George Wilson: I think I fit Lions’ needs

George Wilson, Justin Blackmon AP

Free agency doesn’t start until March 12, but players released by their 2012 teams are free to start shopping for a new team right away.

Safety George Wilson is one of those players and he was in Detroit Thursday to talk to the Lions. There are no reports of a contract offer on the table, but Wilson said after the meeting that it went well.

“They are looking for something and they see that I possess what they’re looking for,” Wilson said, via Tim Twentyman of the Lions website. “I definitely think I fit what they’re looking for … a guy that can cover, leadership, communication and consistency. I’m very optimistic about my visit today and we’ll see what happens as we move forward.”

The Lions got five games from strong safety Amari Spievey last season because of concussions and free safety Louis Delmas missed eight with knee troubles and the players who took their place didn’t do much to distinguish themselves on the field. Wilson would have been a great fit last year and he doesn’t look any worse with Delmas and Spievey both eligible for free agency next month.

Wilson also reportedly has a visit lined up with the Titans and more could be added to that list in the coming days.

Permalink 11 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Detroit Lions, Home, Rumor Mill
11 Responses to “George Wilson: I think I fit Lions’ needs”
  1. phillipalpha says: Feb 14, 2013 2:14 PM

Who does Mr Wilson think he is? – Reverse tampering like that? – i think a 4 game suspension will teach him a lesson!

2. tcmiller30 says: Feb 14, 2013 2:20 PM

Wilson was a great leader for Buffalo. He had a tough season and seemed to have lost a step, but he definitely still has a lot to offer as an NFL player. I think a team like the Lions could really use a guy like Wilson. I wish him the best of luck wherever he signs (except on days where he plays the Bills.)

3. randallflagg52 says: Feb 14, 2013 2:26 PM

Speaking of G Wilson’s, what ever happened to Gibril Wilson? That guy was a very good player from what I saw of him in NYC. I keep checking milk cartons for him but never see him.

4. rbanks51 says: Feb 14, 2013 2:26 PM

I doubt they’re looking for a guy that lets receivers and tight ends run past him all day. Also, don’t bother asking him to help in the run game.

5. tomcous says: Feb 14, 2013 2:33 PM

George was definitely a great leader and that will be missed. The change for Bills is good, but George will definitely find work elsewhere.

Good Luck George! I know many Bills fans who wish you well!

6. tcmiller30 says: Feb 14, 2013 2:59 PM

“”Aside from Jarius Byrd there were no real notable players deeper than the DL that had a decent year for the Bills.””

Are you talking strictly defense, cause if so, CJ Spiller and his 6 yards per carry say hello.

7. mjc10 says: Feb 14, 2013 3:18 PM

“I think I fit the Lions needs”

-Every free agent not looking to be a #1WR

8. gbmickey says: Feb 14, 2013 3:30 PM

If a db lives and breathes he is a fit for the that defensive secondary.

9. highwaiianjahwaiian says: Feb 14, 2013 6:59 PM

man I really want to see Wilson in two tone titans blue..

10. zeeman911 says: Feb 14, 2013 9:49 PM

Yeah come to the D, more castoffs from non-playoff teams is exactly what we need….

11. voiceofreason says: Feb 15, 2013 7:06 AM

People thought Coleman was going to be good too…lol..What makes anyone think this guy would be any different? Its our scheme that makes our pass defense horrible. Teams scheme around our pass-rush.