Gregg Williams: “I take full responsibility and apologize”

File photo of Buffalo Bills head coach Gregg Williams Reuters

On his first day back in the NFL after being suspended for orchestrating the Saints’ bounty program, new Titans assistant coach Gregg Williams said he accepts the blame for the mess he created in New Orleans, and that he vows to do things the right way going forward.

“I met with the commissioner last week and we had a good talk, and I thank him for my reinstatement back into the league,” Williams said. “I take full responsibility and apologize for my previous actions and I’ve used this year to reorganize my life and put focus on positive energy and positive ways to inspire, and coach, and motivate in this profession. I’m here to put my focus and my energies into working tirelessly on behalf of the Titans and making as much of a positive impact in every way possible as I can for them. I’m grateful for this opportunity and I’m looking forward with excitement to get started.”

Williams said he spent a lot of his year away doing volunteer work.

“It was a great year to travel, I’ve spoken all over the country. I visited Thailand, worked with some impoverished villages, a lot of orphanages over there. I’m a sucker for kids,” Williams said. “I spoke to many Pop Warner, junior high, high school and college programs over the country and I did that in a way that was trying not to focus any attention on me, but on the game.”

Williams has grown a goatee and mentioned that he has lost a lot of weight during his year off, and he stressed that he’s excited and energetic about joining head coach Mike Munchak’s staff. Munchak, too, said he was excited, noting that he and Williams first worked together on the Houston Oilers when Munchak was a player and Williams was an assistant, and that they’ve also been assistant coaches together on the Titans’ staff.

“I’ve known Gregg for 20 years. In 1990, when Jack Pardee came over to the Oilers, coach Williams came with him as a quality control coach. I watched him work his butt off,” Munchak said of Williams. “He made players better than they probably should be.”

Munchak, who mentioned that Williams is on a one-year contract, said he contacted NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell when he first got the idea that Williams could make a difference on his coaching staff.

“I called Commissioner Goodell and I talked to him about Gregg’s situation and he was very open about it,” Munchak said.

Williams said he was always confident that if he did the right things, he would get another chance to coach in the NFL. Now he has that chance in Tennessee.

Permalink 65 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Rumor Mill, Tennessee Titans, Top Stories
65 Responses to “Gregg Williams: “I take full responsibility and apologize””
  1. dexterismyhero says: Feb 7, 2013 4:27 PM

Good for you coach!

2. Danny Anderson says: Feb 7, 2013 4:28 PM

I think that the NFL really needs to put this whole bounty thing behind it. Letting Coach P back in was step one and now this seems logical. This seems like a re-do, and maybe it’s time. Forgive and forget, right?

3. drgreenstreak says: Feb 7, 2013 4:28 PM

But has he sought treatment?

4. packattack1967 says: Feb 7, 2013 4:31 PM

This is jaw dropping. He has no business on an NFL sideline. The Titans are the lowest franchise in the NFL.

5. jnovi86 says: Feb 7, 2013 4:32 PM

Way to stick to your guns and follow through with punishments NFL.

6. hoops737 says: Feb 7, 2013 4:34 PM

Even after all of this, you’ll still have a place in my heart Gregg

SB XLIV Champs

7. hor2012 says: Feb 7, 2013 4:36 PM

drgreenstreak says:

I’m a Saints fan. But, that is funny as hell. On another note, I so ready to move on from this so we can start just talking smack about our teams and not about the bounty issue, or as I believe non-issue

8. azarkhan says: Feb 7, 2013 4:38 PM

Old story-nobody cares.

9. 619sdfan4life says: Feb 7, 2013 4:38 PM

10. conormacleod says: Feb 7, 2013 4:41 PM

I’m ok with this. Now, if only Saints fans could move beyond the denial stage.

11. sammyias says: Feb 7, 2013 4:44 PM

Good for him. I always appreciate when a person owns their failures.

I truly hope he was humbled, and will be a better person going forward. I also hope one day if I screw up really bad, the rest of you people (my peers) will allow me to make amends, and work to be a better person. We all have room for that.

Your recovery started when you started telling the truth, this is just a continuation. There are still players out there denying their participation, or knowledge of the obvious.

12. seattlesuperchronic says: Feb 7, 2013 4:45 PM

I’m over the bounty scandal. But this guy is scum.

13. baily67 says: Feb 7, 2013 4:47 PM

Packattack, you have no clue about the Titans organization. People deserve second chances, so give him one.

14. twodat says: Feb 7, 2013 4:47 PM

Glad Williams life starts over; Saints are still dealing with the after effects and loss of a draft pick because he brought this cancer into the organization

15. chc4 says: Feb 7, 2013 4:48 PM

What does he take responsibility for? Brees claims nothing happened. #9 is a great player but not real bright.

16. ickky says: Feb 7, 2013 4:49 PM

hoops737 says:Feb 7, 2013 4:34 PM

“Even after all of this, you’ll still have a place in my heart Gregg

SB XLIV Champs*”

fixed your post

17. thaoption1 says: Feb 7, 2013 4:52 PM

This Snake doesn’t deserves to be in the NFL

18. pft0 says: Feb 7, 2013 4:59 PM

“He made players better than they probably should be.”

By encouraging and managing bounties.

19. wkdblc52 says: Feb 7, 2013 5:00 PM

Ok, drill sargent Williams, you think those six little words will make everything all right. huh ? After all the BS you’ve caused it amazes me you can still get a job in the NFL. I still can remember you with the bullhorn and the military attitude when you ” tried ” to bring a winner in Buffalo.

The NFL should have banned you for enternity, Williams !

20. packattack1967 says: Feb 7, 2013 5:01 PM

baily67 says: Feb 7, 2013 4:47 PM

I do know about them now. Im not saying he shouldnt work. Just not in football. Payment for physical harm? That’s illegal even off the gridiron. This guy is a puke and shouldn’t even be let into an NFL stadium as a spectator.

21. stevent92 says: Feb 7, 2013 5:05 PM

Williams takes full responsibility for something that apparently never happened. What a load of you-know-what.

22. musicman495 says: Feb 7, 2013 5:06 PM

619sdfan4life says: Feb 7, 2013 4:38 PM

——————————–
    Let’s try this again:

1. What Payton and Williams have apologized for is NOT what the NFL accused them and their players of doing.

2. The league’s “proof” is the unsworn word of two disgruntled former employees.

3. Tagliabue’s appeal decision showed that the Saints were not punished for anything that was done on the field – only things talked about off the field.

Those are the facts. You have your facts. Let’s agree to disagree, drop it, and move on.

23. attyken says: Feb 7, 2013 5:07 PM

The staints should be stripped if their Lombardi as it is as tainted as they are.

24. ttommytom says: Feb 7, 2013 5:10 PM

Tennessee Jed

25. meldrel says: Feb 7, 2013 5:11 PM

Gee Gregg why didn’t you say that from the beginning instead of throwing Saints players under the bus and aligning yourself with Cerullo?

26. turtlehut says: Feb 7, 2013 5:11 PM

And Drew Brees still demands an explanation!

27. noring4youstill says: Feb 7, 2013 5:13 PM

1st of course they the coaches will “admit” wrong doing. They have to in order to be let back in by out lord and chief.

28. thegreatgabbert says: Feb 7, 2013 5:21 PM

The Williams are a blight on the NFL landscape. I’m sure if the family has a dog, it is fat, mean, and stupid as well.

There will never be equal opportunity in coaching ranks as long as this rampant nepotism is allowed to flourish. It’s like a medieval fiefdom out there. You have to be born into your career.

29. tincansailor981 says: Feb 7, 2013 5:24 PM

Nice job, Gregg, you sold out your team to save your own butt. There’s no doubt this reinstatement is a reward for Telling Goodell exactly what he wanted to hear. Its finally over so it really doesn’t matter anymore to the vast majority of us. He’ll still have his own conscious to live with, if he has one. Good luck to you Tennessee.

30. fwippel says: Feb 7, 2013 5:29 PM

Okay Gregg, who’s it going to be next year?

I can see it now on opening day: Gregg Williams in the locker room with a few Ben Franklins in his hand. He slams them on the table during the pre-game warmup and shouts: “Andrew Luck doesn’t finish the game!”.

31. vtopa says: Feb 7, 2013 5:30 PM

Everybody deserves a second shot….

…said Williams when he was telling players how to collect their money for taking out the opposition.

32. flannlv says: Feb 7, 2013 5:30 PM

“I spent a some time in Thailand…I am a sucker for kids.”

33. jr4real says: Feb 7, 2013 5:36 PM

SAINTS FANS PLEASE READ

34. thefiesty1 says: Feb 7, 2013 5:36 PM

Banned for life. No place in football for this kind of coach.

35. spicymudbugs says: Feb 7, 2013 5:43 PM

Goodell held all the cards over the coaches. They are not under the CBA. They either had to bow at his feet and say publicly whatever he told them to say or they wouldn’t be allowed to coach in the NFL again. He held a gun to their head and there was nothing they could do. He’s nothing but a bully

36. mark0226 says: Feb 7, 2013 5:44 PM

If he takes full responsibility, then why did he testify against Vilma and the other players?

37. theclaim says: Feb 7, 2013 5:48 PM

Good luck to you Gregg. I hope you are able to flourish back into one of the most revered d coordinators in the league. HTTR

38. ialwayswantedtobeabanker says: Feb 7, 2013 5:50 PM

Gregg Williams: “I take full responsibility and apologize.”

Memo to self-serving manipulators: the acceptance of full responsibility only counts when it is sincere and not extended purely out of self-interest. It also helps not to leave a wake of victims whom you remorsely abused for a protracted period of time too.

39. laserw says: Feb 7, 2013 5:56 PM

Disgusting coach. How is it that we can take the NFL seriously on safety when they allow a man who put up bounty’s to intentionally harm other players?

The NFL is a joke and that Goodhell is a butt munch.

40. vikingdoode says: Feb 7, 2013 6:17 PM

it will be interesting to see how well he coaches with out money pool for incentives…. Think a year taught him well….but who am i to judge im a viking fan. But it was nice to see the Saints not be in the the playoffs and have the the lights go off at the Super Bowl…New Orleans should never have a another Super Bowl there again…What an embarrassment to the world… lol while my town freezes we still have electricity. Greg wish you well and hope your defense gives up 600 yards a game. so you just fade away.

41. frankiemontana says: Feb 7, 2013 6:19 PM

come on you knew it was coming,
    Drew Brees wants an explanation

42. mrlaloosh says: Feb 7, 2013 6:25 PM

Fantasy Land. Nashville, Tennessee. This clown should run for mayor.

43. mrlaloosh says: Feb 7, 2013 6:27 PM

Vikingdoodoo, go away. Your Vikings will never win a Super Bowl. 0 for FOUR! Quit embarrassing yourselves.

44. iamwhodat says: Feb 7, 2013 6:35 PM

@vikingdodo
    Yeah it was a big embarrassment, just like the Vikings losing 4 Super Bowls, just like the Metrodome roof collapsing, your organization basically begging Favre to play another year, and the love boat saga. Lmbo! I rather be a Saints fan, then a Vikings fan any day.

45. ejmat2 says: Feb 7, 2013 6:39 PM

This guy should have never been reinstated nor should anyone have hired him. But they did and now it’s time to move on. However, I want to hear one more time some Saint fan stating there was no bounty. He pretty much admitted it along with his Payton.

46. orndorf2 says: Feb 7, 2013 6:39 PM

Sounds like he took a Sandusky style sabbatical !

47. profootballwalk says: Feb 7, 2013 6:41 PM

“I worked with orphans.”

Yeah – when you wanted to use their bad f0rtune to clean up your image, you turd. There is no crime you can commit that you can’t skate for as long as you can make someone money. The guy makes my skin crawl. I just hope he has no children – a guy like that shouldn’t be allowed anywhere near raising kids.

48. ghjjf says: Feb 7, 2013 6:41 PM

The Lombardi trophy should be taken away from the cheating sAints and given to the team that rightfully deserved it…the Vikings.

49. purplepunisher says: Feb 7, 2013 6:42 PM

This is a disgrace. Oh well, the Titans whole staff will be gone after another 4-12 season.

50. trollaikman8 says: Feb 7, 2013 6:43 PM

Is he apologizing for being a bad defensive coordinator?
    He should.

51. allday28mvp says: Feb 7, 2013 6:57 PM

no place in league for this guy

52. kb1953 says: Feb 7, 2013 7:11 PM

“I apoligize and take responsibility” yeah after you got a new job you’re happy to say that. This guy sucks! As a Colts fan, I can’t wait to watch Luck shred this douche every game.

53. scorp16 says: Feb 7, 2013 7:34 PM

I find this so ironic.

You all do realize that Williams and Peyton are better off today than they were before they got suspended.

Peyton’s salary is now $8 Million (vs $7 Million)

Williams is a Senior Assistant Coach which means he’s 4 losses away from possibly being named interim Head Coach

Now that is some serious Marie Laveau – New Orleans Voodoo. Guess she really wanted the SB.

54. vegasvinnie says: Feb 7, 2013 8:07 PM

619sdfan4life says:
    Feb 7, 2013 4:38 PM
    Funny how Payton and Williams have apologized taking responsibility but Vilma, and Brees are adamant that “There is no proof” and the Goddel wants nothing more then to destroy their reputations. Just saying.
    ====================================

Funny how the players’ suspensions were vacated when Tagliabue essentially said that “there was no proof.”

Just saying.

55. vegasvinnie says: Feb 7, 2013 8:25 PM

vikingdoode says:
    Feb 7, 2013 6:17 PM
    ===================================The Superdome has electricity…and a Super Bowl champions banner…thanks in large part to the Vikings. :)

Embarrassing is having to play a “home” game at Detroit because your stadium’s roof collapsed.

56. ripster65 says: Feb 7, 2013 8:33 PM

His penalty amounted to a year off to travel the world. I’m not sure if he was paid or not while suspended but I’d be willing to bet he could financially afford the time off. Oh well, it is what it is at this point…

57. mjkelly77 says: Feb 7, 2013 8:52 PM

Sorry to see that so many Saints fans are still in denial.

58. hoops737 says: Feb 7, 2013 8:52 PM

ickky says:
    Feb 7, 2013 4:49 PM
    hoops737 says:Feb 7, 2013 4:34 PM

“Even after all of this, you’ll still have a place in my heart Gregg

SB XLIV Champs*”

fixed your post
    —————-

Let me guess, you’re a Vikings fan : D

59. jcbadger34 says: Feb 7, 2013 9:07 PM

Saints fans are still trying to figure out what he’s apologizing for, since according to them, nobody did anything wrong.

Being confused is not a new thing for Saints fans.

60. flipola says: Feb 7, 2013 10:11 PM

Williams is excited because with this truly awful coaching staff all around, a promotion is never too far away.

61. 619sdfan4life says: Feb 7, 2013 10:50 PM

@vegasvinnie

How many games did Vilma play in and how many games did Payton and Williams coach this year. I could careless what Tagilabue said as a “independent party” hired by NFL to rule on something that Goddell already enforced. Ponit is they are only Apologizing because they got reinstated and I’m willing to bet they were told to apologize as a condition of their reinstatment. If nothing really happened like Brees and Vilma say then why apologize.

Just saying

62. Sometimes Interesting says: Feb 8, 2013 6:12 AM

$50 says Goodell tells Williams in that meeting that he’s re-instated if he publicly apologizes & accepts responsibility.

63. fanofevilempire says: Feb 8, 2013 6:52 AM

at least he didn’t cry with his wife by his side.

hope it works out for him, thumbs up to Goodell
    for letting him work.

good work with the charity.

64. wiley16350 says: Feb 8, 2013 8:19 AM

Just saying.
    __________________________________
    Funny how you have no idea of what actually happened. Taglibue vacated the player’s suspensions because he held the coaches responsible and not the players. Saying the players only did what the coaches encouraged and allowed them to do. Taglibue confirmed that the evidence was there to convict the players but decided to not hold them responsible.

65. jessethegreat says: Feb 8, 2013 1:47 PM

No, what’s funny is having to play your home games in Houston because your city planning commission didn’t realize the possibility of a hurricane hitting a coastal city that was built BELOW SEA LEVEL.

It’s also funny how Saints fans now revere Mr. Benson and completely forgot how he was trying to move his team before the hurricane.