Despite insults from Packer fans, Jermichael Finley wants to return

Green Bay Packers tight end Jermichael Finley celebrates a first down against the Detroit Lions in the first half of their NFL football game in Green Bay, Wisconsin Reuters

Packers tight end Jermichael Finley has frequently heard taunts from fans in Green Bay about dropped passes, but that doesn’t change his view about playing for the team.

Despite that, Finley says he’d love to continue playing in Green Bay.

“I would love to stay there,” Finley said, “but if Green Bay says otherwise, I play football for a living, so I’d have to switch gears and get ready for another chapter in my life.”

It’s unclear whether the Packers will release Finley before the $3 million bonus he’s due in March, but Finley said he would understand if they do that, or ask him to restructure his contract..

“It’s the nature of the business,” Finley said. “If there’s a guy that’s overpaid or that they think is overpaid, they’ll ask for a pay cut. There’s no doubt that I want to be there for life. But it’s a business and the business will tell you otherwise. I would say on the business front, it’s 50/50. But if it was up to me or anybody in my circle, I would love to be back.”

Even if it means hearing more taunts from Green Bay fans.

Permalink 57 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Green Bay Packers, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
57 Responses to “Despite insults from Packer fans, Jermichael Finley wants to return”
  1. nikkocheeba says: Feb 8, 2013 7:55 AM

I love Jermichael. He doesn’t deserve any of that. Dude can ball! TGIF!

2. elmaxoh says: Feb 8, 2013 7:59 AM

Who doesn’t want to receive pass from Aaron Rodgers ?

3. procheese says: Feb 8, 2013 8:00 AM

Naw he can go. Thank you for your services! Why don’t you just go ahead and take Greg Jennings with ya. Thank you, come again!

4. beardown2489 says: Feb 8, 2013 8:07 AM

5. mountaindont says: Feb 8, 2013 8:12 AM

There was an article written Dec 15 2012 in the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel criticizing Finley. It basically stated he wasn`t worth the money the Packers were paying for him and his off the field comments were a distraction to the team. Ever since that article appeared Finley stepped up his game and the immature behavior stopped. Google “Packers seem to be finished with Finley”

6. philshady25 says: Feb 8, 2013 8:14 AM

Don’t celebrate after a 3 yard catch. Stop talking bad about Rodgers and catch the balls that hit you in the hands and he becomes my favorite Packer. Too much talkie

7. whatjusthapped says: Feb 8, 2013 8:14 AM

Trades are very difficult to pull off in today’s NFL but that is the best option for the Packers. They need to get value for Finley and he is just too full of himself to fit into the team concept.

The fact that they won a Superbowl without him speaks volumes about how intergal he really is to the success of the team.

8. kerryc21realty says: Feb 8, 2013 8:15 AM

He’s done in Green Bay

9. sportsmeccabi says: Feb 8, 2013 8:18 AM

Jermichael Finley sucks.

That is all.

10. jjclark28 says: Feb 8, 2013 8:22 AM

Its not so much his drops, it’s the crap that spews out of his mouth when a mic is put in front of him and the stuff he puts on twitter.

11. tecmoboot says: Feb 8, 2013 8:24 AM

Most overrated TE…ever!!

12. bigbenownsthenfl says: Feb 8, 2013 8:24 AM

Don’t worry packer fans we do the same thing to mike Wallace in Pittsburgh. There’s a reason we never icked him in for a contract. It’s because he has the hands of stone. I’ve seen better hands on a clock!

13. hurrayforyogapants says: Feb 8, 2013 8:26 AM

Wow, nice fans.

14. oldguardof60s says: Feb 8, 2013 8:26 AM

Please come to Minn. to change into a cooler looking uniform. John Deere colors don’t become you.

15. mavajo says: Feb 8, 2013 8:28 AM

Just like McCarthy had to overlook it when you whined about being misused. Just like Rodgers had to overlook it when you whined about not getting the ball enough. And again, like when Rodgers had to overlook it when your agent trashed him on twitter.

16. romosmicrodongs says: Feb 8, 2013 8:28 AM

“When I’m out and about, people will say, ‘Hey don’t drop your keys!’” Finley told the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel. “I get pretty much everything. It became second nature. It doesn’t bother me at all. It’s just something I had to overlook.”

to the green bay fan that actually did this, you made me laugh weeks/months after it happened. thanks!

17. mack2x says: Feb 8, 2013 8:32 AM

Insults? Hey, sometimes the truth hurts.

18. pftisahalftruth says: Feb 8, 2013 8:46 AM

I had the opportunity to spend a week with JF on a Packers sponsored trip, and he is actually a very nice guy. He’s a great teammate and locker room guy. He just lets his immaturity shine through from time to time. I don’t see any way GB could give him the money he is currently due though.

19. getsome636 says: Feb 8, 2013 8:58 AM

I still have hope, as he is only 25. I think they should give him one more chance to meet his potential.

20. mountaindont says: Feb 8, 2013 9:11 AM

*Please come to Minn. to change into a cooler looking uniform. John Deere colors don’t become you

@oldguard Findley`s not going to look any better dressed as Barney. The difference is the guys in the John Deere uniforms win

21. mcjon22 says: Feb 8, 2013 9:15 AM

He’ll be a Dolphin this time a month from now, along with Jennings. Green Bay south is upon us

22. packerbackernj says: Feb 8, 2013 9:17 AM

This guys nickname should be “potential,” because thats all i have ever heard about him was his potential. The guy runs his mouth, makes 1 eye popping catch for every 3 balls he drops. This guy needs to go. If they are going to spend money, id rather it be somewhere else. Maybe he could go to the cowboys and be with the team that all you hear about is their “potential.”

23. sdemp says: Feb 8, 2013 9:23 AM

Most Packer fans are way TOO emotional. . . with that said I’m sure the ones that want Finley gone are the same ones that wanted Jones gone and are the same ones that loved Jones this year.

Finley is a mismatch nightmare for any defense.

24. glac1 says: Feb 8, 2013 9:42 AM

Like him or not…. we need him, an offensive lineman and pass rusher…..

25. ravenmuscle says: Feb 8, 2013 9:57 AM

The Ray Lewis statue will be BEAUTIFUL….Jermichael sucks.

26. muskyhunter2542 says: Feb 8, 2013 9:58 AM

As a Packer fan. I never understood the hate that some other fans have for this guy.
    He is a super nice guy, and he can hang with the best tight ends in the game. He somtimes loses focus and drops balls, but he is only 25 and had a great second half of the season.
    This guys will be a stud when he gets it… And I think that he is starting to.
    I just hope its for the packers and not some other team.

27. immafubared says: Feb 8, 2013 10:00 AM

Insults? Comon Germ Mickle, no one insulted you to your face that your aware of.

Yes a few people may have chanted that you had better chances catching a cold than a football but hey they were just drunk and enjoying you not catching the football.

Yes and a few people posted (no names now) that you were afraid to go up the middle and get your bell rung again. Word has it you asked to walk down the right side of the aisle at a friends wedding rather than the middle. LOL

Please don’t take those cat calls serious. Most of them are just from your coaches and team mates pretending to be in the crowd.

You will soon learn your fate when that bonus is due in two months. If they pay it your in, if not, you can start your own cat calls in free agency.

28. howiehandles says: Feb 8, 2013 10:05 AM

“IF the pack doesn’t want him, the bears would certainly take him over kellen Davis. He could be jimmy graham esque in the right offense.”

Good grief man! I’m a Bear’s fan too, but what makes you think that if he can’t get it down with Rodgers, that he’ll get it done with Cutler?

29. immafubared says: Feb 8, 2013 10:08 AM

Back in the late 50′s the Lions had a great tight end who caught everything until one game he went up the middle and got absolutely creamed. Missed the rest of the season.
    The subsequent years he became Mr Dropsey. If got to be laughable. If he even suspected someone was coming up to lay the wood on he would drop the ball.
    Thus, I have to laugh at Findley because he so reminds me of the Lions guy way back when.
    Matter of fact if you watch game films he runs a lot of out routes heading towards the sidelines and pretty much catches those. Its those routes right down the middle that scare the crap out of him.

30. dcviking says: Feb 8, 2013 10:10 AM

I just don’t see the Packer offense struggling if he is gone. If he’s gonna talk so much, he needs to play better and not get hurt. I’m sure the Pack can find a better use for his salary.

31. 13xworldchamps says: Feb 8, 2013 10:11 AM

MY God Packer fans get a life, he broke Paul Kaufmans records this past year, he has to share the ball with, Jennings, Nelson, Cobb and Jones.

with Jennings as good as gone we will really need this guy, give him a break

32. acmepacker says: Feb 8, 2013 10:12 AM

Hope he stays. I still believe he can be an asset, when he’s on his game he usually draws two defenders and that opens someone else up. Except for a couple of comments his mouth isn’t that bad
    in comparison to a lot of things said by players around the league. He truly wants to stay in Green Bay and that’s a plus.

33. bubbaone says: Feb 8, 2013 10:16 AM

Bring Finley back. The offense w/ Rodgers at the helm is still posed to vie for a Super Bowl run. The benefits of keeping him outweigh the downside. The team can always let him go after 2013 and receive a 3rd or 4th round comp pick.

34. coachhowi says: Feb 8, 2013 10:24 AM

Well well well, Mr. Dorsey is on the phone as I write this post. If he leaves he will be at Arrowhead next year!! we need a TE desperatly!!! Old Milwaukee is to injury prone and Boss won’t ever play again at the level he once was. Come on Findlay The Red Sea would love to greet you in September!!!!

35. coachhowi says: Feb 8, 2013 10:29 AM

Packer fans need to take a look at your arrogant signal caller. Rodgers has turned into a major me guy and will never be the leader he can be because of that.

36. whatthehellisgoingonoutthere says: Feb 8, 2013 10:36 AM

mavajo says: Feb 8, 2013 8:28 AM

………I can’t stand this mouthy moron. I’ll be so glad when they ship his overrated, overpaid butt out of town. Is there a single non-top 10 tight end in the NFL that we have to hear more about than Jerkmichael Finley?
    —————
    Unfortunately, regardless of his mouth…..he is a Top 10 TE.

37. Ponder This says: Feb 8, 2013 10:38 AM

Just another example of that famous Packer fan loyalty, class, and love for their team. Greatest fans in the NFL.

38. jessethegreat says: Feb 8, 2013 10:44 AM

The kid is still very young. Give him the same chance James jones had. Look at the difference in jones from years past to this past year. Caught everything in sight.

He knows the offense and like others have said, is a matchup problem for opposing defenses.

He just needs to keep his mouth shut and catch a few more balls this year. Even with the case of the dropsies, defenses still have to honor his routes… That alone allows better use of our other weapons.

39. purplepunisher says: Feb 8, 2013 10:56 AM

Again I say, as soon as Jennings and Finley leave and the Packers are left with mediocre receivers trying to replace talented receivers Aaron Rodgers greatness will no longer be able to make up for that horrible defense. face it Packers fans after just a 3 year fade the Vikings are once again the most talented team in the NFC North.

40. keepingitrealdumb says: Feb 8, 2013 12:23 PM

not a very good TE .. certainly not good enough to warrant so much press.

look at the real TEs in the business .. jimmy graham, gronk, vernon davis, hernandez, heath miller, jason witten .. are all very reliable pass catchers .. and they all have very good attitudes .. unlike this guy

41. 1stngoal says: Feb 8, 2013 12:41 PM

purplepunisher says: Feb 8, 2013 10:56 AM

That right, you just keep thinking wishfully there purplepunisher, with a looming problem at quarterback, problems at WR, and running back entering the down-side of his career (last year was a career year, hope you enjoyed it while it lasted), the Vikings will continue to wallow in mediocreville for the foreseeable future.

Enjoy!!! :-D

42. PowerMad says: Feb 8, 2013 12:44 PM

I’d expect nothing less from Packers fans, who are often erroneously touted as being the best in the NFL. They’re the most thin-skinned, though.

For a franchise that clearly needs to rebuild, a good first step would be to let this gator arms go. He’s the 8th best TE in his division at best. My guess is, the Packers will try to stick it out one more year on their present formula, finish third or last in the division while missing the play-offs before they clear the decks of their overrated, non-producing players like Finley.

43. cobaltdriver says: Feb 8, 2013 12:51 PM

@purplepunisher
    Delusional, party of 1.

44. dukemarc says: Feb 8, 2013 12:53 PM

beardown2489 says:
    Feb 8, 2013 8:07 AM
    ——————

And how, exactly, is the Packers offense not set up for Finley to have success…….you have success when you catch the ball that’s thrown to you.

Oh and PowerMad get back on your Meds – the North is the Packers for the foreseeable future – we’ll let you know when you can have it back.

45. 1stngoal says: Feb 8, 2013 12:59 PM

Jermichael Finley is not coming back to Green Bay, The Packers are moving on. They have other talent on the roster waiting for their chance to shine (DJ Williams, Brandon Bostick) Green Bay is going to a more physical/run oriented style thus the need for more blocking ability from the TE position. And Green Bay has for years gotten more production from their 3 WR sets. With Jennings most likely leaving, Randall Cobb slides right in to the slot position and the Packers offense continues dominating without missing a beat.

The Packers don’t ‘rebuild’. They just reload. :-D

46. dukemarc says: Feb 8, 2013 12:59 PM

coachhowi says:
    Feb 8, 2013 10:29 AM
    ———————

No, he’ll never be a great leader and take his team to the Super Bowl, win it and be named the game’s MVP – all from the 6th seed in the NFC……no, he’ll never be able to accomplish that.

47. 1stngoal says: Feb 8, 2013 1:23 PM

dcviking says: Feb 8, 2013 10:10 AM

Thank Goodness, a level-headed Vikings fan. +1 to you my friend….

48. cornerblitz says: Feb 8, 2013 1:39 PM

philshady25 says:
    Feb 8, 2013 8:14 AM

=========================

Or the ones the hit you in the head! (e.g. Packers/Titans).

49. brewcrewfan54 says: Feb 8, 2013 2:13 PM

They shouldn’t give up on him. The major reason any Packer fans wanted him gone is because he said something negative about Rodgers. If Rodgers can get over it, which he obviously did after how many balls went Finley’s way in the playoffs the fans should to. He’s a good player and way to young to get rid of over a couple dumb comments.

50. 4gone says: Feb 8, 2013 2:25 PM

Can you imagine if he was signed by the Rams???
    ha. Between JMike and Titus I think Bradford would hang himself.

Imature Diva’s – shut up and play.

51. judsonjr says: Feb 8, 2013 2:56 PM

I don’t hate Finley as much as the average Packer fan, mainly because of the lack of a TE for so many years. I mean you had a a couple years of Jackie Harris and a year and a half of Keith Jackson as the only decent TEs. Other than that, it was an overrated dirtbag Chmura and Bubba “only useful inside the 10″ Franks. I guess Donald Lee was OK for a street FA.

I think part of the issue is that he is probably better suited for a 2WR run-first offense where he would be matched up with a safety or LB. When you are running 4 or 5 wide, he isn’t going to have a mismatch.

Additionally, he is a great guy to isolate 1:1 versus a CB at the goalline. They did this a fair amount in 2009, but not that much since then.

52. shaggytoodle says: Feb 8, 2013 2:57 PM

The guy is a mismatch against whomever lines up against him.

Unfortunately that’s where he is at his best. After the snap he will drop 2 passes a drive, but when he does convert a 1st. He feels compelled to get up and do a silly dance.

Then there is the mouth running and all the other things that I don’t care for.

I would love Finley to come back, if he did such as James Jones. More focused on the field and less drops. If Finley would do that and cut the talk. I would love him back in GB.

53. deltaoracle says: Feb 8, 2013 4:06 PM

Pretty simple – he’ll be in GB one more year; then he’s probably gone.
    “left with mediocre receivers…” that’s a joke, right? Jones had what – the second most td receptions in the conferance? Nelson just coming into his prime and Cobb already one of the most dangerous guys in the league. If you want to talk trash about the GB receivers you’d better be cheering for a ream that doesn’t “feature” Jerome Simpson.
    “The Vikings – where players leave if they ever want a chance at a ring.” – Matt Birk, Bryant McKinnie.

54. sdemp says: Feb 9, 2013 4:49 AM

Someone has to say it. . . Packer fans are stupid.

AND Rodgers is far from the best QB ever. . . QB rating is for fantasy football.

Rodgers is a product of todays NFL. . . Besides 1 lucky playoff run he has done absolutely nothing. Besides being the first QB to take a 15-1 team to the playoffs and not win a game.

Rodgers would rather thtow 5 TDs and lose than throw 3 INTs and win.

Jyst saying.

55. filthymcnasty1 says: Feb 9, 2013 9:58 AM

I think Finley wants to stay because the Packers have 13 championships – more than any other team in football.

56. fearthehoody says: Feb 9, 2013 11:27 PM

He drops more balls than a 1 armed juggler

57. packwillbeback says: Feb 10, 2013 8:40 AM

If I had $3 million riding on me remaining on a roster, I’d be saying the same things. Finley is frustrating to watch as a fan…too much show-boating and not much to show for it. Yet I’d support having him around for another year. I’d like to see this guy wake up and become a force on the field like Jones did this year. That’s what we’ve all been waiting to see.