When it comes to Chris Johnson, decision time coming for Titans

ChrisJohnson AP

If the Titans don’t cut running back Chris Johnson by February 9, $9 million of his $10 million base salary in 2013 will become fully guaranteed.

Despite multiple reports that the Titans won’t cut Johnson, it appears that Johnson has yet to receive any guarantees about whether he’ll receive his guaranteed money.

“Everyone who is worried bout if I’m gon be a Titan or not next year just understand its all in god hands whatever he won’t I’m ok with it,” Johnson said earlier tonight via Twitter.

Sure, the Titans could allow the deadline to pass and then try to trade Johnson.  But at least Johnson will know that he’s getting $10 million if he’ still a Titan on Sunday.

Either way, it sounds like Johnson won’t know the final answer much sooner than the rest of us.

Permalink 51 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Rumor Mill, Tennessee Titans, Top Stories
51 Responses to “When it comes to Chris Johnson, decision time coming for Titans”
  1. kennytarpon says: Feb 5, 2013 10:12 PM

That tweet doe.

2. skoobyfl says: Feb 5, 2013 10:13 PM

It’s in the accountants hands as well, I think he’s cut if they can’t show a commitment to him.

3. nkmho says: Feb 5, 2013 10:15 PM

Titanic…

4. warhammer420 says: Feb 5, 2013 10:15 PM

God: “Sorry starving children in Africa, I’d love to help, but I’ve more important matters… like figuring out what team I want CJ to play for next year!”

5. demolition510 says: Feb 5, 2013 10:17 PM

I expected more spelling/grammatical errors to be honest. Good job Chris.

6. transam7816 says: Feb 5, 2013 10:17 PM

I say the titans should cut him

7. jakec4 says: Feb 5, 2013 10:18 PM

For barely being a 1000 yard back while getting close to 300 carries, and having 10 touchdowns in two seasons. Players with minimal production like that don’t cost 10 million a season.

8. mcjon22 says: Feb 5, 2013 10:20 PM

Quick, someone who’s not a Titan fan, tell me the difference the past 2 years between Reggie Bush and Chris Johnson.

Mmmhhh, exactly. Cut him

9. thegreatgabbert says: Feb 5, 2013 10:22 PM

How could you not keep him? I mean, look at those eyes…

10. nyyjetsknicks says: Feb 5, 2013 10:24 PM

Give him the $9 million. He needs to hire a really good tutor.

11. necr0philia says: Feb 5, 2013 10:24 PM

Chris will be a janitor for a high school in 5 years tops. He does not seem to have the effort anymore like before the big contract. So my guess is he will end up broke like MC Hammer and lose everything. I hope not but anytime I read anything about him it seems inevitable.

12. jameswestphal says: Feb 5, 2013 10:27 PM

It must be so relaxing to be as stupid as Johnson.

13. firestarter0728 says: Feb 5, 2013 10:27 PM

“Everyone who is worried bout if I’m gon be a Titan or not next year just understand its all in god hands whatever he won’t I’m ok with it.”

Another Nobel Prize winner heard from. I love Twitter.

14. drgreenstreak says: Feb 5, 2013 10:29 PM

At least he can still play a little bit. I think.

He is totally screwed if he has no job playing football.

He can’t just go do whatever he won’ts.

15. nkybengalsfan says: Feb 5, 2013 10:31 PM

Please come to Cinci Mr. CJ!!!!

16. jakec4 says: Feb 5, 2013 10:34 PM

Since he has his four years service in and would be an unrestricted free agent if he’s let go, Pittsburgh seems like a pretty logical possible destination even though they usually don’t go after bigger name free agents. You’d still have to respect his presence in any backfield with a real QB.

17. 11gixsix says: Feb 5, 2013 10:44 PM

But he’s the best back in football….

18. howiefeltersnatch says: Feb 5, 2013 10:46 PM

The situation of a spark

19. jwhite4711 says: Feb 5, 2013 10:48 PM

The difference between him and Reggie bush? Nothing, except more 80 yard td runs in history, fastest player in the league, oh and hasn’t missed a game, but yea your right same back.

20. thefiesty1 says: Feb 5, 2013 10:52 PM

Parasite! Got his money and then fails to perform. Amazing if anybody takes a flyer. It’s all about the $$$$.

21. billsboy88 says: Feb 5, 2013 10:53 PM

His voice really comes through in his writing, doesn’t it?

22. theecowardlylion says: Feb 5, 2013 11:10 PM

upkeep can’t be cheap on that grill…. give the guy some toof money.

23. FinFan68 says: Feb 5, 2013 11:11 PM

I would cut him. His main skill is speed an that is about used up. All they will be left with is a smallish RB with slightly above average speed and incredibly below average intelligence. Even if he can have another career year, would it make that much of a difference? There are too many holes to fill for them to worry about paying a RB $10M.

24. Canyonero says: Feb 5, 2013 11:24 PM

Didn’t he win the Most Self-Absorbed Blowhard Award at this year’s AP awards?

25. nashvilletrojan says: Feb 5, 2013 11:28 PM

I’m a Titan fan, I say unless he renegotiates, cut him.

26. rukkus1 says: Feb 5, 2013 11:48 PM

The first 4-6 games he was getting hit behind the line on almost every play. You cant produce with a pop warner line in the nfl

27. flipola says: Feb 5, 2013 11:52 PM

If they’re not going to play to his strengths, cut him. No use paying 10 mil to a speedster they’re going to waste by running him up the middle until it’s time to punt again.

28. randomguy9999 says: Feb 6, 2013 12:12 AM

$10m should buy a RB who can put up top 5 numbers as long as the O line is at least middle of the pack….

after all that jawboning and a holdout… he’s not

fire him

29. ron69 says: Feb 6, 2013 12:54 AM

With that money you can sign Reggie Bush and G Andy Levitre, this is a no brainer.

30. monkeyhateclean says: Feb 6, 2013 1:02 AM

I blame the public education system.

31. madesian says: Feb 6, 2013 1:10 AM

It’s hilarious to me that just a couple years ago people were arguing that he was the best running back in the league. Don’t get me wrong, he should be very proud of that 2,000 yard season, but he should never have even been near that conversation of best ever.

32. rekingcrew says: Feb 6, 2013 1:11 AM

Me can’t beleve dat day wood even tink of cuttin him yo!

33. catch82 says: Feb 6, 2013 3:24 AM

How did this guy go to a college???

34. catch82 says: Feb 6, 2013 3:27 AM

CJs next tweet in response to a fan asking him what he does in the offseason: I luv to play da futball on the game box, because I hav a 98 speed on the madden game!

35. torontofalcon says: Feb 6, 2013 3:52 AM

When they cut you, come win a Superbowl with Atlanta.

36. nathanbetz91 says: Feb 6, 2013 4:01 AM

Wow that tweet was spoken straight from the mouth of a poet, with a tight grasp on spelling and grammar. William Shakespeare couldn’t have said it better.

37. polapea says: Feb 6, 2013 5:43 AM

He needs that 9 mil, got a new grill being made.

38. bkostela says: Feb 6, 2013 7:42 AM

he’d be a good fit for the jets…

39. irishgary says: Feb 6, 2013 7:58 AM

That college education really paid off

40. bminder1972 says: Feb 6, 2013 8:53 AM

Anyone remember the last time he was feared? I don’t. He was awesome till he got paid, then turned into the jamarcus russell of rb’s.I don’t see how they’ll keep him without a major restructurement. He’s not worth 10 mil.

41. dabceb says: Feb 6, 2013 9:09 AM

Let him go please… I want to hear from those so negative on him here.

I wanna hear how mystified they are about his cattle-line of bidders…..

Hmmm…. Rams, Steelers, Cardinals, Jets, Cowboys, etc….

42. puppybowler says: Feb 6, 2013 9:46 AM

It’s funny. As much as everyone trashes this guy he still had over 1200yds behind an average line. He’s the only playmaker on their team. And we all know that Locker’s no good. He’s not an idiot like Kenny Britt, getting in trouble off the field, so I would take him on my team.

43. phrankyc says: Feb 6, 2013 9:54 AM

Damn it! This is not fair, I didn’t know God was the GM of the Titans. Guess we know who is going to win the Super Bowl.

44. ajb3313 says: Feb 6, 2013 10:01 AM

Rule: don’t pay running backs that aren’t named Adrian Peterson.

They should cut Johnson if for no other reason than being able to better allocate funds to other positions. They can glue together similar production from a middle round pick or undrafted rookie without anywhere near the cost.

45. v2the4 says: Feb 6, 2013 10:03 AM

the titans are going to cut him…he hasnt been the same since VY left the Titans, his skills have diminished like a mofo every since he signed that big deal claiming he was the best RB in football..

look for him to be in St Louis next year with his former coach Jeff Fisher, or he could head to Indy, NE, Arizona, or Miami too

46. forreels says: Feb 6, 2013 10:42 AM

Why do I get a really sick feeling that this guy is going to be a Jet next year and I actually throw up at the thought he has a resurgence in his career and makes the Jets relevant…….

Whoa just woke up from the worst nightmare ever!

47. bri55mn says: Feb 6, 2013 11:10 AM

God done did a real goode job wit Kris’s ejumication.. He gonna do a real goode job wit his carere to.

48. azarkhan says: Feb 6, 2013 11:29 AM

So a team that went 6-10 last year is seriously considering guaranteeing a 27 year old running back $9,000,000 dollars in 2013? That makes the NY Jets look smart by comparison.

49. nemesder says: Feb 6, 2013 11:32 AM

I know this wont happen but i’d love to see him as a change of pace back in Washington running the read option with almo and rg3

50. rtant2013 says: Feb 6, 2013 11:33 AM

I’ve known CJ for along time now, I was pretty good friends with him back at ECU, and some of the crap people are saying is ridiculous. He’s one of the nicest guys you’ll ever meet, and if you didn’t know he has a learning disability, but hey say stuff when you don’t know crap about the guy except that he’s a football player. He may not deserve 10 mill, but he’s by far the best player on that team, and a great running back can’t run behind a horrible offensive line, look at McCoy in Philly, he took a major hit this year. Also a horrible qb, that can’t throw and you make a guy run 30 times a game. It’s not a lack of effort on CJs part, its a lack of a good team around him.

51. garrison1981 says: Feb 6, 2013 3:16 PM