Rob Ryan on Saints’ radar

Dallas Cowboys v Philadelpia Eagles Getty Images

Rob Ryan has been out of work for closer to five weeks than five minutes, but he may be close to landing another job.

Ryan is a candidate to become the next defensive coordinator of the Saints, according to NFL Network’s Gil Brandt.

Saints coach Sean Payton has already said that his next coordinator will be someone who primarily runs a 3-4 defense. Other candidates who have been named include Romeo Crennel and Eric Mangini.

Ryan has been unemployed since the Cowboys fired him in early January. He was reportedly close to becoming the Rams’ defensive coordinator, but the Rams confirmed last week that Ryan will not be joining their coaching staff.

Permalink 44 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: New Orleans Saints, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
44 Responses to “Rob Ryan on Saints’ radar”
  1. thegreatgabbert says: Feb 5, 2013 2:47 PM

It’s either Rob on the radar or a giant UFO and we’re all in big trouble.

2. 8to80texansblog says: Feb 5, 2013 2:48 PM

Both him and his brother are so full of hot air they have to be fat just to keep from floating away…

3. Stupid Raiders Fan says: Feb 5, 2013 2:50 PM

Crennel, Mangini or Ryan.

talk about a seller’s market.

4. thingamajig says: Feb 5, 2013 2:51 PM

Crennel, Mangini and in third place, Rob Ryan.

5. scrp2 says: Feb 5, 2013 2:52 PM

The Saints aren’t willing to commit just yet but they told Rob he can crash on the couch until he finds a home.

6. cowboylover says: Feb 5, 2013 2:52 PM

Personally, I’d hire Crennel.

7. digbysellers says: Feb 5, 2013 2:53 PM

This butterball has to stop getting gigs…it’s time for the Ryan family to stop living off the past glory of their old daddy.

8. yourignorancespreads says: Feb 5, 2013 2:55 PM

Nooooooooooo

9. rajbais says: Feb 5, 2013 2:55 PM

He’s worse than Spags!!!

He had no playoff run at DC and likely never will.

10. httr73 says: Feb 5, 2013 2:56 PM

Perfect.

11. tincansailor981 says: Feb 5, 2013 3:12 PM

Romeo, oh Romeo, where for art tho, oh Romeo? Shakespeare would be proud, and so would I if the Saints manage to sign Romeo Crennel instead of the Michelin Man.

12. chief67 says: Feb 5, 2013 3:13 PM

I might hire him if he got a hair cut .

13. enrifer says: Feb 5, 2013 3:15 PM

Please hire this guy already

14. wrenches2pipes says: Feb 5, 2013 3:20 PM

Crennel, Mangini, and Ryan all ex Patriot coaches who failed without Belichick. Pats should take any one of them back to improve that defense.

15. TylerHills says: Feb 5, 2013 3:23 PM

I don’t care what anybody says or thinks. Romeo Crennel is a great DC.

From:
    A Chiefs fan who knows what Romeo is about.

16. bensstinkyfingers says: Feb 5, 2013 3:28 PM

You would think Payton would hire a coach that is not going cause any drama, and fly under the radar after coming off of a one year suspension. Ryan not exactly that type of dude. Good luck Aints.

17. flapjackdaddy says: Feb 5, 2013 3:41 PM

As a divisional opponent, yes please.

18. bartlettruss says: Feb 5, 2013 3:43 PM

Sure Ryan can run a 3 – 4, but it’s much harder to do that AND run a sophisticated bounty system…

19. jaltreality says: Feb 5, 2013 3:46 PM

Yikes, I hope they go with Crennel. Forget his loudmouth… his defense was subpar last year, injuries aside. Sorta overrated.

20. nomercy2012 says: Feb 5, 2013 3:51 PM

TylerHills – I keep hoping we get Romeo. But since I’m not that great on evaluating defenses, schemes, players or coaches, all I have to go on about why is how he strikes me as a person and a coach.

This is why I am not on my Saints (or any other!) football team’s payroll, btw. LOL

21. mazblast says: Feb 5, 2013 3:52 PM

chief67 says:Feb 5, 2013 3:13 PM

I might hire him if he got a hair cut .
    —————————————
    No kidding. He looks like one of those guys who’s given up, works at a local auto body shop, and lives mostly at the corner bar.

The other stipulation I’d put on hiring him is that he coaches from the press box. If he put half the energy into coaching that he’s put into sideline histrionics, he could amount to something more than a hyperactive, ranting, mediocre-at-best DC.

If the Saints want a quality guy who clearly isn’t after the HC job and who shuns the spotlight, they should hire Crennel. Terrible head coach, knows his stuff as a coordinator.

22. thejuddstir says: Feb 5, 2013 4:01 PM

Certainly not a fan of the saints* so I would hate to see them sign Crennel and hope they sign “I’ll have a job in 5 minutes”. If the Michelin tire couldn’t do anything in dallas with a defense full of stars, what the hell could he possibly do for the saints*….or any other team for that matter.

23. biggestsaintsfanever says: Feb 5, 2013 4:04 PM

bartlettruss says:Feb 5, 2013 3:43 PM

—————————————————————————–

A bounty system so sophisticated the Saints were near the bottom in penalties and opponents getting injured.

24. tduhe1 says: Feb 5, 2013 4:08 PM

I really hope they don’t do this. We don’t need any more drama, or loud mouths in this organization.

25. lennydpocketqb says: Feb 5, 2013 4:11 PM

The Saints already had a tough season. Does the ownership of the Saints want to further punish the fan base? What reason would he have to do that? This is madness.

26. hoops737 says: Feb 5, 2013 4:14 PM

yourignorancespreads says:
    Feb 5, 2013 2:55 PM
    Nooooooooooo

——

Let me elaborate…what I think he means is

NOOOOOOOOO!!

27. thegreatgabbert says: Feb 5, 2013 4:35 PM

Nothing has been finalized as yet. At this point Rob is still just a blimp on the radar screen.

28. whodatnationrida42 says: Feb 5, 2013 4:38 PM

I for one am a Saints fan and have been one for 31 years now going on 32. I see no problem in hiring either Romeo Crennel or Rob Ryan, yes Romeo knows his stuff but I honestly don’t seeing him accepting any DC jobs this year because that means he would have to give up his $6 million owed to him by KC. Rob Ryan, although he has a mouth on him, also knows his stuff as a DC. I mean he had the Cowboys defense hitting on all cylinders until the injury bug hit them. So if either is hired on I am sure they will make an impact on us defensively from what we displayed last year.

29. yousuxxors says: Feb 5, 2013 4:51 PM

rex might be a horrible head coach but he is not a bad d coordinator.

30. dws123 says: Feb 5, 2013 4:51 PM

Kind of interesting that the top prospects have each made their rounds through Cleveland. As a Browns fan, Crennel should easily be the Saints top choice. I’d also be talking to Jauron before wasting my time with Mangini and Ryan.

31. mrphelps01 says: Feb 5, 2013 5:04 PM

Payton and Belichick are friends, and we all know how Belichick feels about Mangini…

32. vtopa says: Feb 5, 2013 5:16 PM

Oh God not this fat slob. After the debacle of Gregg Williams, the Saints need an upstanding guy. CRENNEL!

33. wrenches2pipes says: Feb 5, 2013 5:20 PM

The Ryan brothers haven’t been in the league this long because they suck. I can’t believe some of these comments.

34. doclolly says: Feb 5, 2013 5:20 PM

If the saints were smart they would give the job to either Romeo Crennel and Eric Mangini.

Both of those candidates are just guys who are gonna come in and do their job.

With Rob ryan all your gonna get is another NFC coordinator reject that give you a mediocre defense that gives up a ton of yards and produces no turnovers. The only thing hes good at doing is running his mouth and taking up camera time during the games

35. BigBeachBall says: Feb 5, 2013 5:20 PM

test

36. philly4lyfe says: Feb 5, 2013 5:22 PM

spaggs > ryan

37. wrenches2pipes says: Feb 5, 2013 5:23 PM

But Belichick said everything is o.k. with Mangini?

38. winsaintswin says: Feb 5, 2013 5:25 PM

yourignorancespreads says:
    Feb 5, 2013 2:55 PM
    Nooooooooooo

——

Let me elaborate…what I think he means is

NOOOOOOOOO!!

————————————————-
    I concur……

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

39. cowboycjn says: Feb 5, 2013 5:38 PM

Not no, but HELL no – why on earth would the Saints want this chubby hippie? He can’t even get a hair cut, how is he going to instill discipline among players? That would be stooping to a new low.

40. dswan3199 says: Feb 5, 2013 6:05 PM

These are all Cleveland Brown’s retreads… if I would choose anyone from that list… It would be Romeo.. He is a good D coach… He is a good guy who deserves a job… Just hope peyton doesnt get suspended again and romeo has to take over as head coach

41. letmesetyoustraight says: Feb 5, 2013 6:25 PM

The talking heads at TMZSPN ans NFL.com are at it again. I don’t think there is any way Payton would go with another “over the top” personality such as Ryan. He just got rid of whacky Gregg Williams.

I think there is a very good reason they waited until after the SB. Payton wants to evaluate all the good candidates from the 9ers and Ravens. I think he promotes as opposed to going retread.

42. dabears2485 says: Feb 5, 2013 6:58 PM

I’d hire Crennel as DC, and Rob Ryan as an assistant.

43. ratbirdking says: Feb 5, 2013 7:30 PM

After visiting NOLA this weekend for my birds victory, I can only say I hope the Saints don’t get stuck with this slob.

A great city with an amazing fanbase doesn’t need him bringing them down.

Thanks for hosting us Baltimore fans!

44. cowboycjn says: Feb 5, 2013 7:50 PM

Baltimore fans – you were great. Good game, no fan based trouble – seems like everybody enjoyed themselves. We are pleased to have had you guys visit- come back any time.