Marquise Goodwin aims to break Chris Johnson’s 40 record

Marquise Goodwin AP

Former Texas receiver Marquise Goodwin was an Olympic long jumper and may be the best athlete at this year’s Scouting Combine. But he wants to be more than that: Goodwin wants to be the fastest man ever to run at any Scouting Combine.

Goodwin told reporters today that he thinks he can break the 40-yard dash record, which Titans running back Chris Johnson set with a 4.24-second time in 2008.

I want to run the fastest [40] ever,” Goodwin said Friday. “That’s my goal.”

Goodwin didn’t have to be prompted to say that Johnson’s record is what he’s aiming for.

“Chris Johnson, 4.24, fully automated,” he said. “So . . . that’s my goal.”

In his final college game, Goodwin was the MVP of Texas’s Alamo Bowl win over Oregon State. In that game, Goodwin had a 64-yard touchdown run and a 36-yard touchdown catch, but he said he wants NFL teams to know that his football skills are not limited to his speed.

“I’m looking to run the fastest, but I want to prove that I’m more than a speed guy,” he said. “I can run routes. . . . I’m definitely not a track guy playing football. I’m a football guy that just happens to jump really far. . . . I want to show I can catch the ball away from my body. Anyone can run a 40. . . . Track guys just really have linear speed. I have proved I have more than linear speed. Track guys are known for not being able to catch, for not having good hands. I run routes, get out of my breaks. I can run other routes other than just running the nine. I’m tough. I have taken on hits, I’ve blocked. I even got MVP for blocking one game and I didn’t even touch a ball that game. I don’t think a track guy could go out there and get MVP for blocking.”

For NFL teams, Goodwin’s body of work on the field will mean a lot more than his 40 time. But a 40-yard dash record would certainly open some eyes.

Permalink 33 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Rumor Mill, Top Stories
33 Responses to “Marquise Goodwin aims to break Chris Johnson’s 40 record”
  1. Brad Smith says: Feb 22, 2013 5:29 PM

He won’t.

Just claiming he’s aiming for the 4.24 record brings attention too him.

Combine marketing!

2. footballfan84 says: Feb 22, 2013 5:32 PM

I hope the guy doesn’t end up with the Raiders like all those other fast guys who ended up being busts.

3. jibzek says: Feb 22, 2013 5:35 PM

Future Raiders #1 pick.

4. Max says: Feb 22, 2013 5:37 PM

Been touting Marquise all year, and now everyone will know him this weekend…. Datone Jones is also going to be on everyone’s lips as well as Markus Wheaton.

5. spedracr15 says: Feb 22, 2013 5:41 PM

Maybe after he breaks Chris Johnson’s “record time”, he’ll realize that Bo Jackson holds the record at 4.12 seconds from the 1986 combine and that Deion Sanders is second with a 4.21 from the 1989 combine. Third place is the new first apparently.

6. jwreck says: Feb 22, 2013 5:41 PM

Good for him if he does, but let’s not pretend Chris Johnson’s 4.24 is even close to the best 40 time of a pro prospect. Bo Jackson, Darrell Green, Bobby Hayes, and Bobby Mitchell all torched that number with ease.

7. packerfan12 says: Feb 22, 2013 5:57 PM

Marquise Goodwin played pretty well at the senior bowl and if he has some crazy numbers, he could keep going up draft charts. Wish him the best.

8. latchbeam says: Feb 22, 2013 5:57 PM

He’s going for 3rd place behind James Jett and Bo Jackson…

9. adamagedbillsfan says: Feb 22, 2013 6:06 PM

Chris Johnson might be dumb as a rock but the man is ridiculously fast. No way this dude breaks the record.

10. baymac408 says: Feb 22, 2013 6:09 PM

Raider comments are so true on here.. There he is raiders fastest guy can’t catch .. Take him.. O no they have new management.. They will turn it around(sarcastic) lol

11. hor2012 says: Feb 22, 2013 6:17 PM

Does anyone know how tall he is and how about his hands. I’m developing my on board for the draft

12. Nickstixx says: Feb 22, 2013 6:18 PM

He’s talking fully automated times people… When Bo and Deion ran it was a stopwatch operated by humans.

13. elmaxoh says: Feb 22, 2013 6:39 PM

Poor kid he doesn’t know the real record is 4.12 , never heard of Bo Jackson ?

14. conjecture101 says: Feb 22, 2013 6:59 PM

He’s too fast for the Raiders new regime. They like slow, unathletic “football players” Thats why they basically froze DHB out of the offense in favor of Rod Streator. Oh, and they destroyed their best player’s career in Darren Mcfadden. Nice job Reggie.

15. rbanks51 says: Feb 22, 2013 7:06 PM

those times weren’t electronically timed like Chris Johnson’s was.

I find it very hard to believe Bo Jackson ran a 4.12 and then nobody has come close since. I realize he was a great athlete, but he’s not freaking superman.

16. tangysizzl says: Feb 22, 2013 7:15 PM

I guess you missed the part where he says “Chris Johnson, 4.24, fully automated,”

All of the other guys you have listed ran their 40’s when they were hand timed back in the day.

17. jwreck says: Feb 22, 2013 7:19 PM

spedracr15 says: Feb 22, 2013 5:41 PM

_________
    40 measurements only became truly accurate in the 90’s, but Bobby Hayes, Bo Jackson, and Darrell Green both clocked in the low 4.1’s; although both Jackson and Green have unofficial sub 4.1 times. Using the same, now considered “unofficial” measurements, Sanders had a 4.25 in 1989, by no means second place. Bobby Mitchell and Don Beebe were clocked “unofficially” in the high 4.1’s. More recently Joey Galloway, Donte Stallworth, and Willie Parker ran 4.18, 4.22, and 4.23; respectively. So while I agree that Goodson isn’t shooting for first, he definitely isn’t shooting for third either.

18. crazyphatdude14 says: Feb 22, 2013 7:33 PM

Cause the Raiders only draft fast guys… (Sarcastic) You do realize that a number of those “Fast guys who end up being busts” are actually quality players and if another team had drafted them, they would have been called playmakers, but because it was the Raiders, they are just “track guys”. Darren McFadden has injury issues, but he is a Top 10 back when healthy. Tyvon Branch is a great SS. Michael Huff is a versatile DB. Mike Mitchell is a stud. Stevie Brown is now an All-Pro for the Giants (unfortunately). Jacoby Ford is a game-changer. Denarius Moore is a star in the making. I can name just as many busts on any other team but the Raiders get laughed at. Whatever. Also, to the guys who say that other players have run faster at the combine, remember that those were HAND TIMED. Not nearly as accurate and almost always faster. That’s why at the combine when the UNOFFICIAL time is announced it will look like 4.35s and then the OFFICIAL time will be released a while later and will look like 4.43s. Darren McFadden ran unofficially a 4.27s and then officially a 4.33s. The official times are electronically timed. Always more accurate. Unfortunately we will never know what Bo Jackson REALLY ran for a 40.

19. granadafan says: Feb 22, 2013 7:49 PM

Bo Jackson, a man destined for greatness, cut short by a fluke injury. He sure was a pleasure to watch in football and baseball. I’ll never forget him running sideways along the outfield wall. The whole stadium was stunned for a second and then erupted in a massive “whoaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!”.

20. snap0179 says: Feb 22, 2013 8:09 PM

It will be hard to beat CJ in the yards per $ department

21. ravenseattheirownpoop says: Feb 22, 2013 8:29 PM

Come to Pittsburgh and replace straight line Wallace

22. srcnsd says: Feb 22, 2013 8:47 PM

Fastest ever was Leon Sandcastle. Goodwin doesn’t stand a chance of breaking it.

23. thetooloftools says: Feb 22, 2013 8:48 PM

Run your legs, not your mouth.

24. metalup666 says: Feb 22, 2013 8:48 PM

Didn’t Joey Galloway run 4.11? I could be wrong.

25. baymac408 says: Feb 22, 2013 9:12 PM

This dude is actually pretty fast.. But I think tavon Austin is quicker.. But this guy picks up speed and is FAST in the longer run

26. mullman76 says: Feb 22, 2013 9:21 PM

Attention fools who do not pay attention: Al Davis died in 2011. The RAIDERS are under new ownership, a new GM and new HC.

In 2012 (a lost year) Reggie had to right the “fiscal ship”, so to speak. They are now headed in the right direction.

You silly haters are going to have to come up with some relevant material. Your trite nonsense is no longer valid.

The RAIDERS will be back and the haters will be gone-looking forward to it.

27. jayquintana says: Feb 22, 2013 9:56 PM

Good for him! Why not have lofty goals?

28. jbro3169 says: Feb 22, 2013 10:26 PM

Deon Sanders ran a 4.19 they say. Shoot for that goal big guy! Aim for the moon because even if you miss you’ll land among the stars! lol

29. frankdatank23 says: Feb 22, 2013 11:13 PM

Sadly, Al Davis is RIP. Probably in a cryogenic freezer with a few days of life left in him. The Raiders will slowly become just another NFL franchise again that operates as usual. The clumsy,over-the-hill Raiders we loved to hate will probably fade.

30. sammythehair says: Feb 23, 2013 12:30 AM

Bo knows 4.1… Best ever!

31. skoobyfl says: Feb 23, 2013 3:20 AM

I don’t buy the 4.12 speed for Bo, sorry it’s a stopwatch dreamer on the handle.

32. justiceborn says: Feb 23, 2013 5:48 AM

he’s about the same height as Steve Smith but he’s twenty pounds lighter. put on twenty pounds and he’ll be running 4.9

33. grandpoopah says: Feb 23, 2013 9:37 AM

Based on his self-assessment, he sounds like a smart kid who has done his homework preparing for a shot at the NFL. I’m officially intrigued.