For a guy who’s good at it, Sharrif Floyd doesn’t watch football

Sharrif Floyd

Florida defensive tackle Sharrif Floyd said last week at the NFL Scouting Combine that he’s “been getting ready to put on a show here.”

He did just that this morning, running a pair of sub-5.0 second 40s at nearly 300 pounds. The question now becomes, would it qualify as a show he wants to watch?

While Floyd’s ability to rush the passer and his athletic talent will make him a high pick, he raised more than a few eyebrows during his media interviews, when he admitted he wasn’t much of a football fan.

Asked the fairly standard question of which player he modeled his game after, Floyd replied: “I haven’t really watched the league in a long time. I first started watching it in 2007, but I did get to know Ndamukong Suh in 2010 so we have a good relationship and I’ve watched him play a couple of times.”

That’s right, a possible Top 10 pick in the NFL Draft only started watching football six years ago. And it’s not as if he’s one of the foreign-born players from a land where football wasn’t readily available around the clock. He grew up in Philadelphia, a place where there seems to be some degree of interest in the NFL.

Asked to elaborate on the fact he didn’t watch football until recently, Floyd said “The first game I ever watched was the Super Bowl when the Colts won it in 2007.”

“It wasn’t that there was no interest, I just didn’t know nothing about it, so there was no reason to watch it,” he continued. “Even when I started playing there was no interest in watching it because I liked to play it instead of sitting down and being still and watching a game while all my friends were jumping around and getting excited for no reason.

“It just wasn’t a preference of mine, but now it is so I watch it and play it now.”

Asked what he was watching instead, Floyd talked about the Disney Channel and Cartoon Network.

Don’t get me wrong, as the parent of young children, there’s a good bit of Looney Toons on hand in my home as well. And away from work, I respect people who are well-rounded, and can talk about something other than football.

We know he’s motivated now, having trained specifically for the Combine to put on the kind of show that would boost his draft stock and make him financially secure.

But how motivated will he be come the dog days of training camp, or a Wednesday practice in November when his team might be out of the playoff hunt?

Will he be watching film of his next opponent, or catching up on That’s So Raven re-runs?

It’s possible to be great at football without being absorbed by it, but it’s probably not the kind of thing you want to admit at a job interview, either.

Permalink 35 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill
35 Responses to “For a guy who’s good at it, Sharrif Floyd doesn’t watch football”
  1. jhart615 says: Feb 25, 2013 12:42 PM

My favorite sport to play is golf, yet watching it, aside from the major tournaments, is pretty dull for me. I really see no issues with Floyd clearly dedicating himself to getting in shape and ready for the NFL as his job, yet not watching it.

2. zerole00 says: Feb 25, 2013 12:42 PM

“But a team is about to invest millions of dollars in a man who may or may not like the game he’s about to turn into a career.”

“Even when I started playing there was no interest in watching it because I liked to play it instead of sitting down and being still and watching a game while all my friends were jumping around and getting excited for no reason.”

Yeah, don’t relate the ability to watch the game (which even the most out of shape American do) to playing it. I hate watching baseball, it literally puts me to sleep. That said, I enjoy playing it a whole lot.

I can see how his disinterest could be an issue if he needs to study film, but don’t question his devotion to the game just because he doesn’t want to sit on his ass.

3. tyler4richardson says: Feb 25, 2013 12:44 PM

I guess he’d rather not waste his time watching 3 hours of commercials for 20 minutes of actual game action.

4. kleppnasty says: Feb 25, 2013 12:44 PM

As long as he likes playing it, not watching it is odd, but not a big deal. Joe Montana has been quoted as saying he doesn’t watch football. Some guys are just too active to find sitting on a couch and watching as something worth while. I don’t understand it, but that’s probably why I’m fat.

5. h3min1230 says: Feb 25, 2013 12:46 PM

Why does it matter if he watches it or not? Maybe he likes to watch something else. As long as he’s good at what he does, shouldn’t matter what he prefers to watch on TV.

6. micknangold says: Feb 25, 2013 12:47 PM

I don’t see the problem with admitting he doesn’t really like watching football from a team’s perspective. They’re gonna pay him to play it after all.

7. johntonioholmes says: Feb 25, 2013 12:47 PM

He likes playing better than watching.

Sounds like a guy I would want on my team.

8. csndrew says: Feb 25, 2013 12:47 PM

As an Eagles fan, there have been a lot of times since ’07 when I wished I didn’t watch football.

9. scrp2 says: Feb 25, 2013 12:48 PM

I think what Sharrif is trying to say is that the NFL became “watchable” after Paul Macquire was removed from the sunday night broadcast team.

10. ggarciaiv says: Feb 25, 2013 12:49 PM

It could have something to do with his family not being around when he grew up. Not too many adults figures in his life.

11. buddysguys says: Feb 25, 2013 12:50 PM

this guy has Bust written all over him

12. packerman1968 says: Feb 25, 2013 12:51 PM

Where did it say he stated he did not like the game? I do not go home and watch TV shows about my job.

Just because he does not spend every moment of the day watching the NFL. Does not mean he will not perform at a high level.

13. tcb2nyc says: Feb 25, 2013 12:55 PM

As a fan of a team that will be heavilly coveting Floyd, this bothers me a bit. And I’m not sure why. This doesnt mean he doesnt love football. Wait, does it?

And that’s a bit of a bigger belly than I was expecting to see on the man. Bigger than Fluker’s and that dude has 45 lbs on Floyd.

14. thehouseofho says: Feb 25, 2013 12:55 PM

Watching game film for preparation and watching a game for the enjoyment of it are two vastly different things.

Plenty of retired coaches and players have said they don’t watch games because they can’t enjoy it like normal people. As long as this kid is able to study game film like it’s a part of his job–because it is–there should really be no issue with him not watching games on Sundays.

15. earlcampbellrules says: Feb 25, 2013 12:55 PM

First, who cares what he watches? Second, in your article that’s titled “Sharrif Floyd doesn’t watch football” it says he has been watching football for the last 6 years. Stupid.

16. tobym333 says: Feb 25, 2013 12:57 PM

When did not being an honest kid become a deterrent to an employer ?

17. rollore says: Feb 25, 2013 12:57 PM

I don’t see what’s the big deal. Hollis Thomas is a big-time Spongebob Squarepants fan before and after his NFL career. He gave great sideline moments.

18. shadcan says: Feb 25, 2013 12:58 PM

Well he better get used to it, he’s going to be watching a lot of it in the film room.

19. sepl12 says: Feb 25, 2013 12:58 PM

There’s nothing wrong with not watching it as a fan being a top ten pick. Ricky Williams was seven picks, and he couldn’t stand football. granted he had some off years, but nobody could reasonably say he had a bad career.

20. godofwine330 says: Feb 25, 2013 12:59 PM

Tons of guys don’t get into the NFL, even many players. I heard that from a few NFL players. He gets into games that he is playing. I bet you that he didn’t watch college football, either and he excelled at that. This is a non-story. I hope they don’t try to do to him what they did to Myron Rolle, that ole “He doesn’t live football,” crap.

21. themagicman1223 says: Feb 25, 2013 1:03 PM

Shariff Floyd doesn’t seem to know what a double negative is.

22. benroethlisberger7 says: Feb 25, 2013 1:06 PM

He doesn’t have the heart required to play in this league.

23. steelhammer92 says: Feb 25, 2013 1:16 PM

He sounds a lot like James Harrison, who also doesn’t watch football. I don’t think anyone will question Harrison’s playing ability.

24. jaketdogg says: Feb 25, 2013 1:27 PM

i was a multiple state champion in high school track and field, as well as a collegiate all american. had I been given the chance to run professionally, and run a couple of sub 4 minute miles to prove my talent at a combine, i would have readily admitted that I cant stand watching track and field on TV

25. zengreaser says: Feb 25, 2013 1:46 PM

I’d be concerned if I was a GM. As an Eagles fan, this strikes me as awfully similar to the Shawn Andrews debacle. Andrews was a monster at RG & Andy Reid was quoted as saying that he had the best left tackle in all of football & he doesn’t even play tackle right now. That’s how talented Shawn was. But he was also obsessed with SpongeBob Squarepants & making weird YouTube videos. Yeah, he had a back problem, but many in town wondered if he was milking it because he started to enjoy the NFL lifestyle more than the game. And where is he now? Think twice before drafting Floyd.

26. shaunypoo says: Feb 25, 2013 2:04 PM

Where did he say he didn’t like the game or he isn’t absorbed by it? He just said he doesn’t casually watch it. I would rather play sports than watch them as well, wouldn’t you?

27. doe22us says: Feb 25, 2013 2:13 PM

Personally don’t like watching soccer that much, but I play it extremely well, same goes for basketball unless its the playoffs. No biggie in my view. As long as he knows his responsibilities it’s all good.

28. changsteinelgamal says: Feb 25, 2013 2:29 PM

I wouldn’t want to watch a show about my job either.

29. rg3srestrainingorderonlogicalvoices says: Feb 25, 2013 2:34 PM

If I grew up in Philadelphia, I probably wouldn’t watch football either…….

30. steeelfann says: Feb 25, 2013 2:46 PM

Beast

31. maximusprime107 says: Feb 25, 2013 3:31 PM

I love playing baseball, but watching it is extremely boring. I have no problems with what he said

32. joebone says: Feb 25, 2013 4:54 PM

I’m pretty sure Walter Payton said something similar: He loved playing the game since he was a kid, but wasn’t a big fan of watching the games. And why should he be? The only reason most of us watch is because we can’t do it. These guys have the best seat in the house.

33. dallascowboysdishingthereal says: Feb 25, 2013 8:13 PM

Actually he watched the eagles but that doesn’t count as NFL football. Chip Kelly is trying to bring them up to the college level this year. Good luck.

34. anhdazman says: Mar 25, 2013 11:22 AM

All you average Joe who likes to play baseball, golf, track and field, but don’t enjoy watching really don’t mean squat. You guys probably go out there for some exercise.
    This is a professional athlete that the NFL will be investing millions of dollar on. Most of these “soon to be NFL players” have had a passion for the game since they could remember holding a football. Most of these football players watched their heroes, idols or superstars growing up. They imitated and probably mimicked their styles.
    I do have an issue with using a high draft pick and spending millions of dollar on a player who doesn’t seem to have the same “drive” as most young athletes. He didn’t watch a game until 2007? So all those years he never watched a game or game film? He never studied his position or his opponents? How did he learn how to play the game if he never watched it?
    I hope my Raiders pass on this guy. Trade down and if we’re seriously looking for a DT, look at Sheldon Richardson or Luteluli.

35. macjacmccoy says: Mar 25, 2013 9:22 PM

I dont think you guys are realizing his age in 2006. I know for a lot of us 2006 doesnt seem like along time ago. You were just 35 instead of 41. So your mindset and the things you do are pretty much the same. But he was just 15 years old 6 years ago.

That’s about the age a lot of people start to really watch football. Dont get me wrong I watched football when I was 10 years old, but if my friends were going outside to build a fort I choose that over Ray Rhodes. What 12 or 13 year old kid decides on 1 of his 2 days off from school that he rather sit inside and watch football instead of playing with his friends?

You guys are over reacting. Most kids are more interested in playing with their friends or chasing girls around that time in their lives.

Besides Tra Thomas said in an interview that he never watched football. That he wasnt interested in it and found it boring if he wasnt playing, and he was a very good left tackle who gave 100% every game.