Clady says he’s not OK with being tagged, but not offended, either

hi-res-154450695_crop_exact Getty Images

The Broncos have said that tackle Ryan Clady will be given the franchise tag, if the two sides don’t work out a long-term deal.

He doesn’t like it, but he understands it.

I don’t think it’s a sign of disrespect,” Clady told Josina Anderson of ESPN.  “I just think it’s kind of part of the business.  Am I okay with it?  No.  But it’s not like I’m out on the streets right now.  I know I will have a job at least for one more year so, I’m still good.  I would like to have long-term security in Denver, but if I don’t get anything done before the deadline then who knows?”

What we do know is that Clady reportedly turned down a five-year, $50 million deal last year.  Which means that, to get a long-term deal done now, a lot more than the one-year franchise tag for offensive linemen will be needed.

Complicating the situation is the fact that Clady is recovering from a torn rotator cuff that he suffered on December 23.  Clady tells Anderson it’s a five-to-six month rehab process.

The Broncos likely will want to confirm that Clady has fully recovered before signing him to a long-term deal.  Even then, there’s no guarantee the two sides will come to an agreement.

Since he’s not under contract, Clady can stay away from all offseason workouts, training camp, and the preseason.  He can show up days before the start of the regular season, sign the offer, and receive the full amount of the $9.6 million franchise tender.

Permalink 20 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Denver Broncos, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
20 Responses to “Clady says he’s not OK with being tagged, but not offended, either”
  1. niko0063 says: Feb 18, 2013 9:17 PM

Poor guy

2. dawglb says: Feb 18, 2013 9:28 PM

The poor guy. Don’t disrespect him like that!
    Ya know, because after taxes, it’s ONLY like 6 million A YEAR!!! He needs long term stability!! How is he supposed to raise a family on that?!?!?

3. siknutty says: Feb 18, 2013 9:43 PM

He is one of the best tackles in the game. Pay the man!!

4. rushbacker says: Feb 18, 2013 9:45 PM

Come on, man. You should have known it was going to be that way once you got hurt. I’m sure the Broncos would also prefer to lower your cap number by doing a long-term deal, but that can’t happen now– unless you feel like taking an incentive-heavy deal, which I doubt. Otherwise you’ll have to prove that you’re healthy. No one wants to hear about how you’re not okay making ten million or whatever it is this year. Be a pro and go about your business, and the contract will happen soon enough.

5. raynman49 says: Feb 18, 2013 9:47 PM

I hope you realize this is why the working stiff can’t go to games anymore. I’ll take 1 mil and I’m set for life. Greed!

6. skoobyfl says: Feb 18, 2013 9:53 PM

I’m shedding no tears here.

7. illadelphiasphinest says: Feb 18, 2013 10:12 PM

Seriously professional athletes are spoiled and insanly overpayed. They play a game n serve absolutly no signifigant contribution to socity.

8. eventhorizon04 says: Feb 18, 2013 10:26 PM

dawglb says: Feb 18, 2013 9:28 PM

“Give me 6 million (one time, not 6 million each year), and my family (each member) would never have to work another day in their lives.”

Well, if you want that money, you should develop a skill that an employer would voluntarily give you $6 million for.

9. jtp32 says: Feb 18, 2013 10:42 PM

Clary never inferred that he is being disrespected. In fact, he said the opposite. If you are at the top of your game in a sport that literally shortens your life then you should try to get every penny you can.

Just because dawglb and his family can live forever on six million (once and before taxes) doesn’t mean that Clady needs to take less money.

10. sowcrates says: Feb 18, 2013 11:03 PM

Nobody ever wants to take less than they have to, if they’ve earned the right to more. Stop thinking about the raw dollar amount and start thinking about how one player wants to compare himself and his success to the others who work the same job as him.

If Ryan Clady thinks he’s closer to Joe Thomas or any of the other top LTs in the league – and he is, when he’s not had injury problems – he has every reason to want to be paid closer to their levels.

11. nfl4days says: Feb 18, 2013 11:32 PM

If you think you can live the rest of your life off a few million, go ask all those people who won the lottery how that worked out. Who won HUNDREDS of millions of dollars. People always think they can do better in something theyve never done, until they actuall do it. And if you think sports have no benefit on society youre very near sighted and moronic.

12. handsomepatrick says: Feb 18, 2013 11:43 PM

I am so tired of people blasting players for the money they make. If the market bears that kind of salary by all means get as much as you can good sir. I can’t stand the broncos but i wont rip clady for wanting to get what his true NFL value is. These are elite athletes, who have very little job security. Get what you can. Just like any job your pay depends on what the market for your services are willing to pay. Football players = Millions. Janitors + 9 bucks an hour. such is life.

13. mputelli55 says: Feb 18, 2013 11:59 PM

How bout paying firefighters and cops more..not millions, just enough so they can go see a freakin game and sustain decent lives for their families…hmmm getting shot at, and running into burning buildings…avg.$30,000 athletes knocking the crap out of other athletes, granted its no cake job…multi MILLIONS…right..and you wonder why china’s pissed??

14. jessethegreat says: Feb 19, 2013 12:08 AM

I won’t be greedy… Just toss me 2 million. At only 3% I’d feel quite comfortable living on $60,000 a year. Wouldn’t be an extravagant life, but I’m pretty sure I could make do.

15. boogerhut says: Feb 19, 2013 1:08 AM

nfl4days says: Feb 18, 2013 11:32 PM

————————————————————–
    The fact of the matter is, 90% of Americans will never earn 6MIL. In their LIFE. TOTAL. If you couldn’t make do and be comfortable with that, let alone 100’s of millions in the lottery then you must have a heck of a coke problem combined with a gambling addiction.

16. joetoronto says: Feb 19, 2013 4:26 AM

He “turned down a five-year, $50 million deal last year” and he’s not happy about getting tagged this year.

I’m sorry but I just can’t feel sorry for the guy.

17. fuglyflorio says: Feb 19, 2013 6:18 AM

Such disrespect. He should chuck it all. I hear Piggly Wiggly is hiring.

18. dirtdawg54 says: Feb 19, 2013 6:50 AM

Clary gave a honest answer. A more honest one, though, would have been “I turned down long-term security for a chance at even more money and then I got hurt, so this is how it rolls.”

He was given a fair offer last year that would have given him long-term security. He said no, because he’s looking for more than long-term security. He wants to earn as much as he can. I don’t begrudge him. However, he – like so many people on the planet – aren’t always honest about their intentions or gracious about the decisions they make.

19. packerman1968 says: Feb 19, 2013 7:07 AM

mputelli55 says:
    Feb 18, 2013 11:59 PM

Where do you live? My friends that are firemen and policemen. Make more then 50K a year. Not in your first year. But it does not take long. Not to menion they get lots of FREE tickets to local games.

20. Nickstixx says: Feb 19, 2013 12:01 PM

Elway and the rest of the front office are doing the correct move here in all business sense.
    The Broncos offered Clady a 5 year 50 million dollar contract last year and he turned it down.
    So then we tag him this year and aren’t paying him 10 million, like we offered before. Good deal right?
    Then we can tag him AGAIN next year and he will then make top 3 money. Which is what Denver offered him in the first place!
    If you ask me, Clady is the one that made the dumb move and he brought the tag upon himself. Bad move on his part.
    Hope that shoulder surgery went well Clady. I like having an elite LT on the team and all, but the contract offered to him was very fair.
    Now the Broncos can essentially just pay him for two years and see how his body is holding up by that point. THEN talk contract extensions after that.
    Elway continues to show he can run this team the right way.