Ravens would be interested in having Ray Lewis as a coach, but Ray isn’t

Ray Lewis Jr. AP

Throughout his career (and especially in recent years), Ravens linebacker Ray Lewis has operated essentially as an on-field coach.

Now that Lewis is retired as a player, the door is open as a coach.  Not surprisingly, Lewis isn’t interested.

“All of the guys that have played here come back often.  Talk to players, and they are always welcome,” Harbaugh said Thursday, via CSN Baltimore.com.  “Of course, Ray would be no less than that.  We have talked about it.  He knows he is always welcome.  He has not expressed an interest to coach.  I have asked him, and he is not interested.  But we have talked about it.”

Of course he’s not interested.  It’s long hours and low pay.  And it cuts against his desire to spend more time with his family, and also to get paid a lot more money for a lot less time at ESPN.

Ray also has said he wants to be an actor, which if he can make it to the “A” list pays a lot more than what he made for a full season of football.

Direct involvement in a football team has taken Ray Lewis as far as it ever will.  Unless and until other opportunities dry up, there’s no reason for him to coach — even though he’d likely be very good at it.

Permalink 93 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Baltimore Ravens, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
93 Responses to “Ravens would be interested in having Ray Lewis as a coach, but Ray isn’t”
  1. monkeyhateclean says: Feb 8, 2013 12:11 PM

Losing makes him all stabby.

2. attyken says: Feb 8, 2013 12:12 PM

The Ravens players would be scared to death…literally…if Lewis was a coach. Perform or I’ll stab you.

3. bradshawlives says: Feb 8, 2013 12:13 PM

It’ll be a full time job just making the rounds visiting all his kids.

4. sguy2130 says: Feb 8, 2013 12:13 PM

“even though he’d likely be very good at it.”

Well, if he’s half as good at coaching as he is at getting away with Double Murder, I’m sure he’d make an excellent coach.

5. howiefeltersnatch says: Feb 8, 2013 12:14 PM

I’ve always said, if this guy is such the inspirational gridiron warrior that he appears to be he wouldn’t have went to ESPN, he’d be on someone’s sideline coaching linebackers or something.

A murderer and a phony. But hey, let’s build a statue.

6. phileborn says: Feb 8, 2013 12:15 PM

Just retire already! So sick of hearing about this guy….did anyone see him play in the Superbowl? Awful

7. woodyg says: Feb 8, 2013 12:15 PM

Could see Lewis as the lead actor in murder/mystery movies. —-

8. gregstep says: Feb 8, 2013 12:16 PM

Ray will be successful in whatever he chooses to do. So much respect for him. He has helped and taught so many people in this world.

9. textexington says: Feb 8, 2013 12:16 PM

Most people would KILL to have that job.

10. sdfootballfan says: Feb 8, 2013 12:17 PM

He should at least take a stab at it.

11. 9ereddie says: Feb 8, 2013 12:17 PM

move on already, im tired of Harbaugh and im tired of Lewis!!!

12. chattanola says: Feb 8, 2013 12:18 PM

There’s no doubt that Ray could set a team on fire to get up for a game, but how would that play out, day after day when that same ferver turns into nothing more than white noise?

He can stir passion but can he actually improve a player from a technical standpoint. In other words, can he actually coach?

13. iced107 says: Feb 8, 2013 12:18 PM

They should remake “A Time to Kill.” I know who gets Samuel L, Jackson’s part….

14. chooko says: Feb 8, 2013 12:19 PM

To quote Jay Cutler: doooooooon’t caaaaaaare!

15. 1chilla says: Feb 8, 2013 12:20 PM

Maybe he can teach the proper way to use deer antler spray

16. h1ndrix says: Feb 8, 2013 12:20 PM

He wants to be an actor?

That phony is already one of the best actors I’ve seen. He can cry on demand.

17. ahostiletakeover says: Feb 8, 2013 12:21 PM

As a Ravens fan, God help us all if someone actually gives him a real acting role. For intentional comedy (ala the Pepsi Max commercial with Brees a few years ago or the Old Spice commercials) it is bearable, otherwise stick to ESPN Ray.

18. pryor4heisman says: Feb 8, 2013 12:22 PM

He doesn’t have time for coaching. He and OJ Simpson will be too busy looking for the “REAL KILLERS”

19. crownofthehelmet says: Feb 8, 2013 12:25 PM

Who’s he kidding, he’ll become a coach the minute his 5’9″, 190 lb son says, “Dad, I want to play in the NFL”. Package deal to make that happen.

20. reed20fence says: Feb 8, 2013 12:31 PM

Never has a man or team been so hated… And cared less.

21. southpaw2k says: Feb 8, 2013 12:31 PM

I always had hoped Ray would be a linebackers coach for the Ravens after he retired. Given his motives for retirement, I understand why he doesn’t want to coach right now. I hope he’ll reconsider in a few years after his son finishes school and moves on to the NFL.

22. areyoudue says: Feb 8, 2013 12:32 PM

Being a good player doesn’t necessarily make someone a good coach (i.e. Singletary)

23. zoellner25 says: Feb 8, 2013 12:33 PM

I get the long hours, but low pay? I’d take 200K a year to be a position coach. That’s only low pay compared to a star professional athlete.

24. divola52 says: Feb 8, 2013 12:38 PM

Can’t wait to see his statue. Go Ravens.

25. edgarpoe3 says: Feb 8, 2013 12:39 PM

pryor4heisman says:
    Feb 8, 2013 12:22 PM
    ———————————
    Hey Einstein:

FYI – the real killers are known already – have been for years. They were acquitted by reason of self-defense. Don’t believe it? Look up the court documents instead of making derogatory comments of something you know nothing about. I don’t blame you too much though. The media have been feeding you this garbage for years, expecting you to believe them without checking for yourself.

26. johnrobc says: Feb 8, 2013 12:44 PM

How many Ray Lewis articles can you squeeze out of YESTERDAY’s presser? Way to be on top of it.

27. radrntn says: Feb 8, 2013 12:45 PM

he was a player/ coach— now they have no one to fill those shoes.

28. bengalskuta82 says: Feb 8, 2013 12:47 PM

Wow! They are a lot of people out there that hate Ray Lewis…Just because you don’t have a great story to tell like Rays, doesn’t give u the right to talk bad about this man..Hmmmm, jealousy written all over your faces..Get a freakin life!

29. ravensallday2012 says: Feb 8, 2013 12:49 PM

Haters keep hating Best of all time 2 time champ

30. thestatsishere says: Feb 8, 2013 12:51 PM

I agree. I think Ray would love to contend for more championships, but being a coach isn’t really fun.

Tony Dungy said when he was coaching, he could tell you where he was for every minute of every day. Your life isn’t yours; it’s the job’s and for a guy who values family like Ray does, that’s NOT a life.

Me personally, I’d never be a coach. I’d always regret not being there for my kids and my wife.

31. justintuckrule says: Feb 8, 2013 12:51 PM

He’d make more than all those jobs combined if he parlayed his preaching gobblety gook into a weekend televangelist crook.

32. xxwhodatxx says: Feb 8, 2013 12:55 PM

He’s been “acting” as if nothing happend for years, perfect fit!

33. pgh15212 says: Feb 8, 2013 12:55 PM

Ray’s first acting job will be on Law and Order SVU. I think the case has to do with a stabbing.

34. traveye99 says: Feb 8, 2013 12:56 PM

Yes I am so jealous that I haven’t had the opportunity to cover up a double murder.

35. alecanthony says: Feb 8, 2013 12:59 PM

Cool another Ray Lewis story… Said no one ever

36. jerruhjones says: Feb 8, 2013 12:59 PM

Please…make it stop!

37. riggz91 says: Feb 8, 2013 1:02 PM

I don’t get the Lewis hate. I give him credit for doing anything and everything to get back on the field. Better the guys just collecting the check a la Jason Bay of my mets. And he got hit with obstruction of justice; what should he have done ratted out his friends. Always keep your mouth shut. I’m sure the guys that got killed were upstanding citizens.

38. ravenator says: Feb 8, 2013 1:13 PM

Ray Lewis dominates the headlines. Hate on haters. Guy is a 2x world champ.

39. briandorry55 says: Feb 8, 2013 1:19 PM

All this time I thought Ray Lewis was already an “A-list” actor…

40. cosmicduster says: Feb 8, 2013 1:19 PM

lol @ this dope acting.

41. harrisonhits2 says: Feb 8, 2013 1:20 PM

Yes Ravenator, he’s a 2 time world champ. Though he cheated this time with PEDs to heal of course.

His absolutely and totally fake religion, the murders, yeah there’s a lot to love there.

Lewis is a pig. Please Football Gods keep him out of coaching and off the air. Hopefully he’ll be one of those players broke 3-4 years after he’s out of the league.

42. clintread999 says: Feb 8, 2013 1:38 PM

Stop hating on this ego maniac please !

Now the storyline, factual history prior to making biased murder comments.

Morons everywhere!

43. jaggedmark says: Feb 8, 2013 1:41 PM

He’s not going to do that stupid front/stretch dance before each of his espn segments, is he?

44. zenrooster says: Feb 8, 2013 1:42 PM

6 kids with 4 women. I will take the over on 8 for a lifetime.

45. sdfootballfan says: Feb 8, 2013 1:43 PM

My comment was a bad joke and a test to see if it would be deleted. Nope, 140 thumbs up in under an hour. The hate is stronger than I imagined.

46. fafaflunky says: Feb 8, 2013 1:44 PM

he looks like urkel on roids..

47. bartlettruss says: Feb 8, 2013 1:46 PM

He should coach for the Falcons. I think he could make a real killing in Atlanta.

48. matthewcarlson1 says: Feb 8, 2013 1:46 PM

reed20fence says:
    Feb 8, 2013 12:31 PM
    Never has a man or team been so hated… And cared less.
    —————————————————-
    NO NO NO NO.. sorry to cut you off while you are stroking your ego, but nobody gives a rat’s arse about the Ravens. People hate Ray Lewis alone. Maybe Steelers fans hate the Ravens but they are rivals. Don’t kid yourself, now that Ray is gone nobody cares about your team at all.

49. caseyanthonymunoz says: Feb 8, 2013 1:49 PM

C’mon Ray, take a stab at it.

50. thegreatgabbert says: Feb 8, 2013 1:56 PM

Younger kids will have no idea who Ray Lewis was. But they will enjoy being frightened by the “Giant Stone Cave Bat” outside the football stadium.

51. mtntrouter says: Feb 8, 2013 1:58 PM

Ray Ray could start his movie career with a lead role in Scream IV. I could see him with a knife and one of those masks asking “What’s your favorite scary movie” or “I’ll gut you like a fish.”

52. jm91rs says: Feb 8, 2013 2:00 PM

To even comment that he could be an “A” list actor is a joke. No one will be able to see him as anything other than an over hyped football player the minute he appears on a screen.

53. dbones750 says: Feb 8, 2013 2:12 PM

What’s y’alls problem with Ray? He could be a great actor. He acts all the time like he didnt murder anyone that night.

54. EJ says: Feb 8, 2013 2:15 PM

zoellner25 says: Feb 8, 2013 12:33 PM

Low pay for Ray Lewis, considering he’d probably take home no less than 3 million a year at ESPN. Now for the regular Joe’s, 200k is a shipload of money. I’d do it.

55. wtfchiefs says: Feb 8, 2013 2:15 PM

I wouldn’t want to be on the set next to Ray Lewis when the director yells “CUT!”

56. yyyass says: Feb 8, 2013 2:23 PM

So Ray’s gonna take a stab at acting? I hope the first film is about 7 hours long so he can deliver his five lines.

57. overratedsteelerhater says: Feb 8, 2013 2:29 PM

MAN.all you haters keep saying the same
    crap over and over.let it go,you all wish
    he plated for you and you know it!!

58. aec4 says: Feb 8, 2013 2:30 PM

just think what a team could do for a star player going into his last contract.

They can make the contract 1/2 of what it would be and then when the player retires, let him be a position coach for 1 year at 10M.

59. letemplay says: Feb 8, 2013 2:32 PM

It’s a moot point because he wants to spend time watching RL3 play ball, but I don’t think he would make a great coach.

He would be a very good linebacker coach, but his personality wouldn’t let him settle for that. That’s the type of dude he is, he would push and push until he was a DC and then wouldn’t want to stop until he was a head coach. I think his talent would translate really well to a LB coach but he couldn’t stop, he would just keep going until he conquered the coaching world.

60. fuglyflorio says: Feb 8, 2013 2:39 PM

I heard he’d be willing to take a stab at it.

61. peytonsneck18 says: Feb 8, 2013 2:42 PM

cue the knife, murder comments, SMH let it go people!!!!

62. peytonsneck18 says: Feb 8, 2013 2:42 PM

darth71….well said brah

63. steelernator says: Feb 8, 2013 2:44 PM

Frankly, I think Ray would make a wonderful actor. He did a magnificent job playing the role of a turnstile during the Super Bowl! Either that or maybe he was playing a revolving door. Excellent performance!

64. JackAcid says: Feb 8, 2013 2:45 PM

He would be a terrible coach and mentor.

Murderer, cheater, delusional religious lunatic….yet Baltimore erects a statue for him. That tells me all I need to know about the city.

65. lolo376 says: Feb 8, 2013 2:45 PM

Best of all time? And only has 2 rings? As soon as he announced his retirement the NFL was going to do whatever possible to make sure he got his ring, just like they did for Jerome Bettis when he did the same announcement. Watch that Super Bowl and look at all the non called penalties!

66. footballfan58 says: Feb 8, 2013 2:46 PM

Love him or hate him, Ray Lewis will always have this black cloud hanging over his legacy.

67. mudhead123 says: Feb 8, 2013 2:54 PM

Ray Lewis… Such a garbage person and football is better with him gone

68. godofwine330 says: Feb 8, 2013 3:01 PM

He would make $200k for a ton of hours as a position coach. He could make at least that and likely more from ESPN plus not have to work all those hours. He has dedicated 21 years to football, which dominates your entire life, not just your day. He has the popularity, in spite of all the people claiming murderer, stab this or that, to make a ton of money and give his family the time they deserve.

Good for him.

69. Nofoolnodrool says: Feb 8, 2013 3:17 PM

Ray Lewis dominates the headlines. Hate on haters. Guy is a 2x world champ.

Yup two time chump and two time murderer how we state the obvious fan boy

70. draculalambert says: Feb 8, 2013 3:19 PM

He should be an actor and play the part of Aaron Nevel in a biopic…

71. thejuddstir says: Feb 8, 2013 3:20 PM

ravenator says:Feb 8, 2013 1:13 PM

Ray Lewis dominates the headlines. Hate on haters. Guy is a 2x world champ.
    ============================
    Lance Armstrong was a 7x Tour de’ France winner.
    ================================
    ===============================
    edgarpoe3 says:Feb 8, 2013 12:39 PM
    Hey Einstein:
    ============================
    Of course they were acquitted, as they should’ve been, because it was Ray who did committed the murder.

72. haterade999 says: Feb 8, 2013 3:20 PM

I assume most people commenting here didn’t pass high school… Or, at the very least rode the short bus.

73. haterade999 says: Feb 8, 2013 3:25 PM

matthewcarlson1 says:
    Feb 8, 2013 1:46 PM
    reed20fence says:
    Feb 8, 2013 12:31 PM
    Never has a man or team been so hated… And cared less.
    —————————————————-

———————————–

Then… Why are you here? Hahahahahahahah

74. haterade999 says: Feb 8, 2013 3:33 PM

I bet most of you still calling Lewis a murderer are the same people who claim the media is a joke.

Oh, the irony. The weakest scream the loudest.

75. Nofoolnodrool says: Feb 8, 2013 3:48 PM

haterade999 | Feb 8, 2013, 3:20 PM EST

I assume those who worship Ray Lewis have been swimming in the shallow end of the gene pool.

76. yousuxxors says: Feb 8, 2013 3:52 PM

give me the “evidence” the DA had against ray proving he did it. is it so hard to go get info yourself? a bunch of gangsters died that night anyway.

77. engymassx says: Feb 8, 2013 4:18 PM

Ray Lewis and Mike Tyson star in “Terminator 5-Mama Say Knock You Out”.

78. haterade999 says: Feb 8, 2013 4:22 PM

Nofoolnodrool says: Feb 8, 2013 3:48 PM

haterade999 | Feb 8, 2013, 3:20 PM EST

____________________________

Says the guy who comments on every single Lewis article. Yikes bro. Yikes.

79. bignugs says: Feb 8, 2013 4:36 PM

I don’t see him coaching but I do see Ray being just like Jim Brown but a lot more obnoxious. Picture it, just like Jesse Jackson, but in the NFL. This is gonna be a great next 15 years.

80. Nofoolnodrool says: Feb 8, 2013 5:07 PM

Says the guy who comments on every single Lewis article. Yikes bro. Yikes.

Can you blame me moron? Ripping on that clown and you bozos that wait to sniff his jock is so easy and so pathetic.. Glad he is so available for ridicule because a ton of people are having fun at your expense. No SB champs in recent memory have been subjected to this much crap but the ravens from…charm city… Can you say joke?..cheers and I raise you a yikes

81. orivar says: Feb 8, 2013 5:23 PM

I’m not even a Ravens fan (eagles and remember the beating that got Donovan benched) and I find the people who follow these Ray Lewis articles highly annoying. Either they’re ignorantly citing double murder showing they have no idea on the case besides googling”white suit” or they’re like the fool above me, attempting to justify following damn near every article on the man with some lame excuse with, “I’m not the only one who does it, you guys who snife his jock are pathetic.”

Because doing essentially the same with a different motive makes you so different from the ones you claim to be pathetic, right?

Irony.

82. timsizzle83 says: Feb 8, 2013 5:36 PM

For all you morons who say Ray cheated, deer antler spray, really?? Inf3 or whatever the banned substance in it is called cannot be used orally. It only works intravenously, repeat, only works intravenously. So if he sprayed it under his tounge as this guy claimed iit did nothing. Oh and besides that issue the retard who mentioned his name also mentioned that it was not even the same person. Once again the drooling-fool sounds like a “retard”. Get some new material dude, maybe jump on a new bandwagon and pick yourself a winner this time. Blah blah blah stab blah boah blah spray blah blah blah baltimore scum blah blah blah suck an egg.

83. haterade999 says: Feb 8, 2013 5:43 PM

Nofoolnodrool says:
    Feb 8, 2013 5:07 PM

______________________

Sorry, I had no clue your life was that miserable that you need to follow his articles and ridicule him to make yourself feel better. That’s really sad my friend.

Yeah, I can say joke. You’re the joke. Have a great weekend.

84. jnbnet says: Feb 8, 2013 6:16 PM

Funny how the NFL wants to start testing for HGH….and big ray decides to retire

85. Nofoolnodrool says: Feb 8, 2013 6:16 PM

Yeah, I can say joke. You’re the joke. Have a great weekend.
    You Lewis supporters(athletic) are so up tight. I don’t need to ridicule him to feel better seeing you mad because I comment makes my day. People in Baltimore just don’t get it…ray was a baller, a murderer, and and a hypocrite.. Your continued defense, worship and drooling over this creature is pathetic to most adult Americans. Please keep it up we are laughing at you morons

86. mlbbal52 says: Feb 8, 2013 6:25 PM

Nofoolnodrool jumps on every Raven post its so funny he is madd that the Ravens became a team in 96 and since 96 the Ravens have the same number of championships the Steelers do. He also disses baltimore for their love of Ray when his town worships Ben and we all know hes a saint right hes so perfect…get out of here troll…

Let me predict your comeback…”6 rings” for of which were won before your bandwagon self jumped aboard…pathetic!

87. timsizzle83 says: Feb 8, 2013 6:29 PM

The only place Rays legacy matters is here in Baltimore, where there is 0 (zero) tarnish on it. He is the face of the Ravens and will be revered by the everyman of Baltimore for as long as we have a team. Steelers fans seem to have forgotten your 2x super bowl champ qb face of your franchise is a double rapist. 49ers fans are murderers, Pats were caught cheating haven’t won squat since etc.. Do you think that these teams and players legacies are forever tarnished as well? If the answer is no, odds are you are a hometown fan of one of the afforementioned. National media can’t create a legacy, only ray can do that and create a legacy is exactly what he did

88. gonavybeatarmy says: Feb 8, 2013 6:51 PM

“…even though he’d likely be very good at it.”

Typical comment from a guilt-ridden member of the liberal media that’s based on no objective basis. Or perhaps Mike Florio is concerned what Ray Lewis may do do to him now that he has a little extra time on his hands. Mike, did you also believe and state the Mike Singletary would “be very good at it”? How about Matt Millen as a GM?

This stuff is not easy. And most very good players never transition well into coaching. Jim Harbaugh is the exception, although he was a mediocre pro player.

89. Nofoolnodrool says: Feb 8, 2013 7:00 PM

mlbbal52 | Feb 8, 2013, 6:25 PM EST

Dogs go mad it’s called rabies…raven fans lash out in rabid anger when their killer is called out. Pittsburgh will never put up a statue of one player we worship the team concept. Ben was a jerk, but no one died…Ray may not it have done but two people died… Glad I pissed you off because I made your small mind burn hard…

90. ravenseattheirownpoop says: Feb 8, 2013 7:09 PM

Great, he can teach them the art of murder.

91. mlbbal52 says: Feb 8, 2013 7:20 PM

Superbowl champs bro I aint mad I think your funny actually…@nofoolnodrool

92. Nofoolnodrool says: Feb 8, 2013 7:39 PM

Sorry skippy I have been a steeler fan longer than your sorry whinnie butt has been alive… And I have enjoyed every ring.. You have been allowed to watch one with the grown ups once….. Ssshhh children should be seen and not heard.

93. packersfansuck says: Feb 8, 2013 9:30 PM

Ray Lewis is overrated and what’s the deal with Ray and his owner hugging an kissing each other after winning the Super Bowl.