Kluwe, Ayanbadejo file Supreme Court brief in support of same-sex marriage

Kluwe Getty Images

Vikings punter Chris Kluwe and Ravens linebacker Brendon Ayanbadejo have put their money where their mouths are.

Kluwe and Ayanbadejo have submitted, via a lawyer, a brief to the United States Supreme Court regarding the issue of same-sex marriage, according to the St. Paul Pioneer Press.

On March 26, the Supreme Court will hear arguments in a case challenging the constitutionality of California’s ban on same-sex marriage.  The brief was filed by attorneys John Dragseth and Timothy Holbrook.

The legal system routinely allows for the filing of “friend of the court” briefs from entities not directly involved in the case.

As pointed out by Deadspin, the brief omits one of Kluwe’s more colorful terms for describing the unlikely societal impact of allowing persons of the same gender to marry.

Permalink 57 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Baltimore Ravens, Home, Minnesota Vikings, Rumor Mill
57 Responses to “Kluwe, Ayanbadejo file Supreme Court brief in support of same-sex marriage”
  1. Punk says: Feb 28, 2013 8:33 PM

I support same-sex marriage.

2. turkjones says: Feb 28, 2013 8:34 PM

I never thought I’d admire a Special Teamer and a Punter as much as anyone else in the league. And here we are.

3. logicalvoicesays says: Feb 28, 2013 8:36 PM

Kudos to Ayanbadejo. Kluwe is just an attention seeking punter though.

4. blacknole08 says: Feb 28, 2013 8:36 PM

I see no problem with this and I support their cause.

Divorce between man and woman is very prevalent in this country. Those people are happy and their decision has no impact on my life whatsoever.

5. charlesanakin says: Feb 28, 2013 8:37 PM

Blah blah blah.

6. sixjak says: Feb 28, 2013 8:38 PM

Fabuloussssss!!!!!

7. paulz624 says: Feb 28, 2013 8:40 PM

I wonder why these two are scared to admit their gay?

8. JSpicoli says: Feb 28, 2013 8:42 PM

Stop.

Just.

Stop.

9. topcide says: Feb 28, 2013 8:42 PM

it’s just a matter of time untill same sex marriage gets to the supreme court of the united states.

when that happens it will be legal nationwide per federal mandate as same sex marriage being banned is a direct violation of the 14th amendment.

10. daringanttsux says: Feb 28, 2013 8:42 PM

Get a room lol

11. truthfactory says: Feb 28, 2013 8:44 PM

Serious question here… Do those that support gay marriage also support incest?

You could technically make the same arguments for both.

“What do I care what they do?”
    “Whatever happens in their bedrooms is their business”
    “They don’t bother me”
    “It’s their choice”
    “…two consenting adults”
    etc…

Don’t the same arguments that support gay marriage also support incest?? And yet there is no outcry to legalize incest?

And if you are in favor of gay marriage, but against incest… does that now make YOU intolerant of other peoples lifestyle and choices??

12. jtchernak says: Feb 28, 2013 8:45 PM

Embarrassing

13. vikings1976 says: Feb 28, 2013 8:46 PM

I wish the Vikings would just find themselves a new punter….and a QB while they’re at it.

14. simonwelds says: Feb 28, 2013 8:46 PM

My only question is why is Brendon Ayanbadejo so hardcore about his opinion on this topic? is he hiding something…..

15. milesrunner262 says: Feb 28, 2013 8:50 PM

Jerry Jones wants credit for whatever decision the supreme court makes on this one too!!

16. gbmickey says: Feb 28, 2013 8:51 PM

Not that there is anything wrong with that!

17. jollyjoker2 says: Feb 28, 2013 8:53 PM

I would cut kluehe. Not that he is right or wrong but that he is using the NFL as his bully pulpit and damaging the league. He would be long gone in my world.

18. boyshole25 says: Feb 28, 2013 8:53 PM

Hey who gets to be the judge and jury of society? Answer: judges and juries case closed next

19. mataug says: Feb 28, 2013 8:54 PM

It is not like marriages between man and woman last long in this country, why not let people choose whom they want to spend their married life with

20. turkjones says: Feb 28, 2013 8:59 PM

simonwelds says:
    Feb 28, 2013 8:46 PM

———————————

As a member of a minority group, I’m sure Ayanbadejo can relate on some level to the discrimination inflicted on the LGBT community.

Or maybe he (like myself and tens of millions of other Americans) has a gay brother, sister, Aunt or Uncle who he has witnessed in a loving, healthy same sex relationship.

Or maybe he’s just an evolved human who has decided to use his pubic platform help protect basic human rights.

21. sterilizecromartie says: Feb 28, 2013 9:00 PM

Aww, look at the punter. He thinks he is people.

22. reed20fence says: Feb 28, 2013 9:06 PM

paulz624 says: Feb 28, 2013 8:40 PM

I wonder why these two are scared to admit their gay?

Exactly! And while we’re at it all the white people that were marching to support the Civil Rights movement should admit that they were really black.

23. samefamilymarriageadvocate says: Feb 28, 2013 9:09 PM

My sister and I are thrilled that they have joined the cause! Same family marriage between two consenting adults should be legal and I thank these two not-well known superstars for their support.

24. sadskinsfan89 says: Feb 28, 2013 9:10 PM

@truthfactory. That is the exact argument I pose to people. Very well stated

25. johnathanmoore04 says: Feb 28, 2013 9:17 PM

I’m sure Vikings fans would appreciate their punter focusing on football instead of putting his business up other peoples business.

26. mrlaloosh says: Feb 28, 2013 9:17 PM

Gay people should experience the same misery as straight couples. Just more money for divorce lawyers.
    Cue the religious right and their outrage. Phonies.

27. thegreatgabbert says: Feb 28, 2013 9:26 PM

Or as the judge referred to the two, The Odd Couple.Without suggestive or evocative intent.

28. davekezer says: Feb 28, 2013 9:30 PM

simonwelds says: Feb 28, 2013 8:46 PM

Maybe he just wants to make it easier for people to be happy?

29. briang123 says: Feb 28, 2013 10:38 PM

I am so happy that gays rights are now a part of the everyday conversation in the NFL. I only hope we start hearing more stories about the NFL and global warming, the NFL and abortion, the NFL and equal pay for women, and the NFL and racial preferences in college admissions. And when they are all done with those, they can get started on the lack of minority head coaches problem.

30. landof10000lakes says: Feb 28, 2013 10:52 PM

Kluwe takes a lot of heat, but at least he stands up for what he believes in.

31. cosanostra71 says: Feb 28, 2013 10:59 PM

I hope they win because I think Prop 8 was a horrible law and I voted against it, but in all honesty, I’m tired of hearing about Chris Kluwe and Brendan Ayanbadejo.

32. sportsmeccabi says: Feb 28, 2013 11:00 PM

The current Supreme Court has 5 conservatives to 4 liberals.

Two conservatives, Scalia and Thomas, are a lock to vote against gay marriage.
    The 4 liberals are a lock in favor of gay marriage.

The lawyers will just have to convince only one other judge to jump over, Roberts, Kennedy, or Alito.

I’m willing to bet Roberts and/Kennedy will be the one. They have both shown to crossover to the liberal side every once in a while.

33. db3300 says: Feb 28, 2013 11:27 PM

“I wonder why these two are scared to admit their gay?”

—————

*there

34. justintuckrule says: Feb 28, 2013 11:39 PM

It was this exact slow thinking that prevented blacks and whites from commingling until we became tolerant. Bottom line…if it don’t affect you or don’t result in unnatural offspring who have no rights to be protected, people should mind their own business and let people live the way that makes them happy. Myob

35. osage44 says: Feb 28, 2013 11:57 PM

These two guys are no more than attention-seeking a-holes. They have no business in this lawsuit. They have nothing to contribute to this matter other than their own obnoxious desire to get noticed. Tools.

36. souldogdave says: Mar 1, 2013 12:19 AM

I didn’t know they were married.

37. abninf says: Mar 1, 2013 12:43 AM

Punk says:

I support same-sex marriage.
    ===================================

I do not.

38. rgledz says: Mar 1, 2013 12:53 AM

Hey Paulz624…..maybe you should admit that you don’t have a solid hold on the English language. I think you were going for they’re…meaning they are….not their, which signifies ownership. Second grade stuff really, but you’ll get there ( again, not their) buddy. Keep trying.

39. threedeep1998 says: Mar 1, 2013 1:06 AM

Viking1976 – you’re an embarrassment to Viking fans.

40. bushido49ers says: Mar 1, 2013 1:43 AM

These comments are fascinating. I also support marriage equality.

41. pcarlson77 says: Mar 1, 2013 3:03 AM

equating a loving same sex relationship to incest is just pathetic. History is against bigots …. always has been.

I pray an nfl record holder comes out just to prove how little sexual orientation has to do with your athletic prowess.

42. blackandgoldblood says: Mar 1, 2013 3:08 AM

Given current divorce rates, marriage of any sort is a bullsh*t “institution” — ESPECIALLY the economic benefits such as preferential tax breaks and other “domestic” benefits for people who are in a “marriage” that may only last a few years.

How discriminatory — especially financially — against those people that choose not to be swayed by the “marriage” industries of expensive weddings and even more expensive divorce attorneys and the joys of restraining orders and “custody” — alternating or permanent — of any offspring and “child support” and failure to pay such “child support”.

43. joetoronto says: Mar 1, 2013 4:52 AM

Those of you that support gay marriage are the vocal minority.

You are NOT the majority, not even close.

44. vltrophy14 says: Mar 1, 2013 6:11 AM

God created Adam & Eve not Adam & Steve. If every heterosexual on the planet stopped having sex the human race would become extinct. If your in the NFL & are gay you should remain quiet. Marriage is between a man & woman. Gays shouldn’t be allowed to adopt either. You don’t see 2 male or 2 female animals going at it together.

45. reed20fence says: Mar 1, 2013 7:59 AM

Vltrophy:

G-d didn’t write the Constitution either. All men are created equal it says. Some Americans insisted that only meant white males when it was written. Then it included colored men. Then women. People mature. Their definitons expand.

Millions of Americans have a different reading of G-d. Many believe there are thousands. Some believe none. Others that he would never incarnate himself.

When did we decide it was ok to impose our G-d on others…by law nonetheless?

46. fwippel says: Mar 1, 2013 8:06 AM

It’d sure be nice to come out to a NFL web site and not have to read about someone pushing their political agenda. If I want to do that, I can go to political web sites.

I’ve grown tired of those who run this site trying to push their political views. I come here for NFL news. If this continues, I’ll simply look elsewhere.

47. ytsejamer1 says: Mar 1, 2013 8:15 AM

vltrophy14…stupid “parrots” shouldn’t be allowed to use computers, but whatever, it’s the world I live in.

Our kids and their kids 25 or 30 years from now are going to wonder what the deal was with this issue. It’s an equality issue, plain and simple. There will be plenty of hetero people continuing the human race, so there’s really nothing to worry about there. I would like to believe that and by and large, it’ll be the prevailing though…unfortunately there are people in some parts of this country are still smarting about the “war of northern aggression”.

I respect anyone’s opinion who themselves believe that marriage is between man and woman. For me it is the same! Great! We’re in agreement. What I CANNOT respect is someone telling someone else what their value of something should be.

As for Klewe and Ayanbadejo – I applaud their efforts to exercise their rights to try and change our country. They are being active and engaging in the process. Most of us just simply moan and complain while doing nothing. Cheers to them for putting the rubber on the road. I tip my cap to them.

48. dolphinsrule65 says: Mar 1, 2013 8:23 AM

“God created Adam & Eve” really?
    Science has proven behind an doubt that we as a HUMAN race evolved.
    ps..Evolution is the change in the inherited characteristics of biological populations over successive generations…read up ion it..
    Read some science journals and get informed..You are so busy getting preached too and reading from a black book…that has been translated and rewritten more times that anyone can count.

49. itsfootballbaby says: Mar 1, 2013 8:43 AM

“blackandgoldblood says: Mar 1, 2013 3:08 AM

TOTAL crock residue, whether secular or faith-based — of another masses-controlling opiate: religion!”
    —————————————————-

Somebody hit a nerve.

50. icecubeusedtobeangry says: Mar 1, 2013 9:49 AM

Why does it matter who marries who?

51. thehouseofho says: Mar 1, 2013 10:26 AM

It seems that gay marriage opponents always point to religion when arguing their point. What they don’t realize is that gay marriage advocates are fighting for benefits that are provided by our supposedly secular government (ie. tax breaks, child care, etc.).

Let’s say the only difference between “marriage” and a “civil union” was the inclusion (or exclusion) of a religion. What if a “civil union” and all the same rights and benefits of a “marriage” with the only difference being a “marriage” is performed by a religious house? Would gay marriage opponents object to that?

52. crownofthehelmet says: Mar 1, 2013 10:42 AM

I think these two crazy kids will make it.

53. Ponder This says: Mar 1, 2013 11:44 AM

dolphinsrule65 says:Mar 1, 2013 8:23 AM

“God created Adam & Eve” really?
    Science has proven behind an doubt that we as a HUMAN race evolved.
    ______

Most ignorant comment on this whole post and that’s saying a lot.

54. Punk says: Mar 1, 2013 12:09 PM

I’m still trying to figure out why it is assumed I am going to stop having sex because the dudes next door got married.

55. blanchonegro says: Mar 1, 2013 1:32 PM

@Truthfactory. LOVE IT! Wish I could like your comment a million more times.

56. stellarperformance says: Mar 1, 2013 4:34 PM

truthfactory says:
    Feb 28, 2013 8:44 PM
    Serious question here… Do those that support gay marriage also support incest? You could technically make the same arguments for both.
    ///////////////////////////////////////////

Marriage is an act of commitment. Incest is a sex act. The two are mutually exclusive.

57. dontfeedgigantor says: Mar 1, 2013 8:20 PM

“What they don’t realize is that gay marriage advocates are fighting for benefits that are provided by our supposedly secular government (ie. tax breaks, child care, etc.).”

I mentioned that in a post I made previously about why I don’t support gay marriage. But for some reason, every time I make a salient point, PFT deletes my comment. Here’s the original comment that got deleted:

“Don’t the same arguments that support gay marriage also support incest?”

Not at all, because the issue here is gay marriage RIGHTS. I’m sure that gay people would be perfectly happy with finding a church that will marry them if there weren’t any state involvement in marriage.

“God created Adam & Eve not Adam & Steve.”

Genesis is a story.

“If every heterosexual on the planet stopped having sex the human race would become extinct.”

We’re not talking about that, are we? We’re talking about legal recognition of gay couples.

“You don’t see 2 male or 2 female animals going at it together.”

Uh, actually you do. Nature is filled with examples of heterosexual animals (humans being one of the many).

Having said all that, I don’t support gay marriage rights because I don’t support state involvement in marriage. I think it discriminates against unmarried people. Giving married people special privileges legislates morality.