Mike Florio gives the the Tampa Bay Buccaneers their offseason to-do list. Florio thinks that the Bucs need to draft a quarterback in case they plan to release Josh Freeman. Florio also thinks that the Buccaneers need a complement for receivers Vincent Jackson and Mike Williams as well as planning for a future without Ronde Barber and Eric Wright in the secondary.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
PFT Live: Bucs not sold on Freeman at QB?
The Broncos are going with their first-round pick at quarterback this weekend.
Broncos coach Gary Kubiak said earlier this week that Siemian didn’t necessarily need to practice to be able to play against the Jags, but they’re apparently going to give him plenty of time to recover.
That means rookie Paxton Lynch is in line to make his second start. He was decidedly average in his other one, a loss to the Falcons, going 23-of-35 for 223 yards with a touchdown and an interception.
He should be a little more comfortable this time, but even though the level of competition isn’t the same, it’s an important game because the Broncos can’t afford to lose any ground in the playoff chase.
For certain specific types of fever, the only prescription is more cowbell. And for the NFL’s ongoing ratings malaise, well, you know the cure.
For the second straight week, a stand-alone, nationally-televised game featuring the Dallas Cowboys delivered bigly, with a season-high Thursday Night Football rating of 14.1. Via Greg Aiello of the NFL, it’s the second highest Thursday Night Football rating ever, behind only the 14.3 generated by Broncos-Chiefs in 2015.
The good news for the NFL is that the Cowboys will play in another prime-time, stand-alone game again in Week 14, when they face the Giants in New Jersey. The better news is that the Cowboys will be playing in one or more stand-alone games in the postseason.
The best news would be the Cowboys in prime-time, stand-alone games on a regular basis.
There are limits on how often a team can play in prime-time in a given year. And maybe there shouldn’t be. Maybe the Cowboys should find themselves playing under the lights all the time.
The NFL enjoyed unprecedented growth over the past two decades despite having neither a team in L.A. nor a Cowboys franchise that seriously contended on a regular basis. With Dallas on the front end of what could be an extended run of glory (or at least the serious pursuit of it), the league would be wise to embrace the notion of assigning the Cowboys to as many stand-alone games as it can, rules or procedures or limitations be damned.
Raiders General Manager Reggie McKenzie’s first few years on the job weren’t filled with a lot of success on the field, but his work rebuilding the roster has paid off this season.
The Raiders are 9-2 and leading the AFC West with players drafted by McKenzie like defensive end Khalil Mack, quarterback Derek Carr and wide receiver Amari Cooper playing lead roles. Others have also been crucial to the team’s success and it will be hard for the Raiders to hold onto everybody, but McKenzie said Thursday that the team’s plans have always included space to hold onto the stars.
“The key is that your drafted players become your core,” McKenzie said, via CSNBayArea.com. “As far as [what’s next], you need to know you can sign them and keep them and continue that process. That’s where we are right now, and we feel good about where we are. We think we’ve built this thing to last. … The premier players will get paid, and we’ll try and keep everything intact as much as we can. But what happens when your talented players play well? Contracts come up at times where they can benefit from it.”
The Raiders have an option on Mack’s contract for 2018, but next year will be Carr’s final year under contract so we’ll start to see how they are going to implement those plans before too much longer.
Broncos linebacker Von Miller is in the Christmas spirit, and now, so is the entire division.
Via Nicki Jhabvala of the Denver Post, Miller sent a bottle of wine and a thank you note to every player in the AFC West, including practice-squaders and those on injured reserve. That’s nearly 300 bottles of wine.
Included with each bottle was a note which read:
It is an honor and a privilege to take the field and compete with you twice a year. We are so fortunate to have this opportunity to fulfill our childhood dreams of playing in the NFL. The blood, sweat, aches and pains, and endless hours spent watching film are a testament to the love and dedication we have for this game. So take a moment, reflect on all your successes, and enjoy your accomplishment. Appreciate those who have helped you get this far, and start working towards your next childhood dream.
Thank you for helping to make our game great!
It’s quite the magnanimous gesture from Miller, the kind one can make after signing a $114.5 million contract. But regardless the price tag or his ability to pick it up, it was a nice touch or sportsmanship and generosity for the Super Bowl MVP.
Wide receiver Sammy Watkins sat out of practice on Wednesday with foot soreness and offensive coordinator Anthony Lynn said Thursday that the wideout is still dealing with a broken bone in his foot, but neither will keep him from playing against the Raiders this Sunday.
That was the word from Bills coach Rex Ryan on Friday while he was discussing the team’s injury situation ahead of their trip to Oakland. As is his habit, Ryan went a little further than just saying Watkins would be in the lineup for the second straight game.
“Sammy contributed in a big way last week and we expect a big game this week. He’s going to play,” Ryan said.
The Bills could use one. While Marquise Goodwin was at practice Friday after injuring his wrist on Thursday, the team has ruled out wide receivers Robert Woods and Percy Harvin. That leaves a thin group at wideout as the team tries to keep their playoff hopes alive against the AFC West leaders.
Hall of Fame running back Eric Dickerson still has a problem with Rams coach Jeff Fisher.
Dickerson appeared on ESPN this morning and said he had a great conversation with Rams COO Kevin Demoff last night, but Dickerson then reiterated that he still wants no part of Fisher.
“I had a very good meeting with Kevin Demoff. We talked for almost three hours,” Dickerson said.
So what’s his beef with Fisher? Dickerson said there are two issues: First, Fisher treated him disrespectfully in a phone call. And second, Dickerson doesn’t think Fisher is the right coach for the Rams. As a result of those two issues, Dickerson said he’s done going to Rams games while Fisher is there.
“I will not go back to the games as long as Jeff Fisher is there,” Dickerson said. “I don’t have a vendetta against Jeff at all . . . but no, I won’t, because I felt like the call to me was a very disrespectful call.”
Dickerson said he believes the Rams would be a better team if they fired Fisher.
“I think this football team would do better without Jeff. That’s just my opinion,” he said. “He’s had five years to turn this team around and he’s had all losing seasons.”
Dickerson — who made the trip to the ESPN studio to talk about the controversy — also said he’d rather not be talking about it.
“I’m really tired of talking about this, seriously,” Dickerson said.
Then perhaps Dickerson should stop talking about this. The reason the story has legs is that Dickerson, one of the Rams’ all-time great players, keeps talking about how much he dislikes the Rams’ current coach.
The Broncos defense has given up late touchdowns in each of their last two games, although they were able to avoid a loss to the Saints in Week 10 when a blocked extra point turned into two Denver points in a 25-23 win.
Their failure to close strong last week led to a loss against the Chiefs, however, and Broncos players feel that giving up two third down conversions and one on fourth down are a sign that the team isn’t doing the right thing in those situations. Linebacker Brandon Marshall pointed to mental errors and poor tackling as issues the last two weeks, while safety T.J. Ward believes the team is laying back too much.
“We have to be more focused. We’re too lax in those situations. We expect someone to make the play, but we have to expect ourselves to make the play first,” Ward said, via the Denver Post. “It’s not last year’s team, so don’t compare us to last year.”
The defense will be back on the field in Jacksonville on Sunday for a game they likely hope will be settled before the final minutes of the fourth quarter.
Bengals wide receiver A.J. Green said he hopes to come back this year and was relieved that his hamstring injury wasn’t any worse, though when he describes it, it sounds pretty bad.
Via Katherine Terrell of ESPN.com, Green told reporters today that it wasn’t as bad as he first feared.
“Grade II tear — it was 50 percent torn,” Green said. “But it’s not bad, it’s not torn off the bone or nothing like that. No surgery needed.”
(Let this stand as our periodic reminder that all sports injuries are relative, and far less serious when they happen to someone else — because “not torn off the bone” is considered a positive.)
The Bengals wideout, who went down early in the Bills game two weeks ago and won’t play this week, said he initially thought it was just a cramp. But then when he tried to walk it off and couldn’t, he realized perhaps a cart ride was in his best interests. But he started doing some light jogging this week, and hopes to be able to return this year even though the Bengals are in a fairly hopeless situation at 3-7-1.
“I’m going to play it safe. I want to get back, no matter what kind of season we’re having,” he said. “I’m not the type of guy to pack it in. Whenever I’m ready, I’ll be ready to go, but I’m not going to rush it and have this as a continuing issue. . . .
“That’s not the type of guy I am. I don’t bail out on my team because we’re not having the season we want to have.”
Green was having a phenomenal year before the injury, with 964 receiving yards. If he can get back and get 36 more yards, he’d join Randy Moss as the only receiver with six straight 1,000-yard seasons to begin his career.
Patriots coach Bill Belichick didn’t add much information on top of that statement during his Friday press conference. Belichick said “we’re all disappointed” and that “hopefully things will work out as positively as possible with him.”
The coach wouldn’t speculate about whether Gronkowski will go on injured reserve, which would rule him out of returning this year now that quarterback Jacoby Brissett has been designated as the team’s only returning player for the season. Belichick was also said the team wouldn’t be doing veering from their usual routine when it comes to coming up with a game plan that accounts for Gronkowski’s absence from the lineup.
“We do it every day. We do it every week. That’s what we do,” Belichick said.
Tight end Martellus Bennett figures to have a big involvement in the Gronk-less offensive plans and Belichick didn’t rule out making a move to bolster the position if it is “what we feel is best for the football team.”
Both Ivory and Hurns have hamstring injuries and didn’t practice all week. Also out are wide receiver Rashad Greene (Achilles) and defensive end Jared Odrick (shoulder). Tight end Julius Thomas is doubtful with a back injury and likely to miss a second straight game.
Running back T.J. Yeldon has been limited the last two games and this week in practice by an ankle injury, but he’ll be counted on to carry a heavier load with Ivory out.
The Jaguars await the release of the Broncos’ injury report later Friday. Broncos starting quarterback Trevor Siemian didn’t practice Wednesday or Thursday due to a sprained left foot. Rookie Paxton Lynch would start if Siemian can’t play.
With roughly six weeks until the window closes on the Chargers exercising their right to join the Rams in L.A., someone is leaking to the media the notion that the Chargers are on the verge of doing just that. And something about that makes me wonder what’s really going on here.
There’s a chance this latest report of a move to Los Angeles isn’t really about the Chargers moving to L.A. but the Chargers staying in San Diego.
Confused? Intrigued? If only there was a way to get to the bottom of the point by clicking on a video on spending two minutes or so hearing the situation be explained in a way that includes a twist that may seem a little kooky on the surface, but that may ultimately make plenty of sense.
Matthews is listed as questionable to play this weekend because of an ankle injury. Matthews left last Monday’s loss to the Packers early in the second half because of the injury, but was able to get on the field for a limited practice on Thursday.
Agholor was inactive for the Packers game after a series of errors over the first 10 games of the season had him feeling mentally lost. One would imagine he’ll be active if Matthews can’t play and he might be part of the gameday roster even if Matthews plays due to the possibility that he’ll leave early due to the injury.
It’s unclear why the man who shot and killed former NFL running back Joe McKnight has been released from custody. It’s even less clear why Louisiana has a law that can transform the streets of New Orleans into Deadwood, South Dakota.
Louisiana has a “stand your ground” law, which surely will be an issue in the trial of Cardell Hayes, who shot and killed former Saints defensive end Will Smith earlier this year.
“A homicide is justifiable . . . [w]hen committed in self-defense by one who reasonably believes that he is in imminent danger of losing his life or receiving great bodily harm and that the killing is necessary to save himself from that danger,” the law states. “A person who is not engaged in unlawful activity and who is in a place where he or she has a right to be shall have no duty to retreat before using deadly force as provided for in this Section, and may stand his or her ground and meet force with force.”
As to the McKnight killing, key factual questions include identifying the aggressor and determining whether either party had disengaged from the exchange before it became deadly. Although further investigation may lead to the conclusion that the man who shot McKnight was not acting in self defense, the authorities have heard enough at this point to neither arrest nor charge a man who shot and killed another person less than 24 hours ago.
Surely, the “stand your ground” law was a major factor in the decision to set the shooter free.
The man who shot and killed former NFL player Joe McKnight was released without charges hours later.
Ronald Gasser, who was taken into custody after shooting McKnight, has been released, the Jefferson Parish Sheriff’s Office confirmed.
Police said Gasser and McKnight exchanged words in a traffic incident in a New Orleans suburb. Gasser reportedly remained at the scene and handed his gun over to police voluntarily. Although he hasn’t spoken publicly, he is presumably claiming he shot McKnight in self-defense.
According to police, McKnight did not have a gun either on his body or in his car.
A New Orleans native, McKnight was named the national high school player of the year by Parade magazine in 2006. After a college career at USC he was a fourth-round pick of the Jets in 2010 and played there for three seasons. He later played for the Chiefs and has most recently played in the Canadian Football League.
McKnight was 28 years old.
Thirty years after Donald Trump took on the NFL and lost, he has taken on the NFL and won. According to him.
Via SportsBusiness Daily, the President-Elect declared during his first public rally since the election that the NFL’s ratings dropped because of the election.
“[T]heir ratings were so far down,” Trump said at a rally in Cincinnati. “And you know what the reason was? Because this business is tougher than the NFL. . . . Their ratings were down 20, 21 percent, and it was because of us.”
It’s not much different than Trump’s comments from October, when he both claimed credit for the dip in ratings and blamed Colin Kaepernick for it. The broader point is that the incoming Commander-in-Chief has the platform to make his voice heard, the willingness to say whatever he wants, and a lingering resentment of a billionaire’s club that consistently refused him admission.
Whether it’s making light of the league’s approach to concussions or pointing out the ongoing ratings struggles or anything else, the man who sits on the American throne could become a thorn in the side of America’s most popular sport. While some individual owners enjoy a positive relationship with him, the NFL may need to do some collective kissing of the ring (or some other area of the anatomy) in order to ensure that the next four years won’t include repeated body blows to a sport that some believe is currently being moved in the general direction of the ropes.