Jaguars unveil their new logo

jagslogo

We noted this morning that the Jaguars were preparing to unveil a new logo. Well, it didn’t take long.

At a “State of the Jaguars” press conference this afternoon, the team unveiled the new logo, which you see here.

Said Jaguars owner Shad Khan, “Nothing brings a team more to life than a team logo.”

I’d argue that winning a Super Bowl brings a team more to life than a team logo, but for a franchise that needs to make a lot of changes this offseason, the new look is a small part of what Khan hopes will be a new beginning.

Permalink 62 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Jacksonville Jaguars, Rumor Mill
62 Responses to “Jaguars unveil their new logo”
  1. MichaelEdits says: Feb 5, 2013 4:38 PM

I’d rather have a new logo than Tim Tebow.

2. jjb0811 says: Feb 5, 2013 4:38 PM

awful!

3. wwwmattcom says: Feb 5, 2013 4:38 PM

The suspense was killing me…

4. swellbuilt says: Feb 5, 2013 4:38 PM

I like!

5. suprinelolskins says: Feb 5, 2013 4:39 PM

Looks girlier than Blaine Gabbert

6. datd00d says: Feb 5, 2013 4:39 PM

Looks like the old one.

7. ppc50 says: Feb 5, 2013 4:41 PM

Meow. Here kitty, kitty, kitty. Not impressive.

8. blackandbluedivision says: Feb 5, 2013 4:41 PM

looks like something out of a Japanese Cartoon.

9. restonraven says: Feb 5, 2013 4:42 PM

It looks like it was drawn by a Hannah Barbera cartoonist.

10. skins716 says: Feb 5, 2013 4:42 PM

won’t change anything until they get a real qb. gabbert was never 1st round talent.

11. kevpft says: Feb 5, 2013 4:42 PM

I like it! I’ll like it more if they’d get away from the black-heavy uniform/helmet color scheme. Have some guts, emphasize the other colors. Overuse of black in unis is timid. It’s Florida – use some color.

12. chaseutley says: Feb 5, 2013 4:43 PM

Crickets.

13. stigman2012 says: Feb 5, 2013 4:43 PM

There you go…the problems are over in Jacksonville.

14. goraidersgospurs says: Feb 5, 2013 4:44 PM

I wonder does Geno Smith like the new logo!!!

15. tonyugoh says: Feb 5, 2013 4:44 PM

I like it, the old logo was too 90s and its not a drastic change.

16. smacklayer says: Feb 5, 2013 4:44 PM

Um, it looks like their old logo.

17. brintfatre says: Feb 5, 2013 4:45 PM

Looks just as stupid as the old one. Do Jaguars live in Los Angeles?

18. ramofsteel says: Feb 5, 2013 4:46 PM

I like the font, but the teal is ugly. Red tongue/eyes would be legit.

19. thegreatgabbert says: Feb 5, 2013 4:48 PM

Take a good look, yapping poodles, it will be the last thing you see.

20. milkmandanimal says: Feb 5, 2013 4:52 PM

“Nothing brings a team more to life than a team logo.”

Yes, yes, nothing at all. Except, maybe, a real quarterback.

21. Ponder This says: Feb 5, 2013 4:57 PM

It looks like the jaguar is facing the other direction. Other than that, I don’t see a difference. Is this really going to fire up the team?

22. ar1888 says: Feb 5, 2013 4:58 PM

Its going to look great on all of their many tarps.

23. lou2730 says: Feb 5, 2013 4:59 PM

Judging by the comments so far, they better get back to the drawing board.

24. rudy5618 says: Feb 5, 2013 5:00 PM

Yikes, It is amazing how bad you can make something with just making minor changes. It is like they asked the players to create the logo.

25. rudy5618 says: Feb 5, 2013 5:06 PM

Jags 2013: If you are going to look bad you might as well look bad!!

26. thegreatgabbert says: Feb 5, 2013 5:07 PM

The Big Blond Cat is coming for you, pampered housebound pets.

27. 52lightsxout52 says: Feb 5, 2013 5:12 PM

Are the uniforms and color scheme going to be different as well? I hope they hired whoever did the new team colors for the Seahawks, they did a nice job.

28. juliath83 says: Feb 5, 2013 5:12 PM

Uninspiring

29. scriven725 says: Feb 5, 2013 5:14 PM

Currently dying of laughter

30. bigwii says: Feb 5, 2013 5:15 PM

It’s funny you being up the Seahawks because Nike is designing these uniforms just like the Seahawks so it should be interesting to see them

31. blaineondemhoes says: Feb 5, 2013 5:16 PM

More excited for the new video boards than the logo. They’ll be the largest in the league which will also help Jax attract other events like BCS championship. Good vibes all around Duval County these days.

32. numberoneinthehoodg says: Feb 5, 2013 5:18 PM

Dear Mr. Khan,
    If you actually used something like, I don’t know, google or watched animal planet, you would know that a Jaguar does not look like that. It’s more square headed…….u know what forget it…. just add the mustache.

33. autumnwind999 says: Feb 5, 2013 5:39 PM

Looks pretty cool, though not much different. Wonder if they’ll downplay the teal next. That was one of those color choices that was trendy at that time the team was founded, but became hella dated about two years later and ever since.

34. sonyguts says: Feb 5, 2013 5:39 PM

It’s ironic because the logo was the only thing they did NOT need to change

35. dionoil says: Feb 5, 2013 5:40 PM

I like the font. There, I said something nice.

36. benroethlisberger7 says: Feb 5, 2013 5:43 PM

I see this as a downgrade.

37. noring4youstill says: Feb 5, 2013 5:55 PM

Looks worse.

38. specialagentjohnnyutah says: Feb 5, 2013 5:55 PM

As a graphic designer who does this exact thing, I gotta say this was really unnecessary. The original was actually nice…clean and sleek, this just screams Disney. New font is nice however the hard angles don’t match up at all with the cartoony and curved cat. They really should have kept the original logo and altered the color scheme and uni’s ala Seattle.

39. MyTeamsAllStink says: Feb 5, 2013 6:07 PM

Is that a female jaguar?

40. 2mannings1cup says: Feb 5, 2013 6:07 PM

Looks pretty slim…almost like a Cheetah. Also, looks far less aggressive.

41. kylexitron says: Feb 5, 2013 6:10 PM

Also, now that you’ve seen it, you’ll never unsee the fact that it looks like a cat face coming out of a chocolate chip cookie.

You’re welcome, Jacksonville.

Anything I can do to help out Florida. . .

42. ialwayswantedtobeabanker says: Feb 5, 2013 6:11 PM

I agree with the guy who stated the Jags should not overdo the black thing. It used to just be the Oakland Raiders, New Orleans Saints and Pittsburgh Steelers, but then a slew of teams began to pile on, including the Jaguars, Eagles, Ravens, Panthers, Falcons, Bengals and Cardinals piled on. Even the 49’ers worked black into their unis for a stretch in the ’90’s.

Glanville’s Falcons were the worst — virtually all black, and even Glanville himself wore black, as if he was some kind of tough guy too.

It’s nice to see some teams, like the Falcons and ‘Niners returning to their colors, likely due to the overkill on black.

As for Jacksonville, like the one guy said — the logo is the one thing J’ville did not have a problem with.

43. kliplee says: Feb 5, 2013 6:14 PM

meet the new logo, same as the old logo

44. crisper57 says: Feb 5, 2013 6:23 PM

Did the jaguar just get done eating a blue snow cone?

45. footballfan77 says: Feb 5, 2013 6:27 PM

Looks like something for a college team to me

46. jagsfan1 says: Feb 5, 2013 6:36 PM

As a Jags fan :

I DO think better days are coming…BUT

Those who CAN – DO

Those who CAN’T – Design new logos

47. aircoryell says: Feb 5, 2013 6:36 PM

Did it just finish drinking a blue raspberry slurpee or something?

48. flipola says: Feb 5, 2013 6:40 PM

Basically the same, only tweaked to look more feminine. Yet another head-scratcher from Jaguar camp.

49. raider8er says: Feb 5, 2013 6:54 PM

Less aggressive. Looks like a logo painted on the side of a suburban high school gym.

50. mnomalley says: Feb 5, 2013 6:57 PM

Looks like a female cat. Not very manly

51. 4thqtrsaint says: Feb 5, 2013 7:22 PM

I just looked at a side-by-side. Everybody should do this. It makes the old logo look stupid. My only concern is the gold has been shaded orange. Now they have near-Dolphins’ colors.
    Hope the unis rock. This is a good change.

52. bigwii says: Feb 5, 2013 7:32 PM

The city if Jacksonville is definitely on the rise as far as sports don’t let the recent struggles of this team fool you. The additions to the stadium and the hopeful rebuild if this team along with all the other stuff going bringing sporting events to Jacksonville just adds to it. It is a nice city I just moved here for school and so far I’ve learned and seen a lot if things sports wise that has a lot if potential. Not to mention sports groups and the city are doing a nice job of this and in the future it should be pretty cool to see what happens. Everbank is huge and all the additions means the Gator Bowl is just the beginning if events coming here. Gus Bradley is supposed to be a great defensive mind hence the Seahawks success when he was their DC, that along with the new GM who’s supposed to be very good can definitely turn this team into a contender. Khan is also very committed to this teams success he’s doing a lot if things to get this team where it needs to be must if it really isn’t seen by others that aren’t in JAX. They have money to spend and are picking at 2 which can do a lot in getting this team where they want to be in a couple years a lot of Jags fans are exited. I mean Khan is a good example that he’s not going to give up I mean he came to Jacksonville with pretty much nothing and is now the owner of a sports franchise and unlike most owners he actually cares about turning this team into a winner I’m not even a Jags fan but I am rooting for this team to succeed and all you people that are writing them off will all look dumb in a couple years haha

53. jprcox says: Feb 5, 2013 8:09 PM

OK, seriously. As a art professional I can tell you this logo was done by someone who doesn’t know what they are doing. This looks like some basic “clip art”, and not all that well done clip art, next to some lettered effects. Nike did the rework of the Seahawks new logo and uniforms, and that is professional.

I am sure its the owners grandson or someone close to the family that created this. I hope a professional can rework it to something better.

54. jprcox says: Feb 5, 2013 8:15 PM

To more specifically qualify my remarks. If you look at the old logo, there is a general shape that makes the logo appear moving forward. Notice the ears, eyes, nose that they have a non-organic sharp forward stroke pointed to the right – as a logo like this should.

The new logo is just a “picture” of a jaguar head that looks like clip art – rounded shapes. Nothing moving forward – no specific design typical of a football logo showing motion.

55. gpry says: Feb 5, 2013 8:25 PM

The other 31 teams just said “uh oh”

56. whythecardinals says: Feb 5, 2013 9:14 PM

This is not what I was expecting.. I was looking for something fierce and grabbing… after seeing that I had the feeling I was checking into a Howard Johnsons or Motel 6… we’ll leave the light on for you

57. WatchThis says: Feb 5, 2013 9:30 PM

As a designer, that sucks. The old one is a football logo. The new one is something you illustrate on a kid’s toy.

58. rollteal says: Feb 5, 2013 10:43 PM

As a Jaguar fan since say one I probably said the F word about 2 dozen times in the first 5 mins of that presser. I see what they were trying to do but why so cartoony …. :-/

59. frankiebooboo says: Feb 5, 2013 10:56 PM

Khan says- nothing brings a team more to life than… Yada yada yada. Lol. Well, judging by that cheetah’s tongue, he looks DOA- dead on arrival. Somebody.. quick.. Get the defibrillator.

60. Canyonero says: Feb 5, 2013 11:44 PM

Well, I remember when the New England Patriots debuted their new logo/jersey/helmet thing. Seemed ridiculous at the time.

61. footballchic777 says: Feb 5, 2013 11:49 PM

Try acquiring some amazing talent, and that might excite your fan base!

62. tigertaz27 says: Feb 6, 2013 4:24 AM