Alfonzo Dennard says he did not intentionally hit a police officer

Indianapolis Colts v New England Patriots Getty Images

Patriots cornerback Alfonzo Dennard testified in his own defense today at his trial for assaulting a police officer, and he said that while it was possible he hit the officer with his right arm while trying to pull away, he did not intentionally punch the officer.

I had no idea I hit the officer with my right fist,” Dennard said, according to the Omaha World-Herald.

Dennard acknowledged that he resisted when Officer Benjamin Kopsa attempted to arrest him, but Dennard said that he was confused when Kopsa grabbed him after a brief skirmish with another man.

“I turned around and I saw it was a police officer,” Dennard said. “He said, ‘You’re under arrest.’ . . . I said, ‘No I’m going to go home.’ He kept trying to grab my arm, I kept pulling it away.”

Kopsa testified that Dennard punched him in the jaw, and if Dennard is convicted of that felony charge, he could be sentenced to as much as five years in prison. The case is expected to go to a jury on Tuesday, after the three-day Presidents Day weekend.

Permalink 42 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: New England Patriots, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
42 Responses to “Alfonzo Dennard says he did not intentionally hit a police officer”
  1. wte1 says: Feb 15, 2013 7:24 PM

A skirmish like that shouldn’t be considered for anything close to five years in prison.

Let him pick up litter in a Nebraska State Park and send him back to New England now!

2. thegreatgabbert says: Feb 15, 2013 7:25 PM

“I was surprised I hit the officer with my right fist…all seven times…”.

3. catquick says: Feb 15, 2013 7:26 PM

Wow! I thought for sure he’d say ” sure, I meant to hammer him!”

4. bigshirk says: Feb 15, 2013 7:26 PM

Yea and I didn’t intentionally put it in the wrong hole…..

5. reprob8 says: Feb 15, 2013 7:31 PM

he admits resisting arrest and I’m sorry, “I had no idea I hit the officer with my right fist” isn’t the strongest defense. the ONLY way he avoids spending a li’l time in a jumpsuit is if he gets the typical professional athlete judgement.

I’ll bet that he’ll get off and end up on another police blotter before the season starts.

6. bigbadal21 says: Feb 15, 2013 7:32 PM

Once the officer said “you’re under arrest” any attempt, such as pulling your arm away is resisting arrest. A question I have is why would Dennard have his hand in a fist after he was told he was under arrest?

7. nepo784 says: Feb 15, 2013 7:46 PM

Drew Brees demands an explanation

8. boogymanoflamancha says: Feb 15, 2013 7:46 PM

The sun was in my eyes
    The dog ate my homework
    I was at my moms that day
    I did not intentionally hit a police officer

9. spr217 says: Feb 15, 2013 7:53 PM

I still don’t understand, did he know the guy was a cop or not? It sounds like the cop was off duty and in plain clothes and got involved in breaking up the fight, did Dennard hit him thinking it was someone else? Or was he just going cray cray and say F the pO-lice? Either way, he starts for my team and he’s good, give him a pass ahahah. F tha pO-lice!!!

10. badintent says: Feb 15, 2013 7:56 PM

“And I did not have sex with that woman”

11. chawk12thman says: Feb 15, 2013 7:57 PM

Guilty but never get jail time……Probation only.

12. trevor123698 says: Feb 15, 2013 8:06 PM

this is why you stay out of bars. especially if you look even remotely athletic. you dont want the bar flies anyways

13. harrisbarton says: Feb 15, 2013 8:06 PM

No different than Cary Williams shoving the ref with both hands. He didn’t mean to do it. So, by NFL logic, there should be no penalty.

14. boogerhut says: Feb 15, 2013 8:15 PM

He won’t do a minute of time. He won’t even get community service.

15. ghosts go boo says: Feb 15, 2013 8:22 PM

Send him to the Jets for a season. That’s punishment enough!

16. citiciti says: Feb 15, 2013 8:33 PM

i dident no he was a poa poa!

17. MichaelEdits says: Feb 15, 2013 8:45 PM

Ah yes, the famous “oops” defense. Same one you’d use if you shoved a referee.

18. nfl4days says: Feb 15, 2013 8:47 PM

I did not have physical altercations with that officer!

19. fearthehoody says: Feb 15, 2013 8:48 PM

Please, please, let Kyle Arrington and Steve Gregory be accomplices

20. ravenmuscle says: Feb 15, 2013 8:50 PM

Was this a church where this event occurred?

Funny how these events always occur late at night in clubs where these dudes are drunk.

Denard should call up Pacman Jones and get some advice on CLUBBIN’.

Its not often where football players run into cops in church.

21. depleted00uranium00balth says: Feb 15, 2013 9:03 PM

Too bad the police lie so much that we really have no idea what happened. They will lie to support each other and trump up charges like it’s nothing.

22. thegreatgabbert says: Feb 15, 2013 9:05 PM

Alf did not intentionally hit the officer. A deer jumped out suddenly and caused him to swerve.

23. ripster65 says: Feb 15, 2013 9:19 PM

But he did resist. That rarely goes over well with the police. Right or wrong, you’ll never get away with that. This would have been over and done with a long time ago if he would have complied.

24. bartlettruss says: Feb 15, 2013 9:22 PM

Everything about this case bothers me. The arresting officer testified he was by himself, but the next day there was a second officer giving eyewitness testimony. I’m skeptical.

25. nomoreseasontix says: Feb 15, 2013 9:46 PM

I hit ‘em in the fist with my face until they get tired. Then I knock ‘em out….

26. harrisonhits2 says: Feb 15, 2013 9:46 PM

First offense I believe. Since the officer wasn’t seriously hurt he’ll probably get probation and anger management classes, maybe some community service.

27. granadafan says: Feb 15, 2013 11:12 PM

These players never ever do anything wrong. They didn’t “knowingly” take PEDs, it’s not their gun, she said she was 18, they only had two drinks, she lied, they didn’t kill those dogs, they didn’t shoot that guy, the glove don’t fit and you must acquit, they didn’t intentionally hit the cop, etc.

28. lflib69 says: Feb 16, 2013 2:55 AM

You are at a bar….you have several drinks and have a slight buzz on….you get outside to leave and have a physical altercation with another buzzed patron…to you two fellows no one else exists but you and him and no way he is getting the better of you…..someone comes up and grabs you from behind….what’s your reaction? I am sure whatever happened is reactionary not intentional…he probably really doesn’t know what he was doing. And to the fellow inquiring about why he put his hand in a fist…..He was fighting and I’m sure he wasn’t hitting like a girl.

29. TheWizard says: Feb 16, 2013 4:18 AM

Innocent!

He’s our best corner right now.

30. joetoronto says: Feb 16, 2013 4:32 AM

“He said, ‘You’re under arrest.’ . . . I said, ‘No I’m going to go home.’

I’m guessing you didn’t go home, SMH.

31. lance19 says: Feb 16, 2013 4:35 AM

I never realized that
    “No I’m going to go home”
    was a legal response to arrest.

Definitely will try it out! :)

32. giantssb42champs says: Feb 16, 2013 7:16 AM

And BB did not intentionally videotape other teams.

33. razzlejag says: Feb 16, 2013 8:14 AM

It’s going to a jury so he may walk or he may do 5 years, you never know what a jury is going to do (ask OJ and a legion of others).

It’s also Nebraska and who knows how they feel out there about this kind of thing; again, either he walks or he does 5 years.

Personally, I hope they find a win-win middle ground – he’s did something stupid, sure, but in the big scheme of things it wasn’t THAT bad (I admit I don’t have all the facts).

Something like 200 hours community service talking to high school kids, a $10,000 fine split between 4 charities (2 of his choice, 2 of the
    state’s choice) and 1 year suspended sentence, suspended for 3 years.

34. tecmoboot says: Feb 16, 2013 8:16 AM

Dennard: “He should be the one apologizing…his face ran into my fist!”

35. prmpft says: Feb 16, 2013 9:03 AM

I am quite sure that DOLT cop jumped right into the path of his swing. Now he’s trying to pull a fast one.

36. MTLighthouse69 says: Feb 16, 2013 9:23 AM

It will be interesting to see how Goodell handles this. Will Goodell be gun-shy due to the Bountygate fiasco, or will he come down hard on Denard?

37. rayguyreturns says: Feb 16, 2013 10:14 AM

He should of testified: “he should have ducked before he hit my fist with his face”. (sarcasm)

38. fran021 says: Feb 16, 2013 10:23 AM

The cop was in plain clothes. I don’t know much about Dennard, but there are a lot of cops I don’t like. My twelve-year-old straight arrow top-of-her-class daughter was harrassed by a cop for five miutes after she got off a bus after a field trip to Harvard beause she was wearing the jersey of a team he didn’t like. I’ll go with Dennard on this one.

39. CKL says: Feb 16, 2013 10:38 AM

MTLighthouse69 says:
    Feb 16, 2013 9:23 AM
    _____________________________
    I would hope he does nothing. The incident occurred before Dennard was in the NFL.

The Terrelle Pryor case, where he did give him a suspension for something he did in college was different.

It sounds like Dennard is saying enough that makes him look culpable such that his testimony seems truthful. He’s not denying everything. What he says sounds plausible. We’ll see.

40. kingsforever says: Feb 16, 2013 12:19 PM

I’m sorry if someone in plain clothes tries to grab me I’m decking them with all my strength, no hesitation. Wear a uniform next time moron.

41. buffalobills716 says: Feb 16, 2013 2:24 PM

Please profootballtalk,this is not news we all knows the way their pats are…. #Cheaters. Like Terrell Suggs said their three super bowls are questionable and that real talk. If u dont believe me then tell me when was the last time Patriots won a super bowl since getting caught?At least my Bills went 2 four staright super bowls,but never did they cheated or tapping other teams for greatness. And that real talk. #gobills

42. fearthehoody says: Feb 16, 2013 11:06 PM