Josh Cribbs: I’d take a slight pay cut, but not a huge pay cut, to stay

Cleveland Browns v Baltimore Ravens Getty Images

Josh Cribbs has played his entire NFL career with the Browns after playing his college football at nearby Kent State, and he’s eager enough to stick around that he’d be willing to give the Browns a hometown discount. Just not too big a hometown discount.

Cribbs, who is about to become a free agent, said on 92.3 The Fan in Cleveland that he doesn’t have any kind of update on contract negotiations. But he’s still hoping things can be worked out.

It’s at a standstill right now,” Cribbs said, via SportsRadioInterviews.com. “I’m hearing a lot of different meetings are being scheduled with different teams and everything. My plan is to stay with the team as much as possible, even to take a slight pay cut. But at the same time, not huge pay cuts. And I’m trying to work with the team. I want to be a Brown. I want to end my career here. We have the coaches to do it now, to take it to the next level, and I definitely want to be there.”

According to Cribbs, he and his camp have shown more interest in getting a deal done than the Browns’ front office has.

“Right now, it doesn’t seem like the interest level is there with upper management,” Cribbs said. “I want to be a Brown. I want to continue my career here. I want to retire a Cleveland Brown, and that’s my intention. I’m gonna go as far as I can with the team to make a compromise.”

Cribbs said late last season that he was frustrated by the way he was being used (or not being used) in the Browns’ offense. He still feels that way, and he isn’t sure if the new coaching staff has any plans for him.

“I know I haven’t been used to my potential,” Cribbs said. “My thing with coaches and upper management — mostly with upper management — you draft guys and guys come in that’s new, they have to play. And it shouldn’t be this way. It should be the best guys that’s gonna help you win that play.”

If Cribbs wants to show that he can help a team win, he may need to do it somewhere other than Cleveland.

Permalink 17 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Cleveland Browns, Home, Rumor Mill
17 Responses to “Josh Cribbs: I’d take a slight pay cut, but not a huge pay cut, to stay”
  1. saudogg says: Feb 27, 2013 12:56 PM

No thanks. Dude became completely irrelevant after is stupid “PAY DA MAN” campaign. Only 1 return TD since his new contract is completely unacceptable. I appreciate his enthusiasm for Cleveland, but as a football player, he hardly has any value. The Browns are set in the return game with Travis Benjamin.

2. bucksnknucks says: Feb 27, 2013 1:02 PM

Slight pay cut Josh?? You would have to take the league minimum for me to want you to stay in Cleveland. Your value was special teams and that has dropped off considerably ever since you got your contract. Not to mention your constant jabbering to local talk shows and on Twitter. I’m just done with you as a Browns fan. It’s time for you and the Browns to move on. I’d rather they bring back Dawson.

3. blackngold4life says: Feb 27, 2013 1:06 PM

He’s still on the Browns??

4. crownofthehelmet says: Feb 27, 2013 1:08 PM

Flacco-Cribbs Connection. Has a nice ring to it.

5. brownoholic says: Feb 27, 2013 1:10 PM

Yeah, LOVE the man, but unless Chud & Norv can fit him into the offense, unlike the others, he has so little impact. Still somewhat a threat on returns and a monster gunner, but he’s older and not worth even medium money….

6. beardinals says: Feb 27, 2013 1:17 PM

From a business standpoint – just plain stupid to say you’ll take less money before negotiations start.

7. vertskate900 says: Feb 27, 2013 1:23 PM

He wants to stay a Brown and finish his career there??? Can some independent neurologist please check Cribbs for brain damage?

8. osubrndn says: Feb 27, 2013 1:24 PM

he’s worthless.

9. blantoncollier says: Feb 27, 2013 1:28 PM

Cribbs has played for Romeo Crennel, Eric Mangini and Pat Shurmur–three different styles of offense. Not one has been able to find a place for Cribbs. Maybe its because he doesnt have the skills..

He has lost a step. He whines when he doesnt get his way–(google his reactions after the 2010 season). There are younger and cheaper Josh Cribbs type players out there. Including Travis Benjamin who can catch the ball!

10. granadafan says: Feb 27, 2013 1:33 PM

His agent just did a facepalm. Yeah, great way to improve your negotiating stance by publicly announcing you’re willing to take a pay cut.

11. comatrip1 says: Feb 27, 2013 1:35 PM

saudogg says:
    Feb 27, 2013 12:56 PM

——————————-

I totally agree with you man! Cribbs angered me so bad with the ‘Pay Da Man’ campaign when he tried turning the fans on the organization. He did nothing since getting paid. Such a waste.

12. godofwine330 says: Feb 27, 2013 1:43 PM

Teams underestimate the importance of a special teams ace, refuse to pay him and then the teams suffer the following few years. It happened with Kassim Osgood with the Chargers, he left and the teams went in the tunks. Football has 3 sides – offense, defense and special teams. If you don’t value all three you won’t win in this league.

I think Cribbs could be a decent 3rd or 4th receiver, but coaches always put draft picks higher because of their draft status and it is wrong like Cribbs said. I hope he stays, I like the guy. If he leaves the teams will suffer, I promise you. Browns fans think Benjamin can do it just because he got a long TD on a trick play, but don’t be fooled by fools gold. Cribbs was top 5 in both PR AND KO returns even at 29.

13. baymac408 says: Feb 27, 2013 1:51 PM

He will go to another team and play better..

14. humpofdc says: Feb 27, 2013 2:09 PM

Josh, come on back home to DC. You are one of the best players on that sorry team. You are wasting away with those bumbs. They will never be relevant. HTTR!!

15. doe22us says: Feb 27, 2013 2:29 PM

Josh Cribbs is done, so is Hester. I haven’t seen any game changing players from either player in almost two years.

16. td40 says: Feb 27, 2013 3:09 PM

As a receiver, dude is 3rd/slot material at best- so he’s not really worth paying anything significant for in that department- and for the last few years, when Cribbs has returned a kick, he’s gone down on first contact nearly every time. Dude doesn’t have the ability to make anyone miss anymore. ‘Nuff said.

17. dws123 says: Feb 27, 2013 6:33 PM

Field position is a big part of the game and Josh Cribbs was #3 in the league last year in return yards last year. While I’m not itching to throw the bank at him, I do hope the front office can get some REASONABLE numbers aligned for him. For what this guy does in the community, it would be great to see him retire as a Brown.