London Fletcher still mulling his future

Atlanta Falcons  v Washington Redskins Getty Images

One of the two active leaders in consecutive games played is still deciding whether he’ll be back for his 241st straight game come Week One of the 2013 season.

The Washington Post caught up with Redskins linebacker London Fletcher at an appearance for a financial video game (Super Mario’s Hedge Fund, perhaps?) Wednesday and found out that he’s still in a contemplative mood. Fletcher is asking himself the questions he’s asked himself in recent offseasons so that he doesn’t rush into a decision one way or the other.

“It’s still a process,” Fletcher said. “Understand I do this every year,  probably the last four or five years. It’s just when you get older in your career, you have to evaluate everything. Health is one thing. Can I still do it at the level that I want to do it at and play at?  So this year is no different than those years in the past.”

Fletcher is set to make $5.5 million next season, an amount of money that’s hard to walk away from unless you think you’d totally embarrass yourself on the field. Fletcher led Washington in tackles again last season while battling through a host of nagging injuries, which is a good sign that he’ll be able to avoid that fate in his 16th season.

Permalink 16 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill, Washington Redskins
16 Responses to “London Fletcher still mulling his future”
  1. butternutzz says: Feb 21, 2013 9:02 AM

Captain my Captain We need you.

2. logicalvoicesays says: Feb 21, 2013 9:03 AM

London has earned the right to do whatever he wants. It’s up to our great staff to find his replacement THIS OFFSEASON. No more projects either. If it were up to me, I’d trade Orakpo’s overrated self and pay Rob Jackson too. I called Rob being the better player back in the leadup to Week 3 vs Cincy too.

3. ravens4lifeudig says: Feb 21, 2013 9:40 AM

he’s OLD Hang up the cleats Orakpo is a beast Go Ravens

4. skins4life21 says: Feb 21, 2013 9:46 AM

Your delusional if you think Rob Jackson is better than Orakpo. Kerrigan was average w/out Rak on the other side. 4.5 sacks is not going to get the job done. Skins are about to extend Orakpo so there goes your logic.

5. EJ says: Feb 21, 2013 9:59 AM

The Redskins still desperately need Fletcher. He has been their leading tackler and will continue to lead that Defense until he calls it quits. $5.5 million is appropriate pay for someone like Fletcher. He deserves every penny with his leadership skills and dedication to his team. I hope we get to see him play for at least a couple more years.

6. fwippel says: Feb 21, 2013 10:05 AM

Fletcher is amazing, especially in this day and age. I hope he comes back and plays another year. He doesn’t get the longevity attention that Ray Lewis gets, but he’s been a quality player year after year.

7. logicalvoicesays says: Feb 21, 2013 10:09 AM

Rob made more gamechanging plays in 14 games then Rak has made since he came into the league.

8. rtant2013 says: Feb 21, 2013 10:42 AM

Your out of your mind if you think Jackson is better then Orakpo, while I agree he had a pretty good season, and definitely impressed me. He could be in the middle if Ironman doesn’t come back. But Fletcher we need you back, your still playing great, better then Ray Lewis in my opinion, and Fletcher has played almost a full season more games then Lewis. He’s one of the best leaders in the NFL, and that’s what really makes him a special player on D. But big picture wise, we really need that 5 mill in cap space. But I’d rather him come back, then to have the cap space. And I garuntee he will never do what Ray did and make a mockery of the NFL with his “lastride” deal. Fletcher is a much better man then that

9. JSpicoli says: Feb 21, 2013 12:24 PM

In a league where many are idolized and few deserve it…..this guy deserves it.

10. obnoxiousDCfan says: Feb 21, 2013 1:07 PM

Fletch is 10x the man Lewis is. That’s a fact. He’s got another season in him, and then he’ll hang up his jersey with the best of the best, without a doubt.

11. jwreck says: Feb 21, 2013 1:17 PM

Point is, Fletcher mulling is a good thing for DC. The more he mulls, the better he plays the next year. 2011- mulleed for a long time, amazing season. 2012- re-signed with little or no mulling: Orakpo gets injured, leaving Fletcher to cover tight ends; season is only very good, not amazing.

12. thesmartestmanever says: Feb 21, 2013 1:32 PM

I love fletch but you can’t compare him to Lewis. it’s not fair to either. that’s like comparing Darrell Green to Deion Sanders both were great but completely different. Fletch is closer to D. green with regards to being a natural. Lewis is closer to Sanders where as they both were able to be at the right place at the right time and you’d better account for them on the field. I’m a big Redskins fan but I’m no fan of bashing one person so another one shines. cut that out ya’ll

13. jwreck says: Feb 22, 2013 1:22 AM

thesmartestmanever says: Feb 21, 2013 1:32 PM

_______
    I agree with your main point 110%, but comparing Darrell Green to Deion Sanders, really? I mean it seems too easy in my book. Green was faster. Green was a great tackler; Sanders wouldn’t know a form tackle if it hit him ball-side, right below the sternum, wrapped up, and lifted while driving into the ground. Sanders was a great player, don’t get me wrong (and I love the Leon Sandcastle commercial), but comparing Green to Primetime is like comparing Curtis Martin to Jim Brown.

14. failgoodell says: Feb 22, 2013 9:34 AM

Heart and soul of the Redskins. Battled through injuries last year, missed a lot more tackles than usual but still sparked a defensive turnaround in the second half of the year that led his team to an NFC title. I’d take Fletch over Ray Lewis all day every day.

15. jwreck says: Feb 22, 2013 12:40 PM

________
    This is a direct quote from the article, but that doesn’t mean the article didn’t oversimplify things to the point of stupidity. Morris and Fletcher appeared to support the launch of an interactive class by Visa and Navy Federal designed to teach American servicemen financial literacy and money management skills. Not blaming anyone, just saying that “a course designed to teach our nation’s military financial literacy and money management” sounds a hell of a lot better and more important than “a financial video game”.

16. defscottyb says: Feb 25, 2013 11:51 PM

London Fletcher is a hell of a player and the heart of the Skins D… We need him back! I agree Rob Jackson made some real nice plays this year but Orakpo is too good to get rid of. Wishing Rak a speedy recovery.