Jason Hanson still hasn’t decided whether to return for season 22

Jason Hanson AP

Kicker Jason Hanson, 42, has spent 21 years in the NFL — all with the Lions.  Hanson hasn’t decided whether to return for season number 22.

“I still have just been taking my time to really figure it out and make sure that I’m making the right decision and so I haven’t officially decided yet,” Hanson said Saturday, via Dave Birkett of the Detroit Free Press.  “I’ve been in contact with the Lions.  I’m around and so I’m not hiding, but I told them I just really want to take my time and make sure that I’m not making a mistake by coming back and not going to regret that I left if I do so I’m just taking my time.”

Hanson has no contract for 2013, which means he’ll become a free agent on March 12.  On Friday, Lions president Tom Lewand said that the two sides “haven’t come to any agreement about a contract going forward.”

Hanson hopes his decision will come “sometime in the next weeks,” but then he admitted he doesn’t “know what that means.”

“They’d like to know probably now so they can make plans,” Hanson said, “but I just think sometime in the next few weeks I got to make a decision.”

He’s right.  If he’s not coming back, the Lions need to be able to pursue other free agents, or to make plans to draft a kicker or sign a rookie free agent.

Hanson arrived as a second-round pick in the 1992 draft.  He was a rookie during Barry Sanders’ fourth NFL season.

Permalink 28 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Detroit Lions, Home, Rumor Mill
28 Responses to “Jason Hanson still hasn’t decided whether to return for season 22”
  1. funktron2x says: Feb 16, 2013 7:53 PM

Come on J! Stick around, the best is yet to come!

2. buffalobills716 says: Feb 16, 2013 7:54 PM

Not a Lions fan,but God bless u 4 ur loyalty. I know Lions fans will always remember u in their heart

3. papacrick says: Feb 16, 2013 7:55 PM

22 years straight with the same team is an amazing accomplishment and worthy of HOF consideration. With that said, please come back for a 23rd season it’d be a shame for the Lions to lose their one constant over the ups and downs (mostly downs) of the last two decades

4. seanx40 says: Feb 16, 2013 7:57 PM

I am sure his accountant, and wife, will explain that he can still make a few million dollars by coming back.

5. cubano76 says: Feb 16, 2013 7:58 PM

Hats off to anyone who can stick in the NFL for that long.

6. goldenperspective says: Feb 16, 2013 8:47 PM

If you can still kick at an NFL level, come back. You can always return to normal life, but when the NFL window closes, it’s closed. The grass is always greener…..

7. yelix says: Feb 16, 2013 9:07 PM

He was there for their one playoff win in the last 50 years, and the only 0-16 season in NFL history. He’s seen the absolute best and worst of Lions football.

8. cfballfan1 says: Feb 16, 2013 9:12 PM

True pro & a great Lion. I for one hope he’s back in 2013. If not – next stop Canton.

9. EJ says: Feb 16, 2013 9:13 PM

It is awesome that he has been able to spend 21 years in the NFL and on top of that all with the same team. I bet he could easily write a book on all of the things he has seen over the years, possibly two. The players he has played with from Barry Sanders to Charlie Batch, from Joey Harrington to Calvin Johnson and all the way to Ndamukong Suh. What a career!

10. fievel03 says: Feb 16, 2013 9:41 PM

He is still producing at a quality and consistent level. Kicker is not an easy position to fill. Come back, Jason.

11. lennydpocketqb says: Feb 16, 2013 10:07 PM

He should get some sort of award. 21 years and this is the first press I’ve ever seen on the guy. Did he play in every game?

12. handsofsweed says: Feb 16, 2013 10:12 PM

The remarkable part is that this guy had one of the 3 best years of his career at age 42. He’s still very able to hit from 50 plus and he put up 134 points!

Clearly, he is still very, very valuable.

13. trapshoot says: Feb 16, 2013 10:15 PM

Amazing the way he’s lasted. Even more amazing all with one team.

14. seattlelion says: Feb 16, 2013 10:17 PM

Actually, the Lions only playoff win came in 1991 against the Dallas Cowboys. Hanson was drafted for the following season. I would love for JH to come back and for the team to play all out for him just to at least let him win a playoff game.

15. ricardocabeza says: Feb 16, 2013 10:34 PM

It’s no surprise a good kicker could last 22 years with the lions. Until last two years he was probably better preserved than a lawnmower at the Silverdome. How hard could it have been to kick off once in either half, warm up for a couple long field goals and then sit down to a cool gatorade? Punters? Good for two years or so.

16. mikewhorio says: Feb 16, 2013 10:34 PM

Pretty amazing that the Lions have used only 2 kickers since 1980. 2 kickers in 33 seasons!

17. seattlelion says: Feb 16, 2013 10:40 PM

Rayner was used when Hanson was hurt a few years ago…and Suh tried to kick an extra point once…and missed.

18. Soulman45 says: Feb 16, 2013 10:47 PM

Come back and play another year for
    THE GREAT DETROIT LIONS

19. hauts81 says: Feb 16, 2013 11:19 PM

21 seasons with the Lions. Dude should write a book.

20. mackcarrington says: Feb 17, 2013 12:13 AM

Guaranteed that as soon as he quits, the Lions will become a dynasty !!

21. mackcarrington says: Feb 17, 2013 12:19 AM

yelix says:
    Feb 16, 2013 9:07 PM
    ———————————-
    Actually, and unfortunately, the best of Lions football was in the early 50′s with Bobby Layne and Doak Walker.

22. mjkelly77 says: Feb 17, 2013 12:22 AM

yelix says:Feb 16, 2013 9:07 PM

________________

Not there for the best … the Lions won NFL Championships in 1935, 1952, 1953 and 1957. They weren’t called Super Bowls back then but that’s essentially what they were and they represent the best of Lions football.

23. johnnycash19 says: Feb 17, 2013 2:09 AM

Don’t know of any other fan base that when the team gets inside the 35, they already KNOW they got at least 3 points.

Hanson is the man! I hope he sticks around. How cool would it be to get him a ring?

24. patsdrukker says: Feb 17, 2013 3:36 AM

Drafted in the second round? Pretty high for a kicker!

25. completefan says: Feb 17, 2013 7:27 AM

Lui Passaglia had a 25-year career as a placekicker with the B.C. Lions. So Jason probably still has a few seasons left in him.

26. hotkarlsandwich says: Feb 17, 2013 9:08 AM

Keep Tecmo Super Bowl Alive!!!

27. iminyrhead says: Feb 17, 2013 4:45 PM

You have to feel for the guy. Hanson and the Lions remind me of Bill Murray and Groundhog Day, Every day is the same and has been for the past 22 years.

Seems as though the Lions have drafting for the kicker position down to a science. If they can use their kicker drafting strategy though out their draft …. LOOK OUT!!

28. bigmikeatl says: Mar 12, 2013 1:59 PM

He’s money for another year or two at least. The Lions would be smart to bring him back and sign/draft a punter that can handle kickoffs.

Hanson can still it from inside 55.