Trestman noncommittal when asked about Urlacher’s future

Chicago Bears Introduce Marc Trestman Getty Images

With the first turn on the podium in front of the media at the NFL Scouting Combine, Bears coach Marc Trestman had a chance to set the agenda.

But he gave no indication the Bears were in a particular rush to bring back free agent linebacker Brian Urlacher.

Asked about the Bears institution, Trestman hedged, calling the discussions “an ongoing process,” saying he and general manager Phil Emery “continue to talk about these things and process.”

The 34-year-old Urlacher knows if he’s going to stay, he’s going to need to take a pay cut from the $7.5 million he made last year, but from the lack of enthusiasm in Trestman’s answer, it’s hard to divine if the teams is terribly motivated to keep him around.

Permalink 15 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Chicago Bears, Home, Rumor Mill
15 Responses to “Trestman noncommittal when asked about Urlacher’s future”
  1. woodg8 says: Feb 21, 2013 10:32 AM

The only way Urlacher stays in Chicago is on a vet minimum deal. Even then I’d be drafting his replacement in this draft

2. realjetsplayhockey says: Feb 21, 2013 10:38 AM

As a Canadian who has watched “Trest-conferences” for a while be prepared for many non-comital and seemingly uninterested answers. He discusses nothing.

Decent coach though.

3. kabasaman says: Feb 21, 2013 10:58 AM

Both, the Bears and Urlacher need to be realistic. Brian knows his worth, but I hope pride doesn’t get in the way

4. jwcarlson says: Feb 21, 2013 11:09 AM

As a Packers fan it disappoints me that the Bears no longer have management that would be signing him to a three year, $27M deal next week. :(

5. chi01town says: Feb 21, 2013 11:09 AM

Let him go now and lets move on.
    Urlacher is NOT the Chicago Bears. Its time to win games because of the offense not inspite of the offense. the defense will be just as good with a young MLB

6. asublimeday says: Feb 21, 2013 11:12 AM

He struggled and isn’t the player he once was. It would hurt to see him in another uniform but I trust Emery.

7. manilovethepftcensors says: Feb 21, 2013 11:19 AM

Marc Trestman is a really, really, REALLY creepy looking dude

8. thebigcaptain2011 says: Feb 21, 2013 11:38 AM

Am I the only one who thinks this guy looks like Gordon Gekko?

9. mantastic54 says: Feb 21, 2013 11:40 AM

The bears only have about 11 million in cap space and they need to re-sign Melton plus the o-line needs major upgrades. Urlacher just isn’t in the budget

10. jwcarlson says: Feb 21, 2013 11:55 AM

Trestman looks like an ugly 50 year old woman.

11. damadgreek says: Feb 21, 2013 2:54 PM

I’m not sure what the urlacher haters are seeing. The guy played like a beast this year, even though you could tell he wasnt at 100%. I hope he is signed.

12. revroy78 says: Feb 21, 2013 3:47 PM

If he grew his hair out a bit, he’d be the spitting image of House Majority Leader Eric Canter. Other than that, I have nothing to add to this discussion.

13. monsterofyourgirlsmidway says: Feb 21, 2013 3:51 PM

this is tough to say because urlacher has been my favorite player for the last 8 years. but he definitely took a couple steps back this year. he missed a lot of one on one tackles and was slow getting back in pass coverage. been a hell of ride tho and I will never forget that superbowl run he led with REX GROSSMAN as the qb.. I wish him all the best! briggs, tillman, peppers… its your defense now

14. asublimeday says: Feb 21, 2013 5:57 PM

Trestman looks like an ugly 50 year old woman.
    ———

Your coach looks like a fatter John goodman. Then again so do most of your women, so there’s that.

15. larryboodry says: Feb 21, 2013 11:18 PM

Trestman has been noncommittal on Urlacher all along, so no big deal here…What I find humorous is all the dumb comments on the man’s looks…I guess some people never outgrow their bullying, grammar-school mentalities.