Alberto Riveron leaving referee post to become senior director of officials

Al Riveron, Daniel Te'o-Nesheim AP

The NFL recently named Dean Blandino as their new vice president of officiating and now they have a new senior director of officials as well.

Adam Schefter of ESPN reports that Alberto Riveron will give up his refereeing job to move into the off-field post. Riveron had been a referee since the 2008 season, moving up to the lead job after four years as a side judge.

Riveron gained some notoriety during the 2009 season when he incorrectly ruled that Jaguars wide receiver Mike Sims-Walker caught a touchdown that then-officiating head Mike Periera later said should have been ruled an incompletion. He worked a Wild Card game this year and was the referee for the AFC Championship Game in 2012 that saw the Patriots advance to the Super Bowl with a 23-20 win over the Ravens.

Former V.P. of officiating Carl Johnson is moving back to a referee job as the league’s first full-time official in 2013 in a reverse trip from office to field to the one Riveron is making.

Permalink 7 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill
7 Responses to “Alberto Riveron leaving referee post to become senior director of officials”
  1. upperdecker19 says: Feb 19, 2013 11:36 AM

Awful official. Sounds like they’re masking a demotion/firing with a cushy desk job instead.

2. gbatap says: Feb 19, 2013 11:40 AM

So one of the worst officials in the league, with very little experience, is becoming the director of officials? Yep, that sounds about right.

3. drbob117 says: Feb 19, 2013 11:41 AM

Wow, this guy wasn’t even an adequate ref, and now he’s the director. Peter principle at work.

4. kindasporty says: Feb 19, 2013 12:16 PM

I don’t think this guy was a good ref, but he was great on Fresh Prince of Bel Air

5. wheresmyjuice says: Feb 19, 2013 12:24 PM

This is actually a bummer as he was my favorite official. I cant really pass judgement on who was better or worse, but i always thought he had the most unique delivery of announcing calls.

Plus when the league was celebrating certain cultures, hed do the calls in Spanish!

I liked that guy. Good dude.

6. roadtrip3500 says: Feb 19, 2013 12:37 PM

Riveron was also the first referee to call a penalty entirely in Spanish for Hispanic Heritage Month.

As for how good a ref he was… I think last year showed us that the veteran “real officials” weren’t a whole lot better than the lockout replacements who only had a crash course in NFL rules.

7. voldermort1993 says: Feb 27, 2013 8:31 PM

Good luck Alberto. You were a great referee. I wish you could stay on the field as I liked your calls minus the Lee Evans drop in the endzone, which I thought was a TD. But I moved on from that! Buenas suerte!!!!!