Brett Favre: No ill feelings for Rodgers

Brett Favre, Aaron Rodgers AP

It’s February in Green Bay, but there still seems to be some thawing going on.

Current Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers and former Packers quarterback Brett Favre made a joint appearance in New Orleans at the NFL’s postseason awards show, a surprise to the audience given the history of tension and animosity that’s existed between the two of them since General Manager Ted Thompson chose to trade Favre after Favre’s late decision to play in 2008 so Rodgers could ascend to the top job. Rodgers said that he thought it was time to move forward so Favre could be recognized for his place in Packers history.

Favre seems to be feeling the same way, at least when it comes to Rodgers. He said that there’s no issue with the guy who took over the Packers offense.

“It wasn’t awkward,” Favre said, via the Green Bay Press-Gazette. “We had some laughs about it prior to going out. Aaron has up to this point an unbelievable career. That goes without saying. You know, I’m proud of what I’ve done. There is no ill feelings. There isn’t. There might be from other people.”

We’re not sure if Favre’s lack of ill feelings extend to the guys who decided on playing Rodgers over him. If they do, Favre’s return to the Packers fold for a celebration of what he achieved for the team might not be far off.

Permalink 21 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Green Bay Packers, Home, Rumor Mill
21 Responses to “Brett Favre: No ill feelings for Rodgers”
  1. kja22 says: Feb 6, 2013 8:41 AM

I still think the Packers should have welcomed Favre back when he changed his mind about retiring in 2008 and let him regain his spot. He’s a legend and he deserved to play for the Packers for as long as he wanted!

2. In the Weeds says: Feb 6, 2013 8:42 AM

It’s GREAT that BrINT does not dislike Rodgers; the qb he went out of his way to Not mentor, the fellow he ignored, and the fellow whose career he tried to quash while ingratiating himself for years.

Let’s not forget All The People who made him who he was–especially the linemen, who kept him alive for so long. But he went Far out of his way to screw them, the running backs, the receivers, his coaches, and every single fan–for Years.

HEY! I just got a text message.

I wonder if I should show it to my spouse.

3. stigman2012 says: Feb 6, 2013 8:57 AM

Mighty big of Farve to not have ill feelings towards the guy he was constantly screwing with.

4. filthymcnasty1 says: Feb 6, 2013 8:58 AM

How gracious of him. Does he have any ill feeling towards Jen Sterger?

5. fishyinalittledishy says: Feb 6, 2013 9:03 AM

Couldn’t give a monkeys about Farve or Rodgers with me being a Dolphin fan but i will say this. Green Bay has been blessed having these two playing for them. And also big kudos to the management having the guts to make the change.

6. comeonnowguys says: Feb 6, 2013 9:07 AM

Well thanks for small favors, Brett.

One of the two QB’s handled the entire situation since Rodgers’ arrival on the team through Favre’s departure with class and teamwork.

The other is named Brett Favre.

7. Canned Heat says: Feb 6, 2013 9:15 AM

There seems to be a definite thing going on with Favre and the Packers. I wouldn’t be a bit surprised if Favre is actually at Driver’s retirement throw down today in Green Bay to be honest. This may get the ball rolling and get Brett’s name and number up on the ring at Lambeau, where it should be.

To you donkeys still impervious to the Packers/TT versus Favre timeline from a handful of years back….please educate yourselves, if possible, before spouting stuff you obviously don’t know or can’t seem to remember.

8. freepretzels says: Feb 6, 2013 9:20 AM

Good to see this happen. If they can get over it, maybe Packers fans can.

9. wludford says: Feb 6, 2013 9:22 AM

I doubt the ‘no ill-will’ feelings are reciprocated by Rodgers. He seems to have an inferiority complex…

10. spellingcops says: Feb 6, 2013 9:23 AM

In the Weeds says: Feb 6, 2013 8:42 AM

HEY! I just got a text message.

I wonder if I should show it to my spouse.
    ———————————————–
    Early on in Rodgers’ success, I remember an interview in which he was asked what contributed to his quick success. He said sitting behind one of the greatest to ever lace them up for four years helped him tremendously. Get over your hate for the guy, it makes you look bad.

11. comebackid says: Feb 6, 2013 9:33 AM

It’s too bad favre went out the way he did he really is one of the top qb’s of all time.

12. chadobunga says: Feb 6, 2013 9:39 AM

Seems like there are too many people on here with short memories. I live in Wisconsin and have seen the good and bad when it comes to Favre. Given the whole debacle with Ted Thompson, the handling of his retirement, and willingness not to help Rodgers with his development, I still remember a lot of the great things he has done for the Packers and their fans. Yes he has made mistakes and could have handled things in much better ways but come on, look at the total body of work. I loved watching Brett play for the Packers, the enthusiasm he brought to the game, his competitiveness, and his ability. I for one will be happy to welcome him back for his number retirement.

13. conormacleod says: Feb 6, 2013 9:41 AM

The most shocking part is the Packers fans hatred for Favre. Classless. Apparent they forgot what the 20 years pre-Favre was like.

14. packhawk04 says: Feb 6, 2013 9:42 AM

I was bummed when favre declined an invite to holmgrens packer hof ceremony. Hopefully it all works out someday.

15. packerbackernj says: Feb 6, 2013 9:48 AM

Watching Aaron hoist the lombardi washed away all ill will. It hurt seeing Brett in purple, but i respect the man for what he did for a once dormant franchise that was a joke before him and Reggie White came along and changed everything. Thank you for the great years, thank you for the good years, and thank you for the few bad years, Brett, now welcome back to where you belong.

16. azjam says: Feb 6, 2013 10:05 AM

Farve was Mr. Packer for many years. Time to put aside some grievances and place him in the Packer Hall of Fame

17. packergalmke says: Feb 6, 2013 10:34 AM

I agree that Brett Favre deserves to have his jersey retired and his name on the Ring of Fame around Lambeau Field. But before that can happen, he needs to do a little image enhancement with the fans of Green Bay. A lot of people are still pissed with his diva on-again, off-again retirement game. And becoming a Viking was tantamount to being a traitor to the green and gold. Brett could have gone a long way in repairing his relationship with the Packers and their fans had he shown up for Holmgren’s induction into the Packer Hall of Fame. But he was a no show. Favre could help his reputation if he comes for Donald Driver’s big retirement party today. He probably won’t. I’m not a betting woman, but I would say at this time that Brett won’t be back for anything as long as Ted Thompson is still in the front office.

18. filthymcnasty1 says: Feb 6, 2013 10:43 AM

It’s going to be awkward for Favre, his family and the Packers when they Packers finally commemorate his retirement and he gets boo’d.

19. scrp2 says: Feb 6, 2013 11:01 AM

Here is the transcript from a conversation backstage:

Farve: Now that the dust has settled I think I’m ready to be accepted in the Packer Hall Of Fame.

Rodgers: Ok, let me think about it and I’ll let you know.

20. gpack22 says: Feb 6, 2013 1:43 PM

Yes, many people including myself were disgusted at Brett for how he handled his annual retirement wavering and that terrible purple uniform. What can’t be denied is his place in Packer history and what he’s done to put GB back on the NFL map. The late, great Reggie White said many times that playing against #4 the year before was one of the biggest reasons he came to GB, although I’m sure the money didnt hurt either.

We’ve been blessed to have #4 and #12 in succession, along with 2 more Lombardi trophies, so be grateful. Maybe even could’ve had a few more in early 90’s not for that inept organization to the west of GB making Dallas a dynasty by giving both arms and legs for Hershel Walker.

21. stellarperformance says: Feb 6, 2013 7:53 PM

The only reason Favre returned was because he assumed the Packers would release him unconditionally, and they didn’t! He wanted out and the Packers accommodated him. Wake up and smell the coffee for God’s sake. Until and unless Favre speaks up, shows some humility, and apologizes for his self-centered actions, I say make him wait until hell freezes over.