Redskins continue with bizarre strategy for defending their name

Brian Orakpo AP

Earlier today, we likely prompted a thumb’s up from Redskins fans by pointing out that, indeed, their favorite team was screwed by the league with $36 million in cap penalties.  And now we’ll go back to provoking other hand gestures from Redskins faithful by mentioning once again the lingering issues with the team’s nickname.

In response to recent criticism regarding the offensive nature of the moniker, the Redskins have pointed out that various high schools from sea to shining sea also use the name.

Darin Gantt wrote something about the first item posted by Redskins.com on the subject.  There’s now a new article regarding the fact that Redskins linebacker Brian Orakpo played for a Houston-area high school that also is known as the Redskins.

Orakpo’s high-school coach, Tom Nolen, called in to “Redskins TV” to answer high-and-tight fastballs like, “How is that name received in your community?” and “How is the name perceived in the community — is there pride in the name Redskins?”

Nolen mentioned that at one point “a kid . . . wrote a paper for school about it and we ended up having a referendum for the kids and the kids didn’t seem to mind being named the Redskins, so that kind of went away.”

The answer invites a few follow-up questions.  Was there an actual vote of the student body?  What was the outcome of the vote?  But no follow-up questions were posed on the topic, since that may have resulted in comments suggesting that there’s indeed a legitimate reason to question the ongoing use of the name.

And of course it once again has been pointed out that by the Washington Redskins that 70 high schools are known as the Redskins and only 75 are known as the Cowboys.

The fact that 70 high schools use a name with connotations to which most fans have become desensitized doesn’t make the name inoffensive or appropriate.  And pointing it out is a meaningless diversion from the real issue, the equivalent of saying, “Well, some of my best friends are Redskins.”

And if that’s all the Washington Redskins can muster to defend the ongoing use of the name, it’s amazing that they’ve been able to keep using it for as long as they have.

Permalink 38 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill, Washington Redskins
38 Responses to “Redskins continue with bizarre strategy for defending their name”
  1. tinkletinkleonyourstar says: Feb 13, 2013 5:12 PM

ya, change the name of a multibillion dollar organization because it offends 20 redskins in south dakota.
    get f’ing real.
    i think that they should change the name of the new england patriots. it very well may conjure up bad memories and offend the minority group that is known as ‘english americans’.

personally, i wouldn’t be offended if someone named a team say… the washington palefaces…
    if you’re hung up on your skin color, get over it.

2. FlyFromTheInside says: Feb 13, 2013 5:21 PM

Get over it, it’s not going to change. Not as long as Snyder is the owner at least. He has already said as much.

3. Pimpin' aint easy unless you are Chuck Norris says: Feb 13, 2013 5:21 PM

I dont get why their is resistance to change the name. My personal opinion, not being a Redskins fan, if I were a fan of the Skins, I would be on board with the name change. It will give them a chance to get rid of those horrendous colors and come up with something nice…

4. blacknole08 says: Feb 13, 2013 5:30 PM

The Washington Redskins aren’t using the name “Redskin” in a derogatory way. That’s what those offended don’t understand.

My high school alma mater James S. Rickards had an issue like this when I was a freshman in 2000, and, when polled, the majority of the student body were AGAINST the name change, mostly on the basis that it represented the pride, respect, and love for our school, as well as honoring their culture. Basically, the name promoted a sense of pride amongst our school.

It’s really not that offensive.

5. pft0 says: Feb 13, 2013 5:30 PM

How about we return all the stolen land to the real owners? The REDSKINS.

That does not bother anyone?

Anyone?

6. sickcuz says: Feb 13, 2013 5:31 PM

Where is the historical evidence proving that the name has been such a problem? The portrait in their logo is an actual chief who wanted to be on the helmet.

7. sickcuz says: Feb 13, 2013 5:33 PM

There are no good names left….what are they gonna change to? Any name naming them after politics is corny….Bad enough we got the Wizards.

8. blacknole08 says: Feb 13, 2013 5:33 PM

I’d like to add that, yes, we had to change our name — to the Raiders.

9. kansacity88 says: Feb 13, 2013 5:45 PM

I know a lot of Irish people that DONT fight!!! Plus, why arent these same people going after the Chicago Blackhawks?

10. thegreatgabbert says: Feb 13, 2013 5:45 PM

All this talk of red skins is, well, embarassing.

11. tfbuckfutter says: Feb 13, 2013 5:48 PM

I love these threads.

“Is this offensive to this group?”
    “Well as someone who isn’t a member of said group, I can honestly say I am not offended so no it isn’t offensive.”

12. fuglyflorio says: Feb 13, 2013 5:49 PM

The Washington Fightin’ Sea Snails.

13. marzmann says: Feb 13, 2013 5:49 PM

So its ok to have a racially insensitive nickname as long as the fans and/or student body dont mind being racially insensitive.

14. patfic15 says: Feb 13, 2013 6:07 PM

Ladies and Gentlemen, please welcome your 2013 Washington Football Players.

15. garryjercia says: Feb 13, 2013 7:05 PM

Two weeks into the offseason and two stories about this already.

Hurry up combine.

16. skolvikes82 says: Feb 13, 2013 8:18 PM

I live in north east South Dakota and we played a team every year who’s team name was the Redman, which is very similar to the Redskins, and the school is in an area of a reservation and half the team is Native American. The way i see it if the played for the team they probably didn’t take offense to it IMO. In fact they are many other teams in the state that have Native American related names that are in the vicinity of reservations.

17. pftstory says: Feb 13, 2013 9:05 PM

I’m married to an American Indian. She and her family are not offended. They don’t think twice about it. It’s just a football team. No offense taken because no offense is intended. Intent matters. White man Florio is going to take up this fake issue because a few other weak minded people are offended. Like there are not more important things in this country than having to deal with what a handful of cry babies want to gripe about. The majority of people in this country know it is not an insult. The majority of American Indians do not take it as one.

The name actually could be used to educate younger generations about a past culture that is disappearing. Instead let’s eliminate all references to them and forget anyone was here before us. But no Florio and the handful of cry babies are too shortsighted to consider something like that.

18. dropkickbanana says: Feb 13, 2013 9:13 PM

Wow.. It seems every darned post I attempt gets censored. Nothing really edgy. Who is modding these things? Not that this will make it on there either. Freedom of speech my backside. I’m forwarding all of my posts higher up if possible. this is BS.

19. raiderapologist says: Feb 13, 2013 9:18 PM

I don’t know who moderates the comments, but that person sure is selective. No room for honest discourse on this subject, at least not here.

20. dieselfan44 says: Feb 13, 2013 9:25 PM

Florio, each time you write about this garbage you get fewer and fewer comments. Take the hint, no one cares. I would agree that the REDSKINS shouldn’t defend their position due articles like this that are written to create controversy. It doesn’t even deserve my response.

21. dallascowboysdishingthereal says: Feb 13, 2013 9:31 PM

I’ve never understood what the issue is here. I know native americans and they seem to take pride in the name as fans of the team.

22. usmutts says: Feb 13, 2013 10:43 PM

It’s easy not to be offended when you’ve become desensitized to the name. And I can understand why long time fans therefore don’t see the need for a change. Indeed I didn’t see why “redskins” could be a problem.

Then a friend of mine gave me a whole new perspective on why the name is so offensive to many native Americans. He simply asked me if I would think it offensive if they changed the name to Washington Darkies.

The name Darkies would be offensive to many people, obviously. So it is with Redskins, even if many others are desensitized to it’s pejorative nature.

Mr. Snyder will keep the name and fans will continue to support it, but that doesn’t make it right.

23. richc111 says: Feb 13, 2013 10:46 PM

change their name to the Washington Fighting Whities and I will be the first one in line to buy a jersey.

24. ytownjoe says: Feb 14, 2013 12:14 AM

Florio must be one of those professional liberals who conduct a never-ending search for victims.

Redskins? Who’s offended? Proud warriors who fought to the bitter end. Never were they victims. Redskin pride lives.

25. coolzog says: Feb 14, 2013 1:51 AM

“The fact that 70 high schools use a name with connotations to which most fans have become desensitized doesn’t make the name inoffensive or appropriate”

Actually the fact that most people don’t find it offensive DOES mean it’s not offensive.

You’ll find someone who’s offended by anything, but you can’t make everyone happy. I don’t see any people of Nordic descent complaining about the Vikings logo, even though historically Vikings didn’t wear horned helmets…

26. nathanbetz91 says: Feb 14, 2013 2:22 AM

I’m just gonna say it, I hate Indians. people just do this crap for attention an Indian as a logo and team name is not offensive, neither is the word Indian which some of them take offense to sooner or later the term native American will be considered racist and well have to call them something else. If you wanna complain about something complain about Florida state. They’re the ones who are border line racist with thier mascot and its stupid celebrations.

27. johnnyquisp says: Feb 14, 2013 3:55 AM

I’m sort of surprised this isn’t a bigger issue, given the way less-controversial things get blown up. I do think the fact that they play in the nation’s capital makes it seem a little odd; that’s probably the last place a controversial name should exist. I’m don’t like the name personally but understand the history with the franchise. And in a weird way a change now might feel offensive to Native Americans. I’d rather see a change though, to something that inspires a little more pride with a little less controversy. How about The Washington Veterans, in honor of our nation’s troops past and present, and representative of the high concentration of military personnel in the region?

28. rawhead08 says: Feb 14, 2013 6:29 AM

Good God these liberal pantywaists are getting worse by the day

29. goodguyattorney says: Feb 14, 2013 7:05 AM

Just checking to see if this post of mine gets deleted. What gives?

30. mattyk72 says: Feb 14, 2013 8:29 AM

I’m about ready to give up posting here and visiting the site in general. Seems that almost all of my comments get blocked and I’m not even saying anything offensive. I don’t get it.

31. getyourownname says: Feb 14, 2013 8:41 AM

As soon as little Danny realizes it’s an opportunity to make more money by getting people to buy another set of jerseys and other stuff, he will go along.

His preferred new name – the Washington Dollars.

32. proflonghair says: Feb 14, 2013 8:49 AM

What’s so offensive about potatoes?

33. salutethis says: Feb 14, 2013 9:08 AM

Since I am not native American I don’t want to pretend I have that much to say about the name offending me. But I would say that there are plenty of great old tribe names that could be used instead of a racial slur. Iroquois? Cherokee? I wager that would be a minor change, the team can end this because its come up as long as I watched football. I figure these tribes would not try to sue for making rights if this is such a big issue.

34. rig44gins says: Feb 14, 2013 10:40 AM

Long time Redskin fan here in Virginia. Been a fan for about 25 years. I am part Cherokee Indian. I have no issue with the name Redskin. I don’t see it as offensive at all. I take pride in seeing the Indian as the logo. The logo is not offensive at all to me. Beautiful logo. If the NFL is going to make the Redskins change their name because it is offensive to some, then all sports, including the NCAA, need to look into changing several nicknames and logos. This is ridiculous. What gets me is that the media dosen’t talk about the Native Americans that take pride in the name and logo. Please do more research before you try to answer for all Native Americans.

35. jahbird says: Feb 14, 2013 10:43 AM

Here’s the real issue. Native American’s have been screwed by whites since time immemorial. If we really want to help these people, how bout we give them Manhattan back?

The Native American community is rife with poverty, alcoholism, and drug use. Yet, when people stand on their soapbox in defense of them, it is to get a football team’s name changed.

This, in my opinion, makes the Mike Florios and Mike Wises of the world hypocritical at best, and flagrantly disrespectful at worst.

If your version of Native reparations is changing the name of the Redskins, you have no clue as to the true issues that face that community.

36. patssox says: Feb 14, 2013 12:40 PM

• dropkickbanana says: Feb 13, 2013 9:13 PM

• raiderapologist says: Feb 13, 2013 9:18 PM

• goodguyattorney says: Feb 14, 2013 7:05 AM
    Just checking to see if this post of mine gets deleted. What gives?

• mattyk72 says: Feb 14, 2013 8:29 AM
    —————————–

I thought it was just me. I posted the most inoffensive, and yet insightful and well-constructed comment, both contextually and grammatically, and it got deleted.

What the hell?

If I can reconstruct my post, it went something like this:

>>”The fact that 70 high schools use a name with connotations to which most fans have become desensitized doesn’t make the name inoffensive or appropriate.”<<

"And the fact that Mike Florio thinks it's offensive or inappropriate does not make it so."

Then I went on to point out that (a) the issue should be decided by Native Americans and (b) not just those like the American Indian Movement who believe they are the final arbiters of what Native American imagery and monikers are acceptable.

Anything offensive there?

No, but Florio or his tools want to be seen as the only intelligent voices on this site.

Pathetic and worthy only of disgust.

37. uvmcatamounts says: Feb 14, 2013 5:13 PM

The only thing more offensive than the Skins’ name is the way in which Redskins fans defend it.

38. sonopazzo6 says: Apr 5, 2013 4:10 PM

Sorry…….I just don’t think that the “Washington Native Americans” sounds good!