Aaron Rodgers sees himself staying in Green Bay as long as Favre

AT&T Pebble Beach National Pro-Am - Round Three Getty Images

Brett Favre spent 16 seasons in Green Bay before finally yielding to Aaron Rodgers. Now Rodgers could see himself staying in Green Bay for 16 seasons, too. Or maybe longer.

“I’ve had eight great years there, the last five as a starter,” Rodgers told the Green Bay Press-Gazette. “Hopefully I can give them another eight plus years of playing at a high level.”

If Rodgers plays eight more seasons, that would get him to 2020, when he’ll be 37 years old. If Rodgers stays healthy, that’s doable.

Of course, Rodgers will also need a new contract long before 2020 — he has two years left on his current deal. Rodgers said that will work itself out.

“We’ll see what happens with that, I’m not stressing about it,” Rodgers said. “I think the Packers would like me to be around for a few more years and I’d love to finish my career there.”

Rodgers might even finish his career having spent more years in Green Bay than Favre.

Permalink 32 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Green Bay Packers, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
32 Responses to “Aaron Rodgers sees himself staying in Green Bay as long as Favre”
  1. jersey73 says: Feb 10, 2013 7:47 AM

So in 8 years the New York Jets will finally have a QB?

2. wamj2008 says: Feb 10, 2013 7:49 AM

But hopefully without the “traded to the Jets, signing with the Vikings” crap.

3. gbpackersfan12 says: Feb 10, 2013 7:53 AM

I was 12 when Favre took over. It would be pretty sweet to say I’ve really only been through two QB’s at the age of 40, come 2020.

Go Pack.

4. icewalker946 says: Feb 10, 2013 7:57 AM

What other fan can say they have had only 2 starting QBs since 1992 (OK, 3 with Matt Flynn starting twice)?

Only Packer fans. This is amazing whoever you cheer for.

5. bartlettruss says: Feb 10, 2013 8:05 AM

They’ll need to learn to protect him if they want him there that long. And they’ll have to keep paying him extra to stay in the closet.

6. bartlettruss says: Feb 10, 2013 8:07 AM

Not that there’s anything wrong with that.

7. MichaelEdits says: Feb 10, 2013 8:15 AM

If Favre returned to the Jets, it would be an upgrade.

8. voiceofrealism says: Feb 10, 2013 8:22 AM

But if Rodgers wants to beat Favre on the number of times he threatened to retire, he should start now.

9. romospersonalsnuggie says: Feb 10, 2013 8:31 AM

When he’s done in green bay take his cell phone away

10. stairwayto7 says: Feb 10, 2013 8:34 AM

He will finish with as many championships as Favre….1!!!

11. csilojohnson says: Feb 10, 2013 8:57 AM

I don’t think anyone is concerned with Green Bays offense. Its the joke of a defense that wannabe Capers fields every year.

12. jhein23 says: Feb 10, 2013 9:01 AM

With the way they protect the QB nowadays its very doable. I think Favre’s streak/longevity was so impressive considering at least 10 years of it was when defensive players could drill the QB into the ground.

13. teal379 says: Feb 10, 2013 9:12 AM

If he maintained his level of play over the next 8 years, that puts him on track for

55,458 yards
    442 TD’s
    117 INT’s
    3,627 yards rushing

I think most any franchise would love to have that type of a QB play for their team.

14. smithopher says: Feb 10, 2013 9:18 AM

I like Aaron Rodgers, he is a class act. I also like how packers players want to retire packers… That shows what a quality organization they’re running up there. Im not a packers fan but I definitely don’t dislike them, either.

15. momsasaynt says: Feb 10, 2013 9:21 AM

Maybe it’s just me but it’s always All About beating Favre with this guy. He’s a superstar on his own let it go.

16. rtmus53 says: Feb 10, 2013 10:01 AM

stairwayto7 says: Feb 10, 2013 8:34 AM

He will finish with as many championships as Favre….1!!!

Stairwell….still whining over a 2 year old Super Bowl? Time to get over it and get on with your life’s work.

17. jimmysee says: Feb 10, 2013 10:04 AM

So that guy in the QB class of 2017 who might get drafted to succeed Rodgers is still playing high school football!

I suspect Ted Thompson has his eye on that guy now?!

:-)

18. conormacleod says: Feb 10, 2013 10:23 AM

He’s no different than anybody else. He will play with whatever team pays him. Right now, it’s the Packers.

19. myasylum11 says: Feb 10, 2013 10:32 AM

What people seem to forget is that Farve was a freak of nature. For Rogers to stay healthy that long, and play at that level would be another Green Bay miracle.

20. fallcoon says: Feb 10, 2013 11:28 AM

With that O- line. I don’t think so.

21. gnarlswoodson says: Feb 10, 2013 12:45 PM

stairwayto7 says:Feb 10, 2013 8:34 AM

He will finish with as many championships as Favre….1!!!

———————————————————

Not if by some miracle the Steelers make it back to the Super Bowl before 2020, then he’ll have 2. That stairway to 7 is starting to seem like it has no end, huh?

22. vincelombardisghost says: Feb 10, 2013 1:18 PM

A Rod’s stats thus far into his career compared to Favre’s is astoundingly better. He will become as beloved as Bart Starr should he continue to play at a high level and keep winning, which seems probable. Too bad Favre became so self absorbed and went on alienate half of Packerland. Favre could have been loved the rest of his life life just like Bart Starr had he not acted like a dickhead.

23. boothlustig says: Feb 10, 2013 2:10 PM

Favre coming back netted Thompson a NYJ 3rd round pick which he packaged for Clay Matthews. Why not think of that when comparing the way Driver left GB verses Favre?

Some day, Rex Ryan will look into the mirror and wonder, ‘Hey, what if we kept Favre in 2009 and not traded for Sanchez? Favre had a pretty good year in 2009. Nah, it was my coaching that did it anyway.’

24. tokyosandblaster says: Feb 10, 2013 3:28 PM

I wonder how many QBs the Vikings will go through in that time. 3? 4? 10?

25. lizgroban says: Feb 10, 2013 6:36 PM

He’s just going to get better! If he stays with the Packers for the next ten years they will be my team! Send Tebow to the Vikings!

26. stellarperformance says: Feb 10, 2013 7:44 PM

Rodgers is pretty laid back. He doesn’t let too many things get to him. That’s why he will be successful for as many years as he chooses….barring injuries. Packer fans are fortunate to have him. If you consider the selfish manner in which Favre left town, they deserve Rodgers. Otherwise, the atmosphere would be as negative as it was in Cleveland when LeBron took his ball and went home. There wasn’t anybody in the aftermath to help them forget what a turd LeBron was. Yep….thank God for Rodgers. Go Pack.

27. kev86 says: Feb 10, 2013 8:01 PM

Eli is the Giants Favre and already has two SBs so Big Blue is destined for great things. Thanks for setting bar GB. Lol.

28. andrewproughcfe says: Feb 10, 2013 9:36 PM

One of the things I like about Rogers is that he’s not acting like he has to do the fake iron-man thing like Favre. I hope he wins another title just to show all the Favre-loving-media that a player can actually HELP his team by taking a game off every once in awhile, and playing with a fresher set of legs and a refreshed arm.

Instead of – you know – getting into the playoffs and throwing 6 INTs to the Rams. Or being 1 minute from OT in the NFC title game and throwing an idiotic INT to the Saints. Or throwing 2 or 3 picks in the last few minutes of the game plus overtime to the Giants in the NFC championship (at home no less). Or — well you get the picture.

29. crownofthehelmet says: Feb 11, 2013 1:02 AM

Favre will always be better. Favre won his SB. Rodgers was on the sideline watching his D win his. Sure hope his teammates didn’t vote him a cut of the superbowl payout that year.

30. steelturf76 says: Feb 11, 2013 1:46 AM

I believe that he can easily play another 10-12 year’s, and all with the Packers, if a few things go right. First, and foremost, he needs to not worry so much about how much his contract is going to pay him annually so it can leave c ap space for the team to improve both the OL and defense as well as bring in a couple more offensive weapons for his usage. He will get money from endorsements and appearances so the contract could turn more into a team second, Aaron first deal and that is not the way he has to look at thongs. Another thing for him to keep in mind is that this is a team sport and that no matter how good (great) he is, there is still a need for 52 other players on the roster to get it done. He is magnificent but he can’t do it all by himself. One last factor, and this is a biggie: both himself AND the fans need to get completely past any and all Favre comparisons/references and let the kid play some ball. The worst thing for him is to always have that looming over hos head for the rest of his career . He is a bright, Super Bowl winning QB who needs to make his own mark on the game, not try living up, or down depending on how it all plays out, all because of how his predecessor ran things his way and double guessed every year for way too many years if he still wanted to play. Aaron Rodgers is a grown man who can make up his own mind and go out however he likes, and if he wants to retire a Packer then he will know when the time is right, not have people in his head trying to sway him either way until it’s too late.

31. cornerblitz says: Feb 11, 2013 2:10 PM

andrewproughcfe says: Feb 10, 2013 9:36 PM

==============================

Not to mention 4th and 26. Or rather what happened after that. It’s easy to hate Brett for how he left, acting like a child. Personally, I had no problem with him playing for another team, even the Vikes, but it was his childish behavior that didn’t sit well. I will say this, he was absolutely incredible at the QB position. Frustrating when he wasn’t “in the zone”, but truly great when he was. I recently watched the Raiders MNF game after his father died. (Man, football was great then, I think the NFL was just just about perfect in 2003.) I know that was a special night, but even those bombs into the end zone I wrote off as luck at the time, I’m telling you, he knew where to put the ball… Really love Brett, just wish he’d accepted his retirement as a Packer. Would be so much better for football and his legacy. Looks like things are settling though with Rodgers and Favre doing the Comeback Player of the Year presentation together. That was nice to see.

32. salsilva33 says: Feb 16, 2013 2:52 AM

I am a packer fan & have been for nearly 22 years. I seen both Favre & Rodgers play, which has been a blessing for the packers to have a good successor. We are very lucky to have both Brett & Aaron play QB for a team we all rout for. However, over the years I have seen many compare the 2 which upsets me. I don’t & never have compared the 2 packer Qb’s, but I will say it like this. Favre was the teacher, Rodgers was the student. I have to admit playing behind Favre and learning was the best thing to happen to Aaron. I take Brett slightly over Rodgers as far as the best QB. I agree Favre is the best strictly for his performance on the field. Most people in the world of sports are quick to say a person isn’t #1 just be quad he had some off the field issues. Now me I dont do that, I go by the book. I look for what the person accomplished on the field, not by what he did off the field.