Jeremy Mincey says Jags should draft Bjoern Werner

Bjoern Werner AP

If defensive end Jeremy Mincey has any pull, the Jacksonville Jaguars will be adding some talent to the defensive line during the NFL draft in April.

In an interview with Chris Porter of WTLV-TV in Jacksonville, Mincey gave his thoughts on who the Jaguars should select with the No.2 overall pick in April’s draft.

“Probably (Bjoern) Werner from Florida State. I like that kid,” Mincey said. “I admire his work ethic. I admire his style of play. I think he’ll be a nice guy to pass the torch down to a few years from now. It’s just a good pick. I think he’ll fit right in.”

Werner is among the top defensive prospects in this year’s class and one of the top defensive ends along with Dion Jordan of Oregon and Ezekiel Ansah from BYU. Along with Mincey, the Jaguars also have Jason Babin, Andre Branch and Austen Lane under contract for next season at defensive end.

However, Mincey will not be submitting the draft card for the Jaguars come April. That responsibility will fall on new general manager Dave Caldwell. With the needs the Jaguars have, they’ll be in a position to take whomever the top rated player on their board is when they select but Jacksonville did rank dead last in the league in sacks last season. The Jaguars totaled just 20 sacks for the season, a full five sacks behind Oakland. Werner could be the upgrade the Jaguars need to finally bolster their pass rush next season.

Permalink 14 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Jacksonville Jaguars, Rumor Mill
14 Responses to “Jeremy Mincey says Jags should draft Bjoern Werner”
  1. flipola says: Feb 28, 2013 2:25 AM

I wouldn’t be as enthused about my team drafting my possible replacement.

2. ruthlssjag says: Feb 28, 2013 2:54 AM

Hmm.. Werner over all these other names, interesting..
    I still say a new regime calls for a new signal-caller, take your chances on Geno & keep your fingers crossed, bc we really do have some guys that can get to the QB, & hopefully with the new LEO position added to the scheme, someone like Mincey might thrive in, not to mention Babin as well.. Take Geno, or trade back a few spots if possible, get the extra picks & then take the best available DE on the board. Who knows, maybe Werner will still be there!

3. rollteal says: Feb 28, 2013 3:26 AM

Interesting. I think he has a hell of an upside but I question his quickspeed off the ball. He wouldn’t have even been the best DE out of Florida State if Tank & Jenkins didn’t get hurt. But I think he will be good.

4. ronworthdubbs says: Feb 28, 2013 3:53 AM

I would say that the low sack total is more indicative of their terrible offense than their defenders. Playing from behind constantly leaves fewer opportunities for sacks.

5. justiceborn says: Feb 28, 2013 4:21 AM

I don’t think He’ll be the first Seminole drafted possibly Rhodes or big Tank

6. kahnsbushymustache says: Feb 28, 2013 6:30 AM

“I think he’ll be a nice guy to pass the torch down to a few years from now.”

With 3 sacks last year, if Mince doesn’t start getting to the QB, he won’t be the one doing the torch-passing…

7. jagsandliquor says: Feb 28, 2013 7:43 AM

“Yeah draft
    Someone who can get to the quarterback…some who isn’t me!”

8. ccjcsr says: Feb 28, 2013 7:57 AM

Draft him, since Chad Henne should be the starting Qb

9. dg0122 says: Feb 28, 2013 8:36 AM

I like Werner but I just dont see top 15 pick when I watch him. He’s probably not even the best Euro in the draft

10. realfootballfan says: Feb 28, 2013 10:46 AM

It would be the smartest move they’ve made since the Coughlin era. Dude’s a stud and will be an All Pro for 10 years.It would be the smartest move they’ve made since the Coughlin era. Dude’s a stud and will be an All Pro for 10 years.

11. goatcheez says: Feb 28, 2013 12:25 PM

Werner’s pretty overrated. This coming from a diehard Noles fan. His low times in short drills like 3-cone and the 10 split in the 40 show his “quick first step” was more due to his snap anticipation than him actually having a quick first step. Which while a con to his quickness, is a pro in terms of his intelligence and awareness but the NFL won’t be as easy to jump snaps. He lacks pass rush moves, and gives pretty much no effort against the run. Wouldn’t draft him til late 1st personally. In terms of fit, Dion Jordan > Werner for the Jags.

12. thegreatgabbert says: Feb 28, 2013 1:54 PM

Mincey won’t be there in two years, much less “a few years”.

13. listerineman says: Feb 28, 2013 1:56 PM

i like that guy a lot. he does all the talking on not off the field. you dont get much media coverage when you draft the germanator, but you get a very good starter for years.

14. jagfan4212 says: Feb 28, 2013 7:33 PM

Agree with the overrated comment. He is good but nowhere near the top of the draft.