Peterson says pain was at a 10 in Week 16

Minnesota Vikings v Houston Texans Getty Images

Adrian Peterson rushed for 2,097 yards in 2012.  More than half came while he was suffering from a sports hernia.

Specially, he gained 1,068 after Week 10, when he says the injury occurred against the Lions.

“That next day I felt very uncomfortable in my groin and abdominal area,” Peterson tells Josina Anderson of ESPN.  “I thought to myself I’ll just wait until I recover but I never did.  I came out after that play. Each week it just got worse and worse and worse.”

Peterson said the pain was the worst in Week 16 against the Texans.

“Against Houston, that was probably the worse I felt,” Peterson said.  “That was the first time that I really doubted myself and questioned whether I would be able to continue the season.  The pain was a 10 on a scale of 10.  Put it like this, I developed a new respect for Greg Jennings who had the same type of injury.  Initially I thought Greg was tripping and that he needed to be playing, but when I got it I was like, I understand bro’.  This is nothing to fool with.”

“It definitely impacted my play,” Peterson said.  “I wasn’t 100 percent, but I wanted to win a championship.  I wasn’t going to stop or quit.  I made a decision to keep going. I don’t want to make it seem like the sports hernia made me miss it.  I could have done it with the injury.  All I can say is that I would have had better performances.”

Peterson didn’t appear on the injury report with the condition until Week 15, when he was listed as probable with an abdomen injury.  In Week 16 against Houston, Peterson was probable with the designation abdomen/groin.  In Week 17 and in the wild-card playoffs against the Packers, Peterson again was probable with an abdomen injury.

Typically, the NFL doesn’t fine teams for undisclosed injuries after a season has ended — unless the player talks about it so much that the league ultimately has no choice but to take action.

Permalink 49 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Minnesota Vikings, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
49 Responses to “Peterson says pain was at a 10 in Week 16”
  1. paepae805 says: Feb 7, 2013 3:03 PM

AP The Purple Jesus

2. magoopaintrock says: Feb 7, 2013 3:07 PM

Wow that is one tough, dumb man.

3. godofwine330 says: Feb 7, 2013 3:09 PM

The “Until you walk a mile in a man’s shoes” deal is interesting. Deion Sanders speaking on the guys with concussions irked Joe Horn for the same reason. Pain is tough to deal with, but the fact that these players only have health insurance for 5 years and that’s it. After that, they are basically uninsurable and must pay high premiums. AP has walked a quarter of a mile in Greg Jennings’ shoes and couldn’t finish the mile. Pain is real, ladies and gentlemen.

4. gloryfromheaven says: Feb 7, 2013 3:09 PM

You could say his injury impacted his game even more :P

5. len462 says: Feb 7, 2013 3:17 PM

If he was 100% he would’ve destroyed the Pack. Guess we’ll just have to settle for him being 80% and destroying the Packers.

6. ttommytom says: Feb 7, 2013 3:20 PM

Wow…

7. ss376 says: Feb 7, 2013 3:20 PM

That’s why he deserved to be MVP. This is the only time when Peyton Manning winning MVP would’ve been a travesty.

8. btwicey says: Feb 7, 2013 3:20 PM

What a beast, gosh this guy is so good for NFL

9. thekingdave says: Feb 7, 2013 3:21 PM

Makes the Texans pathetic performance in the game even less excusable

10. ljtola says: Feb 7, 2013 3:23 PM

“The scariest part of the situation is that Peterson believes he would have been ever better if he’d been healthy.”

I’d argue that the scariest part of the situation is the mindset reflected in AP’s comments about Jennings. The ‘man up’ attitude prevalent in football speaks to the culture of pier pressure players likely feel when they chose to play through injuries. The long term effects of football aren’t just head injuries but joint and overall health as well. Many players get compensated nicely for their choice but probably wish they were less reckless about their health and didn’t just suck it up as evidenced by the long list of plaintiffs dealing with health issues after their careers have ended.

11. iverpuke says: Feb 7, 2013 3:24 PM

Gutty!

12. wayne1693 says: Feb 7, 2013 3:25 PM

13. lennydpocketqb says: Feb 7, 2013 3:29 PM

This makes him the toughest back of all time. Running that hard with a sports hernia? No wonder why he barely practiced during the week.

14. shivablast says: Feb 7, 2013 3:32 PM

Can someone have AP give Dwight Howard a call?

15. ravensallday2012 says: Feb 7, 2013 3:34 PM

Tired of hearing this guy talk. I really like him but shut up already. Try talking about the team and getting better as a team not MVP and what is hurting u loser

16. tbtrojan says: Feb 7, 2013 3:35 PM

Right, so it was a 10 on a scale of 1 – 10 yet he was still playing in a football game, way to exagerate to sound tougher.
    If it were a 10 you would be passed out carrying a football in a game, at most it would be a 4 or 5.

17. barroomhero80 says: Feb 7, 2013 3:36 PM

Nobody compares.

18. dwarftosser says: Feb 7, 2013 3:38 PM

AP is awesome. It’s too bad he’s stuck in Minnesota when he will never get a ring.

19. titansbro says: Feb 7, 2013 3:44 PM

Yeah, man. If I didn’t have this injury I would’ve had like 3,000 yards. That’s how awesome I am.

We get it man, you’re really good. Now please be quiet.

20. noquickreactionshere says: Feb 7, 2013 4:00 PM

Great job AP… I got an orange peanut for you

21. bradshawlives says: Feb 7, 2013 4:08 PM

What a waste that he plays for the Vikings. Well, at least he can win some individual awards.

22. azarkhan says: Feb 7, 2013 4:08 PM

Take two aspirin, call me in the morning.

23. woodstakes2 says: Feb 7, 2013 4:11 PM

ravensallday2012 says:
    Feb 7, 2013 3:34 PM

Hmmm, quote from article: “I wasn’t 100 percent, but I wanted to win a championship.”

Now, I wasn’t an english major in college, but to me that said he wanted to win a title. My guess would be Super Bowl. I didn’t read anything about wanting win an individual award, but possibly showing the awareness to knowing that the better he played the better his team had of winning especially knowing how utterly terrible his QB is and lack of weapons anywhere other than him after Percy went down.

24. bradshawlives says: Feb 7, 2013 4:18 PM

“I wasn’t 100 percent, but I wanted to win a championship.”

Maybe he should demand a trade?

25. vikesfansteve says: Feb 7, 2013 4:18 PM

That Packers bar in WI where the owner had the sign saying this is what 9 yards looks like. I bet that slob couldn’t walk 9 feet to the bathroom from his couch if he had the same injury. AP is quite an athlete.

26. packownsu says: Feb 7, 2013 4:22 PM

len462 says:
    Feb 7, 2013 3:17 PM

Duh, the Vikings and the great AP have been destroyed by the Pack in 6 of their last 7 games. I guess winning 1 game in the last 3 years is an accomplishment for the empty trophy case vikings.

27. shutupbrees says: Feb 7, 2013 4:27 PM

I really wanted to believe AP was a natural freak, and did this totally on the up and up. But this one comment has decided it for me. There is no way anyone does what he did playing with a 10 out of a 10 pain scale.

He’s clearly dillusional and so caught up with his own mystique that its now obvious to me he’ll do or say anything in order to build up his own legend. Including take PEDs.

28. thisguyonthisthing says: Feb 7, 2013 4:42 PM

AP is very talented and very strong. However there ABSOLUTELY NO WAY that his pain was a 10 out of 10 while he played. If so, then we need to come up with a new scale. 10 means, it can’t be worse. So is he saying that no matter how much pain he is in, he is still able to run?
    Don’t get me wrong, he is a beast, but of the human variety.

29. Ponder This says: Feb 7, 2013 4:42 PM

godofwine330 says:
    Feb 7, 2013 3:09 PM

______

Sounds like he had the same injury as Jennings. He didn’t just finish the mile, he added 337 yards to it.

30. pooflingingmonkey says: Feb 7, 2013 4:48 PM

wayne1693 says:
    Feb 7, 2013 3:25 PM
    “I would love someone to explain the difference between a sports hernia & a groin hernia…?”

There’s this new thing called “the internet”. Perhaps you could find answers there?

31. completefan says: Feb 7, 2013 4:57 PM

Wow! Week 16. That’s Super Bowl week for a lot of leagues. How many people got to their championship only to lose their game because of this?

32. dasmol says: Feb 7, 2013 5:08 PM

He’s either manic or full of himself. If he was at a 10 of 10, he wouldn’t have been playing. He wouldn’t have even been walking.

33. glac1 says: Feb 7, 2013 5:14 PM

almost a record year….. but one and done after their trip to Green Bay.

34. fwippel says: Feb 7, 2013 5:25 PM

Peterson certainly didn’t run like he was hurt. Though that might explain his less than 100 yard performance against Houston. Oddly enough, as bad as the Texans played in that game, they did hold Peterson to less than 90 yards.

Makes me wonder if he’s not a better player with that hernia. He had the best year of his career with it, and did it on a reconstructed knee.

35. I'm Judgemental says: Feb 7, 2013 5:27 PM

Guys, it’s AD “All Day,” not AP “Adrian Peterson.” Even he’s corrected that. That said, Purple Jesus is a freak.

36. comebackid says: Feb 7, 2013 5:34 PM

MVPeterson 2 years in a row web comes back healthy. Hope to watch some records fall next year. Love that people put a lot of emphasis on how the running game is being phased out and he puts his team on his back and takes em to 10 wins.

37. Stupid Raiders Fan says: Feb 7, 2013 5:38 PM

I’m Judgemental says:
    Feb 7, 2013 5:27 PMGuys, it’s AD “All Day,” not AP “Adrian Peterson.”

Maybe he shouldn’t have chosen a nickname so similar to his initials. All Day is a much better nickname, but just as many people call him AP these days.

There’s no creativity in nicknames anymore, just abbreviations.

38. felcus says: Feb 7, 2013 7:47 PM

In other words, Jennings, please sign in MN.

39. beedubyatoo says: Feb 7, 2013 8:03 PM

len462 says:Feb 7, 2013 3:17 PM

————————–
    Class acts like AP don’t deserve puke fans like this.

40. filthymcnasty1 says: Feb 7, 2013 8:10 PM

Having fallen 9 yards short of immortality, now he’s trotting out the excuses.

41. rhinojr says: Feb 7, 2013 8:28 PM

love the guy, but did he take Toradol to get thru the pain? that cant be good

42. mjkelly77 says: Feb 7, 2013 8:37 PM

Sparky Anderson used to say “Pain don’t hurt you”.

43. mjkelly77 says: Feb 7, 2013 8:41 PM

Sounds like a lot of exaggeration to me.

44. thraiderskin says: Feb 8, 2013 12:35 AM

I’m a huge AD fan, but to say you played through a pain level of 10 is ludicrous, he’d be lucky to drag himself 3 feet at that point.

45. pillowporkers says: Feb 8, 2013 9:23 AM

You guys realize on the pain scale of 1-10, that’s subjective right? There’s no definitive description of any number. So quit with the “if it was a 10, it’d be this”. You sound like a moron. Everyone knows 10 out of 10 means the worst pain you’ve ever felt. That’s what that means. I do have a hard time believing watching the video of him getting his knee shredded that didn’t hurt worse.

46. nebster21 says: Feb 8, 2013 9:48 AM

Either he does not know how to rate pain which I would not doubt or he is straight lying.

1 I feel no pain

10 I cannot do anything because this pain is to bad.

Feel free to add what ever you want in between.

47. vikesfansteve says: Feb 8, 2013 1:41 PM

There is no way you would be able to get 9 inches let alone 9 yards if they put you in the game as a RB you blob of jelly but you are talking smack about Peterson only getting 2096. Pathetic.

filthymcnasty1 says:
    Feb 7, 2013 8:10 PM
    Having fallen 9 yards short of immortality, now he’s trotting out the excuses.

48. tokyosandblaster says: Feb 9, 2013 8:44 AM

This seems to be the guy’s MO.

He is always super injured so if he doesn’t do well he can claim to be at a 10 on the injury scale. If he does do well, he can then say “oh, look at me everyone! I overcame this huge injury… I must be a beast! But look at me!”

All. About. Himself.

Oh, and I live it when Vikings fans talk snack to the packers for winning one game in the last three years. Trust everyone: tgat was the exception, not the rule. That was the “any given Sunday.”

The odds that it happens again in the next three years are slim to none.

49. mcoomer146 says: Feb 10, 2013 8:30 AM

Can you believe this guy is from the same planet as you and me?