Police officer testifies Alfonzo Dennard punched him in the jaw

Alfonzo Dennard AP

Patriots cornerback Alfonzo Dennard is currently on trial for a felony charge of third-degree assault on a police officer, and the officer in question testified today that Dennard punched him in the jaw and caused him a significant amount of pain.

Lincoln, Nebraska, Police Officer Benjamin Kopsa testified that in April of last year he was in the process of arresting Dennard for getting into a fight with another man when Dennard began to get physical. At first, when Kopsa tried to handcuff Dennard, Dennard used one hand to push him away. Then, when Kopsa continued trying, Dennard used both hands to push him away. Finally, as Kopsa continued to handcuff Dennard, Dennard punched him in the jaw.

I realized I had my hands full — and there was nobody else with me,” Kopsa said, via the Omaha World Herald.

“Did it hurt?” asked prosecutor Matt Acton.

“Yes,” Kopsa said. “On a scale of one to 10, it felt like an eight.”

Kopsa added that the punch felt “like a very hard object hitting me in the jaw.”

If Dennard is convicted of third-degree assault on an officer he could be sentenced to up to five years in prison. He is also facing misdemeanor counts of assault and resisting arrest, which each come with a sentence of up to one year in prison.

Permalink 59 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: New England Patriots, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
59 Responses to “Police officer testifies Alfonzo Dennard punched him in the jaw”
  1. catquick says: Feb 12, 2013 3:16 PM

No class. Lock him up. I wouldn’t even think of doing something like that

2. blackandbluedivision says: Feb 12, 2013 3:17 PM

3. grumpyoleman says: Feb 12, 2013 3:25 PM

Why was some DB that assaulted a cop last April not sitting in jail instead of playing football last fall?

4. purnellmeagrejr says: Feb 12, 2013 3:31 PM

gotta control your temper folks.

5. mrphelps01 says: Feb 12, 2013 3:36 PM

Ummmm…grumpyoleman, haven’t you ever heard of the U.S. Constitution? Because people are considered innocent until proven guilty, we don’t put people in prison while they await trial.

6. briscocountyjr says: Feb 12, 2013 3:36 PM

Cops get punched sometimes, why is he whining?

7. randallflagg52 says: Feb 12, 2013 3:39 PM

Dennard is a moron. This guy was a fringe first rounder, guaranteed second rounder, and he punches a cop right before the NFL draft.

Regardless if he’s found guilty or not, to put yourself in that situation days before the biggest day of your life shows a total lack of judgement. Hope the patriots enjoyed their one season out of this clown.

8. mjkelly77 says: Feb 12, 2013 3:40 PM

So much for Dennard’s defenders last year talking about how the redneck cops were picking on him because he’s black. The last time I was in Lincoln on business had to be over 2o years ago. There were two adjacent bars, one a C&W place and the other for college kids. I was with the owner’s daughter and we hit both sides. I learned the Texas two step on one side and on the side I’ll always remember the no hassle inter-racial dancing and mingling. Not a single incident of trouble. That’s why I originally questioned Dennard’s claims of harrassment. When the man says move along, you move along. Nothin’ personal.

9. CKL says: Feb 12, 2013 3:40 PM

@grumpyole,

His trial got postponed. Frankly, even though he plays for my favorite team, I am sick of trials getting postponed all the time. Was just watching a show the other night where a guy up for murder sat for FOUR YEARS before his trial. Insanity.

Sure doesn’t sound good. Was thinking maybe the guy was off duty and not in uniform or something so Dennard didn’tknow it was a police officer but I doubt that highly if he was handcuffing him. Don’t think off duty guys carry thier handcuffs. Maybe I’m wrong. He’s been a good citizen for th ePats, but if he did do this, he’s gotta pay.

10. rc33 says: Feb 12, 2013 3:42 PM

Not the first moron jock to have a dust up with a cop. Depending on any priors, his attn’y will plead it down and he’ll pay some fines and court costs.
    Best of my knowledge he’s been on good behavior since, which is a consideration.

11. patriotenvy says: Feb 12, 2013 3:43 PM

Really Sounds like the cop said he didn’t do his job properly. No back up and he lost control of the situation. Doesn’t sound good for either of them.

12. mattym069 says: Feb 12, 2013 3:45 PM

Hey didn’t have a gun or a taser on him because the police officer was off duty in plain clothes.

13. insertcrypticnameher says: Feb 12, 2013 3:46 PM

I look forward to hearing Ravens fans thoughts on the matter

14. johnnyhambone says: Feb 12, 2013 3:46 PM

15. noring4youstill says: Feb 12, 2013 3:48 PM

Well did he identify himself as a officer before trying to handcuff?

16. uvmcatamounts says: Feb 12, 2013 3:48 PM

Man. I’ve been in the hospital for serious injuries before (broken bones, deep lacerations, etc) and NEVER have I said that my pain was above a 7 out of 10. This cop is a wuss.

17. Patskrieg dot com says: Feb 12, 2013 3:48 PM

Cops are trained for these types of situations. Aren’t they? I’ve seen singular police officers restrain and defuse bigger and crazier people than Alfonzo Dennard. At the same time I’ve seen cops use tazers, mace, and draw guns for a whole lot less than forcibly resisting arrest.

It hurt? I’ll bet it did, moron. Great police work.

18. buddysguys says: Feb 12, 2013 3:54 PM

next we’ll hear the Pats cheated……oh wait.

19. Ridley Me This says: Feb 12, 2013 3:54 PM

I agree with catquick, there’s only one side to every story so making a snap judgement about something we have almost no knowledge on is the right response.

20. myeaglescantwin says: Feb 12, 2013 3:55 PM

for the life of me, i can’t understand why these millionaire athletes don’t take their money and flee the country when facing jailtime.

You have millions upon millions. you are not wanted for murder interpol will not extrodite..
    Plaxico burress,, going to prison for having a handgun.. not even shooting the handgun, but having it in NYC..

Take the 20 mil you have saved and take off!
    I’d be on an island with all my guns lighting cigars with $20′s

21. thegenoatkinsdiet says: Feb 12, 2013 3:57 PM

Those crazy Bengals… oh, wait…

22. alecanthony says: Feb 12, 2013 3:58 PM

I heard the Lions now have a high interest in obtaining Alfonzo Dennard now

23. cibolomatt says: Feb 12, 2013 4:00 PM

@ Patskrieg dot com are you serious?? Officer gets punched in the face and it’s his fault? Maybe if Denard wasn’t out acting a fool this wouldnt of happened. I wish he would of punched Bolden, that would be asking to much right??

24. bullcharger says: Feb 12, 2013 4:04 PM

The Patriots drafted him even though this situation was hanging over him. They could have passed him over. There’s probably already community service lined up.

25. bullcharger says: Feb 12, 2013 4:07 PM

Take the 20 mil you have saved and take off!
    I’d be on an island with all my guns lighting cigars with $20′s

——————

You can’t just put your millions in small bills and leave the country. It’s not like it’s all just sitting in a bank account.

26. jwreck says: Feb 12, 2013 4:11 PM

I, and a lot of other people, were pissed when my team passed up this guy, presumably for character concerns, and then he turned in a pretty good season for the Pats. Not as upset anymore, good call GMs.

And as to the “you have a gun and/or taser. Why are you complaining about someone assaulting you?” comment: cops have very strict regulations about exactly where, when, and in what circumstances they can draw, point, and, most importantly, use a gun, taser, or even their fists. While any of above result in piles of paperwork for the officer, breaking any of these rules can result in fines, unpaid vacations, and termination. So yeah…

27. yssupasigninnamnotyep says: Feb 12, 2013 4:12 PM

Yeah right, we all know pro athletes usually get a slap on the wrist…there will be no jail time.

28. bullcharger says: Feb 12, 2013 4:13 PM

johnnyhambone says:Feb 12, 2013 3:46 PM

—————

good enough to get to the Super Bowl last year and get to the AFCCG this year. Last year the Patriots allowed only 17 a game on average in the Playoffs. This year 28, but they still won a playoff game.

Much better than Bart Scott’s team for a few years.

29. howiehandles says: Feb 12, 2013 4:19 PM

“Dude you have a gun and/or taser. Why are you complaining about someone assaulting you?”

Contrary to what you’ve been led to believe, cops (honest ones) can’t just shoot a guy for punching him. Not all carry tasers either. They actually have to get certified, and the department has to make them available.

30. bearfan1957 says: Feb 12, 2013 4:26 PM

briscocountyjr says:
    Feb 12, 2013 3:36 PM
    Cops get punched sometimes, why is he whining?

31. azarkhan says: Feb 12, 2013 4:27 PM

buddysguys says: He is a Patriot though??? Thought they were the class of the NFL??? Hows Bobby Kraft handling this? He lets his players beat up cops?

Hey stupid, Dennard did this in college, not as a Patriot.

32. mike5011ad says: Feb 12, 2013 4:28 PM

Why are people say he’s whining? These statements were taken from his examination on the witness stand for Dennard’s trial for third degree assault. One of the questions they have to ask anyone who is assaulted is if the punch or kick hurt. Bottom line, if you punch or kick a cop, you are going to go to trial…

33. tim8450 says: Feb 12, 2013 4:30 PM

“As bart scott said the patriots defense can’t even stop a nose bleed.”

says the player whose team was 0-2 to the patriots and gave up 78 points in two games. What does that make Bart Scott’s defense?

34. jwreck says: Feb 12, 2013 4:31 PM

howiehandles says: Feb 12, 2013 4:19 PM
    cops (honest ones) can’t just shoot a guy for punching him.
    _________
    Cops, period. If a cop shoots someone who isn’t directly threatening the someone’s life with a deadly weapon, it’s murder; and he’ll be tried just like jagoff he was trying to stop. I’m all for civil liberties, but at a certain point cops will no longer be able to protect us from criminals.

35. danno1212 says: Feb 12, 2013 4:42 PM

mrphelps01 says:
    Feb 12, 2013 3:36 PM

————————————————————-
    If you can’t post bail they do!

36. lwstarr says: Feb 12, 2013 4:49 PM

myeaglescantwin says:Feb 12, 2013 3:55 PM

Take the 20 mil you have saved and take off!
    I’d be on an island with all my guns lighting cigars with $20′s
    ——————————————————
    Dennard was a 7th rd pick. Where are you getting millions upon millions?

37. patriotenvy says: Feb 12, 2013 4:53 PM

That is why he should have called for uniformed cops and waited for back up.

38. trollaikman8 says: Feb 12, 2013 5:11 PM

If you’re not a uniformed cop, expect a dust up and expect to be on the receiving end of a fist.

39. cmdrsmooth says: Feb 12, 2013 5:12 PM

Wow…now how can a team on the classiest team have a circus clown on their team. Can u imagine if this guy was a Jet? It would have all been Woody and Rex’s fault.

40. ampats says: Feb 12, 2013 5:14 PM

The Patriots were aware of this before the draft and I’m sure they did their homework like most of the comments posted here.

Dennard has no history of anything in his past, don’t know what happened but he made a dumb mistake.

Dennard will get community service,cost himself alot of $$ and the Patriots get a 7th round steal who became a starter his rookie season !

41. thejohnsmith1122 says: Feb 12, 2013 5:21 PM

So someone can go to jail for up to 5 years for punching an officer but when an officer uncesscesarily uses lethal force they get put on PAID administrative leave until it’s resolved. And chances are, if the officer was guilty in any respect, he’ll just be forced to resign. Sounds fair right?

I’m not saying all cops are like that, but sometimes cops need to police each other first before policing the public. Don’t get me wrong, I have the utmost respect for the honest ones, just not the ones who demand respect because they wear a badge.

42. whatjusthapped says: Feb 12, 2013 5:22 PM

He’s a Patriot, right? I can’t believe they don’t have any video tape on the incident, they seem to tape everything else.

43. monsterscream says: Feb 12, 2013 5:25 PM

The Patriot Way!!!

44. harrisonhits2 says: Feb 12, 2013 5:46 PM

“johnnyhambone says:
    Feb 12, 2013 3:46 PM
    lets see if the so called genius belichick cuts dennard. belichick the so called defensive guru with all those high draft choices still can’t coach and field a good defense. As bart scott said the patriots defense can’t even stop a nose bleed.”

Another person commenting on the Pats who doesn’t know what he’s talking about.

The Pats were 9th in the league in scoring defense last year, the only defensive stat that really matters. Yes they were much higher in total yards, passing yds and rushing yds given up, but for all that they didn’t give up a lot of points.

That’s a classic Belichick defense by the way, bend don’t break. The Pats have won a lot of games over the years, including 12 last year and I think 13 the year before.

Meanwhile Bart Scot is cut I believe and possibly out of the game. So enjoy the quotes of a loser while the Pats keep winning.

45. briscocountyjr says: Feb 12, 2013 6:00 PM

Belicheat launching spygateIII soon? Just curious.

46. jibzek says: Feb 12, 2013 6:02 PM

The Patriots spent a 7th round draft choice on this guy. He ended up being a starting corner. While he is a good player, the knew he had issues over his head and that’s why he dropped in the draft.

If his attorney is any good, he’ll be on the field next season.

47. briscocountyjr says: Feb 12, 2013 6:13 PM

“bearfan1957 says:
    Feb 12, 2013 4:26 PM
    briscocountyjr says:
    Feb 12, 2013 3:36 PM
    Cops get punched sometimes, why is he whining?

He was testifying in court about what happened Whining? try being a police officer, with what we get paid to do. Sounds like the officer was doing what he is getting paid to do, deal with asses. Denard was lucky that he wasn’t sprayed or tazed.”

If he were more professional he wouldn’t have tried to be the Rock and go action movie on him by himself. There’s other ways. Now he’s sitting on the stand saying “this boo-boo hurts reawy, reawy bad right here!”

48. Pimpin' aint easy unless you are Chuck Norris says: Feb 12, 2013 6:51 PM

Randy Moss hit a cop with his car, and didnt serve jail time, why would this dude have to serve time in prison? Just saying

49. marcuswelby1 says: Feb 12, 2013 7:28 PM

johnnyhambone says:
    Feb 12, 2013 3:46 PM
    —————————————————–

And what can Bart Scott stop?

50. marima07 says: Feb 12, 2013 8:52 PM

mjkelly77 testifies that the police in Lincoln never harrass anyone based on the fact that he was there on business twenty years ago and had no problems.

Really?

I hope the witnesses at the trial area more credible than this.

51. stataddict says: Feb 12, 2013 8:52 PM

Something similar happened during the Super Bowl. Didn’t even draw a flag….

52. raiderapologist says: Feb 12, 2013 9:02 PM

Many years ago when I was very young and very drunk I took a swing at a cop. I missed badly, and he popped me in the solar plexus with the butt end of one of those big D-cell Maglites. Lesson learned.

53. mazblast says: Feb 12, 2013 9:10 PM

As much as I loathe the Patriots, this really has nothing to do with them.

54. macfunden says: Feb 12, 2013 10:13 PM

The missing part of the testimony…Officer was undercover and Dennard didn’t know who was trying to hold him and handcuff him.

55. mackcarrington says: Feb 12, 2013 10:14 PM

@ Pimpin aint easy…. Randy Moss did not “hit” a”cop”. It was a traffic control officer… basically a “meter maid”. And from what I recall of the video… he simply pushed that person back while they were pushing on the hood of his car. Didn’t exactly “run her over”. And as for Dennard… he was probably a liquored-up college BMOC jock who acted like most drunk college jerks do when they have a few. If the guy was a straight-up criminal, the Pats probably would not have drafted him. Gotta love all of the self-righteous, sanctimonious people on here who never had a little too much beer at a football game and verbally attacked fans of other teams.

56. joetoronto says: Feb 13, 2013 5:20 AM

The moment he gets convicted, Mike Brown will be on the phone with him to make him a Bengal.

57. pftwstbshmc says: Feb 13, 2013 6:50 AM

If I remember the original story correctly, the cop was off duty and in plain clothes.

So did he identify himself as a cop?

If not, I know for a fact that if someone was trying to put cuffs on me without saying anything a punch in the face would have just been the start of a beat down.

58. gimmeabruschi says: Feb 13, 2013 11:15 AM

I’m a cop and you’re all under arrest. Sorry I’m not in uniform or showing ID. Just trust me and submit as I attack you.

59. bikelikemike says: Feb 14, 2013 11:20 AM

What a bunch of girly-men! Gossiping like they’ve just heard the latest rumor on “The Young and the Breast-less” or “As The Stomach Turns”. What I love is the unwitting admittance of the majority of you fairies that you’re effin stupid. Making assumptions, and then making believe that you can go forward, standing on that “evidence”.. is the epitome of dumbassness. Because I never base anything on speculation and then call it concrete, I’m miles and miles ahead of the typical idiot. This alone makes me an advanced idiot. And from my studies here of most of you dufuses I definitely deserve a degree in idiocy. At least an associate’s per my association with so many dimwits.