Terrance Ganaway making sandwiches while Rams are off

Ganaway_T_Card2012

Some NFL players own Jimmy John’s outlets to help generate non-football income, but one player is working at one part-time in the offseason after his rookie year.

Running back Terrance Ganaway played three games in St. Louis last season after the Jets waived the sixth-round pick at the end of the preseason. The Baylor alum was looking for a way to “stay fit, stay out of trouble, and really just try to save money and not spend a lot of money” in Waco during the break before offseason activites start up for the Rams and sent out a tweet to that effect. A Jimmy John’s employee replied they were hiring and now Ganaway, who made $380,000 as a rookie, is working 12 hours a week making sandwiches when he isn’t working out on his own.

“My No. 1 job is being an NFL player,” Ganaway said, via Jim Thomas of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch. “So don’t get it confused as to me working at Jimmy John’s has me lazy. … I know what I have to do. I know how to get in shape and I know what it takes to perform at a high level. Really, Jimmy John’s is just to keep me out of trouble in all the down time we have in the offseason.”

Lazy wasn’t the first word that came to mind. It’s pretty remarkable, actually, to hear of an NFL player of any stature doing something like this and speaks pretty highly of his work ethic. Most guys would be partying in Italian night clubs, not making sandwiches named Italian Night Clubs.

We’re aware Darin linked to this story in Thursday’s one-liners, but thought it was deserving of a little more light. Given the slew of stories we hear about athletes mismanaging their time and/or money off the field, it’s nice to hear about one who is taking a very different approach.

Permalink 25 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill, St. Louis Rams
25 Responses to “Terrance Ganaway making sandwiches while Rams are off”
  1. davekezer says: Feb 22, 2013 2:24 PM

Smart, smart man. Not only will it teach him the value of money (and instill the sense that the NFL is an insanely special job), but it’ll also teach him valuable people skills moving forward.

If I hadn’t worked in the food/restaurant industry, I don’t think I’d be able to communicate with people so well. Seriously. Great story.

2. 1bbfan says: Feb 22, 2013 2:25 PM

I would take 53 of this guy on the Bills anyday. What a refreshing story.

3. datageek94 says: Feb 22, 2013 2:27 PM

What a spectacular attitude! It’s a refreshing contrast to some of the other news we’ve heard in the past month.

Terrance: I hope you are able to make a good career out of the NFL. We need men like you. Thanks.

4. fuglyflorio says: Feb 22, 2013 2:27 PM

Incredible. I am officially rooting for this guy.

5. millerhour says: Feb 22, 2013 2:28 PM

Much respect

6. dynasonic says: Feb 22, 2013 2:28 PM

Maybe he should just open a car wash in Philly. It seemed to work for Marvin Harrison.

7. thejabronisayz says: Feb 22, 2013 2:29 PM

I swam when I was in college. I remember how during the season, going to practice would help me break up the day, and it helped me budget my time before and after practice – because I needed to work around the practice schedule.

Once the season was over, despite me being overjoyed at perhaps having “so much more free time,” I still ended up going to the gym to work out at about the same time I used to go to practice – because it helped me budget my time in a similar fashion, and it also prevented me from falling into the “I have so much more free time now” trap of procrastinating and thinking that more time meant an easier path.

Good for Terrance for developing a similar approach, albeit for different reasons, but he’s got a good head on his shoulders and I hope he continues to make it in the NFL.

8. ebrownwareagle says: Feb 22, 2013 2:31 PM

HATS OFFTO THE YOUNG MAN!! Humble and Blessed!!!

9. staph1nfection says: Feb 22, 2013 2:39 PM

This guy should teach a class for the rest of the league.

10. citizenstrange says: Feb 22, 2013 2:47 PM

So many benefits to a second job for ANY young man or young woman.

1) Extra money coming in.
    2) Keeps you busy, out of trouble and with less time to spend money.
    3) Keeps you grounded in the reality of what your money is really worth. You’re not as inclined to go to a bar/mall/etc. and spend $80 in a couple of hours when you just worked an extra eight hours to make it.

Well done Terrance Ganaway.

11. bubbybrister/shovelpass says: Feb 22, 2013 3:02 PM

Another solid citizen! And everyone likes to bash the Jets about their draft picks!

Too bad their were no openings for a Fry cook in Florham Park!

12. godofwine330 says: Feb 22, 2013 3:03 PM

Good for him. A good way to make some legal money & stay out of trouble. He could have sat on his tail and did nothing, but instead he has some money coming in and he is activa along with working out.

13. gomer1 says: Feb 22, 2013 3:11 PM

With this attitude and work ethic, he can be sure his money wont be Ganaway any time soon. (Rimshot)

Seriously though, really cool story.

14. keylimelight says: Feb 22, 2013 3:13 PM

Wow, this story is fresh air. His finding a way to have structure in the offseason will keep him grounded.

Bet is parents have been on the ball with raising their son since childhood. The fruit don’t fall far from the tree.

15. schmitty2 says: Feb 22, 2013 3:54 PM

Are you hearing this Vince Young?

16. stakex says: Feb 22, 2013 5:20 PM

If you had more guys like this in the NFL, there wouldn’t be so many arrests….

17. manilovethepftcensors says: Feb 22, 2013 5:23 PM

I like how you added that last paragraph to avoid a bunch of salty comments. Good work.

18. j0esixpack says: Feb 22, 2013 7:04 PM

Look, I don’t want to be the only one complaining about the guy, but the truth is he has a very heavy hand with the mayo.

Frankly he’s got a long way to go as a sandwich maker and if he doesn’t try harder he’s just not going to make it,

19. raiderapologist says: Feb 22, 2013 7:06 PM

Hear that, Titus? When training camp opens a job will become available for you.

20. harbourimages says: Feb 22, 2013 7:11 PM

I worked three jobs to earn my way through college and I guess I turned out okay. Good for this young man for working like this to stay out of trouble when he doesn’t need the money! Wish there were more like him, not only in the NFL, but in the country!!!

21. CKL says: Feb 22, 2013 7:37 PM

I wish we could do thumbs up to stories, love this!
    This kid will never be one of those 30 for 30 stories about broke guys when his career is over.

22. It's always funny in Philadelphia says: Feb 22, 2013 8:04 PM

You mean Harvin Marrison? I’m guessing you haven’t read the GQ article on the guy you mentioned.

23. hardate says: Feb 23, 2013 12:16 AM

Great story, need more of this…

24. mysterytonite says: Feb 23, 2013 10:23 AM

I would like to order 53 Terrance Ganaways for my team to go! Humility is lacking in this league.

Immature players are more concerned with vulger public grandstanding and celebrating the most pedestrian of accomplishments (Cam Newton signaling first down after a 2 yard run)than concentrating on exectuting plays. So it is refreshing to see this behavior.

25. bufan88 says: Feb 27, 2013 11:17 AM

Terrance is a great rep for Baylor University. My son is a senior there and had told me that TG was back in Waco and what he was doing. He tweeted out one day that he would be giving away one of his rookie cards to every 25th customer during his shift. He then said that this could be a humbling experience for him if nobody shows up. My son and his roommate went by and Terrance was great and gave them both cards. He had a great conversation with them.

He also said that he was working so he could tell his kids one day that he had to work 2 jobs to save money to put them through college!

Great story!!