Kaepernick shuns spotlight to start offseason work

The 55th Annual GRAMMY Awards - Pre-GRAMMY Gala And Salute To Industry Icons Honoring L.A. Reid - Backstage Getty Images

Colin Kaepernick had chances to go to the Oscars and the Grammys, to appear on Jay Leno or write books.

But the 49ers quarterback is spending the first few weeks of his offseason hitting the gym instead of the red carpet.

According to Matt Barrows of the Sacramento Bee, Kaepernick headed to Atlanta to work out at a training facility there, the same place he prepared for the 2011 draft.

Aaron Roberts of CES Performance said there are around 50 college kids there working out, along with 12 NFL veterans.

“A few of our veterans are easing into it,” Roberts said. “Colin, of course, is here all day, every day.”

Roberts said Kaepernick chose to work out with the offensive linemen, because of their reputation for early hours and intense work.

Kaepernick took a week after the Super Bowl and made a few appearances (including one at the Cartoon Network’s Hall of Game Awards), but has since poured himself back into preparing for a season that’s seven months away.

“The highest priority right now is to keep it normal,” his marketing representative Shawn Smith said. “He just wants to be normal. He just wants to train.”

Kaepernick’s head-down approach was evident in his late-season play, as the game never seemed too big for him. Now that he no longer has the element of surprise on his side, he’s putting in the hours to build on the early results.

Permalink 34 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill, San Francisco 49ers
34 Responses to “Kaepernick shuns spotlight to start offseason work”
  1. niners816 says: Feb 18, 2013 10:25 AM

I was skeptical when Colin went in for Smith, and I do believe Smith was done wrong. I hope he gets a shot to be a staryer somewhere. I’m a believer in Colin now. It’ll be interesting to see what he can do in a full season. The kids heart and physical attributes are there. I think he will get even better going into the offseason knowing he’s the starter and having gone to the superbowl. Go Niners!

2. fuglyflorio says: Feb 18, 2013 10:33 AM

Shouldn’t “write books” be better phrased “put your name on books someone else writes”?

3. humb0lt says: Feb 18, 2013 10:34 AM

Kaepernick is the only 49ers QB to lose the Super Bowl. He is also the only 49ers QB to throw an INT in the Super Bowl.

4. whitdog23 says: Feb 18, 2013 10:36 AM

total PR move before asking for “starters contract”. who trains like a madman right after grueling season with 7 months to go

5. CKL says: Feb 18, 2013 10:37 AM

There are just a handful of players I would tune in just to watch. He’s one of them. I haven’t seen anything in his personality that would lead me to believe he will be a “1 year wonder”. It’s so refreshing to see how many of these young QBs (2yrs in and fewer) really seem to have the maturity and work ethic you love to see.

6. anthonyjnovelli says: Feb 18, 2013 10:43 AM

Cool, run an non option legitmate style nfl offense then get credit you may deserve

7. illinininer says: Feb 18, 2013 10:45 AM

I hope Jenkins is with him!

8. kane337 says: Feb 18, 2013 10:46 AM

He should start working on that red zone efficiency.

9. hehateme2 says: Feb 18, 2013 10:48 AM

I think he is shunning the spotlight due to being a weird looking dude.

10. billsfaninmiami says: Feb 18, 2013 10:49 AM

And the Bufalo Bills passed on him.
    Mmmph..

11. sixjak says: Feb 18, 2013 10:50 AM

Good for him.

12. cags777 says: Feb 18, 2013 10:50 AM

Good for him! I enjoy reading occasional stories of NFL athletes trying to better themselves in the offseason instead of partying, shooting commercials, and living lavish lifestyles while holding out for bigger contracts. Treat him right, 49ers, and he’ll do wonders for your organization.

13. giants56 says: Feb 18, 2013 10:59 AM

I like his attitude! This kid is going to give us fits for years to come.

14. billb49 says: Feb 18, 2013 11:06 AM

Almost two years ago when Jim Harbaugh was talking about Kaepernick, he said he was “all ball.” He was right. Kaepernick is all about the game. 6’5″, 235 lbs, fast as lightening, rocket arm, poise in the pocket, and cool-headed in the game – I think he’s got the right stuff. And Harbaugh knows quarterbacks. Years ago, when he was a talent evaluating assistant for the Raiders, his advice to them was to take Tony Romo in the second round. Romo wasn’t even drafted. The only reason he waited to move up in the second to draft Kaepernick is because he needed a pass rusher and he was pretty sure the rest of the league was going to whiff on Kaepernick just like they did on Romo.

15. tommyribs says: Feb 18, 2013 11:10 AM

I am a GIANTS fan, so of course I don’t like the 49ers, but I am a big fan of Kaepernick. He and Russel Wilson are two young QBs who I think are going to have a great Rivalry out there in the NFC West. They both have what it takes, and they have that ‘IT’ factor.

He just seems like he really is dialed in and at a young age just understands what it takes to be a winner and be great.

You had better believe that a lot of teams will be looking for the next Russel Wilson/Colin Kaepernick in this year’s draft.

16. lovefootball4life says: Feb 18, 2013 11:12 AM

He has scary good skills. Being a Ravens fan I think I held my breath for nearly every snap he took in the second half of the Super Bowl.

Compliments aside, I expected this kind of bromance article from Florio.

17. nfloracle says: Feb 18, 2013 11:22 AM

Think how good Cam Newton could be if he had this kind of attitude and work ethic.

Because of their work ethics and competitive spirits, I expect this kid and Harbaugh to end up with multiple rings.

18. mojosmagic says: Feb 18, 2013 11:25 AM

Refreshing story for a change.

19. josh7727 says: Feb 18, 2013 11:28 AM

if ure a niners fan that’s got to be extremely encouraging. Those are the types of values that brings home multiple titles. As a bears fan I can only sit back and wish I had a qb with that same focus and determination! Even though im a bears fan I’ll root for the kid!

20. baymac408 says: Feb 18, 2013 11:36 AM

Lets go Kaep!! Head down, keep it going sir! Awesome work ethic… Always working out and training before all!! If you watch Kaep in his rookie preseason you can tell he was raw.. Almost 2 years later and this man is fastly becoming one of the best! Kaep is the best choice to lead us to the future.. And our future is NOW.. Super Bowl win bound !! GO NINERS

21. freepretzels says: Feb 18, 2013 11:38 AM

Now that’s a great sign.

22. mazblast says: Feb 18, 2013 11:52 AM

He knows he hasn’t reached his maximum performance yet. It’s great to see a young player being so dedicated to his craft, and to see him not giving in to Being A Celebrity.

23. robert87653 says: Feb 18, 2013 12:39 PM

whitdog23 says:
    Feb 18, 2013 10:36 AM

You do realize that because of the new CBA, his contract can’t be changed for at least one more season? Thus, this isn’t a pr move.

24. lawrinson20 says: Feb 18, 2013 12:41 PM

Good attitude, but i hope he isn’t pursuing a ‘Tim Tebow-designed’ training regimen. The priority shouldn’t be on getting ‘huge’ for the sake of being bigger. Tebow’s model doesn’t work. By contrast, QBs like Montana, Manning, Manning, Brady, et al were never workout monsters. I’d rather see my QB take some physical time off, but re-engage quickly with the game film.

Good luck to him. He’s a compelling story, and on my To Watch list.

25. cosanostra71 says: Feb 18, 2013 12:58 PM

Love to see Kaep’s work ethic… this kid has a bright future, especially if he keeps working hard. I’m excited for next year, hopefully the 49ers can continue to improve!

26. asyoulay69 says: Feb 18, 2013 2:20 PM

Keep up the good work kid, go 9ers.

27. seacab1972 says: Feb 18, 2013 2:41 PM

Now he is shunning the spotlight. Maybe if he was a bit more focused prior to the SB San Fran might have another ring on their finger. Alas the dynasty will have to wait for awhile longer. Maybe if he just keeps kissing that bicep a little more they can get back again next year.

28. watchdawg1103 says: Feb 18, 2013 3:17 PM

I wish our QB Romo had this work ethic. He has talent but could be so much better if he focused like this. I wish Colin the best because I love seeing young players with the right attitude. The 49ers found a good one here. I hope other players young and old are taking notice.

29. thepasswordis12345 says: Feb 18, 2013 5:28 PM

Imagine if Tim Tebow wasn’t so busy being a celebrity and making appearances and putting in this kind of effort, maybe he’d be half the player he thinks he is.

30. ripster65 says: Feb 18, 2013 7:46 PM

It kills me how so many people refer to him as a rookie. Even ESPN and CBS Sports list him as a rookie. C’MON, MAN!

31. lstbrown says: Feb 19, 2013 2:13 PM

Kaepernick has a great work ethic no doubt, but don’t believe everything you read. Those opportunities were for IF the 49ers won the Super Bowl, but great way to spin the story.

He was NOT invited to the Oscars nor Grammys. You can ask representatives with BOTH the Recording Academy and Academy Awards. Notice Joe Flacco did The Late Show with Letterman because of the CBS affiliation. They wanted Super Bowl Champions.

32. ken49ers says: Feb 19, 2013 4:53 PM

Bright future and awesome work ethic. I’m proud this dude is our starter.

33. randallflagg52 says: Feb 22, 2013 6:50 AM

====================================

If you want to be perceived as normal, I would recommend not having a “marketing representative” on your payroll.

34. crosswords11 says: Nov 6, 2013 10:00 AM

Shunning the spotlight, maybe 3 letters . First, we gonna look for more hints to the Shunning the spotlight, maybe crossword puzzle . Then we will collect all the require information and for solving Shunning the spotlight, maybe crossword . In the final, we get all the possible answers for the this crossword puzzle definition.

Here are other similar crossword definitions:
    Far from a drama queen ,
    Like a wallflower ,