jet since the Jets need all the talent they can get at an affordable rate, but will signing this guy just continue the Circus tour into next season?

30. justintuckrule says: Feb 4, 2013 4:13 PM

If he has a pulse, the Jets should be calling him any minute.

31. bartlettruss says: Feb 4, 2013 4:14 PM

The financial risks may be low, but all the other risks are through the roof. Lines up at the wrong position intentionally then flames the team on the internet??? What team needs this?

32. jetstizzi85 says: Feb 4, 2013 4:15 PM

As much as the Jets need WR’s, I hope they stay away.

33. lionfan419 says: Feb 4, 2013 4:15 PM

As a Lions fan i wish we could ofjust traded the Raiders for Rolando Mclain when they suspensed him. both teams get a need and hopefully revamp the careers

34. purpleguy says: Feb 4, 2013 4:15 PM

Wonder what Titus will tweet about this?

35. ishallcomment says: Feb 4, 2013 4:16 PM

Could have had Randall Cobb….

36. Carl Gerbschmidt says: Feb 4, 2013 4:17 PM

@ponderthis

Why so angry? Two of your vikes got Super Bowl rings yesterday.

37. briang123 says: Feb 4, 2013 4:17 PM

He needs someone that cared about his career like Singletary cared about Vernon Davis’.

38. jjb0811 says: Feb 4, 2013 4:18 PM

Another banner draft for the lions!

39. offthelows says: Feb 4, 2013 4:19 PM

This guy is the real “Team Obliterator”. He chose the Seahawks game to have the game of his life, difference between a #2 seed. smh

40. alfesdesigns says: Feb 4, 2013 4:20 PM

I am going to laugh when he becomes a #2 on the Jags or a lower end team like that and still whines and complains. Congrats Titus, you just screwed your reputation for the next few years

41. libradad53 says: Feb 4, 2013 4:20 PM

Seahawks have plenty of cap space and with Carroll’s record to kicking players to the street who don’t want to march to the Seahawk beat, well. Wilson to Young could be fun and I think he could do well in Bevel’s system, but he has got to get his head straight….

42. arrowhead816 says: Feb 4, 2013 4:20 PM

Chiefs could use another WR

43. dlions18 says: Feb 4, 2013 4:21 PM

What a Diva. I hope he enjoys retirement.

44. coltzfan166 says: Feb 4, 2013 4:21 PM

Sounds like a guy that should play for the Saints.

45. vikesfan320 says: Feb 4, 2013 4:22 PM

I hope the Vikings sign Young so Percy Harvin sees the path he’ll head down if he doesn’t shape up. If that doesn’t serve as an eye-opener for Harvin I don’t know what will.

46. saxmachine69 says: Feb 4, 2013 4:23 PM

I love it when I hear fellow Vikings fans suggest they will sign this kid because he “could be the next Cris Carter”. The kid is talented, no doubt, but if you believe anything Rick Spielman has preached the last year, it should be abundantly clear that this kid is not sniffing a contract with the Vikings. And if I were to ever put a percentage on the chance he ever gets his act together ala Carter… I’d put it close to 1%… and that’s pretty generous

47. mogogo1 says: Feb 4, 2013 4:24 PM

Teams will give second and third chances overlooking lots of problems, but failure to line up and run plays correctly isn’t tolerated by anybody. I think his next stop will be the CFL.

48. davidjcu says: Feb 4, 2013 4:26 PM

Titus Young= Freddie Mitchell 2.0

49. autumnritual says: Feb 4, 2013 4:26 PM

smartanis says: Feb 4, 2013 3:56 PM

Meanwhile in Cincinnati…

——————————————————
    The Bengals only take criminals. On the other hand, the Raiders…

50. 1oldpro says: Feb 4, 2013 4:29 PM

I thought they played the Texans on Thankgiving Day, not the Packers.

51. EJ says: Feb 4, 2013 4:29 PM

I don’t want a soap-opera locker room like the Jets have, but he might be worth the risk. Young has got to know that he’ll never be able to say or do any of the crap he pulled in Detroit again, not with a second team, It would definitely ruin his career for sure. That is why I think he would be worth the risk. Pick him up Buffalo. S.J. would gladly consider himself a #2 receiver in order to get some of the coverage off of him. Besides, I think Johnson would be the type of mentor that Young could grow with.

52. ravenator says: Feb 4, 2013 4:30 PM

And they passed on Torrey Smith for this guy. Hah, SMH.

53. ttommytom says: Feb 4, 2013 4:31 PM

New England is the place to get off the “ME” train, or so they say (you know, the infamous ‘they’).

54. funktron2x says: Feb 4, 2013 4:31 PM

Titus Young is like 5-11.

55. clarencewhorley says: Feb 4, 2013 4:32 PM

KC should claim him. Actually everyone should

56. chawk12thman says: Feb 4, 2013 4:35 PM

I hope that the Seahawks don’t try another career reclamation with him.

SF should have Vernon Davis talk with him and see if there is any hope that Titus can be turned around and become a team player. Talent is there, but to self consumed……too bad.

57. izlez says: Feb 4, 2013 4:36 PM

I’d like to know exactly what this guys has done for the consensus to be that he is “brimming with talent” but he’s a head case.

He has under 1,000 yards in his career and has 38.1 YPG in his career. He’s got a chance to not be a bust talent wise, but that doesn’t exactly scream “pro bowler”…or anything close to it at this point

58. leafeaterx says: Feb 4, 2013 4:36 PM

He’s so cheap to sign, but such a horrible teammate… I bet some team claims him, not so sure he stays there all the way to opening day though.

59. FinFan68 says: Feb 4, 2013 4:37 PM

If only there were a pill to fix stupidity and lack of commitment… The Dolphins could use some help at WR but I’m hoping they continue to pass on troublemakers

60. 4sacroc says: Feb 4, 2013 4:38 PM

This never happened.

Why?

The Lions did not host the Packers on Thanksgiving. They played Houston that day.

Giggity.

61. tyler4richardson says: Feb 4, 2013 4:41 PM

And he’s going to play for free next year right? Sounds like a steal despite the bad attitude.

62. lazzzz says: Feb 4, 2013 4:53 PM

Montreal Allouettes!!!!

63. domezo says: Feb 4, 2013 4:54 PM

i wonder how he’ll look in a purple and gold jersey? SKOL!

64. charleythedinosaur says: Feb 4, 2013 4:54 PM

How many times do you think he’ll say the word “excited” at his first press conference as a Jet?

65. duncanthecat says: Feb 4, 2013 4:56 PM

Sad to see that no one has been around to pull this guy to the side and set him straight. He might get one more strike, but I am sure it will not be on the terms he hopes for.

66. filthymcnasty1 says: Feb 4, 2013 4:57 PM

Some horribly desperate team will probably kick the tires on this turd.

67. guvsta says: Feb 4, 2013 4:57 PM

Someone will try to polish this turd.

68. deddmunnie says: Feb 4, 2013 4:59 PM

Charles Rogers is offended by this story.

69. SilentMajority says: Feb 4, 2013 5:01 PM

Stories like this always piss me off! Don’t these players understand how fortunate they are? They’re playing in the N.F.L. for crying out loud! Your never going to have any other opportunity like this ever again. Ever! Yet, they just throw it away…

70. cags777 says: Feb 4, 2013 5:06 PM

I get that people were not fond of Cris Carter due to his off field issues and attitude. But they were nowhere near as bad as Titus Young, and it’s insulting to Carter or any football fan to suggest the two receivers are a lot of like. Sadly, one team will take a risk on Young because he has the talent to make a difference. Carter changed his attitude and became a great leader in Minnesota. Unfortunately, I can’t say the same will happen to Young. But I hope I am wrong and he can prove to be a great teammate and leader in the locker room.

71. grudenfan says: Feb 4, 2013 5:07 PM

I just don’t see how an NFL team could ever sign him, knowing that he doesn’t think he was wrong (if he does, why the tweets last month?), and knowing that he has it in him to sabotage his own team’s efforts at winning time (when the Lions were 4-4 and still in contention, mind you) if things don’t go his way in a game? It’s not like you can keep the guy on the roster as the #4 or 5 WR, because you’d have to put him on special teams.

If he makes it back from this, I think we’re looking at a career rehab of at least one year outside the league (maybe the CFL?), and then he can maybe get a shot. Even if he signs with a team and goes to camp, I don’t see how he makes a team in September.

72. chipwade says: Feb 4, 2013 5:09 PM

This guy made $500,000 dollars a year! He better shape his ass up or he will be making $50,000 like the rest of us! Absolutely ridiculous. Boy this pisses me right off.

73. dowhatifeellike says: Feb 4, 2013 5:18 PM

Let him bag groceries for a year, then see if he feels like being a team player.

74. veence69 says: Feb 4, 2013 5:21 PM

On behalf of the fans of the other 31 teams, I’d like to thank the Lions for getting the ball rolling on the offseason. (Congrats, Baltimore)

75. mcrod00 says: Feb 4, 2013 5:23 PM

I was first saying the guy would mature but he has been given to many chances going all the way back to Boise. He was given 3 chances with Detroit even after sucker punching teammate L. Delmas.

The guy brought his parents with him to the lions org after being suspended for support. The team wanted to be patient but what can you do if he thinks he is bigger than the game and doesn’t show any signs of letting up from the me attitude. I like his talent but it not worth it when it affects your team and saying you need to have more catches than others or your going to disrupt the game. Kinda like if Scottie Pippen had said I deserve more shots the Michale Jordan.

76. whatjusthapped says: Feb 4, 2013 5:31 PM

He is a perfect fit for the Vikings, he thinks he is better than he really is, loves to talk and does nothing on the field to back up that talk, and he could care less if he wins, which is mandatory if you hope to play for the Vikings.

77. rickrock6661982 says: Feb 4, 2013 5:33 PM

This guy has been offered professional countless times. Not only in the NFL, but in college.

He has refused it all.

LOL @ anyone that wants to give him another chance

78. BED MAN OKC says: Feb 4, 2013 5:42 PM

Hate to see you go – bye ! As I said before, i am not sure there is a market for an underachieving, and undersized, somewhat fast Diva WR.

I am sure he will be back living “in da hood” and being mocked for taking a $5.25 job instead of a few hundred thou playing a kids game.

79. thefiesty1 says: Feb 4, 2013 5:44 PM

Can’t really blame him, he’s just trying to get out of Detroit.

80. rg3andthensome says: Feb 4, 2013 5:49 PM

He better be damn good if the SKINS are going to look at this meat head.

81. vikesfansteve says: Feb 4, 2013 5:50 PM

I notice a recurring theme with you too candian & same with Ponder this, you are both idiots.

82. ShimSham says: Feb 4, 2013 5:56 PM

It’s one thing to take a character-risk guy every now and again. The Lions seemingly go out and find every character-risk they can, thus their team has plenty of fools like Titus here. At least they did the smart thing in getting rid of him.

83. wgray981 says: Feb 4, 2013 6:02 PM

Browns should snag him. They fixed Gordon’s behavioral problems and could use another receiver instead of Massequai (idk about the spelling)

84. metrocritical says: Feb 4, 2013 6:13 PM

Brash, volatile, smug and arrogant with streaks of bizarre behavior and delusional ideations but with lots of talent, Titus Young deserves to be claimed by the worst team in the league and fester for awhile. What a pisser it would be for the Lions if he were claimed by a competent organization with strong coaching and dominant veterans that forced him to grow up and reach his potential. Though most signs suggest that his mental defects will drag him down the drain, Lion’s luck indicates that the dude will become a star elsewhere. The Lions were dumb to draft him, we’re justified in dumping him but that Lion karma…Things just never work out here.

85. paredskinwarrior1985 says: Feb 4, 2013 6:30 PM

the kid just didnt want to play for a joke of a franchise like the lions!!! i would hope some team gives him a shot!!! i wouldnt mind the redskins adding him as a cheap compliment to to garcon and robinson

86. brett76 says: Feb 4, 2013 6:38 PM

Tall speed guy? way to know your players. Young is 5’9″ & 179 pounds & not that fast & doesn’t run his routes….but if that is a guy you want on your team, feel free

87. leagueobservr says: Feb 4, 2013 6:48 PM

I can just see him 20 years from now, being asked by Junior why his career flopped.

…’cause I acted a fool, son. I acted a fool…

88. leagueobservr says: Feb 4, 2013 6:53 PM

Send him to Minnesota, they need help at WR… ;-)

89. slippery1 says: Feb 4, 2013 6:58 PM

Every time one of these slugs gets released, there are a bunch of fans lining up and saying “My team could use him”. How about NO ONE takes this idiot and start sending a message to these jugheads!

90. glastron1 says: Feb 4, 2013 7:19 PM

Greg Jennings/Donald Driver replacement? I know Ted Thompson would never do it though.

91. hehateme2 says: Feb 4, 2013 7:19 PM

jwcarlson says:Feb 4, 2013 4:04 PM

The Jets have their “stuff” together, this guy would thrive in a strong locker room like the Jets’ locker room??

I hope you’re joking. The jets are pathetic and are no where close to having their “stuff” together.

92. lushy21 says: Feb 4, 2013 7:21 PM

Being the other guy next to Calvin has to be the easiest WR gig in the world! You ever going to get doubled or have coverage rolled to you? unlikely. Titus your a idiot and Ryan Broyles says thanks bud.

93. granadafan says: Feb 4, 2013 7:31 PM

Never trust a cancer diva,

94. butkus54 says: Feb 4, 2013 7:33 PM

Not surprised to hear… I don’t see how the Lions could have brought him back.

95. rajbais says: Feb 4, 2013 7:58 PM

I do not believe that this guy will be on a roster next season. Attitude and football issues make him forgettable.

If you have to be a diva you have to at least produce.

96. fdugrad says: Feb 4, 2013 8:08 PM

I truly do not care what his future is, however I am surprised that nobody suggested a trial with The Pats. They seemingly have the kind of coach and veterans who could and would snap this turd into the right frame of mind, OR drop him like a bad habit. They also get him on the cheap. I am NOT a Pats fan, however under this tight environment, it just might work. Any thoughts on this possibility?

97. hatesycophants says: Feb 4, 2013 8:14 PM

I can’t recall hearing about a guy who intentionally lined up in the wrong spot because he wanted to get the ball ever. It even sounds stupid. “Stafford won’t notice that I’m not Calvin.” You can’t fix this brand of stupid. Those of recommending a change of scenery to repair sabotaging your team and acting like an assclown to your teammates are nearly as stupid as Young.

98. reidstinks says: Feb 4, 2013 8:34 PM

Vikings? Bears? 49ers? Isn’t the waiver process worst to first? KC, then Browns, Raiders, Eagles and so on….and any of you think he’ll make it to the a 10-6 team, a playoff team or the runner up in the SB? Give me a break….

99. sportsfan69 says: Feb 4, 2013 8:39 PM

Miami Dolphins should take a chance on him. I’m sure Tannenhil wouldn’t mind at all. The poor guy had no one throw to last year except Hartline. Hartline is more of a third wide out player.

100. hahapapa says: Feb 4, 2013 8:45 PM

mcrod00. Given too many chances at Boise ? Coach Pete sat him for a year. Forbid him to open his mouth to the media for another year. Thinking maybe that’s where Detroit needed to take him. No one is bigger than the system at Boise. Young definitely is troubled.. Schwartz should have followed Pete’s lead.

101. timmihendrix says: Feb 4, 2013 8:59 PM

If he could only muster a handful of games playing with Stafford & Calvin why would anyone else want him. Maybe a coach that wants to prove he can tame him, like Billy B? Hes quick and has good hands, but he’s not a burner, he’s way undersized and he thinks he’s a hof’er. Not worth it.

102. geshtahl says: Feb 4, 2013 9:19 PM

Let me toss off a partial list of NFL teams that may (key word: may) give him a shot:
    Rams – Jeff Fischer has no qualms about character issues.
    Pats – Darth Bill has molded many young apprentices.
    Raiders – Why not? He is fast.

103. ruthlssjag says: Feb 4, 2013 9:34 PM

This has Andy Reid written ALL over it.. take a flier on great talent, horrible attitude his moto in the NFL..
    He’ll be an Eagle in No time.. whoops
    I mean a Chief

104. mjkelly77 says: Feb 4, 2013 9:51 PM

I was hoping that they could dump him for a 7th rounder. I guess they just decided to take out the trash as soon as possible.

105. thelionsfan00 says: Feb 4, 2013 9:52 PM

Let’s be clear of a few things. Nate Burleson pulled this kid aside on multiple occasions but couldn’t get through to him most of the time. He ran the wrong routes intentionally. He didn’t play hard all the time ala Randy Moss minus the talent. He punched the starting safety in the face during practice and got sent home. I would love Minnesota to take a shot at him because it would get your coach fired and start another rebuilding campaign. Good luck with that.

106. larryboodry says: Feb 4, 2013 10:09 PM

Then again, Brandon Marshall could slap him around a little, and no one would object.

107. 11thstreetmafia says: Feb 5, 2013 4:19 AM

This guy hangs out with Maurice clarett and Lawrence Phillips.

108. chi01town says: Feb 5, 2013 9:07 AM

Who can blame Titus or anybody else for wanting to get out of Detroit
    with Suh and that coach is worse. A good season on another team and
    stay away from the media and Titus
    can fix his name

109. antalicus says: Feb 5, 2013 3:24 PM

The vikings don’t want this scrub. All he will do is screw up your team. This guy is going to be stuck with garbage contracts for the rest of his career if he still has one.