Vick’s plan to stay healthy: training and prayer

Vick Getty Images

Mike Vick knows he needs to stay healthy.  And he thinks that he hasn’t been healthy in recent years because he has tried too hard to stay healthy.

So what will he do in 2013?  It sounds like he’s taking the advice that Hulk Hogan routinely gave to all the little Hulkamaniacs.  Vitamins and prayer.

I can’t give you no explanation for that,” Vick told WIP radio in Philly regarding his injury history.  “It’s probably one of the toughest questions you’ve asked me since we’ve been talking.  I don’t know.  I think just to train — train hard and pray to God.  That’s gonna be my motto.  Hopefully I can sustain 16 games.  If I’m out there — go out there and put forth your best effort and see what happens.”

Vick has appeared in 16 games only once in his career.  It was 2006, his final season with the Falcons.

“We also have to realize, and I think you guys need to take into account that I was hit 170 times last year before I even went down,” Vick said.  “That’s the most I ever been hit before I even got hurt.  So, I kept getting up.  My body was trained and conditioned to go the distance last year, it was just the fact that I got a head injury and that kind of took me out.  That was kind of an out of the blue concussion.  It just happened.”

The issue isn’t whether Vick is prone to injury.  The problem is that he’s prone to contact.  While it’s impressive that he went 170 hits in nine games before getting hurt in 2012, he shouldn’t have been hit that many times.

And while we doubt that he was actually hit 18 times per game last year, the reality is that, if he can find a way to avoid contact, he can find a way to play all 16 games.

It’s not a matter of training or prayer or vitamins or anything else.  It’s about knowing when to hit the deck or run out of bounds or throw the ball away.

Permalink 58 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Philadelphia Eagles, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
58 Responses to “Vick’s plan to stay healthy: training and prayer”
  1. robertocfg says: Feb 14, 2013 3:04 PM

Sounds like a man with a plan.

2. uangerme says: Feb 14, 2013 3:05 PM

Praying is going to save him from getting his ribs broken again thinking he will run for 1000 yards. He isn’t that young ATL Falcons Vick he used to be.

3. 3yardsndust says: Feb 14, 2013 3:05 PM

Prayer?!? LOL. Yeah, right.

4. nyyjetsknicks says: Feb 14, 2013 3:08 PM

This is why he’s been hurt so much. He’s not talking to doctors. He’s talking into thin air.

5. thegreatgabbert says: Feb 14, 2013 3:10 PM

Mike is proceeding on the principle that it is better to be “good” than good.

6. toybkshr says: Feb 14, 2013 3:10 PM

He doesn’t have a “prayer” with that plan

7. thegreatgabbert says: Feb 14, 2013 3:10 PM

As long as he sticks to that order in priority he will be fine.

8. biancaneri says: Feb 14, 2013 3:11 PM

If he’s following the Hulk Hogan plan, he’d better be praying that he doesn’t get drug tested.

9. thomasknowland says: Feb 14, 2013 3:11 PM

Seemed to work for Ray Lewis

10. agelardi says: Feb 14, 2013 3:11 PM

As long as he prays harder than the other team’s players, he’ll be fine.

11. brintfatre says: Feb 14, 2013 3:13 PM

He sure has a whole lotta quit in him.

12. riggo08 says: Feb 14, 2013 3:13 PM

If prayer helps him, great. I am praying that he plays like he did in 2012!

13. somekat says: Feb 14, 2013 3:14 PM

If you doubt that he was hit 18 times a game last year, you didn’t watch many Eagles games. If anything, I find that as a low number

14. mdpickles says: Feb 14, 2013 3:14 PM

After 12 years, can’t teach an old dog new tricks.

15. bathroombenlovemachine says: Feb 14, 2013 3:15 PM

The Eagles will be Super Bowl 48 Champions and Michael Vick will be NFL and Super Bowl 48 MVP.

WU TANG

16. justintuckrule says: Feb 14, 2013 3:15 PM

Being on the Dream Team, I expect him to say that he’ll dream to stay healthy.

17. stevo8drum says: Feb 14, 2013 3:17 PM

a few things……1. Prayer actually works. Stats show that those who pray live longer, are generally happier and are often healthier humans. sorry… its true.

2. That being said… Vick…. try sliding when you run and hopefully your OL will suck less this year.

3. No Dream team joke? As a fan of this site and a 30+ year Eagles fan…… enough with the non stop dream team crap. You are worse than some of our wives with how you bring this up for nearly every post. Ok….. it was said a few years ago. Move on.

18. blackandbluedivision says: Feb 14, 2013 3:19 PM

Hogan’s vitamins weren’t exactly legal. Have you seen the Hulkster lately?

19. nyjalleffingday says: Feb 14, 2013 3:21 PM

I’d double up on the training if I were you.

20. ham1 says: Feb 14, 2013 3:22 PM

Yea right. And what about stupid? Hows he going to fix that?

21. dowhatifeellike says: Feb 14, 2013 3:29 PM

One of those things may actually help.

22. broadstbully says: Feb 14, 2013 3:30 PM

Like somekat, I don’t understand how you doubt that he was hit 18x/game. The man took a shot on damn near half his passing attempts, not to mention the scrambles. At the rate he got hit, I was surprised it took him 9 games to go down for the count. That said, at least 60% of those hits were ones he could have avoided. But with the atrocity that was the Eagles’ O-Line last year, it’s not a stretch to think that an already contact-prone QB would have gotten knocked around with that frequency. Conjecture for conjecture’s sake, I suppose.

23. mhalt99 says: Feb 14, 2013 3:34 PM

I really really really wish that this wasn’t so true. How I wish I didn’t love my wife :)

24. captainwisdom8888 says: Feb 14, 2013 3:35 PM

There’s a decent chance that Chip Kelly’s offense will be well-suited for Vick and he will have relative success in it, but the idea that Vick is going to be asked to run more and be more of a physical player like the styles of RG3 and Kap…that doesn’t sound conducive to #7 staying on the field. Asking Vick to reform his playing style will only work to a degree, but successfully providing him with a big, physical offensive line that can keep his jersey clean…that will do more to benefit Vick’s chances of playing 16 games than ANYTHING.

25. gurkharavens says: Feb 14, 2013 3:37 PM

Sustain 16 games?? He knows he won’t have to play more than 16 as they wont be making the playoffs.

26. dawglb says: Feb 14, 2013 3:41 PM

Apparently he thinks Ray Lewis will put in a good word (to the Big Fella), for him….

27. warhammer420 says: Feb 14, 2013 3:42 PM

“Two hands working can do more than a thousand clasped in prayer.”

28. bobbybudnick says: Feb 14, 2013 3:44 PM

If it works, maybe he can pray to learn our playbook!

29. dirkanger23 says: Feb 14, 2013 3:46 PM

Glad to know that praying more will make him less injury prone, will allow him to release the ball in less than 10 seconds, will give him the vision to finally be able to read a defense, will make him have less turnovers, & will allow him to shoulder the blame & not throw his teammates under the bus when things go bad. Yep, prayer’s definitely the solution here.
    Guess the last 2 years he just didn’t pray enough is all.

30. eaglesfanalways says: Feb 14, 2013 3:48 PM

Where does one even BEGIN to discuss that remark? Maybe training and the grace of God will put about 25 pounds of muscle on him and he’ll grow 4 inches…that should help. And you have to wonder why we Philly fans like to boo…it’s to keep from crying.

31. totallydisgusted says: Feb 14, 2013 3:49 PM

Maybe he should learn how to read defenses

32. schmitty2 says: Feb 14, 2013 3:58 PM

3 tips to keeping Vick healthy

1.Get some o lineman who can actually block
    2.Learn to actually read defenses
    3.Get rid of the ball quicker

33. upperdecker19 says: Feb 14, 2013 3:58 PM

That mirrors Tebow’s plan to become a serviceable QB or the next Pope

34. rams1579 says: Feb 14, 2013 4:01 PM

mumbling to oneself in the dark…good idea. i’m sure that will do it.

35. chattanola says: Feb 14, 2013 4:04 PM

I’d like to see a serious analysis of why that happened.

Study up and get rid of the ball, Mike.

36. generalherald says: Feb 14, 2013 4:25 PM

“The issue isn’t whether Vick is prone to injury. The problem is that he’s prone to contact”

For fun, switch it around:
    The problem isn’t whether Vick is prone to injury. The issue is that he’s prone to contact.

37. erikmc10 says: Feb 14, 2013 4:26 PM

LEARN TO SLIDE!

38. contraisloosebuthole says: Feb 14, 2013 4:37 PM

magic and superstition…good plan Vick

39. bensstinkyfingers says: Feb 14, 2013 4:41 PM

Unfortunatley Michael, Even God and Baby Jesus will not be able to help keep you from getting injured in Chipsters offense you will be running.

40. sdg5113 says: Feb 14, 2013 4:43 PM

It amazes me to see how many people inaccurately assert their opinions on this website without factual information to rely on. The Eagles having a poor OL is perhaps the biggest misconception of all the absurdity on here. Going into last season, it was common understanding that the Eagles were touting one of the premier offensive lines in the league.

Jason Peters was All-Pro LT.
    Evan Mathis was a Pro-Bowl LG.
    Jason Kelce was considered to be a phenomenal find in the draft and was thought to be one of the brightest up and coming Centers in the entire league.
    Danny Watkins was the weak link, but he was improving significantly at the end of last season.
    Todd Herremans, perhaps the most underrated lineman in all of football, made the improbable shift from LT to LG to RT.

Above all of that, these guys gave the Eagles one of the top rushing attacks in the league with LeSean McCoy also being named All-Pro. They had a very high ceiling coming into this year (with a full offseason under used-to-be offensive line coach Howard Mudd’s system) and they should all be back for next year.

****The point I am trying to make is that this offensive line was decimated by injuries last year, and they should be able to make a strong comeback this year. THE OL CANNOT BE THE SCAPEGOAT ANY LONGER.

41. mhm0428 says: Feb 14, 2013 4:58 PM

He took that many hits because he holds onto the ball for too long, and doesn’t slide when he takes off. If he got rid of the ball quickly, or throw the ball away he wouldn’t be hit as much. As inept as the line looked with Vick, it didn’t look as bad with Foles. (1) Foles stays in the pocket and moves within the pocket, (2) he makes quicker decisions with the ball, & (3) he threw the ball away. The line was bad, but Vick makes a bad line look putrid. It’s obvious Foles is going to be moved and a college style offense is going to be installed. I think it’s a shame that Foles will not get a chance to develop, or not develop here because of the coach that was hired. We will be left to listen next year to Vick explain why his failure is someone else’s fault.

42. kevpft says: Feb 14, 2013 5:11 PM

Vick shouldn’t worry. He’s not going to be harm’s way much longer. He’ll have all the time he could ever want to not get hit.

43. zengreaser says: Feb 14, 2013 5:15 PM

sdg5113,

Pray tell what Pro Bowl did Evan Mathis play in? Your assessment of the Eagles offensive line makes me wonder if you are Dave Spadaro. Yes, Peters is an All-Pro. And while Mathis has played well, he was not a Pro Bowler. Jason Kelce is hardly a “phenomenal” find; he started out rough in 2011, but progressed to be a solid starter. Haven’t been able to see much more than that since he went down in the beginning of his second season. Danny Watkins improved significantly last season? He didn’t even play!!! Jake Scott came in off the street and took Danny’s job. And Watkin’s first year was below average at best. As for Herremans, yeah, he is good, but don’t act as if moving from LG to RT is some miraculous act worthy of praise.

People like you give us Eagles fans a bad name.

44. jssgriffi says: Feb 14, 2013 5:25 PM

I’m a diehard just like every other eagles fan. I wanted Vick gone just as much as every other eagles fan. But, if Vick is going to succeed again, this will be the style of offense. He couldn’t do the things that makes him a great athlete in Andy Reid’s offense. This will be his best shot at the old but more refined Mike Vick. I don’t have much faith in his ability to stay healthy. I do however like the way he plays the game, almost like an A.I. Kinda style. I think it’s worth one last shot and I’m hoping for the best. After all what is there to lose?? Everyone wanted Andy gone, so everyone got there wish. Quit the belly aching already before you see what the product is gonna be.

45. brownsalwaysrebuilding says: Feb 14, 2013 6:02 PM

Just double-up on the training and forget the prayer thing,

Because c’mon, seriously.

46. firestarter0728 says: Feb 14, 2013 6:04 PM

But which “god” is he gonna pray to? There are thousands to choose from.

47. boogerhut says: Feb 14, 2013 6:07 PM

stevo8drum says: Feb 14, 2013 3:17 PM

=================================
    Actually, like most statements from faith based people, you’re wrong. University studies have been done involving prayer and illness. The results (scientific not faith oriented) show conclusively that prayer has zero effect on recovery. Zero. Scientific fact which undoubtedly will be ignored by people who believe that the Earth is a few thousand years old built in 6 days by some omnipotent being.

48. warhammer420 says: Feb 14, 2013 6:12 PM

But which “god” is he gonna pray to? There are thousands to choose from.

– I’d pick Thor. You see how bad azz he was in the Avengers? That’s my kinda god.

49. muskyhunter2542 says: Feb 14, 2013 7:09 PM

He would look really good in Green and Gold.

50. icewalker946 says: Feb 14, 2013 7:15 PM

Goddam prayer won’t help a goddam thing.

I can ‘talk’ with my dog and I get a reaction. I used to talk to God and try to find out why he puts Sanduskys on this planet and why he allows it.

Maybe he’s like Paterno; he looks the other way.

51. bthomas22x says: Feb 14, 2013 7:26 PM

You see, this is why Philadelphia fans have the reputation they have. We’re probably the most dedicated to our team because we have absolutely zero reserves about giving criticism lol. And now, allow me to add my input.

First things first, doesn’t anyone remember the 2010 season? Yeah, we still had McNabb, but our offensive line actually had some juice at that time and Vick was dominating every team on the field. Don’t get me wrong, I understand that was two years ago, but if you give Vick more time to actually DECIDE if he would like to throw the ball or run the ball, he’s a MUCH better player. If Vick has to take off as soon as the ball is snapped, his numbers drop dramatically. If he has a couple more seconds to think about what to do, his numbers increase incredibly.

Second: We need to get over the whole “Dream Team” thing. That was Vince Young, and he’s not even on our team anymore :P lol. We dropped him like a bad habit. (Thank the sweet dear lord baby Jesus) We do have a lot of weapons we can use on both sides of the ball, but we need to get our coaching staff in order so we can get on the same page.

Finally: Although I’m not too happy to admit this… we just picked up Dennis Dixon. Dixon will open up the game like McNabb and Vick did and help take a little pressure off Vick, as well as Kelly and Dixon are used to working together. It may have been a couple years, but I’m sure Dixon still remembers how Kelly runs his offensive strategy. Yeah, it’ll be a little different because it’s not the NCAA, but they’ve already got chemistry.

Hopefully I don’t get bashed too hard by you guys for those points. And if I do, oh well, I’m a big boy… I can take it. I can dish it back out too. I’m ALWAYS up for a good debate, but that’s all for now. Peace out girl scouts!

52. ordinaryday6 says: Feb 14, 2013 7:47 PM

How about learning to read defenses and check into the correct plays… That and some actual football awareness will serve you better than prayer. Fail. Why did we keep him again? Guy’s an idiot.

53. mackcarrington says: Feb 14, 2013 7:56 PM

“God, please don”t let me get injured again. Amen !!! —
    Mike Vick

54. greenie7891 says: Feb 14, 2013 7:57 PM

He gets injured by basic hits take that crap back to falg football bc its the same sad song with him PUT UP OR SHUT UP!!!!

55. janvanflac says: Feb 14, 2013 8:55 PM

Vick was even getting drilled on plays where he handed the ball off….it was ridiculous. There was one game where I kept saying, ok, that’s it, he’s not getting up this time, but he finished the game.

56. 6250claimer says: Feb 14, 2013 10:19 PM

That proverbial “bag of hammers” really is smarter in this case.

57. bleedgreen11 says: Feb 15, 2013 12:09 AM

Mike Vick is a warrior. 170 hits. I recall at least 25 that made me cringe, and he got right up and kept moving, knowing there was a 90% chance that he was gonna get clobbered again next play.

With a heavy run game or at the very least a more balanced attack I think he can have a decent year. He does have a good amount of rest and recovery on his body, hopefully that helps.

Just being optimistic, die hard eagles fan that just wants them to win again.

58. stevo8drum says: Feb 15, 2013 5:03 PM

boogerhut says:

Actually… I dont believe the earth is flat… 1,000 years old or any of of those things that you have assumed I believe… however, as a Minister and one who studied science in college I could provide for you thousands of studies that show the benefit of prayer on things such as blood pressure, sleep, and relationships. Example- research what prayer between couples does to one’s sex life. You would be amazed sir.