Rob Ryan says he was “a little shocked” by Cowboys firing

Rob Ryan AP

There’s one very good reason to be relieved that new Saints defensive coordinator Rob Ryan doesn’t have a clause in his contract that keeps him from talking without permission — because he’s so good at it.

Ryan spoke with Calvin Watkins of ESPNDallas.com at last night’s Mavericks-Warriors game, and said he was “a little shocked,” he was the one offered up after the Cowboys’ disappointing 8-8 season.

“Better coaches, than me have been fired,” Ryan said. “Just not many.”

If the Ryan brothers did not exist, someone would need to invent them.

“I knew they had to do something after an 8-8 season. They choose me to be the guy, sure,” Ryan said. “Who knows what they’re going to do. I’m good with whatever. I’m going to miss the players, they gave me great effort and they played hard. It’s unfortunate we got a little banged up, but I appreciate the great effort they gave me for two years. [I] loved working with Jason [Garrett] and those guys. I wish them the best except against us.”

While opinions might be mixed on Ryan in New Orleans from a football standpoint, he’s never failed to be good theater, and in a town that loves a good time, he’ll fit right in on several levels.

Permalink 22 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Dallas Cowboys, Home, Rumor Mill
22 Responses to “Rob Ryan says he was “a little shocked” by Cowboys firing”
  1. bslice says: Feb 10, 2013 4:02 PM

He is an overrated, under-performing coach who lives off his fathers name. Lots of casual football fans think he defense causes confusion for the offense, when it actually confuses the defense instead. Take a look at the Cowboys last year….too many 10 and 12 men on the field and last minute confusion before the snap. Aslo, the DBs has less than 5 picks combined….im no scout, but when you have M Claiborne and B Carr, you would expect more ints from them.

2. thegreatgabbert says: Feb 10, 2013 4:02 PM

Better coaches than Rob have been fired. That’s why he keeps getting jobs.

3. larrydavid7000 says: Feb 10, 2013 4:21 PM

I was shocked as well was hoping to have him around for years to come. Then jerry dose the unthinkable and hires a 70 year old DC. Gonna miss you Ryan. NOT.!!!!!

4. salutethis says: Feb 10, 2013 4:25 PM

Rob Ryan talks too much and has not done enough as a coach yet.

5. 69finfan says: Feb 10, 2013 4:30 PM

I was shocked for “5 milliseconds” that he was fired from the Cowboys.

6. abninf says: Feb 10, 2013 4:30 PM

He acts like he’s actually had a top defense at some point in his career. But, no, he hasn’t. If it wasn’t for his “personality” most fans would have no clue who he was.

7. titosanoxy says: Feb 10, 2013 4:38 PM

Every season while Jerry is the GM they will flounder in mediocrity and people will take the fall for it because Jerry believes he has to make a change. Same poo different season/decade

8. arkadyrenko says: Feb 10, 2013 4:42 PM

If Rob Ryan were half as smart as he thinks he is he’d be a genius.

Here’s some advice for your next job, Rob: More “coordinating the defense” and less “running your mouth.”

9. vmannj says: Feb 10, 2013 5:06 PM

If you want a reason Rob got fired, just look within the division:

Swept by the Redskins. 38 pts allowed in the first game. Over 200 rushing yards allowed (when RG3 had a torn knee) in the second game.

Split with the Giants. Gave up 46 points in those two games.

Swept the Eagles, but still gave up 56 points in two games.

In Dallas’s best offensive game of the season (vs. New Orleans) they had 400+ yards of offense and only one turnover. Why did they STILL lose? Because they gave up over 500 yards, didn’t create a single turnover (against the QB that led the league in INTs), and they couldn’t get off the field (42:00 time of possession for the Saints).

Near the bottom of the league in turnovers. Middle of the pack, at best, at getting sacks. As someone above said, when he came to Dallas, he talked all this game about creating confusion. The only players that were confused, were the ones he was coaching.

Should have listened to all the Raiders and Browns fans that kept saying this guy was nothing more than an over-rated tool. They were right.

10. thebadguyswon says: Feb 10, 2013 5:35 PM

Very happy Dallas douched themselves of this clown.

11. exibitsman says: Feb 10, 2013 5:39 PM

Rob Ryan is a excellent DC the saints are going to have a great defense in 2013

12. gammynomnom says: Feb 10, 2013 5:45 PM

I was shocked too. Jerry Jones usually clings to crappy coaches.

13. lrical says: Feb 10, 2013 6:19 PM

Time for my boys to shine now that the clouds have passed. Big D!!!

14. rajbais says: Feb 10, 2013 6:23 PM

I would believe you if your name was Tony Romo or Jason Garrett.

15. TheWizard says: Feb 10, 2013 6:37 PM

Thought their dad was pretty cool back in the day, once I got over SB 20.

The kids, I’m sick of the both of them. I don’t think they’re ever going to grow on me.

16. fuglyflorio says: Feb 10, 2013 6:46 PM

He was the only one surprised.

17. dallascowboysdishingthereal says: Feb 10, 2013 7:56 PM

The biggest problem was that his defense failed to come up with turnovers. Even his pal Garrett pointed that out.

His mouth is out of control and it cost the Cowboys a 15 yard unsportsmanlike penalty against the Bengals last season. Ryan wasn’t jawing a ref but a player for the Bengals.

18. sfsaintsfan says: Feb 10, 2013 9:34 PM

“The Cowboys finished 19th in the league in defense, either despite or because of a rash of injuries to key players.”

In 2009, the Saints Defense finished 25th in the league in total defense and the team won a Super Bowl. I think if the Saints Defense can get to 19th in the NFL in 2013, the team can win another Super Bowl.

Last I checked, 19th was better than 25th.

19. badintent says: Feb 10, 2013 11:50 PM

Rob got fired cause he out Hype the master of Hype, the one and only Jerry Jones.When and if the NFL puts a team in LA , Cowgirls got to be sent there. Jerry ‘s BS will fit hand in glove with the Hollywood BS.
    Memo to Ware: you get paid to take on pulling guards to tackle running backs too, not just QBs.

20. kmartin173 says: Feb 11, 2013 9:02 AM

The only thing that surprised me is that Garrett and Romo weren’t gone first.

21. geraldthecat says: Feb 11, 2013 9:46 AM

Do you people ever watch the games. Ryan is a good coach. 8-8 teams have to make changes. It’s that simple.

22. dprofane says: Feb 11, 2013 12:04 PM

Memo to badintent: Your an idiot for trying to call out a future hall of famer. It was obvious Ware was banged up last year towards the end. A healthy Ware has defended the run and pass equally over his career.