Dannell Ellerbe: “My heart is in Baltimore”

Super Bowl XLVII - Baltimore Ravens v San Francisco 49ers Getty Images

While all the focus has been on getting Joe Flacco a new deal, the Ravens have other work to do as well.

And for what it’s worth, linebacker Dannell Ellerbe says he wants to stay, too.

Ellerbe told WNST Radio in Baltimore (via SportsRadioInterviews.com), that Baltimore had an emotional pull.

“I’m looking forward to making the best out of everything,” Ellerbe said. “The team that I play for, the money that I get, the situation I’m going into and all of that plays into it. I already have a Super Bowl. I want to be in Baltimore. My heart is in Baltimore, I love Baltimore, I love the fans, I love talking to y’all guys and I know I’m not going to talk to y’all somewhere else.”

Permalink 17 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Baltimore Ravens, Home, Rumor Mill
17 Responses to “Dannell Ellerbe: “My heart is in Baltimore””
  1. jimmymcnultysbottleofjameson says: Feb 27, 2013 9:06 AM

This is no surprise. Players don’t want to leave this organization because Steve Bisciotti, Oz, & co. are doing the right things. The fans are in love with this team and are die hard for their town and their sports. So funny that Tagliabue never acknowledged this and thought Jacksonville and Charlotte were better sports towns… well now he can bow to 2 fingers of full of diamonds. Ellerbe is a great product of Ray’s mentorship, really hope he stays in purple.

2. freepretzels says: Feb 27, 2013 9:08 AM

For my money, he might be more important to the team than Flacco.

3. ravens4fr says: Feb 27, 2013 9:09 AM

Even Michael Phelps knows who the No. 1 team is, even if he is a fellow Bmoron!

4. RavenzGunnerz says: Feb 27, 2013 9:09 AM

What can I say. The guy balled. He was literally playing his position and lewis’ position in the sb. Ray had a bad game that day.

When he pushed Frank gore out of bounds to prevent the run in td, the niners were not able to get the remaining yards and the ravens won their 2nd sb.

Pay the man.

5. ravenator says: Feb 27, 2013 9:15 AM

Of course it is. Most hearts would be with world champion fans like Baltimore. Winning the super bowl is just icing on the cake. I still hear the seven nation army chant echoing off the superdome. Simply awesome! Hate on haters.

6. humbleminded85 says: Feb 27, 2013 9:24 AM

“That’s the kind of good will a Super Bowl brings you, but after the Ravens took a chance on him as an undrafted rookie, he’s more willing to work with them.”

Instead of cheesy over the top one-liners to end every article(Florio), this last tidbit is not only well thought out but something Dannell has actually mentioned several times on local radio here. Good work Mr. Gantt on reporting a story and not trying to be comedian like some of your peers.

7. rockthered1286 says: Feb 27, 2013 10:07 AM

It’s already been said in Baltimore that Ellerbe is priority 1B to Flacco’s 1A. The Ravens have been in constant contact with Ellerbe. Meanwhile we’ve not wasted time reaching out to Kruger, who will inevitably get overpaid(remember folks- 6 of his 10.5 sacks came against rookie tackles, and the rest were all post-Sizzle return when teams focused on Suggs) or Cary “oh snap when did the receiver cut back and catch the ball?” Williams. Ellerbe will be crucial to this D for years to come, and I hope we find a way to lock him up long term. Then focus on Q.

8. ytownjoe says: Feb 27, 2013 10:37 AM

The NFL is about parity. Everybody can’t get paid. Somebody has to go to Cleveland to get the check.

9. swagger52 says: Feb 27, 2013 10:41 AM

Ho hum…Mike Wallace, Santonio Holmes said the same thing about staying in Pittsburgh for life. Oh wait!!!! This has got to drive Steeler fans crazy. It helps that Baltimore is not a dump.

10. lackofabetter says: Feb 27, 2013 10:59 AM

“My heart is in Baltimore”- said no one ever.

11. fuglyflorio says: Feb 27, 2013 11:15 AM

His wallet might go elsewhere though.

12. crownofthehelmet says: Feb 27, 2013 11:24 AM

They’ve decided to erect a statue for him if he signs.

13. swagger52 says: Feb 27, 2013 12:18 PM

So many Ravens haters…Jealously and Envy shorten your life. They can’t stand the statues, the rings, the Hollywood appearances, etc. Who would have thought Ravens Super Bowl wins would help save Social Security, as Patriot fans lives are shortened from the stress.

14. edgarpoe3 says: Feb 27, 2013 1:19 PM

lackofabetter says:
    Feb 27, 2013 10:59 AM
    “My heart is in Baltimore”- said no one ever.
    ————————
    You obviously didn’t read the article. :p

15. thegreatgabbert says: Feb 27, 2013 1:33 PM

Now that Dannel has the hook line and title of his new song, he just has to fill in the rest of the lyrics.

16. thestatsishere says: Feb 27, 2013 2:06 PM

I like Ellerbe and I respect him and this is not directed at him unless he actually does fit this.

I am sick and tired of players who get emotional and say that I’m a (insert team logo) and I wanna stay here because I love it, but they aren’t willing to take paycuts in order to help out the cap space. I find it hypocritical. How much money do you have to make?

17. ppdoc13 says: Feb 27, 2013 2:40 PM

he was a good talent coming out of college who had serious problems with maturity. Harbs took a chance on him and he spent a lot of time in the dog house learning how to play the Raven Way. Now he is ready to cash in either here or somewhere else having spent 5 years working in Bmore, working with Ray, and learning that there is no I in Team.

Ellerbe deserves what he gets. He could have gone either way and chose to do things the right way and I am glad for him for that. I hope he continues to make good decisions in his life and learns to bank and invest his money so that he can take what he has earned off of football set himself up for the rest of his life. Another good Ozzie story.