Packers raise ticket prices

Laurie Larson AP

The Packers have a long waiting list for season tickets and are coming off their fourth straight year in the playoffs, so it is unsurprising that they have decided to raise ticket prices.

The team announced today that price increases will range from $2 to $5, which Packers President and CEO Mark Murphy says will keep the team around the NFL average ticket price.

“These increases will keep us at about the League average in terms of ticket price, which is our goal,” Murphy said in the letter to season ticket holders. “We want to be fair to the visiting teams in terms of shared revenue (visiting teams receive one-third of all ticket revenue), but also be as affordable as possible for you. This year, with the opening of the South End, we also wanted to ensure that the pricing for seats in the bowl was coordinated with the pricing for the new seating. We strive to provide value to all our ticket holders and are proud of the fact our gameday experience is consistently ranked first in the NFL. Ticket revenue also is an important resource in our effort to remain competitive in the NFL.”

Packers fans can be forgiven if they’re not too enthusiastic about the whole “be fair to the visiting teams” part of the price-hike justification: I’m sure every fan in Green Bay would be perfectly happy to pay less money for their tickets and be a little less “fair” to the Bears, Vikings and Lions. But the truth is, the Packers could get away with charging a lot more than the $74-$97 face value they’ll charge in 2013. There’s no doubt that Packers fans will continue to fill Lambeau Field, even if they have to spend more to do it.

Permalink 40 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Green Bay Packers, Home, Rumor Mill
40 Responses to “Packers raise ticket prices”
  1. zoellner25 says: Feb 19, 2013 12:35 PM

Visiting teams get 1/3 of game revenue? That’s seems insane to me. I guess that really helps out the Jacksonvilles and Arizonas of the world.

2. gbp567 says: Feb 19, 2013 12:38 PM

I gotta tell you as a season ticket holder, it is becoming a real struggle for people to buy those season tickets. GB is not NY, SF or Chicago, and most are from more modest income households. These ticket holders supported the team for decades. I really beleive that the management has lost touch with the ticket holders, have NO IDEA about the cost of the game day experience. I know people this year who waited YEARS to be eligible to buy season tickets, were chosen and now cannot afford to purchase them. The Packers may yet find a way to kill the Golden Goose!!!

3. stellarperformance says: Feb 19, 2013 12:42 PM

Whatever. As a long-term family-tiered season ticket holder, the gameday experience this past season was superb. The new sound system, the LED boards, the services, etc., all top-drawer. Everything goes up in price.

4. Stiller43 says: Feb 19, 2013 12:43 PM

We want to be fair to visiting teams?

Why do teams insist on BSing people? Just say “ticket prices are rising because we want to make more money.”

5. mtheparrothead says: Feb 19, 2013 12:43 PM

That jacksonville team that hasn’t blacked out in 3 years and averages 67 k? That one?

6. salventuri says: Feb 19, 2013 12:45 PM

The face value of NFL tickets is actually a bargain. What’s insane are those stubhub style after-market prices. $500 to see a Giants game for not exactly the best seat in the house is ridiculous.

But more insane than that is $500+ for lower level Yankees tickets when theres 82 home games compared to 8 for a NFL team.

And there’s enough crazy people, who really can’t afford to pay that lining up for them.

Not me.

7. usmutts says: Feb 19, 2013 12:56 PM

I live more than a thousand miles from
    Green Bay, but I snared a couple of tickets awhile back and made the trek. What a wonderful football experience. Sat with the cheeseheads. Saw the Lambeau Leap. The fans sitting around us were terrifically friendly and enjoyed our “accents.” My wife loved it even more than I did. She bought a game jersey. The Packers definitely don’t charge too much for tickets.

8. 15starr says: Feb 19, 2013 12:57 PM

I love Packer articles. You could write anything Packer and I would read it. Look at this article. It’s not like the Packers are the only team in the league to raise their ticket prices this year.

9. 15starr says: Feb 19, 2013 1:00 PM

Gbp567 – I wouldn’t mind taking your season tickets off your hands if they are too expensive. Just sell the opening day and Bear tickets and you got your money back.

10. yooperman says: Feb 19, 2013 1:04 PM

No one will give up their season tickets. I know one ticket holder with 4 tickets that takes his family to one game a year and sells the rest. He makes enough to go to the one game free and that includes parking, staying over night, and eating.

11. clayshair says: Feb 19, 2013 1:04 PM

They should raise prices more.

First, they have tens of thousands of people on a waiting list which implies that the price should be higher than it is.

Second, many season ticket holders now sell their tickets to secondary brokers who sell them for the actual market value which is around 50 to 100% higher.

Why shouldn’t the team get this revenue instead of allowing fans to arbitrage the tickets and allow more visiting team fans in the stadium?

12. justintuckrule says: Feb 19, 2013 1:05 PM

That statement deserves a monster size Keyshawn Cmon’ man. The card you play is that you want to be fair to opposing teams? I know GB fans buy pieces of paper thinking they now own the team but they’re not that dumb to believe a price hike is to be fair to visiting teams.

13. relux says: Feb 19, 2013 1:06 PM

I am 33 years old. After being on the season ticket waiting list for 32 years I was given the chance to purchase 4 season tickets this year.

I had to pass. To say its a struggle for those in Green Bay to continue to purchase these season tickets is an understatement. It would have costed me $9,600 for the seat license before I could even pay for the tickets.

Sad.

14. uwsptke says: Feb 19, 2013 1:06 PM

gbp567 says:
    Feb 19, 2013 12:38 PM

=====================

Hey buddy, if you don’t want those tickets just remember that you’ve got over 80,000 people like me waiting in line behind you that would gladly take them off your hands. They could double ticket prices and it would hardly make a dent in the waiting list.

15. Ponder This says: Feb 19, 2013 1:11 PM

Don’t all the owners get their own private suites?

16. purpleguy says: Feb 19, 2013 1:14 PM

Say what you want about the Packers, but from a comparative point of view, even with the uncomfortable bench-seating, their ticket prices are fair.

17. dukemarc says: Feb 19, 2013 1:21 PM

gbp567 says:
    Feb 19, 2013 12:38 PM
    —————————

Feel free to give them up then – there’s a (very) long list of people who’d be happy to have them.

18. claymath52 says: Feb 19, 2013 1:24 PM

gbp567 says:
    Feb 19, 2013 12:38 PM

___________________________________

What you’re really trying to say is that you don’t like that the team keeps the profits you are making. Most people in any market could not afford to attend every signle game and in GB the secondary market is huge. Go to half the games, sell the other half, and basically not have to pay a dime. I’d gladly take your tickets if they become too much of a financial burden.

19. paulcanavati says: Feb 19, 2013 1:28 PM

Vikings fan here. Going to Lambeau is a pretty unique experience as far as football games are concerned, and add to that all the additions they’ve done with the stadium makes it more than just a game experience. It’s a pretty special event, and if you love your team, the slight cost raise won’t bother you, especially since the Packers will probably be winning the North again next year anyways

20. thegreatgabbert says: Feb 19, 2013 1:37 PM

Murphy wants the fans to be willing to share with those less fortunate themselves. Like the Vikings, the Bears, and the Lions.

21. dwarftosser says: Feb 19, 2013 1:38 PM

@gbp657 – The averarge resale value of Packer Tickets is 235% of face value. If your friends who have been waiting “years” for tickets can’t afford to make more than double there investment and still go to 2 or 3 games a year than I don’t know what to tell you.. (other than they suck at handling money and will never be able to afford any tickets)

I’ve been on the waiting list for over 25 years for tickets, and I likely will never get them in my lifetime. I’m hopeful my daughters will get them if the stadium keeps expanding. That said, I still go to 2 games a year or so and spend an average of $350/ticket. I’ve always felt that Lambeau was worth every penny of admission price.

22. packers291 says: Feb 19, 2013 1:44 PM

gbp567 says:
    Feb 19, 2013 12:38 PM

============================

So, the group of people who can’t afford face value ticket prices represent a golden goose?

23. jaymo13 says: Feb 19, 2013 1:54 PM

relux says: Feb 19, 2013 1:06 PM

Sad.

_______________

And you’re probably an “owner” too.

Sad.

24. beedubyatoo says: Feb 19, 2013 1:56 PM

I had season tickets in GB for years, starting in 1961. Those tickets were about $6-$7 each. The tickets for the “Ice Bowl” at the end of the 1966 season were an outrageous $12 which I was happy to pay to freeze for 3 hrs. Although I didn’t attend, I think the tickets for the 1st SB in LA were under $20.

‘Course my job paid about $7500 annually then.

25. johnnycamparm says: Feb 19, 2013 2:03 PM

So the team that’s owned by the “fans” just raised ticket prices on themselves?… That sounds masochistic to me…

26. zoellner25 says: Feb 19, 2013 2:23 PM

Yeah, that Jacksonville/Arizona/Cleveland team. you know, the ones that suck and nobody wants to see play your team at home? Packer fans don’t want to see you, we want to see our team play.

27. bringbackwayne says: Feb 19, 2013 2:24 PM

Next year ….it’ll be a worthless stock sale, or a turf sale.

28. thejuddstir says: Feb 19, 2013 2:31 PM

It’s a real shame that all those Packer “owners” can’t afford to buy a game ticket. If I were an “owner” I would want my voice to be heard that the Board of Directors meetings on such important issues…..that’s right, the majority of the owners have no rights or say.

29. landof10000lakes says: Feb 19, 2013 2:33 PM

@ponder this.

LOLZ. Yeah, except there are no walls and just 1 aluminum bench to sit on.

30. EJ says: Feb 19, 2013 2:44 PM

mtheparrothead says: Feb 19, 2013 12:43 PM

Yeah, but in order to keep a blackout from happening, the Jaguars have to tarp over 10,000 seats and need extensions every other week. It would be all good if they were selling out 74,ooo+ every week, but they couldn’t sell 1000 more if they wanted to.

31. Carl Gerbschmidt says: Feb 19, 2013 2:57 PM

Ponder This says:Feb 19, 2013 1:11 PM

Don’t all the owners get their own private suites?

Why don’t you shut up?

32. melikefootball says: Feb 19, 2013 2:58 PM

Don’t you love all the talk of the NFL cares about its fans. Teams as GB, Steelers, Pats, Giants, and teams with great followings keep getting tickets raised. Teams as ones that can’t sell out even in the hunt stay the same. Yes the NFL does care…..about money money money. Won’t happen but fans need to bail out stop going, watch at home, stop buying the NFL logo crap. See where this takes the NFL same bath as MLB.

33. asublimeday says: Feb 19, 2013 4:02 PM

———-
    Kaepernick just rushed for another TD on you bums

34. vincentbojackson says: Feb 19, 2013 5:02 PM

I think the lady in the picture just figured out the Packers “stock” she bought is worthless.

35. axespray says: Feb 19, 2013 5:38 PM

$ 250 for a piece of paper that keeps an NFL team in a small town area ….

A team that brings revenue to local businesses ….
    Yeah, that worthless piece of paper that keeps Mom & Pop shops up and running …. smh.

36. shlort says: Feb 19, 2013 9:09 PM

The Packers have no problem with attendance. Sure, some people can’t afford to buy season tickets. I never even bothered getting on the list because the wait was so long when I checked about 25 years ago.

I’m not rich, but i’d take season tickets without hesitation. I could go to some games and sell the rest to cover my tickets. It is a no brainer really. Get season tickets and go see a couple games a year for free? Count me in.

As far as you trolling goon who want to make fun of Packer fans for buying stock. Get a clue, then get a life. Anyone who bought one of those stock deals knows what they got. They know it has no value other than personal. Why be jealous of Packer fans? I didn’t buy any and I dont think anyone who did is stupid. It is their 250 bucks, they can do whatever they want with it. Give it away, burn it, buy a stock or donate it to charity. None of my biz, none of your biz either.

37. crownofthehelmet says: Feb 19, 2013 9:54 PM

Greedy jerks.

38. filthymcnasty1 says: Feb 20, 2013 12:29 AM

Average ticket prices.

Results that are well above average and better than any other NFL team with 13 World Championships.

Seems more than fair to me.

39. nitschke4life says: Feb 20, 2013 3:09 PM

Ticket prices for PACKERS games is totally fair. What we’re all mad about is that wages are not comensurate with inflation. It’s not PACKERS managements fault that we live in a nation that tolerates ( encourages, honestly) such financial inequality.

40. packmanfan says: Feb 23, 2013 5:53 PM

Was this decided on by the owners?
    Oh yeah. That’s right.
    $250 just buys pride and bragging rights and nothing else in the Packers organization.
    And to spend all that money and time in the cold?
    No thanx. The couch is still the best seat for football games.