Aaron Rodgers thinks it’s time for Favre to re-enter Packers family

FavreRodgers AP

On Saturday night, at the NFL’s second annual postseason awards show, current Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers and former Packers quarterback Brett Favre made a joint appearance.  Rodgers said Tuesday that he hopes it’s the first step in a new era between Rodgers, Favre, and the franchise.

“As the face of the franchise now, [it's] a role that I take very seriously,” Rodgers said Tuesday on his weekly ESPN Milwaukee radio show, via ESPN.com.  “I have the responsibility and enjoy having the opportunity to represent my team.  I think it’s important to realize that it is probably time to move forward.”

Rodgers, who hadn’t spoken to Favre since he was traded to the Jets during the 2008 preseason, said it was easy to persuade the 2011 NFL MVP to agree to the joint appearance, despite the history of tension between Favre and Rodgers.

“It didn’t take a lot of coaxing for me to do it,” Rodgers said.  “I did want to sit and think about whether it was the right thing to do.  I really feel very secure in my position with the team and feel good about the things that we’ve been able to accomplish in my five years as the starter, and feel good about the direction the organization is going in.

“Brett is two years removed from the game.  He’s going to obviously be in the Packers Hall of Fame.  He’ll get his number retired, and he’ll be in the Pro Football Hall of Fame in the next few years.  It’s important, I think, to make sure that he’s recognized for all the accomplishments that he’s achieved in our organization especially.  He’s still very dear to many of our fans for the things that he’s done for the Packers on the field.  You can never take that away.”

Rodgers also realizes that he has an opportunity to play a key role in welcoming Favre back into the fold.

“You think about what you want your legacy to be and how you want to be remembered,” Rodgers said. “As I move forward . . . I think about how I want to be remembered, and this is one thing that I really want to move forward with.”

And so the hatchet between Favre and Rodgers appears to be on the way to being forever buried.  Eventually, we’ll find out if the guy who bumps Rodgers out of Lambeau is equally magnanimous.

Permalink 59 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Green Bay Packers, Home, Rumor Mill
59 Responses to “Aaron Rodgers thinks it’s time for Favre to re-enter Packers family”
  1. tonymission says: Feb 5, 2013 8:36 PM

Now we just need to see if Favre is as much of a man as Rodgers.

2. packfntk says: Feb 5, 2013 8:38 PM

Time hasn’t healed my wounds yet, but Rodgers handled this well.

3. omniscient48 says: Feb 5, 2013 8:38 PM

Aaron Rodgers = class act

4. jhein23 says: Feb 5, 2013 8:39 PM

#4 should be up there right next to Starr, Hutson, Nitschke, White. It’s great the beef might be squashed between Favre-Rodgers but I think the people Brett has always had the biggest problem with were Thompson, McCarthy and also some longtime, powerful members of the Packers board of directors. So there is still much work to be done by all of those individuls with Favre too.

5. dragonfly99 says: Feb 5, 2013 8:39 PM

It’s pretty obvious who the classier guy is.

6. yojoemama says: Feb 5, 2013 8:43 PM

Mad respect for Aaron Rodgers.

7. Deb says: Feb 5, 2013 8:43 PM

I’ve always recognized what a great player Rodgers is. But reading this article is the first time I’ve actually liked the guy.

8. leatherface2012 says: Feb 5, 2013 8:45 PM

so the awesome aaron rodger has to put his stamp of approval on it? hey erin, where are yor 500 tds and 65000 yrds passing? where is it youve been in the league 8 years

9. bartlettruss says: Feb 5, 2013 8:45 PM

If you could harness the egos of these two you could light Lambeau Field in perpetuity.

10. leatherface2012 says: Feb 5, 2013 8:46 PM

hey rodgers, your stats arent even close to favres…..go sit down or do another commercial

11. Randy Forcier says: Feb 5, 2013 8:48 PM

Brett Favre doesn’t have an ounce of the class of Aaron Rodgers.

12. bigks77 says: Feb 5, 2013 8:49 PM

As a Vikings fan, I am sick with jealousy that you have Rodgers! Class act and a great football player, what else could you ask for! With that being said, Skol!

13. packerbackernj says: Feb 5, 2013 8:52 PM

packfntk says:
    Feb 5, 2013 8:38 PM
    Time hasn’t healed my wounds yet, but Rodgers handled this well.
    ——————
    Grow up. If after winning a super bowl with Rodgers didn’t “heal your wounds” then you’re a child and don’t understand what Brett Favre did for the Green Bay Packers. Or you’re just looking for something to cry about.

14. hansenbrothers says: Feb 5, 2013 8:53 PM

Classy move by Rodgers, glad to have him as my team’s QB. I hope this does pave the way, I’d like to see Favre back in the fold.

15. gerard33 says: Feb 5, 2013 8:59 PM

Ask him if he still thinks Ryan Braun is clean! (Braun’s name was recently found listed in Biogenesis clinic records)

16. mazblast says: Feb 5, 2013 9:07 PM

jhein23 says: Feb 5, 2013 8:39 PM

———————————-
    The only problem anyone in the front office or board of the Packers had with Favre was his perennial cat-and-mouse, peek-a-boo game of “Will I retire?” They wanted him to commit, one way or the other; he wanted to play games about playing games. Eventually, they got tired of his act and found a taker.

No one disputes that Favre’s #4 belongs up there with the other all-time Packer greats, but there needed to be a decent interval after his retirement (or non-retirement, or whatever) so that everyone could get over their respective butt-hurts.

17. govtminion says: Feb 5, 2013 9:08 PM

“Well, see, I’d love to bury the hatchet, but I’m hoping to play for Jacksonville this season…”

18. jazz11001 says: Feb 5, 2013 9:11 PM

Do the right thing Brett and enter the Hall as a Viking. At least in Minnesota they respected you. This is just yet another move by a classless organization to use your contributions to pad their wallets and image. You wanted revenge now it is your chance to grab it. You said yourself that the Vikings team was the best you ever played on. Favre+Vikings+HOF= slap in the face GB. Return the favor…

19. rockashar says: Feb 5, 2013 9:21 PM

Brett Favre has never said anything about Aaron Rodgers. As a bears fan I can say Favre was the most exciting charismatic player I have ever seen not to mention the toughest. He place in NFL history is legendary and its really bewildering that some wisconsinite Packer fans still make these stupid petty arguments about not welcoming him back and honoring him.
    Kudos for Aaron Rodgers for recognizing the situation and taking an intelligent perspective unlike many infantile Packer fans.

20. crtzinc says: Feb 5, 2013 9:25 PM

Am I the only one who sees this as Rodgers way of helping his legacy ultimately? Even in his statement he states he is doing this because of how HE wants to be remembered. Personally this is a great PR move by Rodgers to make some Haters go away. He knows Favre will never truly go away and to Rodgers credit he made this move sooner rather than later. Good for him.

21. thegreatgabbert says: Feb 5, 2013 9:27 PM

They’ll fix a room up for him in the basement, and he can come and go as he pleases. He won’t be a burden on the family.

22. skittlesareyum says: Feb 5, 2013 9:30 PM

Holy smokes Favre looks old in that picture.

23. q1ller says: Feb 5, 2013 9:35 PM

As a Vikings fan I have to say it sucks having to face Rodgers twice a year, but I also think he’s a class guy in addition to an awesome QB.

24. alskdh says: Feb 5, 2013 9:37 PM

Stupid harbaughs brothers, preventing a Rodgers/GB/Favre superbowl/reunion extravaganza. Against Manning/Brady

25. thegreatgabbert says: Feb 5, 2013 9:39 PM

They can just fix a nice room for ol’ Brett in the basement. That way he can come and go, you hardly know he was there. Might be nice to have someone around the house when the rest of the family goes off on vacation.

26. wojowbk says: Feb 5, 2013 9:44 PM

Well it’s not like it takes much to be a bigger “class act” than Farve. All you have to do is not abuse your position of power to sexually harass younger coworkers through text.

27. thegreatgabbert says: Feb 5, 2013 9:53 PM

Favre deserves something for touching the Little Rodent with his bare hand.

28. tonyugoh says: Feb 5, 2013 10:08 PM

Even Kobe and Shaq burried the hatchet eventually, kudos to Rodgers and Favre for putting aside their egos.

29. kja22 says: Feb 5, 2013 10:09 PM

So great to see these two overrated QBs be friends again!

30. glastron1 says: Feb 5, 2013 10:18 PM

Alot of Packer fans seem to forget what Farve has done for Green Bay! Winning a super bowl,playing in another,numerous playoff games and no doubt having an impact of Reggie White and other free agents wanting to sign with the Packers. Before Farve Green Bay was known as the Siberia of the nfl. No one wanted to play there.

31. supermariojosh says: Feb 5, 2013 10:24 PM

I love Aaron Rodgers and the Green Bay Packers.

32. whatjusthapped says: Feb 5, 2013 10:25 PM

I think most Packer fans are maligned for not embracing Favre. Its not like they hold a grudge, they just wish he would disappear because he is such a classless clown.

They all thought Favre was crazy but after the cell phone pix, they could see his nuts.

33. pappavike says: Feb 5, 2013 10:29 PM

Say, I hate to throw cold water on this warm “N” fuzzy moment, But No one knows what was said between Rodgers & Farve. Or what the NFL said to Rodgers! to get him to do it! The one thing I have learned in my old age is people very, very rarely do things out of the kindness of thier heart? Not saying he didn’t but? I will say that, I could never under stand how the Packers could be so upset with Farve!! All he wanted to do is play! Yes preferable with a winner!! He gave the Packers the best years of his playing days! Then when the packers thought they didn’t need him any more! Cuz of Rodgers progress they cast Farve aside like an old pair of shoes!!!! And yes I know Fave was paid WELL !! Rodgers may very well be a classy guy! But the Player & the man could be a different story!!

34. bobnelsonjr says: Feb 5, 2013 10:37 PM

Brett Favre may get some polite applause from understanding people who witnessed a player with great skill at the top of the NFL be reduced to playing with one of the lowest bottom feeders of the league when his skills diminished.

It is a very tragic story how one of the all time greats chose to hang on as a loser viking rather than hang up the cleats.

Most will remember him as one whose greatness infected his ego to the point where he thought he might actually deliver a George Halas trophy to a franchise that could never earn one.

The Brett Favre story is not yet over. It would be nice if he is great enough to be the first to overcome being infected with that loser vikling mentality. A real tragedy if that loser mentality consumed him like a cancer.

Brett Favre must decide whether he can salvage a pleasant ending or be a loser.

35. Max says: Feb 5, 2013 10:46 PM

All that talk about him not being a leader etc when their season ended, kinda forcing his hand…. if things were rosy I doubt the gesture would have been made.

36. shieldsisland37 says: Feb 5, 2013 10:52 PM

Im sorry, but Rodgers can win all the rings in the world, and he will never be more loved by me than Favre. I have shook Rodgers hand, he is a nice guy and a good qb. But Favre was a once in a lifetime guy and IMO the best to ever play the game. Favre was a true NFL legend.

37. fdugrad says: Feb 5, 2013 11:11 PM

BF not eating many salads since retiring is he? I did not realize it was him in the photo at first. At any rate, Mr Rogers is still the “bigger” man.

38. bballnut50 says: Feb 5, 2013 11:16 PM

God, loved it when our man Farve gave it to the Pack.. it was solo sweet!!

39. buttfumbles says: Feb 5, 2013 11:22 PM

Packers fans are the ones with no class. Your team didn’t want him anymore, but you don’t get to dictate which team he goes to afterwards. He won you guys a Super Bowl but you hate him forever now because he wore purple for two years? So childish.

40. Canyonero says: Feb 5, 2013 11:31 PM

Favre was simply incredible in his prime.

I dig the Pack and respect what Rogers has accomplished (and put up with along the way), but Favre was a force of nature.

If anything, Packers fans ought to take a second to appreciate the joy of debating which of their Super Bowl-winning quarterbacks they prefer!

Good on y’all.

41. thejuddstir says: Feb 5, 2013 11:33 PM

Both are great QB’s but kind of odd……it’s like Steve Young asking the 49’ers and their fans to accept Joe Montana. Young still has a ways to go to match Montana’s stats, SB’s and records.

42. maverickslim says: Feb 6, 2013 12:12 AM

Actually, Favre and Rodgers spoke after both of Vikes-Packers games in 2009. Not sure about 2010, though.
    All I remember from those games (besides the blowout at the Dome) is Moss dogging it on that final throw in the back of the end zone in Lambeau. Would’ve been an epic comeback, as Chilly was this close to pulling Favre in the third quarter.
    But if you recall, Moss had a better chance at catching it than he did on the Reed INT the other night, and still, he didn’t even bother to jump. Lost a lot of respect for him after that, then the next week when he let a ball drop at his feet against New England.

43. purplehaze12 says: Feb 6, 2013 12:13 AM

I bought a little puppy and named her Aaron Rodgers, because Aaron Rodgers is a little bitch!

44. raideralex99 says: Feb 6, 2013 12:16 AM

It’s sad that a great HOF qb got kick to the curb and attacked just for loving the game … Seriously the Favre haters are getting sickening.
    The man have a great career and made the NFL very enjoyable to watch … what is your problem?
    Those of you who do have a job … I hope one day your boss comes up to you and tells you to get lost … “you are too old to do your job.”

45. contraisloosebuthole says: Feb 6, 2013 12:33 AM

jazz11001 says: Feb 5, 2013 9:11 PM

_________________
    You are an idiot. Not even Vikings players want to go into the hall as a Viking. The team and their stadium is a joke. AD carries you guys. That should be a crime to waste his talent on a team that will never amount to anything.

46. monkeyhateclean says: Feb 6, 2013 12:35 AM

I saw Aaron Rodgers in person once, he’s a lot shorter than I thought he was.

47. jdhein22 says: Feb 6, 2013 12:37 AM

Hope Packers honor Lombardi and Hornung by retiring #5 before #4.

48. imaverick05 says: Feb 6, 2013 12:39 AM

Brett is all class to allow Rodgers to be the peacekeeper

49. contraisloosebuthole says: Feb 6, 2013 12:40 AM

Green Bay fan here and while I don’t like the way Favre ended his career by playing for losers he still accomplished a lot more than Rodgers ever will. I wonder if Rodgers has lost his edge. Analysts can say what they want but Rodgers played below his past level a bit this year. The fire looks like it is gone already. If I am Thompson I am looking for a new QB right now. Rodgers better get it in gear.

50. jimbo75025 says: Feb 6, 2013 12:46 AM

I’m a Favre fan, but yet I’m not still convinced he’s done. I have to give it at least 3-4 more years before I am sure some team will not roll him out to the field when their starting QB goes down in game 7 or something.

51. crtzinc says: Feb 6, 2013 12:59 AM

I just watched the video of them at the presentation it was funny in a good way. Good for both of them. Wish them the best. Good for Packer Nation. Take back what I said about Rodgers.

52. chawk12thman says: Feb 6, 2013 1:25 AM

Don’t go crazy giving Rodgers all the “classy” acolades and Favre the brunt of unnecessarily felt hard feelings. Remember that Favre was still willing to play for GB but was not allowed too and replaced by Rodgers. Easy for Rodgers to be “classy” here……..just saying.

53. teal379 says: Feb 6, 2013 7:25 AM

Favre did a lot for this city but he didn’t do it alone.

I seem to remember a pretty dominating defense under Fritz. A defense that made Favre’s mistakes and interceptions not nearly as costly as they’d be on another team. Favre’s INTs ended up being like punts and then a 3 and out instead of points for the other team. As that defense went away – so did the Packers’ ability to survive the Favre INT.

What do you think would happen if Rodgers rolled into the SuperBowl with the #1 rated offense AND the #1 rated defense like Favre did? Guessing he wouldn’t lose it – like Favre did.

The situation that happened at the end of Favre’s career wasn’t ideal for ANYONE but Favre wasn’t an innocent actor in all of it. He was part of the pair that danced that number and he did quite a bit of the leading.

Favre also was quite famous for saying that he had nothing for Aaron once GB drafted him, it wasn’t his job to make him a QB, that was the coaches job. Favre hated GB once they drafted Aaron – simple as that and Favre was going to do what he wanted.

54. stellarperformance says: Feb 6, 2013 8:02 AM

This isn’t a simple matter of Favre wearing a Vikings uniform. Favre purposefully and selfishly orchestrated his own departure by trying to fool the Packers into an unconditional release by pretending to retire. He did it because he identified the Vikings as his best chance for a SuperBowl before retiring for good. Thanks for your faith in your teammates Brett.

Kudos to Rodgers if he wants to let bygones be bygones. I’ll follow his lead. I won’t cheer for Favre, but I won’t boo him either. It would be great if the whole stadium remained silent when he is (finally) inducted. Idiot.

55. axespray says: Feb 6, 2013 10:08 AM

It’d be a lot easier to get over the Favre wars if these dopes from minnesota would quit nosing their way into it…

seriously, guy played “a” season for you, bunch of your fairweather fans can only afford his jersey ? – how pathetic is that….you’ve got Adrian Peterson, who actually cares about your team, who is tearing his knee to carry your team, yet you wear a Favre jersey? … it’d be like if Green Bay was full of guys wearing Cedric Benson jerseys instead of Rodgers/Driver jerseys.

56. filthymcnasty1 says: Feb 6, 2013 11:23 AM

It’s sad, but I think Favre is now best known for his waffling and cell phone photography.

57. The Prophet says: Feb 6, 2013 2:05 PM

They key wording to this was when Rodgers said he was “secure with my position with the team”, because his 5 years of bitterness and “I just won the SB MVP something Favre didn’t do” antics can finally be over with. So before you all start crowning him Mr. Classy remember if he was all that classy he would’ve done this years ago.

58. The Prophet says: Feb 6, 2013 2:26 PM

You would’ve thought Aaron Rodgers’ would’ve been “secure” after winning the Super Bowl. 2 years and two embarrassing playoff losses later and now Aaron does the right thing.

59. The Prophet says: Feb 6, 2013 4:53 PM

teal379 says:Feb 6, 2013 7:25 AM

Favre did a lot for this city but he didn’t do it alone.

—————————————–
    Fritz’ dominant defenses covering up for Favre??? What years are you mixing up? When Fritz’ defense dominated with Reggie were the years that Brett Favre was voted MVP three years in a row.
    And 1997 was the year that the Packers had the #1 offense and #1 defense and they won the Super Bowl. 1998 was not the #1 defense anymore and the 1998 group was the one that let Terrell Davis run all over them.
    The fact that your information is so inaccurate and jaded is the perfect representation of today’s Packer fans blind hatred for Favre. Aaron said to stop being so angry to do as you’re told.