Alec Ogletree: I’m really sorry for my DUI, now I’m moving on

Alec Ogletree AP

Georgia linebacker Alec Ogletree knows he’s viewed as a character risk after his arrest last week for driving under the influence. But he’s hoping NFL teams will focus more on what he’s done on the field than what he’s done off the field.

Ogletree said at the Scouting Combine that he isn’t sure how far his draft stock has fallen, but he is determined to stay on the straight and narrow going forward.

“I don’t really know what it’s going to do, but like I said, I feel bad about it and I’m really sorry about it,” Ogletree said. “I just have to move forward and take what I get.”

Based purely on his talent, Ogletree looks like a high first-round pick. But after the DUI, and considering that he had been suspended at Georgia for a positive drug test, it’s fair to wonder whether any team wants to invest a first-round draft pick on him. Ogletree said he thinks that when he sits down with NFL coaches, he can convince them that he won’t be an off-field problem.

“Just by having a good interview,” Ogletree said. “Just being a good person and letting them get to know me and who I really am and not just what they hear about me and stuff.”

No one doubts what Ogletree can do on the field. But convincing NFL teams that he won’t be a problem off the field may be a tough sell.

Permalink 21 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Rumor Mill, Top Stories
21 Responses to “Alec Ogletree: I’m really sorry for my DUI, now I’m moving on”
  1. esorscher says: Feb 23, 2013 8:13 PM

hello Detroit

2. themagicman1223 says: Feb 23, 2013 8:16 PM

How hard is it to realize that you’re too drunk to drive?

3. cometkazie says: Feb 23, 2013 8:18 PM

He needs to realize he isn’t at Georgia any more and will be held responsible for what he does.

4. transam7816 says: Feb 23, 2013 8:24 PM

How about saying…it will never happen again instead of..I’m moving on

5. canadianbucsfan says: Feb 23, 2013 8:31 PM

I see him getting drafed in the late first early second. Talented linebacker but an idiot for drinking and driving..

6. ningenito78 says: Feb 23, 2013 8:41 PM

It’s not that it’s hard to figure out you’re too drunk to drive. It’s that when you’re too drunk you don’t care about being too drunk to drive. That’s why it’s called drunk. That being said the firs commenter beat me to it. Heeellllloooooo Detroit!

7. joebloww says: Feb 23, 2013 8:52 PM

At least he didn’t have a fake girlfriend (sarcasm).

8. daknight93 says: Feb 23, 2013 8:58 PM

He’s really sorry for being caught and now decides to move on…he hasn’t learned his lesson cause it will happen again

9. jprcox says: Feb 23, 2013 9:09 PM

People need to keep this in perspective. Even though driving “drunk” is terrible, I would bet anything that MOST of all the players in the NFL have at one point drank over the 1-2 beer (or 1 glass of wine) per hr limit and driven – its just they were not pulled over. If you placed a cop at the exit of any pub or bar, I would venture to say a MAJORITY of the people driving home would not be legal.

I don’t even drink myself, but I realize the reality that most people simply don’t get caught, its not that they follow the law on drinking and driving. This guy should get another chance for sure.

10. mandingo77 says: Feb 23, 2013 9:12 PM

These kids just dont have no clue how much money they are blowing when they make stupid choices to drink and drive. I dont get it how hard is it to call a friend for a ride or catch a cab??

11. jibzek says: Feb 23, 2013 9:16 PM

I’m really sorry I pounded that fifth.

12. bengalsstillsuck says: Feb 23, 2013 9:32 PM

Wounder what he blew on the breath test i bet u he didn’t break my alcohol level.

13. firedup1 says: Feb 23, 2013 9:37 PM

He should blame it on his fake girl friend. It worked for Teo.

14. coopdaddy67 says: Feb 23, 2013 9:46 PM

Mike Brown smiled and checked off a box when he heard the news.

15. coolzog says: Feb 23, 2013 9:59 PM

You’re actions define who you are as a person Ogletree, not what you say in a an interview. Anyone with half a brain already knows this.

16. buckybadger says: Feb 23, 2013 10:10 PM

I got a DUI too, I hope his words are sincere because after mine I felt like a complete piece of $#@( and for good reason. I hope he won’t do it again. Once you do you should be put away for at least 5 years because you don’t get it. Again I am guilty too so learn your lesson.

17. crj202 says: Feb 23, 2013 11:28 PM

Welcome to Dallas son!!

18. noring4youstill says: Feb 24, 2013 12:17 AM

Take him Saints

19. brentsingleton1978 says: Feb 24, 2013 12:24 AM

Well as long as he’s really sorry

20. rcali says: Feb 24, 2013 6:59 PM

He would have a lot of support on the Dallas sideline.

21. fahmundamahbalsaq says: Feb 26, 2013 4:27 AM

He could get 5 DUIs and I’d still take him over Te’o.