Kiffin knows Cowboys are on a one-year plan

Monte Kiffin AP

The Cowboys are hopeful about the Monte Kiffin era, but the simple fact they’ve had so much turnover at defensive coordinator makes you wonder how successful he’ll be able to be.

The 72-year-old Kiffin became the Cowboys’ fifth defensive coordinator since the beginning of the 2007 season, leading head coach Jason Garrett to an interesting choice of words.

We’ve settled on Monte Kiffin, and I use the word ‘settled’ and I kind of laugh to myself,” Garrett said, via Charean Williams of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram. “This guy has coordinated this style of defense as well as anybody in the National Football League for the last couple of decades.”

Of course, Kiffin doesn’t have a Warren Sapp on this roster, and is changing established 3-4 personnel to a 4-3 set, for a coach that doesn’t particularly have a mandate.

“We hope we can get there as quick as we can — as quick as we can get there,” Kiffin said. “This isn’t like three-year plan right here. I don’t think we had that wherever we went. I don’t care where you coach. All I can tell you is there are no guarantees. I just tell you right now these guys are going to get coaching.”

If this Cowboys offseason has taught us anything, there’s little security for any of them, so those results better come quickly.

Permalink 18 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Dallas Cowboys, Home, Rumor Mill
18 Responses to “Kiffin knows Cowboys are on a one-year plan”
  1. buffalobills716 says: Feb 16, 2013 5:11 PM

I dont care as long as he not coaching my Bills

2. fuglyflorio says: Feb 16, 2013 5:14 PM

Every year they’re on a 1 year plan. Unfortunately it’s ‘dog years’.

3. cowboyfan4life says: Feb 16, 2013 5:14 PM

First! Joking, anyways, he knows what he is doing!

4. logicalvoicesays says: Feb 16, 2013 5:20 PM

Here’s the plan for the next 14 years : Lose twice to the Redskins anually and end 3rd/4th in the division.

5. fishfiletkray says: Feb 16, 2013 5:59 PM

He doesn’t have Derrick Brooks or John Lynch either.

6. ripster65 says: Feb 16, 2013 6:14 PM

Well of course they are. When aren’t they? Has anyone ever gotten the feeling that they were “building for the future”?

7. kingpel says: Feb 16, 2013 6:26 PM

Everyone needs to get results ASAP except for the handpicked puppet Garrett who gets years to fall on his face.

Enjoy another losing season as the sand slips through the hour glass on your elite player’s careers. I cant wait until Jerry has to rebuild this team. No doubt he will have to bring someone in to bail him out for a THIRD time.

8. mackcarrington says: Feb 16, 2013 7:12 PM

Kiffin is on a one-year plan because may not have 3 more years left.

9. dallascowboysdishingthereal says: Feb 16, 2013 7:16 PM

Garrett and the whole staff are on a short leash. Make the playoffs next year or bust.

10. cometkazie says: Feb 16, 2013 7:22 PM

I would like to see the Cowboys competitive again, despite my lack of any sort of respect for their owner.

Good luck, Monte.

11. depleted00uranium00balth says: Feb 16, 2013 7:26 PM

I think by laughing at “settled” he is just trying to say that Kiffin is so good that they are glad to have him, they didn’t just “settle” for him. It doesn’t mean he expects it to be a short term arrangement.

12. chattanola says: Feb 16, 2013 7:31 PM

“We’ve settled on Monte Kiffin, and I use the word ‘settled’ and I kind of laugh to myself,…” because we were unable to convince any other coaches that coming to Dallas was a great career move, so we “settled on Monte Kiffin.

13. pksullivanmph says: Feb 16, 2013 8:04 PM

Go Monte!!!!!! Love to see the “mature gentlemen” get a chance. Remember Marv Levy.

14. romosrevenge says: Feb 16, 2013 8:40 PM

Well we know Garrett is on a one year plan, his second chance with a new staff. So if Garrett’s bounced, it’s conceivable the incoming HC will want his own OC and DC. (As long as Jer approves.)

15. romospersonalsnuggie says: Feb 16, 2013 11:04 PM

Bruce Carter and Sean Lee will have big years

16. apmechanic says: Feb 17, 2013 1:26 AM

How about coaching these boys to stay healthy. Defensive players should always stay balanced. The injuries are almost always due to players trying to do something more than what they can. Teach this: A man’s got to know his limitations.
    They came close to making the playoffs even with all those injuries. I can see them winning a playoff game if they stay healthy.

17. nokoolaidcowboy says: Feb 17, 2013 7:20 AM

Garrett is the HC in title only. Jones wants to see what Kiffin can do before turning the keys over to him. Jerry is all about puppet HCs.

But Coach Kiffin will soon learn that this a young man’s game. Especially with these knuckleheads.

18. marylandcowboy says: Feb 18, 2013 5:19 PM

Is it just me or has anybody else noticed that the Cowboys have not been competitive ever since they reinstated the salary cap. The last time they won a championship was when ole JJ was allowed to buy an all star team. I have been a boys fan for 30 years but when everybody is on a level playing field Jerry cannot put a winning team on the field.