John Harbaugh to get a statue at his college

John Harbaugh AP

Retired Ravens linebacker Ray Lewis may get a statue in Baltimore.  Ravens coach John Harbaugh will get a statue at his college in Ohio.

Miami University (Ohio) announced Tuesday that John Harbaugh will be immortalized in Yager Stadium’s Cradle of Coaches Plaza with a bronze, full-body statue.

“Miami is a very special place and as anyone who played or coached at Miami knows that the Cradle of Coaches is a great honor,” Harbaugh said in a press release. “To me, there is no greater recognition in coaching. To be included with these great men is something only dreamed about.”

Harbaugh will join a group of Miami (Ohio) greats that includes Earl “Red” Blaik, Paul Brown, Carm Cozza, Paul Dietzel, Wilbur “Weeb” Ewbank, Ara Parseghian, John Pont, and Glenn “Bo” Schembechler.

Schembechler coached at Michigan, the school at which Jim Harbaugh played football well enough to become a first-round draft pick.  Perhaps Michigan will one day erect a statute of Jim, preferably with a pose that captures the full-body dry heave in which he engages after a critical call doesn’t go his team’s way.

Permalink 20 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Baltimore Ravens, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
20 Responses to “John Harbaugh to get a statue at his college”
  1. scrapingthefloorioforstorios says: Feb 26, 2013 6:11 PM

got me again. i was wondering why michigan would do that. another hook.

2. skoobyfl says: Feb 26, 2013 6:12 PM

I’d pick a metal that no one will steal in OH, if there is one.

3. lapsncaps says: Feb 26, 2013 6:13 PM

Paul Brown, an Ohio great? I am confused.

4. keylimelight says: Feb 26, 2013 6:16 PM

I’ll say it again. I don’t think statues should be erected for living people [see: Paterno]. Nor should there be buildings, streets, airports, plazas, etc. named after them either (and that goes double for politicians.)

5. cooklynn17 says: Feb 26, 2013 6:20 PM

Why???

6. SilentMajority says: Feb 26, 2013 6:29 PM

My God! They’ll build a statue for anyone nowadays…

7. reed20fence says: Feb 26, 2013 6:43 PM

Love me some Ray and love me some Harbs but I kinda agree with keylime… statues ought to be for the departed.

8. ravenator says: Feb 26, 2013 6:49 PM

Awesome. Harbs is the man. Super Bowl winning coach.

9. charman11 says: Feb 26, 2013 7:03 PM

And it’s gotta be in Ohio, man we just can’t catch a break. Being a Browns fan and all first we don’t get him as a coach not that we could have but still being from Ohio and all but then he coaches for the ravens the team from where you know. And now he’s getting a staute in Ohio for coaching the well you know.. just saying.
    I mean good for him heck of a job and they are tuff no question about that so anyway just saying it figures. Gettin a statue in Ohio for coaching the team that was the Browns and winning a SB with that team and have to have a statue in Ohio for for doin it..LOL crazy.

10. tfoz5150 says: Feb 26, 2013 7:05 PM

Way to go Johnny H!

11. sourdoughsam says: Feb 26, 2013 7:13 PM

Love him or hate him, the man is on top of the football coaches’ world right now. A SB ring and a statue in the Cradle of Coaches… The only thing up from this if Canton. He’s got a ways to go to get there, but I think he’s the best coach in the league right now and I was saying this before I watched his team beat my Niners in the Super Bowl.

12. kskins4life says: Feb 26, 2013 7:14 PM

O so he wins one superbowl and gets a statue. Bill Belichick has 3 as head coach and I don’t see his :( face on any statues

13. Punk says: Feb 26, 2013 7:28 PM

That was a long way to go for a mediocre chuckle

14. 10kmp says: Feb 26, 2013 7:41 PM

That Woody Hayes, by far the most successful and accomplished of all the Miami NCAA coaching alumni, doesn’t have a statue in this plaza makes it incomplete at best, and invalid at worst. The official position of the university is that Hayes is a “member” of the cradle, but doesn’t have a statue for “undisclosed” reasons.

15. aaawall91 says: Feb 26, 2013 7:54 PM

Love and Honor.

16. chocopoppy says: Feb 26, 2013 8:15 PM

As a Miami alum and a Bengals fan, I’m not too pleased. What’s next, statues for John Gruden, Billick and Sean Payton at their colleges?

17. goodellisruiningtheleague says: Feb 26, 2013 8:41 PM

So is everyone getting statues now for winning 1 super bowl? This is all ignorant

18. djcrabby8 says: Feb 27, 2013 1:53 AM

I’d like to get into bronze work a bit more. Maybe build a statue for myself back at school in honor of my intramural flag football championship back in 08. I mean if we are going to decide that just anyone can have a statue, I want to be a part of that.

19. jessejames182 says: Feb 27, 2013 10:27 AM

Maybe we should stop watching so much football guys, we’re giving these guys too much credit.

20. guitarkevin says: Feb 27, 2013 12:40 PM

Ravens fan here.
    Coach Harbs has accomplished some stuff that no other coach has in the first 5 years of coaching. But a statue already?
    Sorry, but his career needs to play out first in my opinion.