Nick Florence, RG3’s successor at Baylor, not interested in the NFL

Nick Florence AP

Nick Florence followed in the footsteps of Robert Griffin III as the starting quarterback at Baylor, but he won’t be following Griffin to the NFL.

Florence, who has already graduated from Baylor and is now working on a master’s degree, told the Waco Tribune-Herald that after thinking about his options, he decided to put all his energy into finishing school and beginning a career.

I’ve decided to hang up my cleats and finish my master’s in December,” Florence said. “My wife and I have spent the last one and a half months talking about it, and it all came down to what we wanted in life, and it didn’t include playing football.”

The 6-foot-1, 205-pound Florence wasn’t considered a great pro prospect, but if he had a burning desire to play pro football he’d have a shot of catching on somewhere. Last season he passed for 4,309 yards and 33 touchdowns and ran for 568 yards and 10 touchdowns, and he says he believes he’s good enough to make an NFL roster. But he also says that while he loves football, that’s a part of his life he’s willing to put behind him.

“Oh yeah, I’m going to miss it,” Florence said. “I’ve been doing it my whole life. I don’t know whether I would have been drafted, but I have no doubt that I could have made a team. But I’ll look back and have a lot of great memories.”

Whatever Florence does in the future, we wish him well.

Permalink 27 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill, Washington Redskins
27 Responses to “Nick Florence, RG3’s successor at Baylor, not interested in the NFL”
  1. alecanthony says: Feb 8, 2013 11:52 AM

Then why did you even play college football? idiot.

Michael David Smith: Maybe because it’s a good way to have your college education paid for?

2. getyourownname says: Feb 8, 2013 11:57 AM

Back in the day, there were Heisman winners who decided not to play pro.

Not to be confused with Heisman winners who couldn’t play pro.

3. blacknole08 says: Feb 8, 2013 11:59 AM

I respect his decision. He seems to be a guy who actually gets it.

Football isn’t everything, and if his heart is not in it, do something else.

4. finsphan says: Feb 8, 2013 12:01 PM

*alecanthony*
    that may be the dumbest comment I’ve ever seen.

5. robertocfg says: Feb 8, 2013 12:02 PM

alecanthony says:
    Feb 8, 2013 11:52 AM
    Then why did you even play college football? idiot.

Because he likes it and is good at it, but maybe, just maaaaybe, he doesn’t want to make a living off it and wants to do other stuff in life?

6. rushmatic says: Feb 8, 2013 12:05 PM

MDS: I really, really, really wish you guys would give people the ability to respond DIRECTLY to a comment.

Would be really, really nice.

Michael David Smith: It’s a possibility. We’ve discussed some potential changes to commenting. Thanks for the feedback.

7. soobster says: Feb 8, 2013 12:08 PM

Good for him. Instead of toiling around as a journeyman trying to make the dream happen he’s just going to get out in front of it. No shame in doing a self assessment of his skillset and realizing there are more important things to him.

8. 3fingerlenny says: Feb 8, 2013 12:11 PM

What a loser mentality

9. contract says: Feb 8, 2013 12:16 PM

“Maybe because it’s a good way to have your college education paid for?”

It’s an even better way to build a nest egg and maybe even send your kids to college. More than likely he just figures that he’s not an NFL prospect.

10. flipola says: Feb 8, 2013 12:24 PM

Calvin Johnson didn’t want to either at first.

11. annes22 says: Feb 8, 2013 12:30 PM

Good for him working on a Masters Degree. At least he has some common sense and a brain. Plenty of them in the NFL are just plain dumb, and can’t string a sentence together when interviewed. He’s married, so between him and his wife this is the best for them Good Luck to him.

12. vikingdoode says: Feb 8, 2013 12:35 PM

good luck…. Honorable decision hope my son can be in this situation… 10 more years…

13. musicman495 says: Feb 8, 2013 12:43 PM

Maybe he also would prefer to be in one piece mentally and physically past 50.

Good for him to know himself, rather than have a team waste time and perhaps a draft pick choosing someone whose heart was really not in it.

14. oa316ts says: Feb 8, 2013 12:48 PM

MDS, I wish I could give you a digital Hi-5 for responding to the ridiculous first comment that came in. Nice work.

15. shovingbuddies says: Feb 8, 2013 12:51 PM

Takes guts to stop doing something you love because you know its the right thing to do. Lot of respect. Hope he does well

16. coltzfan166 says: Feb 8, 2013 12:52 PM

@ alecanthony

Maybe he had plans to go to the NFL when he first started at Baylor, but just later on decided it wasn’t for him. When you’re 19 years old, your priorities tend to change four years later.

17. beavertonsteve says: Feb 8, 2013 12:59 PM

I respect his decision, but I can’t help but think that being a 3rd string QB in the NFL might be one of the easiest ways to collect a few hundred thousand dollars before heading back to school. If his heart isn’t in it he’s probably making the right choice though.

18. keevel says: Feb 8, 2013 1:09 PM

Interesting that he specifically did not see his future self “playing” football.

Maybe he’ll go the Major Applewhite route and work his way through the coaching ranks, and he didn’t want to do the Doug Pederson thing first.

19. luniz7 says: Feb 8, 2013 1:26 PM

I’ve never understood why people pass up good opportunities in life. I would have loved to get the chance to even try to go pro. School will always be there. Hell you can get a master’s degree on your own time now days. I just don’t understand….

20. joebloww says: Feb 8, 2013 1:33 PM

We should be celebrating guys like Florence, not Ray Lewis.

21. neilanblomi says: Feb 8, 2013 1:34 PM

Stupid move…If he could make any NFL team he would be making 300k + to do whatever they ask of him. Good luck trying to make that in the real world. He could always get his masters and whatever career he thinks after not making or getting cut from the pros.

22. baywolfe says: Feb 8, 2013 1:37 PM

I’m astounded by the number of people on this board who don’t understand the concept of “student athletes”. How about “practically everybody that plays Division III Football”?

Football can be a means to an end. Many gifted people have played football that don’t love football.

23. hendawg21 says: Feb 8, 2013 1:57 PM

Well considering he wasn’t lighting up anyones draft board nor a good pro prospect I think the kid made the right choice…heck years from now he may be buying an NFL team…

24. borlandisbadgers says: Feb 8, 2013 4:57 PM

Man, I would atleast see if I could catch on to an NFL team. The minimum is what, $300K – ish? Unless he and his family is pretty set and they don’t need the money, I’d take that minimum for a year or two over going straight back to school.

25. db3300 says: Feb 8, 2013 6:29 PM

I sure hope it’s not a masters in Art History or anything ending in ‘Studies’.

26. matt4477 says: Feb 8, 2013 6:31 PM

He will riding the bench so safety isn’t a concern. The league minimum is 300 k or something.. Football won’t last forever but a career will always be there. Dummy

27. randomguy9999 says: Feb 15, 2013 2:09 PM

Then why did you even play college football? idiot.

I’ve never understood why people pass up good opportunities in life.

—————————————–

NFL football is a whole different animal than high school and college… much more long term health danger…. a lifestyle that is not for everyone…

also, some people have the belief that doing things that we love leads to a much happier life…

for a young adult to make a decision like that shows some major life maturity….

well done Florence!