Tom Brady steering clear of contract talk

New England Patriots quarterback Tom Brady celebrates his first half touchdown pass against the Baltimore Ravens with teammate Wendell during the NFL AFC Championship football game in Foxborough Reuters

Since restructuring his deal this week to provide the Patriots with a lot of salary cap room and himself a pile of guaranteed cash, quarterback Tom Brady has become one of the league’s biggest talking points.

But he doesn’t want to talk about it.

Brady passed on a request for an interview with Boston’s WEEI radio (where he makes weekly paid appearances during the season), but sent an email to John Dennis of the Dennis & Callahan show.

I don’t want to talk about this on the radio or anywhere else for that matter,” Brady wrote, via the station’s website. “Athletes are always talking about money at a time when everyone else is struggling so badly to make it. We all make way more than our fair share. And I just think it reflects poorly on myself and my teammates.

“I really do just want to win, and that has and will continue to be the reason that motivates me and is the biggest factor in my decision-making process.”

Even though he’s sensitive to looking like a heel, Brady is actually enjoying the best of both worlds in this deal. Half (or more) of the football world is thanking him for taking less than he’s worth, turning him into some kind of martyr for the cause. The other half thinks he’s jamming future players by taking less than he possibly could (which is Bob Kraft’s last nickel), but that’s easily spun back into what a great teammate he is since he’s helping the Patriots add more talent. Both ways, he’s lining his pockets.

As with most things Brady, it’s almost hard to screw up, but he’s not going to risk that double-edged goodwill by talking.

Permalink 30 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, New England Patriots, Rumor Mill
30 Responses to “Tom Brady steering clear of contract talk”
  1. rushmatic says: Feb 27, 2013 11:28 AM

Try as hard as you will, Florio, but Brady will do what he has to do to win. The team isn’t going to ask him to make 30K a year, as you might want, but I bet he’d consider taking it for a better shot to win another title.

2. ijahru says: Feb 27, 2013 11:33 AM

There is nothing negative about what Tom Brady did unless you are one of those “I got to feed my kids” type of athletes who think respect is equated to the size of your paycheck. Bravo Mr Brady

3. h3min1230 says: Feb 27, 2013 11:36 AM

The things id give up for a chance to bath this man..

4. tremoluxman says: Feb 27, 2013 11:36 AM

Well gee, Tom, you’re just such a considerate guy for not rubbing it in our faces about how much you make. I warms my heart to know that you’re merely playing for the love of the game and the owners are probably just forcing you to take all that money. I can see how that would make a humble guy like you uncomfortable talking about all those millions.

5. ftblfan9 says: Feb 27, 2013 11:37 AM

The guy clearly and unambiguously took a below market deal no matter how anyone wants to portray it on this site. Whether you like him and/or the Patriots or not, he deserves some credit.

6. deerpathdave says: Feb 27, 2013 11:40 AM

What I find interesting about this contract is that Brady seems to be thinking in terms of the next two years only. He makes an extra $3M for those two years and frees up cap space to make the team more competitive for those two years. Than he retires.

7. patriotnation12 says: Feb 27, 2013 11:41 AM

I wish every NFL teams fans could feel what it’s like to have TB12 be their QB.
    Ummmm…jk.
    Haters keep on hating!
    I love it.

8. deerpathdave says: Feb 27, 2013 11:42 AM

Seems obvious that Brady will either retire in two years or they will tear up this contract and do a new one.

9. truetrue85 says: Feb 27, 2013 11:47 AM

This is the sort of thing that separates Brady from the rest. This isn’t news to Patriots fans because he’s been doing it his entire career to keep this team in the hunt. At times when Peyton ManningManning and Drew Brees are handicapping their team for a big payday, Brady is taking less to keep his competitive. Love him or hate him, you can’t argue that this guy isn’t in it to win.

10. harrisonhits2 says: Feb 27, 2013 11:48 AM

“The other half thinks he’s jamming future players by taking less than he possibly could (which is Bob Kraft’s last nickel), ”

Are you really that unaware of what NFL owners are worth ?

Kraft has a net worth of 1.7 billion. So no, he could pay Brady 10 times what he just did and it would be a long long long way from Kraft’s ‘last nickle’

11. hockeyfan28 says: Feb 27, 2013 11:55 AM

His wife made around 50 million last year guess he’ll just have to struggle and deliver pizzas to make extra money

12. micknangold says: Feb 27, 2013 11:56 AM

“I’d rather just talk about my hair products and how I don’t see my first son ever.” – Tom Brady

13. lovefootball4life says: Feb 27, 2013 11:58 AM

As much as I can’t stand Brady at least he understands the disparity. It is a funny mental image thinking of him hunched over a computer pecking out an e-mail.

14. ravensterpsarmystrong says: Feb 27, 2013 12:00 PM

Not a Pat’s fan but this is just smart! Leaving money on the table enables teams to compete consistently year in and year out! Some players never get that it’s not all about them. See you in B-more again next season TB!

15. patsfiend says: Feb 27, 2013 12:16 PM

All the complainers and haters, all of you, would be doing back flips if your QB / team did this same thing, and would be lauding their greatness if on top of it, they released a quote like Brady’s email above. The only reason you guys have a problem with it, the only one, is that this is Tom Brady, Belichick, and the Patriots.

Eventually, you’re going to just have to accept that A) The Pats are contenders until this guy retires and B) Brady and Belichick are the best coach / QB combo of the Super Bowl era.

16. nzayir says: Feb 27, 2013 12:17 PM

This websites feelings about Tom Brady and the Patriots have become more obvious then ever. From implying that Brady is getting paid under the table to acting like he didn’t take a pay cut at all to help the team surround him with talent the writers here clearly have an anti-Patriots bias.

Patriots fans (well for the most part) know how lucky we are to have Tom Brady as our quarterback. These are the good ol’ days mainly because of Brady.

17. jalbs says: Feb 27, 2013 12:37 PM

This website doesn’t do a good job of hiding its’ bias against the Pats. A wife of a player could wear white after Labor Day and it would turn into Garmentgate.

18. tedmurph says: Feb 27, 2013 12:38 PM

Brady did leave some money on the table, but he got 30 mil guaranteed for the next 2 yrs and gets the next 27 mil guaranteed if he’s on the roster at the end of 2014, which he almost certainly will be. That’s about the same guaranteed money that Brees(60 mil) and Manning(58) got in their deals, and they were free agents, which is usually more expensive. So while he helped the team with cap space, he didn’t exactly take a beating. And that’s assuming they don’t tweak the deal after the 2nd yr.

19. guitarkevin says: Feb 27, 2013 12:52 PM

And I bet Brady’s poop smells like strawberries.

20. scrp2 says: Feb 27, 2013 12:57 PM

While Brady right now has everyone mesmerized with his humble “sacrificing for the team” act, wait till it turns into a Favre-like ego-out-of-control holding the Patriots hostage when he’s 40.

21. smalltownqb says: Feb 27, 2013 1:01 PM

Hater or not I do not see how you can fault Tom Brady for his decision to take less money and not want to talk about it. Anyone who reads this site daily follows the sport close enough to know this is nothing new to Brady.

As for PFT – they know what buttons to push. I think they like it when you tell them they are ganging up on a specific team. Florio is still the same smart@ss as he was when he was peddling hats and fantasy advice years ago. I am sure he has his team going after the topics he knows are going to get the chatter high here.

22. gallyhatch says: Feb 27, 2013 1:26 PM

Tom Brady could donate a year’s salary to charity, and people would find something negative about it.

The guy takes a team friendly deal to free up cap space & those who dislike him automatically cry shenanigans. It makes me think a lot of you don’t even have brains in your heads.

Of course, if my team hadn’t sniffed a modicum of the success the Pats have experienced over the last 12 years, I would be a jealous troll too.

23. lalnh says: Feb 27, 2013 1:46 PM

micknangold says:
    Feb 27, 2013 11:56 AM

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    You’re so quick to judge a man you don’t know. Such jealousy. Tom is a doting father – of ALL his children. His first son comes and spends time in NE during the season – if you read the Boston papers, they’re stories of the family activities. The media tracks them down whenever they go out to eat, or even go to a family indoor playground. There are pictures of him on the field with the 2 little boys during the season. His new house is in the same town as Bridget, not far away. Even Bridget says he’s a great dad. Watch his face when he talks about his children – it lights up like any proud, loving dad.

Your jealous of a man you don’t even know. It’s pathetic. Hate him because he’s not on your team, or you don’t like how he plays football, but, you have no right to comment on his love for his children. Very Sad.

24. luckyarmpit says: Feb 27, 2013 2:30 PM

Brady isn’t stupid. He plays the “oh poor me” card but is probably laughing all the way to the bank. Instead of “restructuring” your contract which is nothing more than rearranging when you get your money, why not simply take a pay cut? Not like you and your equally-rich wife could realistically spend what you have…

25. ampats says: Feb 27, 2013 2:54 PM

micknangold says,

and how I don’t see my first born son.

Tom Brady

Funny coming from a fan of the team the employs A Cromartie.

26. rrjr80 says: Feb 27, 2013 3:12 PM

Now if only he could only outplay Joe Flacco in the playoffs.

27. gallyhatch says: Feb 27, 2013 4:34 PM

luckyarmpit says:
    Feb 27, 2013 2:30 PM

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Show me one example of him playing the “poor me card”.

Did you even read this or any other article about this contract re-negotiation?

I love how people stick to their opinions despite the facts. It shows an incredible amount of intelligence.

28. iamapatsfan says: Feb 27, 2013 9:58 PM

luckyarmpit says:
    Feb 27, 2013 2:30 PM

He did take a pay cut. He’s getting approx 15 mil a year for the next 5 years. That’s significantly less than the top-tier QB open market is going for. If he played out his contract and went to the open market in 2 years, I have no doubt he could have gotten 23 mil or more a year for a couple years, bar some crazy medical problem or sudden drop in skill.

I’m not saying he’s not raking the cash, he is. I’m not going to see a million in my entire career, probably, but compared to his peers, he’s definitely taking less than he could in order to get a better team around him to win.

29. lanman11 says: Feb 27, 2013 11:57 PM

There is a reason that the most expensive NFL ticket you can buy, anywhere, any time, is when Tom Brady and THE New England Patriots come to town. Hate them if you must. It only makes the game day experience that much more fun. BUT, when you glance down the schedule and see that name, you know it’s the game you want to see, even though deep down, you fear it.

You know what I mean.

30. patpatriot7 says: Feb 28, 2013 7:25 AM

Brady also renegotiated his contract seven years ago in order to help the Patriots’ salary cap, long before he even knew Giselle. What does how much money your wife makes have to do with YOUR salary? How many of YOU would accept the rationale that your boss isn’t going to give you a raise because your wife makes more money at her job than you do? Did Peyton Manning ever consider giving the Colts or the Broncos a break on his contract because of all the money he has made from playing football and doing commercials? TB12 Twitter says it all “Just win!”