Ravens waiting on second opinion on Suggs

Baltimore Ravens Victory Parade Getty Images

With a number of big contract decisions looming, the Ravens have medical concerns as well.

According to Jeff Zrebiec of the Baltimore Sun, the team is waiting to hear back on a second opinion outside linebacker Terrell Suggs sought for his torn biceps.

If Suggs needs surgery to repair his right arm, it would mark his second straight offseason spent rehabbing, after last year’s partially torn Achilles.

Suggs suffered the injury on Dec. 2, missing one game, but wasn’t much of a factor until the playoffs started.

Of course, the bigger question is how Suggs fits into the long-term picture for the Ravens.

A 30-year-old pass rusher with a $13 million salary cap number coming off another injury has led some to wonder whether the Ravens are ready to move on without him, at a time when they’re trying to get a deal with quarterback Joe Flacco, along with younger defensive free agents such as Paul Kruger, Dannell Ellerbe and Cary Williams.

Permalink 24 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Baltimore Ravens, Home, Rumor Mill
24 Responses to “Ravens waiting on second opinion on Suggs”
  1. ingraven says: Feb 12, 2013 8:54 AM

Oh boy, say it aint so!!

2. tannethrill says: Feb 12, 2013 9:00 AM

Tough call for Ozzie. I’m really curious to see how he handles this.

I think based on the cap situation that I would move on from the vets 30+, sign the youth, franchise Flacco and start drafting around them. I’m convinced Ngata is the key to their defensive success.

3. bullybirds says: Feb 12, 2013 9:10 AM

I’m telling you as a Ravens fan, that 13 million needs to come off the books in an effort to remain competitive. He may not want to go elsewhere either so I could see him being cut and resigned to a lower cap #.

In Oz we trust Baltimore.

4. tomtravis76 says: Feb 12, 2013 9:14 AM

Re-structure his deal and give Sizzle an opportunity to get it done next season.

5. kantnockdahustle89 says: Feb 12, 2013 9:19 AM

Suggs is no doubt a game changer when healthy. I mean it was just the year before he was DPOY. He was finally getting healthier during the playoffs and you could see he was improving. I think him improving his achilles is key. The bicep I think is way less of a factor.

And like others said…will be interesting to see what they do because there is no doubt he has plenty left in the tank and can make a big difference. Just not sure if its 13 million dollars worth at the moment.

6. bullybirds says: Feb 12, 2013 9:25 AM

Ozzie said that restructure will be a last resort only. They do not want to get into the 2001 cap purge that the Steelers are about to experience. At somepoint, you have to draft well and let older players move on to stay competitive.

7. bigbenownsthenfl says: Feb 12, 2013 9:44 AM

I’m loving the panic and chaos surrounding this team! That said the rivalry ain’t what it used to be with the Steelers. No Hines ward, farrior, Aaron Smith. No ray lewis, ed reed and prob suggs. It all is kind of depressing actually.. how both teams fans long for the days! Sigh!

8. jebbiesmallz says: Feb 12, 2013 10:02 AM

What is the actual source for the “cut Suggs” info? The link here is to another PFT article that itself is only conjecture without any external links.

9. YouMadCauseImStylingOnYou says: Feb 12, 2013 10:22 AM

Kruger was mediocre at best without Suggs on the field, was dominant with Suggs there. No way do they dump Suggs to keep Kruger.

No one in Baltimore will shed a tear when Cary Williams leaves, thats for sure.

10. iamedreed says: Feb 12, 2013 12:24 PM

i bet my life suggs is a raven next year, when healthy hes the best player on defense

he will get resigned to a longer term deal to lower his cap number

11. thestatsishere says: Feb 12, 2013 1:28 PM

I would not get rid of Suggs. He wants to be a Raven, he’s arguably a future Hall of Famer, and he’s worked his tail off for them.

I say re-structure his contract significantly, but he shouldn’t be given the “it’s just business” waiver. He’s been too important in my opinion.

12. thestatsishere says: Feb 12, 2013 1:32 PM

And if you can’t re-structure the contract, ask him for a possible paycut. Explain the scenario to him and find an advertising company that can use him as a spokesperson to make up the difference. The worst he can say is no.

13. guitarkevin says: Feb 12, 2013 2:18 PM

Flacco, Pitta and Ed Reed are my biggest concerns as far as FAs are go. Ellerbe, yeah, he played well, but he is not a world beater LB. Kruger has been average his whole career and only stood out on a defense that wasriddled with injuries. Cary Williams needs to go, I just don’t care for his attitude. Whether you have to restructure a few contracts along the way is up to Ozzie. The 2 biggest would be Suggs (since this article brought him up) and Boldin.

14. randallflagg52 says: Feb 12, 2013 3:30 PM

No one in Baltimore would miss Cary Williams or Paul Kruger. We appreciate what they did to lead up to our World Championship, but they were very underwhelming their entire career. With Upshaw in the wings and Lardarius Webb (the best corner in the NFL in 2011) coming back these two are expendable.

Ellerbe and Pitta are the two that I think the Ravens need back. Ellerbe has always been talented but spent a lot of time in Harbaugh’s dog house (remember the showboating on that defensive TD a couple of years ago in the preseason?) and Pitta is just a beast. Pitta is in the top 5 in the entire NFL for best hands, gotta have him back.

15. ravenator says: Feb 12, 2013 3:44 PM

Love the Steeler fans saying Ravens are panicking. I can assure you that is not the case and In Oz We Trust. Ravens will be back competing for a Lombardi, again.

16. Nofoolnodrool says: Feb 12, 2013 5:04 PM

Thank god we got fan boys assurance that The wizard of Oz has things in hand……now I can sleep tonight.

Oh buy the way the ravens will be just like every other team at the beginning of the season competing for the Lombardi …truly profound..did you think they were playing for rays statue?

17. skeebo80 says: Feb 12, 2013 7:57 PM

Ravens def won’t be back next year

18. ravensrule52 says: Feb 12, 2013 9:27 PM

if u really think the ravens would ever consider cutting suggs your out of your mind..

19. crownofthehelmet says: Feb 12, 2013 10:35 PM

Here’s a second opinion – he sucks and is overrated. They’d be smart to dump gummy.

20. scoobies05 says: Feb 12, 2013 10:56 PM

wouldnt be a ravens article without seeing posts from nofool and crown. their concern over our world champs is touching. they know their beloved steelers have no shot against the ravens so they pray for the team to get broken up. two quick things nofool….ozzie has a history of doing great work with the cap. but i guess history only matters when you talk about the steelers. and we all know your obsession with ray…maybe try to go one post without commenting on him. then it wont be so obvious. go ravens

21. Nofoolnodrool says: Feb 13, 2013 6:56 AM

I would suggest your obsession with defending a murderer is pathetic and I am not alone in that assessment when nearly three post commenting on Rays statue.

Obviously Ozie the wizard of Oz has done a good job, but he is portrayed as walking on water.

I guess one can quickly get tired of everything Raven is perfect,just,and honorable. The refs are always against and I could go on….
    Everything another team has done or is doing well can’t compare to what emanates from charm city.
    Scoobie getting the picture….you won the Super Bowl, but you are still the Baltimore everyone knows….you can’t put lipstick on a pig and make it anything but a pig.

22. scoobies05 says: Feb 13, 2013 1:24 PM

and furthermore you dont think football fans are tired about hearing of the proud history of the steelers. no doubt for the last 35 years the steelers have had a great history. but what about the previous 40 years of ineptitude. you have 6 rings…great achievement. but the packers have i believe 13 nfl titles. doesnt that make them the true kings of nfl history? and baltimore has 5 nfl titles to its credit. we are a proud city of great fans and great history too.

23. cfeeley52 says: Feb 14, 2013 5:53 PM

Nofoolnodrool says:
    Feb 13, 2013 6:56 AM

I’m fairly new to this site, but i must say i’m impressed by nofool’s patronage of the ravens organization. I guess one really can quickly get tired of everything ravens is perfect when that person reads, follows, and comments on every ravens article written. The phrase “jealousy breeds contempt” comes to mind here because all of your posts clearly show contempt and its becoming glaringly obvious that that contempt is a result of jealousy. Otherwise why would you spend all your time reading our articles?

24. Nofoolnodrool says: Feb 14, 2013 6:37 PM

cfeeley52 says:
    Feb 14, 2013 5:53 PM
    Nofoolnodrool says:
    Feb 13, 2013 6:56 AM

0 0
    I guess you choose to ignore the illustrious ravenator. What do the ravens have to be jealous about Rev Ray the slasher and T-Sizzle the bleacher? My contempt is not from wanting anything the ravens have,but rather for their lack of moral values in their support of stars that are less than ethical moral people. Take my advice and read the steeler threads and see the comments made by the raven intelligentsia and you maybe less harsh in your unwarranted indictment of me. I know that’s a lot to ask of a raven fan…smh