Delanie Walker’s aunt and uncle died in crash hours after Super Bowl

delaniewalkerauntuncle

The aunt and uncle of 49ers tight end Delanie Walker were killed by a suspected drunk driver just hours after watching their nephew play in the Super Bowl.

Walker wrote about the deaths of his aunt and uncle on Twitter on Wednesday.

“Alice and Bryan Young my aunt and uncle was killed on Monday at 5 am after the super bowl by a drunk,” Walker wrote. “Im going to miss y’all but i know they are in a better place.”

WWL-TV reports that a two-vehicle accident happened around 5:30 a.m. on I-10 near mile marker 214, just outside New Orleans. Nechole Thomas, a 26-year-old Houston resident, was driving “at a high rate of speed” on I-10 westbound when she hit another car that had stopped on the shoulder, according to state police. Both vehicles caught on fire.

Thomas escaped with minor injuries. She faces two counts of vehicular homicide, DWI and reckless operation.

Permalink 82 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Rumor Mill, San Francisco 49ers, Top Stories
82 Responses to “Delanie Walker’s aunt and uncle died in crash hours after Super Bowl”
  1. Mr. Wright 212 says: Feb 6, 2013 1:16 PM

My God. I hate hearing this.

2. daroc88 says: Feb 6, 2013 1:18 PM

What an awful story. I pray that the driver nevers sees the light of day again.

3. josephgattuso says: Feb 6, 2013 1:18 PM

WTF… That’s awful.

4. steelpenbucs87 says: Feb 6, 2013 1:19 PM

Thoughts and prayers… thoughts and prayers.

5. coreydemoss says: Feb 6, 2013 1:19 PM

Damn, this is just terrible to hear.. More innocent lives lost because of drunk drivers, and so easily avoidable. It astonishes me how often people still get behind the wheel when they’re drunk. My thoughts and prayers are with the Walker family.

6. seahawksteven777 says: Feb 6, 2013 1:19 PM

I really can’t stand people like this that drive while drunk. They show no regard for other human life.

7. purplegreenandgold says: Feb 6, 2013 1:21 PM

How come it seems the one thats in the wrong escapes with minor to NO injuries…just not fair. RIP

8. cjspiller12 says: Feb 6, 2013 1:22 PM

Terrible news………so sorry for Delanie Walker….guy seems like a class act too.

9. inharmswhey says: Feb 6, 2013 1:24 PM

Terrible. Best wishes Delanie.

10. flavadave10 says: Feb 6, 2013 1:24 PM

In all seriousness, Rest In Peace. That’s horrible. Hope Thomas doesn’t get behind the wheel of a car ever again.

11. zeddicuszorander says: Feb 6, 2013 1:24 PM

It’s always the drunk who walks away virtually unscathed in these crashes. Tragic story.

12. getthegleam says: Feb 6, 2013 1:26 PM

And another drunk lives to tell the tale. Terrible just terrible. My heart goes out to the Walker family.

13. ravensfan8780 says: Feb 6, 2013 1:27 PM

Wow that’s terrible, I feel for that young man and his family

14. nashz84 says: Feb 6, 2013 1:30 PM

If there’s one thing I hate is when people drive drink ,the absolute worst

15. kingpel says: Feb 6, 2013 1:31 PM

This is sad to hear. Hang in there, D.

16. mrgrant23 says: Feb 6, 2013 1:32 PM

Our prayers are with you Delanie. No one should go through this.

17. grandpoopah says: Feb 6, 2013 1:32 PM

Tragic. Hang in there, Delanie and family.

18. robertocfg says: Feb 6, 2013 1:32 PM

I wouldn’t care if people drove drunk if they were the only ones in danger. But people need to realize that when you do it, you’re putting everyone around you in danger. Really sad news. No matter if it’s the family of an NFL player or some average Joe. Nobody should die because of the recklessness of somebody else.

19. noring4youstill says: Feb 6, 2013 1:33 PM

That sucks

20. sixjak says: Feb 6, 2013 1:33 PM

No words.

21. ballboy48 says: Feb 6, 2013 1:35 PM

Why do people feel the need to drive after drinking. Call a cab, or wait until you sober up. I hope they throw the book at her!

22. tommyribs says: Feb 6, 2013 1:38 PM

How people in this day and and age STILL think it is OK to go out and have a few pops and then get behind the wheel of a car is simply beyond me.

It is beyond selfish.

The roads belong to everyone, and we need to be better about sharing them, respectfully!

23. footballfan58 says: Feb 6, 2013 1:39 PM

24. schmitty2 says: Feb 6, 2013 1:40 PM

Sad, sad story. What’s also really sad is the morons on here who thumbs down an article like this

25. randyschwimmer7 says: Feb 6, 2013 1:42 PM

Very terrible. Hate reading about this stuff. Thoughts and prayers are out to all involved. Just horrible news.

26. mrtrappedinmymindsr says: Feb 6, 2013 1:47 PM

Damn

27. bleedburgandyandgold says: Feb 6, 2013 1:48 PM

Very sad your family is in my prayers D.

28. commonsensedude says: Feb 6, 2013 1:49 PM

Horrible, horrible story. Prayers to Mr. Walker and his family.

Drunk driving kills. Completely inexcusable and I hope more people begin to learn that when they drive a car while drunk this is one of the things that could easily happen.

29. lambeauphan says: Feb 6, 2013 1:51 PM

whats with all these readers giving thumbs down to all these posts of sadness/concern/prayers? What is wrong with some of you, have a heart

30. ttommytom says: Feb 6, 2013 1:53 PM

My wife’s life was ruined by a drunk driver. I rarely use the word ‘hate’ but I HATE them.

Next drunk that hurts my family is going home in a box. Period.

Keep up those fast car, big truck and beer commercials.

Terrible tragedy.

My condolences to the family.

31. jeffharwell3 says: Feb 6, 2013 1:56 PM

Just horrible news…Thoughts out to Delanie Walker and his family.

Why are so many people giving thumbs down to all of the condolences posts?

32. ottograham says: Feb 6, 2013 1:57 PM

Condolences to the Walker family for their loss.

Walker played a hell of a game on Sunday. Watch every snap that guy was in and I bet you he contributed.

*He will get himself a ring in the near future.

33. joemontanawasthegreatest says: Feb 6, 2013 1:58 PM

Things like this put everything into perspective. The loss of a game, even the Superbowl, is of little relevance compared to the loss of a loved one.

34. icecubeusedtobeangry says: Feb 6, 2013 2:00 PM

Bad deal, sad to hear this stuff.

35. btwicey says: Feb 6, 2013 2:02 PM

So sad

36. ohenry78 says: Feb 6, 2013 2:03 PM

That is awful. The family has my condolences, for what those may be worth.

As a side, you notice how you never see a headline for “Two killed in accident, at-fault party was high on marijuana”? And yet alcohol is legal while weed gets you prison time. Hmmmm…

37. rowingdave says: Feb 6, 2013 2:04 PM

What the hell is up with all the “thumbs downs”???

The below comment received 13 up, and 14 DOWN:

” So very sorry to hear this tragic news. You are in my prayers Mr. Walker and so is the rest of your family.”

Hate to be our collective grandmother, but what the hell is wrong with people. We’re all different…but do you really thumbs down a comment that expresses condolences?? Sorry for spending time and energy on this, but this makes me a little worried about who I’m sharing oxygen with on this earth.

38. scoobies05 says: Feb 6, 2013 2:04 PM

so very sorry to hear this.

39. footballfan58 says: Feb 6, 2013 2:05 PM

Would some of you “thumbs down” people enlighten me as to why you are voting a thumbs down on the sympathies that are being sent to Mr. Walker and his family?

40. bradygirl12 says: Feb 6, 2013 2:06 PM

So sorry to hear this…thoughts and prayers.

41. crushfan says: Feb 6, 2013 2:07 PM

what’s up with people down voting people for being sorry or showing sympathy?

42. demolition510 says: Feb 6, 2013 2:07 PM

I will never understand drunk drivers.

The sad thing is, I’m sure some who think driving drunk is stupid have done this or do this thinking it won’t happen to them.

43. sdfan91911 says: Feb 6, 2013 2:09 PM

Hey lambeauphan I was thinking the same thing!!! RIP the both of you!

44. kenyo360 says: Feb 6, 2013 2:10 PM

why do so many sympathetic comments have thumbs down? What is wrong with people

45. dexterismyhero says: Feb 6, 2013 2:12 PM

Hey PTF, can you just remove the thumbs down option when posting a story like this?

All the jackheads do this so someone will say something about it.

I say remove them and make them get a new login if you can tell who does it!

46. yousuxxors says: Feb 6, 2013 2:14 PM

its always the drunk who gets away without harm. is it that hard to get a cab? prayers go out to the walker family.

47. nolahxc says: Feb 6, 2013 2:19 PM

So sad! Thoughts and prayers.

I had driven by that wreck that morning not knowing the extent of the injuries of the people involved. It looked horrible.

They really need to stiffen the penalties of driving drunk. Whether it was a little or a lot, it definitely should not be tolerated!

Say NO to driving drunk/buzzed/whatever!

48. giantsfan2104 says: Feb 6, 2013 2:23 PM

rowingdave says:
    Feb 6, 2013 2:04 PM
    What the hell is up with all the “thumbs downs”???

The below comment received 13 up, and 14 DOWN:

================================

My thoughts exactly.

49. commonsensedude says: Feb 6, 2013 2:24 PM

Hey, whoever out there is giving thumbs down to these posts, why not man up and explain why you’re voting them down. Are you, like, in favor of drunk driving accidents where people get killed or something? I think a lot of us would like to understand your point of view.

50. mlbbal52 says: Feb 6, 2013 2:29 PM

This is awful RIP…

51. gbsfinest420 says: Feb 6, 2013 2:33 PM

daroc88 says:
    Feb 6, 2013 1:18 PM
    What an awful story. I pray that the driver nevers sees the light of day again.

yea man.. the really sad thing is in the US if you kill someone while driving dunk or molest children or even rape and murder someone… you will probably do little or no time at all in most cases…

she will probably get up to a year in jail at the MOST…

but lets say she didnt pay taxes or was involved with making untaxed money??? then she would be in jail for life…

very sad…

52. richcranium2112 says: Feb 6, 2013 2:34 PM

Prayers are with your family!

My brother and his friend were killed 33 years ago by a DUI driver leaving a bar after watching a football game. Buried him on what would have been 16th birthday. RIP Steve, Todd and the Youngs!

53. footballfan58 says: Feb 6, 2013 2:37 PM

Ok, after politely asking for an explanation on why so many thumbs down on the sympathetic comments, no one has manned up and stepped forward. You are cowards, scum of the earth and probably drunks yourself who can’t understand the horrors of what drunk driving does.

And, again, all my prayers to the Walker family.

54. iseek11 says: Feb 6, 2013 2:41 PM

I have never read a story that says ” Drunk driver crashes into family. Drunk driver languishes for hours while rescue team struggles to extricate him/her before dying at the scene. Family escapes unharmed.”

Always seems to be this way instead. Innocent dead, 26 y/o girl ruined for life.

And yet tonight it will happen again…somewhere.

55. chawk12thman says: Feb 6, 2013 2:47 PM

Wouldn’t it be nice to have PFT go ahead and list those that voted down on some of these comments are obviously expressing condolences to Delanie Walker and his family and nothing else? The computer tracking could produce the list quickly……..

Now watch the 30-45 who voted against the condolences vote quickly here……

56. goldrush94 says: Feb 6, 2013 2:50 PM

Very Sad. What I want to know is who are the gutless idiots who are giving thumbs down to these comments?

57. commonsensedude says: Feb 6, 2013 2:50 PM

Why give the anonymous thumbs down when you can be a little brave and comment on what exactly you disagree with?

58. randyschwimmer7 says: Feb 6, 2013 2:50 PM

commonsensedude says:
    Feb 6, 2013 2:24 PM

__________________________________

Because they are NOT MEN, they are cowards.

59. goldenperspective says: Feb 6, 2013 2:53 PM

Prayers to you and the family Delanie. Shame on those who thumbs down these comments expressing condolences.

60. skittlesareyum says: Feb 6, 2013 2:53 PM

So who’s in favor of banning those that are thumbing down all the comments?

61. goldrush4949 says: Feb 6, 2013 2:55 PM

As if losing the Super Bowl wasn’t devastating enough for this guy.

62. baymac408 says: Feb 6, 2013 3:00 PM

Very sad to see this happen.. My thoughts and prayers go out to Delanie and his family… I respect Delanie on the highest level and want to see him stay in a 49er uniform..

63. worldwidebleater says: Feb 6, 2013 3:00 PM

Has anyone verified this “aunt and uncle”? Has he actually met them, or at least spoken to them on Skype?

64. bradygirl12 says: Feb 6, 2013 3:20 PM

Anyone who giving thumbs down to messages of condolence is very mentally disturbed. He or she needs to grow up,get help,or both.

65. veence69 says: Feb 6, 2013 3:23 PM

worldwidebleater says: Feb 6, 2013 3:00 PM

———–

first off: ew. secondly: you’re onthe internet already, Sherlock.. Why don’t you do some digging and stop expecting others to do the work for you.

66. arrowhead816 says: Feb 6, 2013 3:24 PM

I don’t how someone can dislike/thumbs down someone comment after sending a condolences….

Anyway my heart goes out to the Walker & Young family after this tragedy…

67. 69finfan says: Feb 6, 2013 3:47 PM

Here is a suggestion to cut down on DUI/DWI/Impaired driving on alcohol. All new vehicles sold in the US have an interlock system installed, car won’t start if someone blows over the legal limit. The problem is under current laws you leave it up to the individual to determine if they are impaired. An average size male is going to be legally impaired in all states after consuming only a couple of drinks in a couple hour period. No one on here will admit it but I venture to say that at least 80% of the people commenting here have driven while legally impaired. There are some countries where on your first DUI the punishment is death!

68. ravenmaniac1969 says: Feb 6, 2013 4:05 PM

Sorry to hear about Delanie Walker’s aunt and uncle. It puts things into perspective. As much as I wanted the Ravens to win the Super Bowl, it is just a game. My condolences to Delanie Walker and his family. My family and I will be praying for you.

69. ravenmaniac1969 says: Feb 6, 2013 4:11 PM

Putting thumbs down is a just a sign of immaturity. I would hope that if Delanie, the 49′ers, or his family happened to come across this page they would see people with class.

70. darkneptune73 says: Feb 6, 2013 4:18 PM

A player just lost his aunt and uncle hours after he lost the Super Bowl. That’s just unfair. No player deserves that.

71. sactown9er916 says: Feb 6, 2013 4:18 PM

Seriously, what’s up with all the thumbs down? Damn some people… R.I.P to the victims. Stay strong Delanie.

72. goldrush36 says: Feb 6, 2013 4:29 PM

So this girl will do 22 years very maximum for killing 2 people. Not a fan of stricter laws in most cases but I believe anyone that kills somebody driving drunk should face 1st degree murder charges.. their “stupid young mistake” costs other people lives

73. friendlylittletrees says: Feb 6, 2013 4:36 PM

Death penalty for drunk driving resulting in the death of others.

Permanent removal of license after one incident if no deaths occur. Should help a little.

74. tdstevie says: Feb 6, 2013 4:37 PM

As a Packer fan, I wish him peace and comfort in his time of tragedy

75. upstaterules says: Feb 6, 2013 5:49 PM

Thoughts and prayers to the family. They must of been very proud of their nephew, he had a great Super Bowl!!

76. bjbeliever says: Feb 6, 2013 6:57 PM

They look like really nice people. Heartbreaking to hear.

77. fearthehoody says: Feb 6, 2013 7:08 PM

Played with Delanie at Mt San Antonio College before he went to SE Missouri. Prayers are with you and your family

78. sactown9er916 says: Feb 6, 2013 9:08 PM

I’ sure its one a-hole doing it over and over again. Get a life loser

79. raiderdaddy says: Feb 7, 2013 2:22 AM

Condolences DW. Were with you.

80. sweetnola09 says: Feb 7, 2013 9:35 PM

That young women should never of been in a car!!! My prayers go out to Delanie and his family. Hang in there Delanie. Hope that young woman stays in jail. Period.
    What’s with all the thumbs down?? We are talking about real human beings here. Two, sadly lost their lives, and the other is in mourning, missing them. Even though we may pull for other teams, this has nothing to do with a “team”. It has to do with real live humans. Please show respect.

81. philcoa says: Feb 8, 2013 11:48 AM

sactown9er916 says: Feb 6, 2013 9:08 PM

I’m sure its one a-hole doing it over and over again. Get a life loser.

I don’t think more than one thumbs up or down is permitted. I wouldn’t bother protesting as that is exactly what these people want.

Deepest sympathy to Delanie and his family in this tragic and needless loss of life.

82. lesliebirch says: Feb 8, 2013 5:58 PM

At last I got here. My condolences To Delanie Walker & his family. From as far away as Australia, I am feeling your pain. To lose someone so close to you after the biggest game of your life, is more painful than losing the game itself. I am sure your Aunt & Uncle were so very proud of you and were smiling all the way. How sad it is for their lives to be cut short & be taken away by a person who should not have been on the road in the first place. Whether we like it or not, there is a justice system. I urge you all to respect that and allow it to work properly. If you must, then heck vent your anger at the person, not the system. Don’t take matters into your own hands. Do not stoop down to their level. I hope they get, all that’s coming to them, and then some. May the Lord Bless his Aunt n Uncle, I know our saviour will take them into his bosom and show them a better life. AMEN.