Chip Kelly thinks Oregon assistants necessary for installing his system

Philadelphia Eagles Introduce Chip Kelly Getty Images

Eagles coach Chip Kelly wants his team to practice the same way they play, which will mean a pace that most NFL teams aren’t used to keeping during their workouts.

Kelly doesn’t want that to become a problem in his first season in the NFL, so he brought five assistants with him from Oregon. Kelly explained that defensive line coach Jerry Azzinaro, assistant defensive line coach Erik Chinander, assistant special teams coach Matt Harper, assistant defensive backs coach Todd Lyght and assistant offensive line coach Greg Austin are all in Philadelphia in part because they’ll be able to act as interpreters for other coaches and players unfamiliar with what Kelly is looking for.

“I knew I was going to hire coordinators that were NFL guys that haven’t had the opportunity to work with me before. I have a tendency to talk really fast and I want things to be efficient,” Kelly said, via Reuben Frank of CSNPhilly.com. “But I also know that I may forget to say something, and (offensive coordinator) Pat Shurmur can go to Greg Austin and say, ‘What did he mean by that?’ Or the same thing with (special teams coach) Dave Fipp and Matt Harper for those young guys. Now I can put together guys with NFL experience coming here, and those guys can say, ‘This is what coach means, this is how we operate.’”

There isn’t a very long list of successful NFL coaches without prior coaching or playing experience in the NFL. Kelly’s approach to bucking that trend makes as much sense as any we can think of when it comes to tackling the transition.

Permalink 32 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Philadelphia Eagles, Rumor Mill
32 Responses to “Chip Kelly thinks Oregon assistants necessary for installing his system”
  1. mullman76 says: Feb 15, 2013 10:46 AM

It doesn’t matter how they do it as long as they win.

That being said, I anticipate a total disaster and Kelly being dispatched back to the college ranks after the 2014 season…

2. smackywomack says: Feb 15, 2013 10:49 AM

This is going to be such a huge failure. I can’t wait to watch

3. 12strikes says: Feb 15, 2013 10:56 AM

I have come to the conclusion that Chip Kelly’s approach will end in of of 2 extremes . He will either revolutionized NFL coaching or he will be gone in 1 year. I’m hoping for the first.

4. jimnaizeeum says: Feb 15, 2013 11:01 AM

It will be tough to evaluate him until he gets a qb, and there is no one long term out there that fits his system this year.

5. wte1 says: Feb 15, 2013 11:01 AM

I think the fans in Philly are probably too dumb to understand a guy as smart as Chip Kelly.

6. brassknuckles47 says: Feb 15, 2013 11:13 AM

Thanks, Chip…for bringing college football to the NFL!

7. brownspower says: Feb 15, 2013 11:14 AM

This has failure written all over it. Chip is basically telling everyone that his practices will be chaos and it’s on the committee of “assistants to the assistants” to bring some semblance of order to it.
    Glad I’m in Cleveland. Haslam walked away from this for a good reason.

8. cunninghampeetemcnabbvick says: Feb 15, 2013 11:15 AM

People just want to see Kelly fail on here. He could save puppies from a burning house and there would still be negative comments.

9. eagleswin says: Feb 15, 2013 11:23 AM

It’s going to be a long year. Spurrier 2.0.

10. patslaya says: Feb 15, 2013 11:24 AM

Steve Spurrier part 2. I love it when the other teams in the division make bad hires! Thanks for making two games a year easier for the team that I root for!

11. eagleswin says: Feb 15, 2013 11:28 AM

jimnaizeeum says:
    Feb 15, 2013 11:01 AM

——————————

You modify the system to fit the talent, that’s what good coaches do. This isn’t the NCAA where you go out and recruit everyone who is the best at their position.

If they lose because Kelly can’t adjust, that’s on Kelly, not the team or league.

It already looks like he wants to pretend he’s still in oregon. It’s going to be rude awakening for him to realize that there’s alot more parity in the talent level in the pro’s than in college. Also, you have to treat the players differently than college kids.

12. thesmartestmanever says: Feb 15, 2013 11:40 AM

I like what Chip did in Oregon all the way in America’s attic facing teams like walla wallla state, and the university of spoiled children. all tucked up there away from the sec and the acc. umm we all know how this ends you can ask anyone from Bobby Ross to Steve Spurrier and they will tell you the same thing. everybody is really fast in the NFL. but hey if my REDSKINS can count on two easy wins twice a year then I’m all for it.

13. Jimmy says: Feb 15, 2013 11:43 AM

brownspower says:
    Feb 15, 2013 11:14 AM
    Glad I’m in Cleveland. Haslam walked away from this for a good reason.
    __________________________

Suuuuuuuure the Browns walked away.

14. eaglesfanalways says: Feb 15, 2013 11:59 AM

Let’s analyze Chip’s statement…he hired college assistants from Oregon because they know how to work with him. Fair enough…of course it couldn’t be the case that there were no NFL assistants that wanted to work with him. After all, think of the great opportunity to work FOR Chip Kelly as someone who has NFL experience, which would automatically make you more qualified than the head coach. But, Chip didn’t need to answer the question as to why there are so few assistants on his staff with NFL experience, now did he?

15. radrntn says: Feb 15, 2013 12:00 PM

so in other words lets have a bunch of college coaches work as pro coaches….makes complete sense. smh

16. andyreidisthegoat says: Feb 15, 2013 12:05 PM

Glad I’m in Cleveland.

————–
    I’ve never heard or seen that written before. Shocking. But yeah, this philly experiment will be a complete flop.

Hey djack and mike; here is your navy seal to train you until you vomit. should go over really well with all of the prima donnas on this team.

if kelly does not win early in his career-major resistance and lack of respect from the players will be seen.

17. mojosmagic says: Feb 15, 2013 12:08 PM

People who are posting these asinine comments about Kelly are imbeciles. They know nothing about him, or how he operates. This man is ultra intelligent and knows exactly what will and won’t translate to the NFL. He isn’t some one trick pony or a scheme. It all comes down to fundamentals and coaching which he is light years ahead of his contemporaries.

18. thesportsguru7 says: Feb 15, 2013 12:15 PM

brownspower says:
    Feb 15, 2013 11:14 AM
    Glad I’m in Cleveland. Haslam walked away from this for a good reason.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

You ever been to an Oregon practice? Ever played football in your life at a competitive level? If you haven’t then you shouldn’t comment, cause you sound like an idiot.

Chip knows how he wants things run, it’s up to the players to buy into it. If they buy into it, they can be good. The Patriots run a very similar style of play/practice, why do they do that? Because Bill Bellichek bounced ideas off of Chip Kelly, to make it work in the NFL.

19. greymares says: Feb 15, 2013 12:46 PM

Actually i’m scared to death of the whole thing but I;ll take it with a grain of salt (gulp) until i see a result one way or the other.

20. Land Snark says: Feb 15, 2013 1:58 PM

@thesmartestmanever

You must be the smartest ever, lumping the ACC in with the SEC, as if they’ve done squat in the last decade. Nice.

Oh, and your ‘skins will never have 2 easy wins. Everyone will have the offseason to get the book on RG III just like they did with Newton.

Enjoy that moment in the sun this past season. It’s the closest your team will get to the Super Bowl short of Danny buying a Lombardi replica.

21. dallascowboysdishingthereal says: Feb 15, 2013 2:15 PM

I think the Eagles just might win their division…uh the Pac 12. (4getubelowme)

22. 4getu says: Feb 15, 2013 3:17 PM

Haha. So glad you noticed that I think you’re an idiot and your comments don’t ever change, wasn’t sure you were getting the message. Maybe try sharing some of your expert football knowledge instead of making everyone deal with your blind hate for the eagles. Or just admit you’re a little worried

23. cunninghampeetemcnabbvick says: Feb 15, 2013 3:38 PM

You guys do realize the Oregon assistants are just assistants to the assistants right? They’re not head position coaches or anything, sheesh!

24. icdogg says: Feb 15, 2013 4:12 PM

I counted 22 guys on the coaching staff… they’re from pros, college, even a guy who trained Navy SEALs. There’s no shortage of any kind of experience they could want.

25. bobonmycob says: Feb 15, 2013 4:43 PM

You people are so ignorant. Already calling a coach a failure when he literally has done nothing yet. I love all the hateful and spiteful comments here. I will surely use this as ammo on all of you when CP’s 2013 Eagles come out and light it up and look 1000x different then they did last season. I dont expect a super bowl win this year but I do expect the team to do better then 4-12. and I think with Chip on board the pieces to the puzzle will start to fall in place. Keep on being hateful and fueling the fire boys!

26. deduckfan says: Feb 15, 2013 4:58 PM

Haha. “The Chip Kelly era is going to be a miserable failure…” yeah, because going 4-12 last year was such a great showing. All that NFL coaching experience in Philadelphia really paid off the past few years didn’t it?

27. bigredsvrcek says: Feb 15, 2013 6:35 PM

Loving all these chip Kelly/eagles haters. Why is it such a terrible idea to bring in a few guys who know chip’s system for a smooth implementation? Is it so rare for head coaches to bring a few of their people along when they are hired to a new team? No, this happens literally every time a new coach is hired, from the NFL or NCAA, so I’m not understanding why it’s a bad move on Kelly’s part. As for practices being chaos, his offense seemed very much organized at oregon. I’m sure if practices were chaos they would not have had near the efficiency they did. This guy is a football genius and is already respected by nfl head coaches (see Carroll and Belichick). Won’t be long till Philly is back on top of the NFC East.

28. phillyphannn83 says: Feb 15, 2013 11:00 PM

You’re all gonna be eatin crow come January and I can’t wait!!

29. reasonablemindsays says: Feb 15, 2013 11:37 PM

All of you will be begging on your knees for mercy when Kelly’s Eagles dominate the NFL.

30. dallascowboysdishingthereal says: Feb 16, 2013 7:27 PM

Oh you’re right 4getufrickinidiot, I’m very worried about this college staff dominating the NFL next season. How clueless. Even most blind Eagle fans know better.

31. gjeffries says: Feb 18, 2013 1:46 PM

We have Vick at QB so we are doomed. Any “genious ” coach who thinks they can fix that mess is off to a really bad start. I hope I am wrong, but this is not good. NFL super bowl’s are not won by reinventing the wheel, rather adapting and good sound fundamental football. Vick is not capable of reading defense properly to win consistently. He loves to fumble and take sacks. Important games are to close in this league to lose turnover battle that often. Well lets hope Kelly is a miracle worker and not another innovator like Spurrier. (Spurrier at least won national championships in college)

32. snuffyc3 says: Mar 12, 2013 12:35 PM

Hello Eagle fans, interesting reading comments.. as an Oregon lad all I’d like to add is… Get ready for an exciting season.. Don’t take your eyes off the field or go for that fresh beverage. The options alone will make it fun. Give him a chance and sit back and enjoy the ride!