Nnamdi Asomugha will get cut if he won’t take a pay cut

Nnamdi Asomugha AP

For Eagles cornerback Nnamdi Asomugha, the options are simple: Take a pay cut or get cut.

ESPN’s Adam Schefter reports that the Eagles and Asomugha’s representatives will meet this morning, and the team will ask Asomugha to restructure his contract. If Asomugha refuses, the team will cut him.

Asomugha is guaranteed $4 million from the Eagles this year whether he plays for them or not, so it would be a costly move to cut him. But it will cost the Eagles $15 million to have Asomugha on their team this year under his current contract, and Philadelphia has concluded that he simply isn’t worth his massive contract.

When Asomugha signed with the Eagles before the 2011 season, the deal was advertised as a five-year, $60 million contract — and was advertised as one of the deals that made the Eagles the Dream Team. But that now looks like a contract that the Eagles regret, and if Asomugha won’t take less money, he’ll soon become an unrestricted free agent again. An unrestricted free agent who will get a much smaller contract this time around.

Permalink 85 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Philadelphia Eagles, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
85 Responses to “Nnamdi Asomugha will get cut if he won’t take a pay cut”
  1. imbetterthanyou says: Feb 22, 2013 8:55 AM

Dream Team!!!

There were unicorns and marshmallows and lollipops! And a Lion and a tin man! I Swear Auntie Em!!!

2. lostsok says: Feb 22, 2013 8:55 AM

He may have to take a much smaller contract, but with four million bones in his pocket on the way out the door, he’s still better off letting them cut him and hitting the market.

There are a lot of team’s where he would be a massive upgrade, and possibly a better system-fit. He’ll get 10-11 million from one of them, and will see his full 15 in the end.

3. burgundyandgold says: Feb 22, 2013 8:58 AM

I love that the dysfunction, bad contracts, meddlesome ownership dictating whether fans can have signs in the stadium, the hot college coaches, bad FA signings, etc. has moved up I-95 and has left the DC Metro area – for good it seems. Of course, the owner does think his team is the Gold Standard.

4. ace8842 says: Feb 22, 2013 8:59 AM

5. karlton3 says: Feb 22, 2013 8:59 AM

Welcome to the Colts and their need for a CB, their $40+ mil in cap space, and your dB coach who helped make you what you are who is now the head coach.

6. reasonableeaglefan says: Feb 22, 2013 9:00 AM

Eagles owe him 4 mil if he plays for them or not. I’m not sure I wouldn’t just rather pay him that money to go away. He didn’t play like a starter, and his effort was unacceptable at any price.

7. giantssb42champs says: Feb 22, 2013 9:01 AM

What a bust this guy’s been.

8. tory707 says: Feb 22, 2013 9:01 AM

This guy stole money last two years.

9. houseofbacon says: Feb 22, 2013 9:02 AM

Welcome to Tampa?

10. freepretzels says: Feb 22, 2013 9:02 AM

What a shame that when he finally got access to a winning team and some national attention, he was too old to take advantage of it.

Nnamdi was great for years.

11. jimbo75025 says: Feb 22, 2013 9:03 AM

Wow. I remember when this guy was the hottest free agent on wheels. Just another example of NFL=not for long.

12. hartdaddy says: Feb 22, 2013 9:03 AM

Another guy people said was better than Darelle Revis…

13. eaglesw00t says: Feb 22, 2013 9:04 AM

Easy decision. He has not lost a step, but two.

Every time he was put on man coverage, he wouldnt even bump the receiver, and then the receiver would just blow by him.

For what the Eagles thought they were getting, we completely got duped. I hated Asante Samuel at the end for his attitude, and his complete failure to want to tackle…but I think I would have rather seen him in Philly last year. Nnamdi was that bad.

Julio Jones made him look straight silly.

14. jwil007 says: Feb 22, 2013 9:04 AM

Nnamdi,

Come to Cincy Mike Zimmer will resurrect your career…We love to have you out there over Newman or Allen…. Hall, You and a young Dre Kirtpatrick would be nice… We were 3rd in the league with sacks so you already know you wont be covering for 100 years…This would in fact give you more opportunities to pick QB’s and we could most definitely use that….. Tell Philly you wont take the cut and call Mike on your cell leaving the building… :)

15. duneroad says: Feb 22, 2013 9:05 AM

Jets will trade Revis and sign him

16. steelbydesign says: Feb 22, 2013 9:06 AM

If I were Asomugha I would get cut, and then sign a 1 year deal with a team that would use him the right way (the Jets?) then cash in again the following season.

He’s very talented but he has to be used in the right scheme.

17. texansdude says: Feb 22, 2013 9:06 AM

I hope Vontae, I mean Nnamdi, opened a savings account.

18. dixiongx says: Feb 22, 2013 9:06 AM

If Yall can hear me just cut him… Please

19. tombradyswig says: Feb 22, 2013 9:07 AM

CUT HIM NOW!

20. fuglyflorio says: Feb 22, 2013 9:08 AM

Eagles … please keep him … signed, the rest of the NFL.

21. beneaththeunderdog says: Feb 22, 2013 9:08 AM

I wouldn’t mind seeing him signed by the Washington team if he is cut…. at a price that takes his performance of 2012 into account. he’ll be had for a cheap price…a nice performance bonus laden contract should do…

Then again… the last high profile Eagle the Washington team signed….

22. kerryc21realty says: Feb 22, 2013 9:09 AM

Cut him

23. gibbyfan says: Feb 22, 2013 9:13 AM

Raiders will take him back

24. jaewest304 says: Feb 22, 2013 9:16 AM

Come home to Oakland Nnamdi

25. mhalt99 says: Feb 22, 2013 9:19 AM

Yes, but you replaced it with idiot staff/ownership who let the golden goose play with a bad wheel and in doing so may have mortgaged your whole future as you gave up a ton of draft picks for him…….but yeah, go DC!

26. expatpatfan says: Feb 22, 2013 9:22 AM

It was a crazy contract, but the Eagles played him out of position (slot corner) for most of it. That might have something to do with how the Eagles select their D-coordinators. Asomugha is one of the best at using the sideline to cut angles–you can’t do that playing the slot.

27. sepl12 says: Feb 22, 2013 9:22 AM

I am very thankful the jets have no cap space. as a pats fan it would greatly stink to have to see him and Revis together twice a year. they could stop teams to the point that even Sanchez could lead them to some wins.

28. eaglesw00t says: Feb 22, 2013 9:28 AM

Lol @ “the eagles didnt use him right”

He got burnt in man press.
    He got burnt in man off.
    He got embarrassed in zone.

He got beat every which way. It wasn’t a scheme. He is not what he was. It’s that simple.

29. jetnotjets says: Feb 22, 2013 9:28 AM

@beneath:

‘The Washington team’? Seriously? That’s hilarious. I hope someone puts a Redskins bumper sticker on your Prius. Shaking my head at hippies.

30. wjmoffatt says: Feb 22, 2013 9:28 AM

I will welcome him with open arms in Tampa if his contract is around the 8million mark.

31. kracker315 says: Feb 22, 2013 9:31 AM

I dont remember him be “advertised as a deal that made the Eagles the dream team”. I remember one stupid ex NFL player who was on our bench that uttered those wonderful words. Will this ever get dropped???

32. mrphelps01 says: Feb 22, 2013 9:31 AM

What’s the deal with this guy? He had a great rep, but was invisible playing in Oakland. Eagles fans, can he play or not?

33. jwcarlson says: Feb 22, 2013 9:35 AM

Remember all of the fans of so many teams that wanted their front offices to break the bank for this guy?

34. realninerfan22 says: Feb 22, 2013 9:35 AM

Shudda came to the niners smh… I hope the eagles cut him so he could come play for my niners.. With our front 7 he wud be alrite. Niners played a whole lot of man to man, namdi wud fit great

35. sjoyner59 says: Feb 22, 2013 9:37 AM

After watching him play 2 seasons here i would just cut him…

36. jwcarlson says: Feb 22, 2013 9:37 AM

Also… how in the heck are the Eagle not circling the toilet in salary cap hell? All of these terrible contracts but they are always at/near the top in cap space.

37. pgh15212 says: Feb 22, 2013 9:38 AM

He looked so good in Oakland because the raiders were so bad. Why throw at an above average cb(namdi) when the other side of the field is covered by a zombie and the run defense is non existant.

38. str8infamous says: Feb 22, 2013 9:38 AM

I’m tired of Philly fans dogging this man. Ownership needs to take responsibility for their actions. EVERYBODY in the NFL knew Nnamdi was a press-man cover corner that’s ALL he did in OAK & that’s ALL he did in college. Yet Philly signs him to play in Cover 2, Cover 3 & Cover 6 zone concepts. Stop blaming this man for taking the money y’all gave him to lure him away from signing with Dallas. Philly’s GM & the coaches dropped the ball on this signing, knowing Nnamdi didn’t fit the scheme.

39. gsomatt says: Feb 22, 2013 9:42 AM

He should follow the path of another ex-Raider CB. That path lead to Super Bowl ring.

It’s about 750 West by NW as the crow flies.

Get there and get yourself a ring!

40. noodlecbs says: Feb 22, 2013 9:56 AM

ace8842 says: Feb 22, 2013 8:59 AM

Michael Vick?

41. djcologne says: Feb 22, 2013 9:57 AM

I’d take Nam back in Oakland in a heartbeat! The guy is a class guy both on and off the field. He played for a CRAP Eagles team that put zero pressure on the QB which overly exposed the DB’s….don’t pin it all on him….this guy had to work for that massive contract…it’s not like his name is Larry Brown w/ a SuperBowl INT landing in his hands which led to millions…..shame on you Eagle Fans!

42. tjules21 says: Feb 22, 2013 10:01 AM

realninerfan22 says:
    Feb 22, 2013 9:35 AM

—————————————————-

I don’t know that I agree with this statement being that Nnamdi is terrible and that’s some of the worst grammar I’ve ever seen. Here is my edit:

He should have came to the Niners, as I sit here shaking my head in dismay. I hope the Eagles cut him so he comes to play for my Niners. With our front 7, he would be alright. The Niners play a whole lot of man to man, so Nnamdi would be a great fit.

43. ravenmuscle says: Feb 22, 2013 10:03 AM

Just another example why NOT to sign these HUGE deals from other team’s free agents only to find they don’t fit in and were only good because they were with their OWN team

Add Nnamdi to Haynesworth…Mario Williams…Julius Peppers…Adalius Thomas….and I could on and on.

You could even add Peyton to the list although he had a very good year…you could tell he has lost a lot of arm strength after his neck surgery…”never threw a ball over 20 yards in the playoff game”…AND admitted he had no feeling in his fingers in that bitter cold in Denver. Isn’t it true that Peyton has never won a game when the temp was under 40 degrees? Tells you something. And he’s getting $18 million a year.

44. eaglesw00t says: Feb 22, 2013 10:07 AM

expatpatfan says:
    Feb 22, 2013 9:22 AM

————————

He didnt play a single snap in the slot in 2012.

Try again.

45. rolltide510 says: Feb 22, 2013 10:08 AM

I’m going to blame the system until I see him suck with another team. Great players start to fall off, but it came too quick for me to assume he’s just terrible now.

46. wrdtoyrmama says: Feb 22, 2013 10:13 AM

Of course Aso would look great again in Oakland.

I mean who throws the ball much in the 2nd half when your already up by 21 points or so?

47. eaglesfanalways says: Feb 22, 2013 10:13 AM

And just when I learned to pronounce his name! I am a bit surprised they are even contemplating keeping him…he clearly isn’t starting corner quality anymore. I don’t expect them to keep DRC, and maybe they’re looking to draft a corner so they feel having at least 1 corner with NFL experience is better than nothing.

48. whiteknightblackheart says: Feb 22, 2013 10:15 AM

Glad the Jets “lost” the Nnamdi Sweepstakes and had to “settle” for Cromartie….

49. officialgame says: Feb 22, 2013 10:15 AM

Who “advertised” the Eagles as the “Dream Team”. One idiot, Vince Young said that and imbeciles like this writer have been picking up on it up ever since. The same Vince Young who took a 300,000 loan to throw a birthday party for himself and has just declared bankruptcy. Nnamdi was targeted 67 times last year with 45 completions and 5 TD’s against. At this point the man is nothing but a “name”.

50. gotampabay52 says: Feb 22, 2013 10:15 AM

TAAAMMMMPA

51. hisgirlgotburrelled says: Feb 22, 2013 10:15 AM

“The guy is a class guy both on and off the field” like when he completely gave up this year?

“He played for a CRAP Eagles team that put zero pressure on the QB” so I guess you missed 2011 when the led the NFL in sacks.

“this guy had to work for that massive contract”
    He did work for the contract. Then he got it and didn’t have to work anymore.

52. cubano76 says: Feb 22, 2013 10:16 AM

“Mr. Synder on line two for Mr. Asomugha”

53. raiderufan says: Feb 22, 2013 10:20 AM

I think part of his problem was leaving California and I think it was much bigger than he anticipated.

Walked out of class at Cal into the locker room in Oakland and played the same style from Freshman year to the day he signed in Philly…think about that. An entire playing life in California and moving to play in Philadelphia. Money is nice but I bet he really wouldn’t mind going home.

He may not be an elite corner anymore but with his recognition skills and size he is pretty friggin good and capable of being a close to elite safety.

54. expatpatfan says: Feb 22, 2013 10:23 AM

It’s impossible to evaluate what he is or isn’t if the scheme isn’t playing to his strengths. Put Peyton in a run and gun offense for 3 years and you’ll think he’s a terrible QB. After those 3 years if you put him back in his normal offense, will everything be back to normal? Tough to say–he’s 3 years older and he’s going to be a little rusty (although, it’s Manning, so probably not that rusty). Asomugha was great at man press coverage. The Eagles used him in bizarre ways. I have no idea if he’ll ever be able to go back to what he was able to do in Oakland, but the first step is getting him back to man press.

55. tdk24 says: Feb 22, 2013 10:24 AM

Time for Nnamdi and Woodson to reset their contracts and come back to Oakland where they belong!

56. mullman76 says: Feb 22, 2013 10:27 AM

@eagleswoot: The eagles did not use him correctly.

Nnamdi is going to take his $4mil from the dirty eagles and head home to the Silver and Black.

And both teams will be better as a result.

57. tdk24 says: Feb 22, 2013 10:30 AM

“ace8842 says:
    Feb 22, 2013 8:59 AM
    Most Eagles fans are praying he refuses to take the cut. There is not another player we want out of here more than him. He was a disgrace last year.”

Really? How bout that guy that lines up at QB?

58. dlightner13 says: Feb 22, 2013 10:32 AM

No cut this guy he has been terrible in philly. People say he was “underrated” in oakland…. he wouldnt even play left corner in oakland. Meaning he played number 2 receivers. He didnt line up against dwayne bowe, he didnt line up against vincent jackson, he didnt line up against brandon marshall. He had a couple of good years playing against number 2s

59. eaglesw00t says: Feb 22, 2013 10:39 AM

mullman76 says:
    Feb 22, 2013 10:27 AM
    @eagleswoot: The eagles did not use him correctly.

—————————

You obviously dont watch the Eagles. Ever. He played exclusive man press for 8 games in a row. He got beat like a drum consistently.

You are clueless.

60. gcsuk says: Feb 22, 2013 10:41 AM

burgundyandgold says:
    Feb 22, 2013 8:58 AM
    ——————————————————–
    As a Giants fan, I can’t stand the Eagles. But the above statement is absolutely ridiculous. “Dysfunction has left the DC Metro area-for good it seems”? 1 good season and 1 Playoff berth does not make you a dynasty.

Every team runs in cycles. Good for a while, possibly great for a while, and then terrible for a while. It will happen for the Pats when Brady (and Belichek) leave, just like every other dominant team. Don’t worry, the Skins (and every NFL team) WILL stink again! It’s just a matter of “when”.

61. smackywomack says: Feb 22, 2013 10:44 AM

As a redskins fan I really hope he takes the pay cut and sticks around for years to come.

62. dolphins4 says: Feb 22, 2013 10:45 AM

I’d cut Asomugha. The cornerback out of Utah State is far better than Nnamdi.

63. hendawg21 says: Feb 22, 2013 10:47 AM

Hey don’t place all the blame on Nnamdi…even if you cut him the Iggles problems aren’t solved that hold debacle last year was a team effort, so to blame one person and figuring cutting him will solve all the Iggles problems is crazy. I’m sure the Skins are happy the Iggles outbid them for his services…my prediction is they’ll still finish in the basement of the NFC East…

64. dennisund says: Feb 22, 2013 10:52 AM

str8infamous says:
    Feb 22, 2013 9:38 AM
    ————————————————-
    Did you watch any Eagles games last year? He played press-man cover and had one of the worst seasons I’ve seen a corner have. It’s so blatant that I can’t believe anyone would defend it and think their coach can do anything with him.

Also, Vince Young is a cancer that was eradicated, please stop using his quotes with this team.

65. bobonmycob says: Feb 22, 2013 10:54 AM

jwcarlson says:Feb 22, 2013 9:37 AM

Because were a top 5 media market team. Which also means more revenue…. But beyond that our cap situation is always great because we manage it well. We always have managed the cap well.

66. barroomhero80 says: Feb 22, 2013 10:58 AM

Vikes could use em

67. dallascowboysdishingthereal says: Feb 22, 2013 11:01 AM

Jerry Jones was trying to sign Asomugha when thankfully, the Eagles stepped in and signed him preventing Jerry from making a fool of himself once again. How that work out for ya Eagles?

68. justwannawinna says: Feb 22, 2013 11:39 AM

He proved again and again he was just plain old bad. Juan may have expected Oakland version but what he got was a Dimitri Patterson who was good with a good pass rush.
    This guy played in every defensive scheme they could use to help his talents, even got a person fired for his disgraceful play.
    I hope hes gone maybe back to the Raiders or Colts who need corners.

69. tomcous says: Feb 22, 2013 11:50 AM

I’m not an Eagles fan … it was very apparent to me and I assume the rest of the world that there was a great deal wrong with the Eagles Defense …

Asomugha needs a change of scenery IMO – he’s much better than what he has been portrayed as with the Eagles!

70. justbust says: Feb 22, 2013 11:57 AM

Boykin outplayed him, peace out nnamdi, you got shown up by a rookie

71. dukemarc says: Feb 22, 2013 12:33 PM

Richard Sherman better be paying attention to Nhamdi’s situation – this is how quickly you can fall from grace in the NFL….

72. phillylawhopeful says: Feb 22, 2013 12:41 PM

I’m a die hard Eagles fan. Nnamdi was not played out of position, he simply wasn’t the best corner on his team like he was in Oakland. He played opposite Chris Johnson, a 30-something, slow 7th round pick in the draft, journeyman corner who got picked on all the time. Why throw at an okay corner in Asomugha (who is at times pretty athletic) when you can light up the opponent?

Case in point: 2007-2010 total passes defended and interceptions.

Asomugha: 26 PD, 3 INTs
    Johnson: 41 PD, 8 INTs

It seems like coaches just knew not to throw at Asomugha, not because he was this amazing corner, but because there was a much worse corner starting opposite. This seems obvious watching him in another system where he’s not the better CB.

73. str8infamous says: Feb 22, 2013 12:47 PM

@ dennisund
    Of course I watched Nnamdi in Philly or I wouldn’t have wasted my time to comment. What a lot of people assume is man coverage when they see the DB running deep is actually a Cover 3. Case in point the Julio Jones play everyone remembers. It was a cover 3 (Which CHI is great at) the DB starts shallow & plays a deep zone with his hip open trying to funnel the WR into the zone of other players. The saftey starts in his normal position but comes down & plays very shallow to include anything coming out into the flats. So you can’t press cuz if you get beat its a easy TD. Clearly Nnamdi lacked the proper technique and got torched. Im not defending him but lets critique him when hes in his own element (Man 2 Man). Plus if you’ve watched Philly over the years you’d know they almost never play man converage dating back to the Jim Johnson era with Troy Vincent and Bobby Taylor at DB. That’s what made the whole Nnamdi signing baffling in the 1st place, they was just trying to keep him from Dallas & it’s evident with how they used him.

74. jkb0162 says: Feb 22, 2013 1:12 PM

An overpaid corner who got old and can’t play anymore… How did Dallas not get this guy?

75. jwcarlson says: Feb 22, 2013 1:13 PM

bobonmycob says:
    Feb 22, 2013 10:54 AM
    jwcarlson says:Feb 22, 2013 9:37 AM
    ———————————————–

So for next year a CB and QB were (prior to Vick’s restructure) slated to make over $30M and still showing $23M in open cap space. Are they truly not spending much money anywhere else?

I know different contract structures count differently, but I have a hard time believing that the cap is being “managed well” without doing some pretty strangely structured contracts that might hurt the team in the long run.

76. mullman76 says: Feb 22, 2013 1:20 PM

@eagleswoot: Clueless is having an offensive line coach run the defense.

Nnamdi was not used correctly in philly.

The cold and snow must be getting to you.

77. xLith says: Feb 22, 2013 1:46 PM

So glad the Texans signed J. Jo instead of this guy when they had the chance.

78. oaktown49er says: Feb 22, 2013 1:48 PM

He took less money to avoid Houston and San Francisco (where he could have stayed in the Bay Area) because he wanted to go to Philly and compete for a Super Bowl. If players could truly predict who was going to have success, they would work for Vegas.

79. crazyphatdude14 says: Feb 22, 2013 2:19 PM

@dlightner13

The fact that you think that #1 WRs only line up on one side of the field is laughable. But for the sake of argument, I will inform you that Nnamdi played against many great WRs and he kept them out of games for the most part. He lined up against Vincent Jackson all the time. He covered Ochocinco in his prime. He covered Randy Moss, Brandon Marshall, Andre Johnson, etc. Please don’t speak anymore. You’re just embarrassing yourself. I have plenty of film of Nnamdi covering all of those players.

80. bubbybrister/shovelpass says: Feb 22, 2013 2:48 PM

Richard Sherman= Nnamdi part deux

81. vikesfansteve says: Feb 22, 2013 3:02 PM

Vikings could totally use him. What bothers me about the Vikings stay young approach is the they consider 27 young but 30 too old. When the player finally gets enough experience to be good they want to get rid of him. So they have good players with athletic ability but get rid of them based on a number when they finally get experience. Sorry but the good teams have a mixture of young & old. Not just young. The Vikings need a couple of solid veterans to put them over the top. A QB, a nose tackle, 2 LB’s, a safety, and a CB just like Asomugha.

82. abel660 says: Feb 22, 2013 3:33 PM

Go to the patriots god knows we need a cb with talib going to be gone and dennard in prison or suspended we need you!

83. dlightner13 says: Feb 22, 2013 3:35 PM

I know #1 wrs line up on both sides of the field…. just more often to the qbs strong side… and if you are considered a #1 cb shouldnt u line up on both sides of the field and not cry about it. Yea he has played some good wideouts… but so have 3rd round rookjes and had good games… its just the flow of the game. He “shined” in oakland because he was the only person with a decent skill set in the secondary. In philly he played many more good wrs and got burnt in every way and form. Guy cant even switch direction.

84. nomoreseasontix says: Feb 22, 2013 7:37 PM

I thought they overpaid at the time, and I haven’t changed my mind.
    I saw most of his games in Oakland and honestly thought he was over-rated, even though I liked him.

85. crazyphatdude14 says: Feb 22, 2013 10:29 PM

@dlightner13

It wasn’t his choice. The defensive coordinator played the defense that way. And no, the X receiver does not USUALLY line up on the strong side. If that were the case, everybody would have the best corner playing on the strong side at all times. No, the X and Y receivers line up everywhere. The Z is the slot and the Y is usually the motion receiver. In fact, teams will line the X up on the weak side specifically to force coverage to roll to the strength to allow openings in the zone or a 1 on 1 situation for the X. He was not above average. He was the best for a couple of years. He kept Andre Johnson off the stat sheet for most of a game when both were in their respective primes. In 2009 he was targeted an average of less than twice a game. That year he only gave up something like 9 catches for 129 yards and no TDs. I have tons of footage of him running stride for stride with the best WRs in the game at the time and blanketing them in coverage so much that QBs wouldn’t even think about throwing the ball in his direction. He has lost a step now and is clearly not the player he use to be. But when he was good. He was great. Don’t use his recent failure to try to explain away his past success. Especially when you’re argument holds no factual football evidence to begin with.