Report: Husain Abdullah to work out for Chiefs

Husain+Abdullah+Minnesota+Vikings+v+Chicago+d44aW-8mxK7l Getty Images

NFL safeties Husain and Hamza Abdullah did not play football in 2012, choosing instead to make a pilgrimage to Mecca as part of their observance of their Islamic faith.

The brothers made their choice knowing that it might impact their ability to return to the NFL, but one of them has lined up a shot at a job for the coming season. Aaron Wilson of the Baltimore Sun reports that Husain Abdullah will work out for the Chiefs later this week as the first step toward a comeback to the football field.

Husain Abdullah played 54 games for the Vikings over four years after making the team as an undrafted free agent in 2008. He started the final 24 of those games, including all nine that he played in 2011 before a concussion ended his season. The Vikings offered Abdullah a contract extension last offseason that he turned down in order to make his pilgrimage.

His brother Hamza played 16 games with the Cardinals in 2011, the seventh year of a career that has also featured stops in Denver and Cleveland after he was a seventh-round pick of the Bucs in 2005.

Permalink 23 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Kansas City Chiefs, Rumor Mill
23 Responses to “Report: Husain Abdullah to work out for Chiefs”
  1. fuglyflorio says: Feb 4, 2013 12:06 PM

This may be the craziest thing I’ve heard in quite a while.

2. footballfan77 says: Feb 4, 2013 12:17 PM

Bet you anything the bengals will give him a shot

3. theralph2012 says: Feb 4, 2013 12:18 PM

Must be nice to take a year off of your job to go on vacation with your brother and have one waiting for you when you get back…

4. romoscollarbone says: Feb 4, 2013 12:19 PM

When they did it last and now. I still don’t understand why they didn’t just wait til after their careers. You have to make it there once in your lifetime, not yearly.

They must’ve thought Dec 21st was real, and wanted the house to be in order.

5. tfrome says: Feb 4, 2013 12:20 PM

Good on them. Most people would never make an actual sacrifice for their religious beliefs. I hope they both get back in.

6. chicagobtech says: Feb 4, 2013 12:23 PM

I wish Mr. Abdullah all the luck in the world. To be willing to set aside his profession, knowing that he very well may never get to return, in order to fulfill a personal commitment speaks greatly to his morals and character.

7. sean6886 says: Feb 4, 2013 12:30 PM

I thought the Chiefs got Leon Sandcastle.

8. azarkhan says: Feb 4, 2013 12:34 PM

Too bad they didn’t stay in Mecca.

9. keevel says: Feb 4, 2013 12:47 PM

2 guys with determination to stick in the league from low roundpick/undrafted, with rested bodies and strong enough convictions to risk their careers for their faith?

Seems little a very little risk in giving these high-character guys a try-out

10. ajw21 says: Feb 4, 2013 12:51 PM

Why are people hating on these two? Its ok for Vick or Stallworth to come back after prison but not two people who left to fulfill religious beliefs? Good luck to both of them.

11. turk2875 says: Feb 4, 2013 1:06 PM

Gotta respect these two. Risking their NFL careers for their religion shows how committed they are. These two also were fasting during training camp every year, basically risking their lives. Much respect.

12. joetoronto says: Feb 4, 2013 1:15 PM

Maybe he’ll say a prayer for the lowly Chiefs.

13. purpleguy says: Feb 4, 2013 1:23 PM

Husain is a good dude, but when with the Vikes he sustained several concussions, not to mention playing safety on one of the worst secondaries/pass defenses in Viking history.

14. cray8970 says: Feb 4, 2013 1:45 PM

Hey, great comments. Why say anything negative about a high character guy trying to make a living?

15. woodson28 says: Feb 4, 2013 2:14 PM

I agree with some of the negative feedback here. I have a job where I get paid to go to work everyday. If I were to tell my employer that I had the desire to take a year off for any reason, religious based or not, my employer would replace me. To have the talent to play in the NFL and take off for a year should give any GM serious doubts as to whether either one of these guys is committed to play the game.

16. hurrayforyogapants says: Feb 4, 2013 2:57 PM

He’s taken the first step to getting a Super Bowl ring, leaving the Minnesota Vikings.

17. maximusprime107 says: Feb 4, 2013 3:15 PM

When will people stop comparing their lives to athletes and be surprised they get to do things us “normal” folk can’t?

18. steelerben says: Feb 4, 2013 3:36 PM

woodson28 says:
    Feb 4, 2013 2:14 PM

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

It isn’t like the Vikings or Cardinals held a roster spot for them. If you took a year off to fulfill what you felt to be an obligation, knowing that you would be fired for it, do you think that you should not be able to get a job when you come back? And even more so, that you shouldn’t be given an interview?

19. rubberinnertube says: Feb 4, 2013 4:59 PM

Your employer would replace you because you are easily replaceable.

A very small percentage of human beings can play professional football. They took a calculated risk.

Unless you’re Warren Buffet taking a break from making money to go troll on the Abdullah brothers, you my friend are replaceable.

20. mnelson52 says: Feb 4, 2013 5:09 PM

If you were a carpenter or any other trade, woudn’t you expect another company to hire you.

21. lionbloodwinning says: Feb 4, 2013 5:32 PM

its ok to bag on them..they aren’t gay. its fair game.

22. larryboodry says: Feb 4, 2013 9:30 PM

Good luck to both of them…And to those of you ragging on them for ‘deserting’ their jobs, both Husain and Hamza Abdullah were free agents last year, and therefore under no obligation to any team or employer.

Just sayin’.

23. 2ruefan says: Feb 5, 2013 8:03 AM

Kills me how much people these days just mold their thinking to current, popular culture.

Right now the PC thing to do is “accept diversity” and everybody on this board is “sooooo proud” of these (Muslim) guys for doing this for their “religious” beliefs.

At the same time they all absolutely HATE Tim Tebow for his, and if a Christian were to take a year off to do some ministry everyone would be posting how stupid and hypocritical they are.

Very interesting….