The media knows that former USC quarterback Matt Barkley won’t throw at the Scouting Combine. Today, teams will receive medical information from Dr. James Andrew to back up the apparent change of direction.
Per a source with knowledge of the situation, it’s indeed a medical decision. Barkley suffered a Grade 3 shoulder separation during the 2012 season, and he’s not ready to throw.
Whether it’s intentional or not, the move is being interpreted by at least one team as a “double down” on Barkley’s March 27 Pro Day. Still, the source is confident that Barkley will be bigger and have a stronger arm than anyone can imagine at his on-campus workout.
That said, there is some lingering confusion. The ESPN.com story from Adam Schefter says that, when Barkley recently discussed his plans for the Combine, “he really meant that he will get to interview with NFL teams looking to draft a franchise quarterback.” But when Barkley spoke last week on the issue, he reportedly said that he has been throwing and that he will throw at the Combine.
Still, if he hasn’t been cleared by his doctors to throw, he hasn’t been cleared by his doctors to throw. The decision, we’re told was made over the weekend, when the doctors decided it would be safer to wait, in order to ensure that there are no setbacks. Currently, Barkley is believed to be at 90 percent.
That said, doctors have a habit of applying whatever restrictions the patient wants them to apply.
Either way, it’ll all come down to Barkley’s Pro Day workout.