Collin Klein being asked to work out as a tight end

Collin Klein, R.J. Dill, Brandon Thurman AP

Kansas State’s Collin Klein still wants to be a quarterback.

But the NFL wants to see if he can do something else, something he might be better at.

According to NFL.com’s Gil Brandt, Klein will do tight end drills Saturday at the NFL Scouting Combine.

Of course, like the guy he’s often compared to (cough, Tim Tebow, cough), Klein is holding on tightly to the idea he’s actually a quarterback.

“I’m going to pursue every door that I possibly can to play quarterback,” Klein said. “Until every one of those is closed, I’m not really considering anything else.”

It seems like the NFL is opening a door for him, and suggesting that he might be better served to walk through it.

Permalink 16 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill
16 Responses to “Collin Klein being asked to work out as a tight end”
  1. parasonic says: Feb 22, 2013 2:01 PM

maybe if he prays REALLY hard he’ll be able to throw more accurately and have NFL caliber arm strength. It worked for Tebow

2. mashoaf says: Feb 22, 2013 2:03 PM

*cough Eric Crouch *cough

3. hrmlss says: Feb 22, 2013 2:10 PM

Jet’s take him as a Qb!

4. blitzinc43 says: Feb 22, 2013 2:11 PM

Old School Football rebirth

5. phillylawhopeful says: Feb 22, 2013 2:14 PM

He’s a fullback or tight end. He shouldn’t shy away from the TE role. Look at Gronk and Hernandez. They revolutionized that position and I suspect we’ll see a LOT of increased focus on the TE as a position of strategic importance.

6. canetic says: Feb 22, 2013 2:17 PM

Tony Gonzalez revolutionized the TE position, not the Patriots-come-lately’s

7. hrmlss says: Feb 22, 2013 2:19 PM

If he drops a few will there be comparisons to Jermichael Finley?

8. thegreatgabbert says: Feb 22, 2013 2:48 PM

Following his tight end drills, the league would like to see Collin moving yard markers on the sidelines, as well as trying his hand at turf patching.

9. bubbybrister/shovelpass says: Feb 22, 2013 3:06 PM

In two years time, the Jets will trade a 4th and a 7th for this guy just to make sure he doesn’t get back on the field for offense.

And the rest of the league will thank them for it.

Again!

10. jodave5 says: Feb 22, 2013 3:08 PM

Collin, ask Brad Smith of the Bills about holding onto that “I’m a QB” stance. He ditched it and has played 7 years by ditching his ego and pocketing several million.

11. jwreck says: Feb 22, 2013 3:12 PM

Look at Gronk and Hernandez. They revolutionized that position…
    _______________
    canetic says: Feb 22, 2013 2:17 PM

Tony Gonzalez revolutionized the TE position, not the Patriots-come-lately’s
    _________
    Kellen Winslow and Mark Bavaro. Winslow’s career was over before I was born, and Bavaro retired when I was 5, but everyone knows they invented the modern tight end position.

12. stull60060 says: Feb 22, 2013 3:33 PM

Mark Bavaro ? Are you kidding? He couldn’t hold Dave Casper’s jock strap.

13. jwreck says: Feb 22, 2013 5:10 PM

stull60060 says: Feb 22, 2013 3:33 PM

Mark Bavaro ? Are you kidding? He couldn’t hold Dave Casper’s jock strap.
    _________
    Sorry I’m not old, bro. My high school coach used to bring up Bavaro all the time, and I always kind of assumed that he was on Winslow/Casper’s level. Casper was more of a traditional tight end anyway, which wasn’t the point I was making.

14. rajbais says: Feb 22, 2013 5:45 PM

At least this knows that he might not have a QB future. This is why I respect him more than #15 up in New York.

15. usmutts says: Feb 22, 2013 10:35 PM

If you want to know who revolutionized the TE position there is only one name you need to know: John Mackey. I rest my case.

16. malachiofcourse says: Feb 23, 2013 12:12 AM