Vick tries to turn the page on criticism of teammates

Michael Vick AP

Lost in the surprising decision of Eagles quarterback Mike Vick to return to the team at a sharply reduced rate for 2013 is the fact that, when the 2012 season ended, Vick seemed to have had enough of his teammates in Philly.

He complained publicly at the time, saying that the lack of effort from other players “pisses [him] off.”

On Saturday, he tried to reconcile those remarks with his decision to play with those players for at least one more year during an appearance on 97.5 The Fanatic in Philly.

“I talked to about 15, 16 of my teammates already,” Vick told the radio station. “They know me as a person.  They know me as a competitor.  I wasn’t pointing the finger at one person.  It would have been easy to just point out one group of guys or a couple individuals who I thought could have played better, but I said that including myself.”

But he didn’t include himself when he was criticizing his teammates.  Instead, he singled himself out as the one player who went above and beyond for the cause.

“I give 110 percent effort,” Vick said.  “My body is scarred up all year.  I’m hurt, I’m bruised, get up after every hit and still try and fight and push.  I do that for my coaches.  I do that for my teammates.  And I would expect the same thing in return. . . .

“It’s all about focus, dedication and commitment,” Vick added while he was cleaning out his locker the day after the Eagles lost 11 of 12 games to finish the year 4-12.  “Until you get guys who are willing to better themselves week in and week out and want to win, you’re not going to win.  And I haven’t played with guys like that.”

And now he’s playing with those guys again.  Good luck with that.

Permalink 37 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Philadelphia Eagles, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
37 Responses to “Vick tries to turn the page on criticism of teammates”
  1. jrebar88 says: Feb 16, 2013 8:08 PM

I hope the eagles right tackle lets him get demolished.

2. rlimpert says: Feb 16, 2013 8:08 PM

Florio just can’t let his WVU-fan hatred of Vick go. Pathetic.

3. buffalobills716 says: Feb 16, 2013 8:17 PM

I wish u were playing 4 Buffalo Bills…. #gobills

4. nomoreseasontix says: Feb 16, 2013 8:26 PM

And another inept, mistake filled season from Vick is on the way…

5. paulz624 says: Feb 16, 2013 8:32 PM

I don’t know why Vick feels he has to apologize to anybody, he was 100% right! their was a lot of players who totally gave up and went through the motions this past year, you can say anything negative you want about Vick but when hes on that field he gives 100% and has every right to criticize those who don’t .

6. aaronmushrush says: Feb 16, 2013 8:35 PM

Die-hard Eagles fan and know the team inside and out and Mike was right and those boys…not men…boys who quit on last year. Certain members of the team saved their careers by playing till the final whistle while others clearly quit. Mike wasn’t doing a lick of bad by telling the truth. New year. New mentality.

7. numberoneinthehoodg says: Feb 16, 2013 8:37 PM

Or narcissists, you decide.

8. TheWizard says: Feb 16, 2013 8:39 PM

If what he said was true, and judging by the won/loss record it was, he has nothing to regret or apologize for.

Don’t put me in the position of having to agree with Michael Vick.

9. samdoggnl says: Feb 16, 2013 8:39 PM

If the way he played last year was giving 110% I would hate to see him play with “the lack of effort” he labled his teammates. Better have Tebow swing by and put the hands of Jeeezus on him.

10. jimbo75025 says: Feb 16, 2013 8:42 PM

So Vick realized that Philly was his last/best chance to start again with Kelly’s offense.

Sorry Ookie, but you are ust not that fast anymore and God knows throwing was never your strong suit.

11. tdubdizzle says: Feb 16, 2013 8:44 PM

Michael Vick is going to have a better year with Chip Kelly then any other coach in his career,

12. thesportsguy52 says: Feb 16, 2013 8:45 PM

I’m a Ravens fan with no horse In this race. This as close to a nonissue or non-story as you can find. If everyone buys into what the new coach is selling, things like this will be laughed about internally.

13. vavikingfan says: Feb 16, 2013 8:46 PM

Tell us about your focus, dedication and commitment in Atlanta.

14. marvsleezy says: Feb 16, 2013 8:50 PM

Call me crazy, but if you criticize a bunch of really bad teammates on a losing team ….Isn’t that called Leadership??

15. eagles83 says: Feb 16, 2013 8:52 PM

It’s never Vicks fault, never. It’s always the other 52 guys. No way it can be the guy who fumbles and throws INTs at an historic rate. Can’t wait until this jerk is off this team.

16. 666foles says: Feb 16, 2013 8:56 PM

For everybody that bashes Vick he sure has some good word selection for the media at least: “It’s all about focus, dedication and commitment” . But yeah hopefully most of those players he was talking about, Namdi and DRC, are hopefully gone. No sweat for Vick

17. johnnyoclock says: Feb 16, 2013 8:56 PM

I think the only reason he is back is that cerebral Chip Kelly wants to use this year to begin to create what will be his NFL offense. Vick will supply the mobile idea everyone is expecting.

You then have Foles who is opposite of Vick, and I think Kelly will mix and match, see what works, what he likes, and use this year to decide if he wants the runner and to go full blown Oregon offense, or is he wants to take elements of that and combine it with tradition, and use Foles for that part and create something new and only based on his Oregon offense rather than just using the same playbook.

Then he’ll take what he likes, create a new offense and get his starter next offseason. I think this year is basically kindergarten using Vick and Foles as guinea pigs to see what Kelly ends up liking. Then the real stuff begins in ’14.

18. eagleswin says: Feb 16, 2013 8:59 PM

“It’s all about focus, dedication and commitment,” Vick added while he was cleaning out his locker the day after the Eagles lost 11 of 12 games to finish the year 4-12. “Until you get guys who are willing to better themselves week in and week out and want to win, you’re not going to win. And I haven’t played with guys like that.”

And now he’s playing with those guys again. Good luck with that.

—————————-

I thought Vick said it was all about prayer earlier this offseason. Wasn’t prayer going to get him through the upcoming year?

Also quoted by Vick last year : ““I’m not going to tell a grown man anything twice,” said Vick, who called a players only meeting that did little to cure the malaise. “The reason I ended up incarcerated was because people told me the same thing over and over again and I didn’t listen. I feel like if you don’t learn on the first go-around then you’re just disregarding it, so you deal with the consequences.”

Now another quote from the interview that Florio posted an excerpt from :

“I am going to train the way I train, I’m not going to change anything. I’m going to be who I am and I’m not going to change. I think everybody just has to accept it. I am going to put in all the hard work to be the best player I can be, but it’s not just about me. It’s about team, it’s about unity, it’s about everybody playing together. That’s the only way I’m going to win.”

In one quote he’s saying how he got in trouble previously by not listening to what he was told over and over. In the second quote he say’s he has to be himself no matter what anyone else says or HE won’t win.

19. vinceofdarkness says: Feb 16, 2013 9:03 PM

Resigning this dog is a big mistake!!! To this point the only move of Kelly’s that I disagree with.

20. eagleswin says: Feb 16, 2013 9:09 PM

marvsleezy says:
    Feb 16, 2013 8:50 PM

——————————

Leadership also requires a realistic assessment of self as well. As best i can tell none of it is his fault in his mind, it’s all everyone else’s fault.

Also, a leader would’ve made specific criticisms about individual players rather than throwing everyone under the bus except himself. His remarks seemed more self centered (narcissist) than legitimate.

21. cliffordc05 says: Feb 16, 2013 9:11 PM

This epitomizes why Vick is not a leader. He has tremendous physical ability but seems to lack that certain indefinable quality that the best quarterbacks possess; leadership. Vick makes statements at various times that he later must retract. It is the single quality/character flaw that most defines his inability to lead a championship team.

22. fuglyflorio says: Feb 16, 2013 9:12 PM

The Dream Team is such fun.

23. joebloww says: Feb 16, 2013 9:35 PM

Let he who has never drowned an animal cast the first stone.

24. raiderapologist says: Feb 16, 2013 9:39 PM

If anyone can spot a guy that isn’t pulling his weight, it would be Vick. He’s been that guy.

25. themackstrong says: Feb 16, 2013 10:05 PM

I watched a few Eagles games & those players gave up on Reid in games. Giants game at of season- that team checked out at kickoff. Plus Redskins game there was 0 effort. Yet the article is trying to paint it like he is the jerk for saying what everybody knows.

26. dawglb says: Feb 16, 2013 10:16 PM

Mike, maybe you wouldn’t be so banged up and having to give “110%” on the field, if you would give 100% in the film room. Your off-field work habits have declined since McNabb hasn’t been around to help you be a better student. That is a fact.

27. ajpay1 says: Feb 16, 2013 10:27 PM

“My body is scarred up all year. I’m hurt, I’m bruised, get up after every hit and still try and fight and push. I do that for my coaches.

Sounds like what your PitBulls did for you as you coached them to destroy another living animal! PitBulls will do whatever is asked on them! The difference is – you get paid millions to play a game – what did you pay those beautiful animals?

28. rg3sus says: Feb 16, 2013 10:37 PM

You can’t deny he gives 100% on game day. The problem is he doesn’t give 100% on practice days. Word is he’s last in, first out, and complains about team mates. That’s why he never progressed to an elite QB. You have to work harder than anyone else in the team to be a successful franchise QB. A La Tom Brady or Peyton Manning

29. CKL says: Feb 17, 2013 3:03 AM

Real leaders spread praise publicly and single themselves out for criticism publicly. When they have concerns with teammates effort, etc., they address that privately only. He’s no leader, never has been, never will be.

30. myeaglescantwin says: Feb 17, 2013 9:45 AM

You guys don’t get it..

Maybe you weren’t watching eagles football last year. There were about 10 players on that team that showed heart. 4 of which went on IR.
    Like it or not, mike vick gives 100% effort every play.
    This man strives to win and puts himself on the line any chance he can.
    That type of commitment is enviable in todays NFL.

31. ndrick731 says: Feb 17, 2013 11:01 AM

Gee for a guy that makes the exact same mistakes every week and never learns you would think that he would stop bragging. This year will show once and for all that he is washed up.

32. clu1perceiver says: Feb 17, 2013 11:12 AM

Unfortunately, Vick’s 2013 100% is not as great as it was in 2006. His mental approach to the game has always been suspect. Chip Kelly is not beholden to Vick and will hold him to a higher standard than Andy Reid.

33. bubbybrister/shovelpass says: Feb 17, 2013 3:53 PM

When Mike talked about his teammates, he should’ve just let ‘sleeping dogs lie’…

34. chiefnofoldem says: Feb 17, 2013 4:41 PM

I really wish he would stop talking. So he is telling us that he is giving it all he has when he plays. Well has anyone asked the question that perhaps all he has is not good enough. It was not good enough in 2012 and it was not good enough in 2011 when the Eagles had a good offensive line.

Just because Vick is mobile does not mean he is a fit in Chip Kelly’s offense. Philadelphia has seen what Vick can do and for the past 2 years it simply not good enough.
    This year for the Eagles is not about winning but rather rebuilding. The Eagles need to basically start over with their defense. This is why I do not understand bring back Vick.
    Peter King believes that the Kelly offense will mirror the offensive of the 90 Bills which was a more up tempo/fast pace offense. I really wish they would let Foles start this season as I believe that he can atleast run that offensive. I have no idea if Foles can play or not based off of 7 games. My point is that if you play him then you can’t lose. He is either your QB of the future or you will most likely be so bad that you will be able to have a high draft pick for next year which from what I heard should be a better QB class then this year.

35. chiefnofoldem says: Feb 17, 2013 4:43 PM

Has anyone reported or has their been a rumors of any teams wanting Vick? That would be no. Not even the Jets who’s has the Eagles former offensive coordinator. Not the Chief’s were Reid is the Coach.

Should that tell you something about Vick.

36. ctmo20 says: Feb 18, 2013 2:08 AM

You guys forgetting this guy with a offensive line, was mvp runner up. 2 years in prison for dog fighting was black and white as it possibly could be, No way Manning or Brady goes away for 2 yrs. He will be just fine. Fire them sorry a** corners who couldn’t cover a pop Warner wr and then would 12 a better season. Excuse me how many leads were blown in 2k11?? The problem is the o line and the dbs. Fix that and hell ill be a successful quarter back for them. Mark Sanchez sucks but they ain’t throw anding him under the bus. Please spare me and let Kelly do what hes been hired to do. What was Eli or his brothers problem this year. ??? Damn if a black quarter back who was successful in college who’s drafted high don’t make immediate success or win a super bowl he may be out the league in two years. Rg3 has a coach who lets him use what God gave him so does Are coach with Kolin? Any one remember Louisville coach who was on his way to coach Vick because of Vicks skill set.? Why u think he resigned as soon as Vick got locked up? Call a spade a damn spade. Btw if he sucked that bad , the eagles would have traded him regardless. I say they win the division and put up a strong bid for the nfc championship!

37. kelz1966kelz1966 says: Feb 19, 2013 9:18 AM

He was just as guilty as the team mates he called out for quitting on the team.
    Reid finally had enough of his half ass effort and replaced him with Trent Edwards in the last game.
    He is an embarrassment to the team. He is a quitter, and will never be looked to as a leader in the locker room, no matter what the players may say in public.
    He was not better than McNabb before he went to prison, he did not improve, the 2 years he was away, and has done nothing but decline in the last 2 years. He cannot read defenses and he does not make good football decisions under pressure. It has nothing to do with his race. It has everything to do with the man. He was very good, but never great, and he has seen better days. Send him to San Fran to back up Kapernic.