Chip Kelly: Dion Jordan is “a special guy in my heart”

Dion Jordan AP

Oregon pass rusher Dion Jordan put on a sensational performance at the NFL scouting combine, leading to increasing talk that Jordan’s college coach, Chip Kelly, may draft him to play for the Eagles.

Kelly is doing nothing to dismiss that talk.

Asked about Jordan at the Combine, Kelly gushed about how much he likes Jordan, both as a player and as a person. The 6-foot-6, 248-pound Jordan, who could play either defensive end or outside linebacker, could be in the Eagles’ plans with the fourth overall pick.

Dion’s just a special guy in my heart,” Kelly said, via the Philadelphia Inquirer. “I had an opportunity to be with him for five years. He came into Oregon as a receiver, moved to tight end, we switched him over to defense the beginning of his sophomore year. He just had a huge impact, not only on the field but off the field.”

Jordan may soon have a huge impact with the Eagles.

Permalink 34 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Philadelphia Eagles, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
34 Responses to “Chip Kelly: Dion Jordan is “a special guy in my heart””
  1. skoodsports says: Feb 26, 2013 8:56 AM

With the fourth pick in the 2013 NFL Draft, the Philadelphia Eagles select…

2. countyk66ers says: Feb 26, 2013 8:56 AM

Careful.

3. mhs8031 says: Feb 26, 2013 8:59 AM

He already brought in his former QB…Maybe they will round off the beak on the Eagle Mascot and let Kelly move the Ducks 3000 miles to the East.

4. randolph32 says: Feb 26, 2013 9:02 AM

Having a hard time getting a read on Chip Kelley….always wonder about Adults with a kids name – Chip.

5. ryanrockzzz says: Feb 26, 2013 9:04 AM

Even Chip Kelly knows how to use a smokescreen when he has one.

6. Dan says: Feb 26, 2013 9:06 AM

Granted, it may be a reach to take Jordan at #4, but it IS a position of need. As is just about every other position on defense for this team.

7. sjoyner59 says: Feb 26, 2013 9:07 AM

Between bad drafts and free agent signings the eagles need everything …its a rebuilding process now and if he doesn’t turn it around quick i will be ready to run Chip out of town

8. badburro says: Feb 26, 2013 9:23 AM

Maybe the Chipper can get the Eagle’s mascot, Swoop, to do push-ups every time the Eagles score.

9. wwwmattcom says: Feb 26, 2013 9:24 AM

Too undersized. Can be blocked by a wide receiver.

10. ravenmuscle says: Feb 26, 2013 9:45 AM

I thought that Jordan is having labrum surgery and will be months rehabbing from it. If I were the Iggles I’d draft the top O lineman available at number 4….like that great guard from Alabama or one of the 2 or three top left tackles in the draft

Like Joekle…eric fisher…etc

11. flybirdhaters27 says: Feb 26, 2013 9:46 AM

Joyner you are extremely short sighted. Andy Reid had 14 years and Kelly has yet to even take the field as coach. Reid’s flaws may be Kelly’s strengths. Reid was a terrible in-game manager, even worse with timeouts and one of the worst talent evaluators out there. At least Kelly will run the ball and play to the strengths of the team instead of chucking it 75 times a game because the guy is in love with the pass. Jordan is a stud and I would love to have him as well as more guys like him on my team.

12. tomcous says: Feb 26, 2013 9:50 AM

All former college coaches want their players to succeed. Builds-up their own resumé!

Nepotism at the NFL level would be absurdly hazardous to one’s job security … unless you say; own the team …

13. raiderufan says: Feb 26, 2013 9:58 AM

The only way the answer to that mindless drivel referred to as a question would be news worthy is if he didn’t say what he said. He spent more then 5 years recruiting, teaching and leading the kid! Of course he’s a pretty big fan of his work!

14. igglesrealist says: Feb 26, 2013 10:00 AM

This is a 2-4 win team this year. Chip gets 3 years to put a contender on the field. I don’t care who they draft, I just want a stud with the 4th pick. We need EVERYTHING. I’ll take a bad year to get a franchise QB in the 2014 draft.

15. thaoption1 says: Feb 26, 2013 10:06 AM

I’m a Eagles fan and I HOPE they fail miserably b/c of this hire. This was such a bad choice, so many guys out there with the right credentials and you choose this guy. 2 years and he jump ship back to the college ranks. Jeffery Lurie should jump off a bridge for hiring this bastard.

16. justwannawinna says: Feb 26, 2013 10:06 AM

Jordan has good speed and decent ability on tape. Given his potential he will rise. But thats the problem with drafting, potential shouldnt move a mid 2nd round pick on tape to a top ten pick due to potential and size. ( Refer to Jamarcus Russell) but ability should; Jarvis Jones has a spinal stenosis or he would have been a top 3 pick. Id rather have Star from Utah than Dion Jordan.

17. bobbyhoying says: Feb 26, 2013 10:08 AM

The Eagles do one thing well – misdirection. Who knows what the organization really thinks about any draft prospect? Wasn’t it Buddy Ryan who talked up guys he had no interest in? How often did Andy endorse a guy before benching him or cutting him? Maybe Jeff & Howie saw that characteristic in Chip.

18. myeaglescantwin says: Feb 26, 2013 10:09 AM

if Joekel is drafted before #4,
    the best move would be to slide back but stay in the the top 15.

The past two drafts have seen QBs overvalued to the point where i would not be shocked if there was a bounty waiting to get Geno Smith @ 4.

the eagls have so many holes,,, now they released basically the entire DL. we need draft picks to rebuild.
    No one at 4 has that star power or talent to tell me not to trade back.

19. wwwmattcom says: Feb 26, 2013 10:25 AM

I meant to say has been blocked by wide receivers.

20. bobonmycob says: Feb 26, 2013 10:44 AM

In Chip we trust

21. trojanwarrior007 says: Feb 26, 2013 10:46 AM

gotta love the smell of smokescreens in the morning.

22. sjoyner59 says: Feb 26, 2013 11:00 AM

and Andy had them in the playoffs in year 2 don’t forget,I hope he is not Steve Spurrior but there is a chance he is

23. colbycal1383 says: Feb 26, 2013 11:25 AM

Would the “eagles” fans like thaoption get a life please! Chip hasn’t even coached a practice yet and you’re bashing him! What was chip supposed to say about his player?! I don’t know how you can say you’re a real fan and want them to fail. Go birds

24. rugbyisbetter says: Feb 26, 2013 11:29 AM

Im good with Chip Kelly, it has taken me a little bit because I was pulling for the Gus Bus…

But the guy seems to be a very quick thinker (the anti-reid). From going back and checking out his Oregon teams, he has a lot of flexibility in his system and seemed to go to his strengths (again, anti-Reid).

Of course I am basing this all on his offense, I know nothing of his defense. Thus I am still skeptical on what it will look like and how it will attack.

For the 4th? Best available, screw need. We need everything.

25. ccjcsr says: Feb 26, 2013 11:43 AM

Looks like they have their man!

26. ncs115 says: Feb 26, 2013 11:49 AM

He is a wide receiver that was turned IMO a defender halfway through his college career. Very inexperienced. Not to mention he is going to have shoulder surgery and may not be ready for training camp. A team would have to be insane to draft him at 4. That being said, welcome to the Eagles.

27. tombstone7 says: Feb 26, 2013 11:53 AM

To all the prognosticaters on this post, Dion is a great young man. I also had the privilege of watching him play here at Oregon and I can tell you that he is a leader of men. I have been on the sidelines hearing him exhort his teammates to victory when it looked dim. He accepted the position change ( most guys wouldn’t succeed) and developed into a special player. I watched him matured along with his teammates and they rallied around Coach Chip Kelly to WTD (that’s Win The Day) for those of you on East Coast who was well asleep when Oregon was kicking butt PST.

The NFC East has a new Sheriff in town! Dallas, Are You Listening?!

28. mantei says: Feb 26, 2013 11:56 AM

Something tells me Milliner is the pick at 4…

29. Obama's Ballsack says: Feb 26, 2013 12:11 PM

Wouldn’t matter because the Eagles have Mike Vick..and we all know what I mean by that.

30. jwreck says: Feb 26, 2013 12:34 PM

ryanrockzzz says: Feb 26, 2013 9:04 AM

Even Chip Kelly knows how to use a smokescreen when he has one.
    _______
    ravenmuscle says: Feb 26, 2013 9:45 AM

Like Joekle…eric fisher…etc
    ____________
    I haven’t heard about the labrum surgery, but the idea that they would take Jordan with the 4th pick is simply ridiculous. With this year’s deep crop of defensive linemen, he should be there in round 2. If the labrum surgery thing is true, he could even be there in round three or four.

Moreover, like ravenguy said, there is simply no way the Eagles don’t go O-line with their first rounder. If they do anything else, they are going to get eaten alive, especially in the NFC East, and especially if they run Chip Kelly’s Oregon offense. Joeckel will probably be gone by that point, so Eric Fisher will almost definitely be the pick.

31. jwreck says: Feb 26, 2013 1:15 PM

tombstone7 says: Feb 26, 2013 11:53 AM

To all the prognosticaters on this post, Dion is a great young man.
    The NFC East has a new Sheriff in town! Dallas, Are You Listening?!
    __________
    Dear team that went 3-3 in the division,

We’re coming for you!

sincerely,
    Team that went 1-5 in the division

While I agree with you about Jordan, a prognosticator can tell the future– what you’re trying to say is “would-be/wannabe prognosticators”.

32. andyreidisthegoat says: Feb 26, 2013 1:53 PM

The NFC East has a new Sheriff in town! Dallas, Are You Listening?!

you’re funny

33. eaglesfanalways says: Feb 26, 2013 3:19 PM

$10 says the Eagles trade out of the #4 spot to get more draft picks.

34. dallascowboysdishingthereal says: Feb 27, 2013 3:53 PM

It’s just a matter of time before Chipper has the eagles running around in those ridiculous Duck feather uniforms on Sunday. Wait and see…